Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
The second American food comic I read was Anthony Bourdain's Hungry Ghosts. This one turned out to also not be a food comic, but a series of short horror stories. But it wasn't bad. It's an anthology so some of the stories are better than others, and some of the EC Comics style twists didn't really make a ton of sense. A guy refuses to give food to a starving man, so he gets torn in half by a giant skeleton. Fair enough. But the art overall was really good and helped sell the spookiness.

Hungry Ghosts is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Skwirl posted:

I just read Won Ton Soup. You should read Won Ton Soup

I should, I really like James Stokoe.

Alaois posted:

you'd think it'd be fairly easy to find out before reading that Voracious isn't actually a food comic but gently caress man, that's just beyond me

To be fair to me, none of the comics that I was recommended as food comics in the previous thread really looked like food comics.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm back in the clones and it's time for Exile.

Did you ever notice in the nineties how a character would show up and not really get a name except in an offhand mention in one panel by a guy who's all by himself and it might not even be clear that it's the character's name but then in the later issues everyone knows this guy's trademarkable name like they got the trading card set for their crossover? Yeah, "Helix" is one of those guys.

I am really hating that New Warriors has been added to the mix. The previous issue was a lead into Maximum Clonage and this issue is a follow up, and there's two remaining issues before I reach the end of the Marvel timeline. It just makes me mad that there's now five books a month. And that would go to six except when I pass beyond to Ben-Spider-Man I'm not reading any of those New Warriors issues unless they are explicitly part of the clone storyline. I'm reading enough lovely books, I don't need them adding more.

D'spayre is a villain who should never be seen outside of something like a Dr. Strange story and yet he keeps turning up in superhero stories. Is he the embodiment of clinical depression? Then why is he always going around telling superheroes they should be sad? He shouldn't have to do anything! And all of these stories are the exact same. "Look at me, I'm a scary skull faced guy. Your life is so hosed up!" "You're right, scary skull face guy, I should mope around for the required number of pages and then go find a high place that I can throw myself off of... but wait! A chance encounter has reaffirmed my life choices of engaging in violence against mentally ill people to maintain my comfortable status quo!" "No! My standing around and telling you how much you suck is no match for your inherent marketability!"

I also don't like energy vampire Vulture. It feels like a make over to try to make him more threatening by having him kill everyone around him and that's so lazy.

So after Maximum Clonage seemed to be all about getting to the point that they can transition from Peter to Ben, the next issue was "Nope, we're sticking with things the way they are." Which wouldn't be believable in 1995 even without the advantage of knowing that this train is going to be wrecking for almost another year and a half. And even when this comic was released, the solicits would have been out for months telling readers that Peter was quitting. It feels so needless to even try this.

It's awfully convenient for the story in Unlimited that the security guard to have had degrees in biochemistry and physics in order to deliver all that exposition to Ben.

The worst part of this storyline is that it's not a storyline, it's four stand alone comics but they put "Exile part X of 4!" on each cover. Because you got keep fleecing those sheep.

Hey, the Adjectiveless issue is one of the rare times that Marvel included the letter column on Unlimitted. Let's see what people are sayings:

Luke Kendall posted:

I think all of the Spider-titles at the moment are exquisite, mysterious, and exciting!

Daniel Valois posted:

A third Peter Parker? Now I'm really confused!

Joe Kucharski posted:

Kaine's business is still shrouded, but my guess is he's the future self of Peter Parker.

Really, Joe? In an ongoing storyline about clones, you're going with time travel?

Gregory Downing posted:

Don't carry this in on for too long.

I wish.

Two more story arcs to go in Marvel's clone saga itinerary (found at https://www.marvel.com/comics/discover/523/spider-man-the-clone-saga for those who want to see exactly what I've been working through), so next up is Time Bomb.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 9, 2019

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Gripweed posted:

Hungry Ghosts is pretty good.

It really was. There seems to be a lot you can do with the whole Hyakumonogatari Kaidankai/100 Ghost Stories theme but it was super fun and a good way to set up a horror anthology.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I gotta be honest, if I picked up a book about hunting and cooking dinosaurs and it focused on the gastronomy aspect I'd feel pretty ripped off. Luckily for me, 2000AD's Flesh!, the proper way to do a dinosaur-eating comic(and also the greatest comic ever printed), already exists.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://twitter.com/ShawnFatfield/status/1104217107783282688

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Really one of the greatest misses in comics was Marvel not making their Superman competitor named Doctor Cosmic or something.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
At least make it Captain Washington or something

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The saga of the clone saga continues with Time Bomb which was an okay story about Spider-Man being programmed to kill Mary Jane by the Jackal as part of his cloning process and Mary Jane being smart enough to overcome that. It's pretty standard stuff, but nothing worth getting worked up over. The New Warriors story, on the other hand, was mainly about how upset Firestar was because he superpowers were going to make her sterile, the first of way too many "Firestar's powers are killing her" stories that she'll have. There's also a villain called Genecide. Because 90's, that's why.

Which is bringing me into the last crossover before Peter is definitely gone for good and no longer Spider-Man: The Greatest Responsibility. I'm actually kind of hopeful that with Peter sidelined the books will become enjoyable for bit. I'm willing to give Ben a fair shake as Spider-Man.

I am definitely going to be let down, aren't I?

sexpig by night posted:

Really one of the greatest misses in comics was Marvel not making their Superman competitor named Doctor Cosmic or something.

Sadly, Roy Thomas was just too literary minded to be that clever.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Random Stranger posted:

I'm actually kind of hopeful that with Peter sidelined the books will become enjoyable for bit. I'm willing to give Ben a fair shake as Spider-Man.

I am definitely going to be let down, aren't I?

For what it's worth, you'll probably enjoy it, but I don't know if you'll say it's good. I got into Marvel via the Scarlet Spider and revisiting those a few years back involved a lot of belly laughs.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
Not sure if this is the best place to ask this but I'll give it a shot. So an old friend of mine recently started a side job as a comic book artist and wants to turn a TV pilot idea I've been pitching into a comic book. My background is fiction and screenwriting and I'm wondering if there's some good utilities out there for storyboarding and scripting. Preferably something that works well with collaborators communicating long distance. I haven't read comics in years so this will be an interesting writing challenge but a welcome one. With this medium we're only bound by our imagination so I don't have to take into consideration the same kinds of financial and logistical restraints I would with screenwriting. And suggestions on books to study for pacing and tight dialog would also be welcome. I just picked up Tree on my friend's suggestion and really like it so far.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They always say comics are like movies with an unlimited budget, but the budget is the artists time and sanity.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I've seen Jim zubs script templates recommended by pros on Twitter fairly often, i think his site is just jimzub.com or something but if you Google it it shouldn't be hard to find

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

What Marvel thinks they can call the clone saga finally comes to an end in The Greatest Responsibility which concludes with Pete quitting so he can start a family.

It's the 90's and it's time for cyberspace! Virtual reality is totally the wave of the future and Spider-man is a cowboy surfing the data streams of the information superhighway. (It's at this point that I realize all the terrible cyberpunk terminology I knew has fallen out of my brain and I am so happy.)

I know it's silly to complain about scientific accuracy in a comic about a guy bitten by a radioactive spider, but when you push against suspension of disbelief like this you've got do something really great for me to go along with something this wrong. It doesn't help that I know exactly what virtual reality is and how it works so talking about "doorways between virtual reality and the real world" is so horribly wrong. I mean, I've only encountered radioactive spiders once in my lifetime (the radioactive snakes were more likely to bite in that situation, too), but in 1995 I could go down to my local arcade and play a VR game. It's not just familiar, it's familiar and simple. And done so badly so many times in the 90's...

In this middle of this they had a Spider-Man Team-Up issue with the X-Men. Now, who would be the best X-villain to launch a Spider-Man team-up series with? That's right, everyone's favorite Shinobi Shaw. Mark Waid wrote it and you really can't tell since it's not particularly coherent.

So you know that scene in Ruins? Yeah, that one. This storyline confirms it.

The last comic here spends a lot of time justifying Peter hitting Mary Jane. I mean a lot of time on that. And saying it wasn't what was actually drawn on the page which just makes it come across as even more abusive.

Someone Peter loves has been exposed to his radioactive body fluids and is dying in the hospital. There's a cure, but Doctor Octopus has taken it! So Peter goes to his base under the river, beats Doc Ock, then it collapses trapping him under a big pile of rubble as the water level rises. Can he lift such a massive thing to escape and get the cure back?! Maybe he can stop off at the George Washington Bridge on the way back to the hospital and catch a blonde girl who has been thrown from it by a goblin themed supervillain?

After 77 issues of the clone saga, has it been worth it? Well, obviously not. While it hasn't been a complete trainwreck, it has been a whole lot of mediocre comics. I hate that the story constantly pushes the idea that a clone would be something sub-human even when saying the Spider-clone is fine (obviously "one of the good ones") which is morally abhorrent. The fact that they refuse to confine stories to a single series means that nothing is consistently handled and everything is written to just ride between writers. Traveler is a terrible villain and every single time he appears the story is awful. That page. Overall, though, it's mainly been comics that would be completely disposable and forgettable if they weren't part of an infamous story line.

But there have been bright spots; Funeral for an Octopus was basically a continuation of The Deadly Foes of Spider-Man. Sienkiewicz's inking on Spectacular has looked really good even when it didn't match the tone of the stories. ASM400 is a really good comic. The Lost Years was pretty good.

77 comics down, 92 to go.

So for this point on, I've switched over to "The Complete Ben Reilly Epic" collections that were printed a few years ago (with maybe a dip into some Amazing Spider-Man Complete Collection DVD issues so I can check out some letter columns). I don't know why Marvel was crazy enough to publish six books of this, but they're making my life easier.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 9, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I still own a complete set of Clone Saga single issues.

And all the trades.

It's a sickness.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

And all the trades.

It's a sickness.

I have two copies of most of the singles, because my dad bit hard on the speculator boom and was buying one for me to read and one to sell in pristine condition to pay for my college.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

I have two copies of most of the singles, because my dad bit hard on the speculator boom and was buying one for me to read and one to sell in pristine condition to pay for my college.

Yikes.

I think the only thing I'm missing is a single issue that references Ben and Kaine from years later. I should really get that poo poo up on Ebay.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

And all the trades.

It's a sickness.

To begin the process of healing, you must let go

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Are there any American comics about physical fitness?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gripweed posted:

Well let's just take a look at the average comic book fan over that last 50 years

No.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I see superheroes in comics lift heavy stuff all the time

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gripweed posted:

NFL Superpro.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno's leaving part of his dirty shame out. He not only owned all the singles but at least at one time also said he owned TWO copies of all the trades.

We should force him to at all times wear a scarlet hoodie with a giant C on it.

X-O fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 9, 2019

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Random Stranger posted:

(It's at this point that I realize all the terrible cyberpunk terminology I knew has fallen out of my brain and I am so happy.)

Time for a refresher course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qtdrb08UBk

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Rhyno's leaving part of his dirty shame out. He not only owned all the singles but at least at one time also said he owned TWO copies of all the trades.

We should force him to at all times wear a scarlet hoodie with a giant C on it.

NO! I said I intended to buy the omnibus hardcovers when they were released! But I forgot to do that.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
I bought the Don Rosa library editions volumes 4 and 5 that contain The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck and i'm considering buying the box set thats released later this year that apparently has the stories in chronological order with the extra stories that pertain to it.

But thats a good comic.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MrFlibble posted:

I bought the Don Rosa library editions volumes 4 and 5 that contain The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck and i'm considering buying the box set thats released later this year that apparently has the stories in chronological order with the extra stories that pertain to it.

But thats a good comic.

Yeah you can’t own too many high quality versions of that story.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

"Are you going to start whining about being a clone again? Because if you are, I really don't want--" Literally the first panel with dialog in the first issue in the collection.

The absolute lowest form of comic book story is the one that tries to resolve contradictory continuity. Inevitably, it's revolves around someone just talking out the previous stories and making them even more convoluted. They're even worse when the person explaining things also includes "Oh, yes, I also went to some extremely lengths to tell the readers a very convoluted and unnecessary lie." One of the nice things about comic book companies no longer giving a drat about continuity is that no one writes these kinds of stories anymore.

The title of the next major storyline might give away the topic: Virtual Mortality. I thought that they might have switched things up for the moment and had one writer for each storyline since the first two parts were by Tom DeFalco (a real mixed blessing there), but parts 3 and 4 had different writers (Howard Mackie and Todd Dezago).

And then for more fun, it's not a complete story. At the end of part four absolutely nothing is resolved. Instead the next storyline is Cyberwar (part 1 of 4) because I guess we needed more really bad computer stuff.

Speaking of really bad computer stuff, in this story a villain hacks some thugs semiautomatic pistols. They also hack a diesel truck, but that kind of stupidity regarding what computers control had been around a while. This was a whole other level.

On the plus side, I liked making Ben a mobster's bodyguard. I suspect it's going to be over with by the end of the next storyline, but it would have been a fun thing for a little while if he was trying to juggle taking down a bunch of crime families with handling his own employer.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Gripweed posted:

Random Stranger posted:

The saga of the clone saga continues with Time Bomb which was an okay story about Spider-Man being programmed to kill Mary Jane by the Jackal as part of his cloning process and Mary Jane being smart enough to overcome that. It's pretty standard stuff, but nothing worth getting worked up over.

So interesting thing about this one. They made a What If issue based on Scarlet Spider deciding he had no choice but to kill Spider-Man in order to save Mary Jane. Since they couldn't play out the storyline too much with the Clone Saga still going on at the time, they put in a bunch of vague scenes about where this could lead. I mainly remember Ben having a nightmare about Morbius investigating MJ's daughter's blood and an unexplained appearance by the Green Goblin. Which Green Goblin? It wasn't made clear.

Once you're done with this, you should check out the old What If issue of "What If Spider-Man's Clone Had Lived?" WAAAAY better read and a happier ending.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gavok posted:

So interesting thing about this one. They made a What If issue based on Scarlet Spider deciding he had no choice but to kill Spider-Man in order to save Mary Jane. Since they couldn't play out the storyline too much with the Clone Saga still going on at the time, they put in a bunch of vague scenes about where this could lead. I mainly remember Ben having a nightmare about Morbius investigating MJ's daughter's blood and an unexplained appearance by the Green Goblin. Which Green Goblin? It wasn't made clear.

Ben and Peter fight and there's an explosion and only one survives. When he comes to in the hospital Mary Jane thinks that Ben is actually Peter so he plays along with it for her sake.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Gripweed posted:

How wide a net are you casting? There's a young adult series from Boom! about highschool fencing that I haven't read.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

That medusa sex joke, oof

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

drat, it's super out of print and very expensive online.

Archyduchess posted:

How wide a net are you casting? There's a young adult series from Boom! about highschool fencing that I haven't read.

I mean specifically focusing on physical fitness, not really sports except as an extension of that. It can have other elements, of course, like how Stretch is both a lesbian romance and an informative look at the benefits and importance of stretching.

site posted:

That medusa sex joke, oof

That's not necessarily a sex joke. She has very long, very voluminous hair. She's probably always getting it caught on things or stepped on.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well she usually fights with it by wrapping it around people and pulling things. So I think that's clearly what they're going for there.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Gavok posted:

Once you're done with this, you should check out the old What If issue of "What If Spider-Man's Clone Had Lived?" WAAAAY better read and a happier ending.
Also What If? Starring Spider-Girl. They're reprinting it this May!

Did they do that on purpose?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

X-O posted:

Well she usually fights with it by wrapping it around people and pulling things. So I think that's clearly what they're going for there.

Can Medusa feel stuff through her hair? If she accidentally hits something with her hair does it hurt like when you stub your toe?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Gripweed posted:

Can Medusa feel stuff through her hair? If she accidentally hits something with her hair does it hurt like when you stub your toe?

No one really knows how their powers work

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i vaugely remember some narration box where she talks about it hurting when her hair is cut sooo maybe?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Random Stranger posted:

"Are you going to start whining about being a clone again? Because if you are, I really don't want--" Literally the first panel with dialog in the first issue in the collection.

The absolute lowest form of comic book story is the one that tries to resolve contradictory continuity. Inevitably, it's revolves around someone just talking out the previous stories and making them even more convoluted. They're even worse when the person explaining things also includes "Oh, yes, I also went to some extremely lengths to tell the readers a very convoluted and unnecessary lie." One of the nice things about comic book companies no longer giving a drat about continuity is that no one writes these kinds of stories anymore.

The title of the next major storyline might give away the topic: Virtual Mortality. I thought that they might have switched things up for the moment and had one writer for each storyline since the first two parts were by Tom DeFalco (a real mixed blessing there), but parts 3 and 4 had different writers (Howard Mackie and Todd Dezago).

And then for more fun, it's not a complete story. At the end of part four absolutely nothing is resolved. Instead the next storyline is Cyberwar (part 1 of 4) because I guess we needed more really bad computer stuff.

Speaking of really bad computer stuff, in this story a villain hacks some thugs semiautomatic pistols. They also hack a diesel truck, but that kind of stupidity regarding what computers control had been around a while. This was a whole other level.

On the plus side, I liked making Ben a mobster's bodyguard. I suspect it's going to be over with by the end of the next storyline, but it would have been a fun thing for a little while if he was trying to juggle taking down a bunch of crime families with handling his own employer.

On the upside, the dumb computer stuff is what gives us Ben in a Spider-Man suit, so you've got that to look forward to. And the launch of Sensational Spider-Man, because what the Spider line really needed was another monthly title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gavok posted:

I've read the old What If story and it makes a lot more sense than the "There can be only one!" rules that the clone saga operates under. Peter's definitely the kind of guy who would be flexible and easy going about it. Maybe not "We'll both be Peter Parker!" but "You'll be my long lost cousin Petey and it'll be awesome to have us both around!" seems possible.

I haven't read the mid-storyline What If. Ben telling MJ that he's actually Peter sounds pretty creepy.