Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I hope the MCU is done with whole movies that are prequels/flashbacks. Time to move forward.

The follow up to Captain Marvel in general is Guardians of the Galaxy where the Kree Empire and the Nova Corps have brokered a new peace treaty that the Kree are clearly not very happy about. I would imagine it would be easy to insinuate that Carol had a lot to do with weakening the expansionist Kree military in between the two movies. As far as follow up on the Skrulls, no reasons that couldn't take place after End Game, when presumably Carol would be world renowned, and Captain Marvel 2 could feature Khan and I hope more Talos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Something rando thing I thought of: if Marvel is still keen on doing Young Avengers and is still intent on keeping Hulkling the child of Mar-Vell and a Skrull princess.....:keke:.....well...it's either gonna be a Skrull prince now or else the Kree-Skrull war is gonna be saved by the power of lesbian love. (twice, I guess)

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

twistedmentat posted:

Why not both Monica and Kamala?

Captain Marvel 2: Carol Corps.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Just saw Captain Marvel this morning and I really liked it! I didn't know much about the character beforehand, but I'm now a fan of Carol Danvers and I'm looking forward to seeing her in Endgame.

"I have nothing to prove to you" was the best way to do the final fight.

The Marvel de-aging CGI was scary good. After a while I completely forgot Samuel L. Jackson and Clark Gregg are like 30 years older than they appear in the movie.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 9, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I can very easily see "We have nothing to prove to you" becoming a rallying cry against CHUDites.

Spoilered because it's still sort of a movie line.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Does she say that line in context before she obliterates Jude Law?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

teagone posted:

Yes.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

:cool: I look forward to that scene.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

It's like a more cathartic version of Indiana Jones vs. the guy with the sword.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Just got home from the theater, was really fun. Brie was great and she had good chemistry with sam imo. Serious in parts, but good with dropping in the humor at the right places. Also extremely nostalgic in the right ways. The loading scene lol

i dug that they mixed things up by not having the skrulls be the bad guys. also glad that this means it's all but certain we're not gonna do secret invasion

caught the ksd cameo in the train station

annette bening as mar-vell and the supreme intelligence is gonna piss off the chuds so bad lmao

the hawk-helmet!!!!

cant believe they really had goose take furys eye lol. i remember someone here joking about that months ago, i never expected it to really happen that way

the face tech on fury was flawless from what i could tell, that stuff has come a long way

i hope they do something with the plot thread of monica building a spaceship so she could visit carol so we can get spectrum

hot take but i actually kinda dug that neon version of her uniform when they were changing the colors, and dont think i didnt notice them briefly settling on the og silver/green scheme while they were talking!!

carol just blasting yon-rogg was as enjoyable as hulk swinging loki around in avengers 1 and got a lot of laughs in the theater

E: oh yeah, dug the stan lee edited marvel studios logo and that his cameo was him learning his lines for mallrats lol

E2: oh okay, a question ive had since avengers 1: the tessarct contains the SPACE stone so how come everyone can draw super energy from it

site fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 9, 2019

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

After decades of comic book movies approach even the most minor of their comic book tropes with cringing embarrassment, it's really refreshing how deep into give-no-fucks territory Marvel has gotten with their cosmic stuff. Blue skinned Kree, "pink"-skinned Kree, Kree in finned helmets, and the Kree Supreme Intelligence? All there, none of it explained, and the audience is just expected to roll with it.

They even had a loving Flerken.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 9, 2019

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

PunkBoy posted:

The Marvel de-aging CGI was scary good. After a while I completely forgot Samuel L. Jackson and Clark Gregg are like 30 years older than they appear in the movie.

This just made me realize that Clark Gregg is kinda jacked. Because I was like "drat he's filling out that suit"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Codependent Poster posted:

This just made me realize that Clark Gregg is kinda jacked. Because I was like "drat he's filling out that suit"

He has a blackbelt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Seriously? Man they shoulda capitalized on that, what a waste

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I really enjoyed Captain Marvel and the 90s nostalgia. The only thing I really didn't like was the Amnesia. With a little bit of better writing they could have avoided that BS.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Andrew_1985 posted:

I really enjoyed Captain Marvel and the 90s nostalgia. The only thing I really didn't like was the Amnesia. With a little bit of better writing they could have avoided that BS.

How so? I feel like removing that element would have fundamentally changed the film.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

site posted:

Seriously? Man they shoulda capitalized on that, what a waste

Jiu-Jitsu doesn't really translate great into most movie action scenes, fanciful stuff like John Wick not included.

Having a black belt makes sense though, given his history of cuddling.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It kinda reminded me about how many Arnold movies are about "who am I?"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think a couple times they had him do some stuff on Agents of SHIELD. I remember him doing a takedown with a triangle once in an earlier episode.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I went to see it, and...the movie was good. And so I am more confused about why someone would waste so much time hating so hard on it. But anyway, I'm not here to talk about chuds, let's talk about how I need more Skrulls in my life. They were so loving fun! (during the scenes were they had to be fun) Can I get at least a mini series about Skrulls living in Earth? Please Marvel people?

teagone posted:

I internally went "gently caress YEAH, YEAH!!!! *fist pump* "

PunkBoy posted:

Oh yeah, they really made it better and it doesn't look odd at all like the first time they used it on Iron Man. At least they were smart in Iron Man so they could wave it as a "it was a computer generated scenario created by Tony" if people started to complain about how fake it looked.

Here? Awesome. I wouldn't be surprised if they win something just because of that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Desperado Bones posted:

I went to see it, and...the movie was good. And so I am more confused about why someone would waste so much time hating so hard on it. But anyway, I'm not here to talk about chuds, let's talk about how I need more Skrulls in my life. They were so loving fun! (during the scenes were they had to be fun) Can I get at least a mini series about Skrulls living in Earth? Please Marvel people?

good news a mini about skrulls living on earth just started on wednesday, it's called...meet the skrulls

https://twitter.com/doryheartsbooks/status/1104378050399989761

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

[quote="site" post="493227291"]
good news a mini about skrulls living on earth just started on wednesday, it's called...meet the skrulls

:aaa: Oh,hoohohohoho, this is what I need, thanks!

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Am I reading too much into it or is blue eyes skrull kid a possible Hulkling thing?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Saw Captain Marvel earlier. Ben Mendelsohn's performance and Jude Law getting obliterated while trying to save face were my main takeaways. Everything else was just ok. Brie Larson was fine, but I didn't find the character of Captain Marvel all that compelling. When comparing Captain Marvel to the origin stories from Phase 1 for Iron Man, Thor, and Cap, I'd put all those above this, but I'd watch this again over Incredible Hulk.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/classiclib3ral/status/1104510144778506240

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

X-O posted:

I think a couple times they had him do some stuff on Agents of SHIELD. I remember him doing a takedown with a triangle once in an earlier episode.

Yep!
https://i.imgur.com/IygjEuR.gifv

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Additional Captain marvel thoughts: I'll eat crow about my early grumblings regarding Captain Marvel's costume looking a bit too generic; when it's on fire with the helm/mohawk it looked rad as gently caress, BUT it would have looked even more baller with a sash :haw: That was only other takeaway.

Aside from that, have to say that the movie is right up there with Black Panther in having some of the most bland, uninspired action. Wish they did more interesting stuff with Carol's powers; it was a display of power that felt fairly generic despite having cool CG effects. Marvel needs to hire better second units to shoot their action stuff to make heroes feel properly epic imo. And I agree with the other goons that feel No Doubt's "Just a Girl" was a bad choice for that one particular fight scene. The tempo of that fight felt way off because of the song.

[edit] And the 2nd act or so is kind of a slog until Talos shows up.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 10, 2019

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

teagone posted:

Additional Captain marvel thoughts: I'll eat crow about my early grumblings regarding Captain Marvel's costume looking a bit too generic; when it's on fire with the helm/mohawk it looked rad as gently caress, BUT it would have looked even more baller with a sash :haw: That was only other takeaway.

Aside from that, have to say that the movie is right up there with Black Panther in having some of the most bland, uninspired action. Wish they did more interesting stuff with Carol's powers; it was a display of power that felt fairly generic despite having cool CG effects. Marvel needs to hire better second units to shoot their action stuff to make heroes feel properly epic imo. And I agree with the other goons that feel No Doubt's "Just a Girl" was a bad choice for that one particular fight scene. The tempo of that fight felt way off because of the song.

I would had put a Smashing Pumpkins song in that scene :colbert: But that's my 90's teen self speaking. Yes, I had a "omg" moment when the Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness poster showed up, but then I got a bit sad because Billy is nowadays a big bad weirdo

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
tbh i didnt mind the no doubt, but come as you are during the final supreme intelligence scene made me groan out loud lol

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

teagone posted:

They need to clone James Young because the movies where he's the fight coordinator consistently have some of the most entertaining action sequences. Winter Soldier, Civil War, Guardians 1 and 2, Infinity War and I hope Endgame.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

X-O posted:

His moments would probably stand out more if he weren't competing for attention with a shotgun-axe and Ming-na loving Wen.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

I mean, it's kinda her fault?

Woman: Identifies with politics that treat women like poo poo.
Right-Wing Men: *Treat woman like poo poo*
Woman: *surprised Pikachu meme*

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Jamesman posted:

I mean, it's kinda her fault?

Woman: Identifies with politics that treat women like poo poo.
Right-Wing Men: *Treat woman like poo poo*
Woman: *surprised Pikachu meme*

She never thought the leopards would eat HER face!

Also you're all crazy, the Just a Girl thing was great. It was stupid, but in a good way

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Bruceski posted:

His moments would probably stand out more if he weren't competing for attention with a shotgun-axe and Ming-na loving Wen.

Ming-na’s fight scenes are TERRIBLE though

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

AngryBooch posted:

They need to clone James Young because the movies where he's the fight coordinator consistently have some of the most entertaining action sequences. Winter Soldier, Civil War, Guardians 1 and 2, Infinity War and I hope Endgame.

Yeah, the actions scenes in Captain Marvel were very reflective of the film itself for me. Just unremarkable throughout.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Retro Futurist posted:

She never thought the leopards would eat HER face!

Also you're all crazy, the Just a Girl thing was great. It was stupid, but in a good way

na, it's a lovely song by a lovely band and took me out of the scene totally. loving riot grrl was in full swing in the mid/late 90s, there are so many better songs that could have used that weren't the musical equivalent of pink pussy hats.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Im getting extreme flashbacks to the smoker kids who only wore black in middle/high school right now

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Soonmot posted:

na, it's a lovely song by a lovely band and took me out of the scene totally. loving riot grrl was in full swing in the mid/late 90s, there are so many better songs that could have used that weren't the musical equivalent of pink pussy hats.

This post reads like something that would get posted in the ComicsGate thread for everyone to laugh at, just so you know.

E: To elaborate, you can not like the song and not like No Doubt without this weirdly misogynistic bullshit you have loaded it with.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I lucked out and was able to see Captain Marvel earlier than I thought.

Assorted thoughts:
  • There's so much in this movie that feels like a direct response to the chuds and I loving love it.
  • Like most of you, I really dig Larson as Carol but the plot felt a little weak and overfamiliar. I didn't expect to come out of it saying this, but I honestly wish it had spent a little more time with the fish out of water/90's nostalgia stuff instead of jumping straight into the Kree/Skrull conflict.
  • Speaking of the Skrulls, I wish they'd introduced the refugee plot earlier in the film instead of just introducing it all in Act 3.
  • The de-aging tech on Sam Jackson was fantastic. The only time I noticed anything off was during the Skrull autopsy when he walked around the table and turned his head. Other than that, flawless. Clark Gregg's wasn't as well done, he looked a little too waxy at times.
  • NICK FURY DROVE MY CAR! His Impala even had the exact same flaws, with the roughed-up steering wheel and the popped plastic seatbelt covers. That absolutely tickled me pink.
  • There wasn't much of it, but I really dug the vaguely electronic score during the early Kree scenes. Almost reminded me of Mass Effect.
  • I get what they were going for with the Stan intro, but it just felt goofy.

Overall pretty middle of the road, but Larson was great and I have little doubt that, like Strange, her future appearances will be better now that her origin has been done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Overall pretty middle of the road, but Larson was great and I have little doubt that, like Strange, her future appearances will be better now that her origin has been done.

Yeah I hope now that we got amnesia out of the way Larson will get a chance to do something more than play straight woman to funnier characters. ...though considering her next appearance will be acting opposite a talking raccoon, maybe not.

Oh, and agreed on the Stan intro too. A little too over the top and corny*. Like, Into The Spider-Verse did it way more tastefully imo.
*though "over the top and corny" may be the most appropriate way to tribute Stan Lee, maybe they were right...