Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Andrast posted:

Well, that's what they are

(maybe a few years older)

Yeah I know.

Also to be fair most of Araki's characters are in their teens (nominally). Wasn't Jotaro Kujo supposed to be 17 or something? But everyone in Stardust Crusaders look about 30 and on steroids. I'd even say that nostalgia aside Giorno's adventure (and Araki's style in his later works) looks much more diverse and interesting than beefslabs punching each other.

It's weird though because I don't mind Pokemon games at all but as soon as a literal elementary school kid with superpowers tries to take things seriously in any anime I'm like eeeehhhhh not for me. I think I have worms in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

mob psycho 100 is fantastic

also a lot of the supporting cast are adults and mob actually has, like, a family life and role models and so on instead of existing in a weird little microcosm

Seconded. I hate little kids with super powers stuff but Mob Psycho 100 kicks rear end.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kawabata posted:

Yeah I know.

Also to be fair most of Araki's characters are in their teens (nominally). Wasn't Jotaro Kujo supposed to be 17 or something? But everyone in Stardust Crusaders look about 30 and on steroids. I'd even say that nostalgia aside Giorno's adventure (and Araki's style in his later works) looks much more diverse and interesting than beefslabs punching each other.

It's weird though because I don't mind Pokemon games at all but as soon as a literal elementary school kid with superpowers tries to take things seriously in any anime I'm like eeeehhhhh not for me. I think I have worms in my head.

Giorno is supposed to be 15 too

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I got bored of MHA quickly, the only thing it really has going for it is the supporting cast and they seem like they were good by mistake. Most of the character development is just the characters leaning they need to Try Harder. I'd probably have better criticisms of it if I'd watched/read it more recently tho.

MP100 owns

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
Everyone needs to watch/read Mob Psycho 100, it's really really good.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Pootybutt posted:

Do they actually get to spend that time "on break", or is it more like extra time to work on/polish the show?

I mean, either is fine. An extra week to work on the show means they don't have to work themselves so hard later on.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I've seen a number of JoJo fans with a soft spot for Symphogear. It's a very different show in a number of important ways, but there's something about the sheer breathless insanity of it that strikes a very similar chord. Thunderbolt Fantasy, meanwhile, is pretty much JoJo with puppets in ancient fantasy China.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Kawabata posted:

Is it kids fighting per se that you don't like, kids saving the world, or kids fighting against adults?

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
If one of the things you like about JoJo is completely absurd explanations for things that can be somewhat mundane, check out Grappler Baki.

Baki is a series where you can accomplish anything if you use your muscles and then explain how your muscles allowed you to do what you did.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
MP 100 owns because the narrative treats Mob as the actual 12/13 year-old he is and his family and friends are the best.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

RubberLuffy posted:

If one of the things you like about JoJo is completely absurd explanations for things that can be somewhat mundane, check out Grappler Baki.

Baki is a series where you can accomplish anything if you use your muscles and then explain how your muscles allowed you to do what you did.
How could I forget Baki? Pure, undistorted fightman insanity.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kawabata posted:

Is there anything similar to the work of Araki around? The only animes/manga I've enjoyed as much as his are Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop. I didn't mind Death Note and the recent Devilman either but in terms of sheer creativity and acceptable-to-good writing I'm struggling to find anything else. Of course it may be because I'm an older goon (not really the target demographic) and I don't know the medium too well.

There's always Fist of the North Star, in case you somehow haven't seen it already.

Wark Say posted:

How could I forget Baki? Pure, undistorted fightman insanity.

Baki is literally one of the few series that is unquestionably even weirder than JoJo, and it's great.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

BaDandy posted:

MP 100 owns because the narrative treats Mob as the actual 12/13 year-old he is and his family and friends are the best.

that's absolutely true but also the entire story is just so good. i don't want to spoil anything but goddamn it's a well written manga. and the anime knocks it out of the park.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Kawabata posted:

Is there anything similar to the work of Araki around? The only animes/manga I've enjoyed as much as his are Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop. I didn't mind Death Note and the recent Devilman either but in terms of sheer creativity and acceptable-to-good writing I'm struggling to find anything else. Of course it may be because I'm an older goon (not really the target demographic) and I don't know the medium too well.

I can't think of anything the same as JoJo but i can give some suggestions for shows that i like that you might enjoy.

Psycho Pass and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex if you want something aimed at adults. They are both dystopian future Japan shows.

Mob Psycho 100 is a show about a middle schooler with psychic powers, but it's the antithesis of all the shounen shows where everyone loves the main character because he has super powers and DETERMINATION.

Gurren Lagann is aimed at younger audiences but it's so over the top ridiculous that i enjoyed it for the same reason i originally got into JoJo.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
The common thread that pops into my head when associating Baki and Jojo is:

1. Beautiful men and/or ripped men drawn with a flair and love that gives an almost feminine feeling to it (Its really hard for me to describe this concisely).

2. The love of pseudo-scientific explanations to explain whatever crazy poo poo just happened.

EDIT: I just thought of a third common thread:

3. VIOLENT BODY HORROR

JDRockefeller fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 10, 2019

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah Baki is a much better reccomendation if you like slabs of meat doing hosed up poo poo to each other.

Mob is good but more if a If You Liked This, Try This rec

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Silver2195 posted:

Is it kids fighting per se that you don't like, kids saving the world, or kids fighting against adults?

I think it's more kids fighting against adults and kids awkward drama that turn me off. If an anime goes full cute retard like Pokemon or if said kids are clearly over the top it's alright, but whenever the anime is all kids doing super serious things or dealing with puberty issues the way adolescents do I'm like "huuuhhh I'm not the target audience for this am I". For example, I don't mind Attack on Titan, but I would pay money for a version of the anime without Eren in it.

I'll try Baki , MP 100 and Hunter X Hunter right away, thanks thread!

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Also n:thing that Hunter X Hunter is one of the best series ever on its own merits, but probably also the closest thing you'll get to JoJo Stand battle stuff on a purely mechanical level. It arguably does have a bit of a slow start though, but when it gets going it loving gets going and doesn't stop.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
from the perspective of jojo being a "celebration of humanity" or w/e the quote is i'd say mp100 is a fantastic rec

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

JDRockefeller posted:

The common thread that pops into my head when associating Baki and Jojo is:

1. Beautiful men and/or ripped men drawn with a flair and love that gives an almost feminine feeling to it (Its really hard for me to describe this concisely).

2. The love of pseudo-scientific explanations to explain whatever crazy poo poo just happened.

EDIT: I just thought of a third common thread:

3. VIOLENT BODY HORROR

This is a surprisingly accurate résumé of things I like about manga and anime in general.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
This list of common features makes me think maybe Battle Angel Alita would be a good cross-recommendation.

Desty Nova is basically "what if Zeppeli, but evil?"

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This list of common features makes me think maybe Battle Angel Alita would be a good cross-recommendation.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I was an anime only person but the part 5 anime reached such a good place that I needed more jojos in my life and couldn't wait. So I started Stone Ocean a few days ago and it's extremely good. I'm at the part with the baby, I just hope there's no spoilers to part 5 that I'll run into. I want to experience part 5 in anime only form right now, since I might as well wait for it to end.

I guess I'll check out hunter x hunter after I finish the jojo manga.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
There aren't any meaningful spoilers to part 5 in part 6 and later that I can think of.

giogio is mentioned at one point by a narrator but never appears. I guess it spoils that he doesn't die, thats about it

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Part 5 is weird in that way. It seems almost entirely disconnected from everything before it, and from what I gather (while trying to avoid spoilers) not a single thing in it ever comes up again.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Flesnolk posted:

Part 5 is weird in that way. It seems almost entirely disconnected from everything before it, and from what I gather (while trying to avoid spoilers) not a single thing in it ever comes up again.

It's basically completely on its own. The few threads it has connecting it to the rest of the series (Koichi and Jotaro's early appearance, Giorno being Dio's son) are used exactly for that, to connect it to the series, and they disappear as soon as their job is done (which is immediately after the first arc, as we've already seen). Absolutely nothing of Part 5 reappears in Part 6 beyond one small mention, not even enough to count as a cameo.

It's pretty much the most aislated Jojo part. I genuinely wonder if Araki didn't intend to do more with the whole "Dio's son" thing and then decided it wasn't worth it or it didn't work with the gang plot.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There’s a couple more connections that havent happened yet, but yeah Part 5 is by far the most standalone part.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

araki just wanted an excuse to have at least one part happen in italy

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Johnny Joestar posted:

araki just wanted an excuse to have at least one part happen in italy

Wasn't Part 2 in Rome?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Part 2 was all over the world

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If you want a story like jojo part five, Lupin the Third Part Four is also about a group of goodhearted gangstars having criminal adventures in Italy.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kwyndig posted:

Part 2 was all over the world

it was in america for like one episode, then mexico briefly, then italy, then switzerland, then italy again for the rest of it. we didn't really see much italian stuff though because it all took place in ruins and the Hamon Training Spike Field

Tetracube fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 10, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tunicate posted:

If you want a story like jojo part five, Lupin the Third Part Four is also about a group of goodhearted gangstars having criminal adventures in Italy.

Lupin Part 5 is also good, it's mostly in France, but also takes place all over the World.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Nth-ing the Hunter X Hunter recommendations. Don’t let the kid protagonists fool you, poo poo gets dark and bizarre quickly. The power system is basically a more balanced version of stands crossed with Yu Yu Hakusho’s reiki and there’s plenty of “puzzle” fights and outwitting each other. Each arc varies in tone and sometimes even genre just like Jojo’s parts, too.

If you liked the D’Arby fights I guess you could try reading (not watching) Yu-Gi-Oh, which was originally inspired by them. It’s geared towards a younger audience and eventually becomes about the card game (with a couple exceptions) but prior to that it’s just a kid possessed by an ancient Egyptian rear end in a top hat that goes around punishing people with torture magic after beating them in various games. The games aren’t that involved and often don’t make a lot of sense but they can be fun. They range from stuff like a D&D-rip-off and laser tag to more creative stuff like table hockey on a hot grill with a puck made of ice containing a vial of nitroglycerin, or Russian roulette on a spinning table with poisoned food. No souls are stolen but making your opponent go into a coma for cheating is close enough.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The anime of Yu-Gi-Oh! is basically something you can watch afterwards if you really like Kaiba. And awkwardly animated filler arcs with contrived plots.

The GX manga is alright, too.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I used the power of Emperor Crimson to skip from 2am to 3am

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The anime of Yu-Gi-Oh! is basically something you can watch afterwards if you really like Kaiba. And awkwardly animated filler arcs with contrived plots.

The GX manga is alright, too.

I never really got into the anime outside of the first couple arcs of the 4kids dub when I was in middle school, but the movie that came out a couple years ago that was a canon sequel to the manga was pretty fun. Didn’t make a ton of sense but it was a fun ride.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Sockser posted:

I used the power of Emperor Crimson to skip from 2am to 3am

Huh; guess Ben Franklin was a stand user all along

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

I always thought Bucciarati looked like a cat so I drew a Bucciarati cat.

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1104859410348810243

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

I know plenty of people have weighed in, but seconding Mob Psycho and HXH. The latter is a bit of a slow burn at times, the author likes to do a lot of set up before the action starts, but once it starts it loving goes.