Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Oh absolutely you shouldn’t be aiming for the Flagellent to become Rapturous, but it’s the least awful Affliction by a good deal. It comes with extra damage and speed which usually is the opposite, and it stacks with the Flagellent’s buff from hitting Death’s Door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I wish antiquarian had unlockable moves that were very strong but cost money to use or something like that, so that once you hit lategame and your upgrades are sorted she could be useful in the other direction.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
It'd be cool if she could throw gems from your inventory for damage actually. Or more practically, had a move that could consume any inventory item for some kind of effect, money translating into damage.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
tbh every time i've beaten the game its well before i'd be done with needing money

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

atelier morgan posted:

tbh every time i've beaten the game its well before i'd be done with needing money

It depends a lot on how much you abuse the bank.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

https://youtu.be/O1QNyN8aDCY

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Sent a team of characters I didn't know super well to check out this Weald place for the first time and suddenly GIANT SPACE MONSTER OUT OF NOWHERE, guess I must've missed the warning icon. Actually did surprisingly well and Leper did a lot of work at first but massive damage reduction halfway through the fight was a jerk move. Grave Robber's armor-piercing pick saved the day though, and somehow my ragtag group of misfits kicked its butt. :toot:

Literally everyone was afflicted by the end of it, but it's better to be a bit unhinged than dead. Dead like my Vestal who got a ceiling dropped on her by a rude prophet guy, RIP.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Was it dark, or did you touch a thing?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
If it was the Thing From The Stars(The 'massive protection buff halfway through' suggests this), there would have been a warning before he started the quest.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Kanfy posted:

guess I must've missed the warning icon.

:ssh:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Yeah, I noticed it the first time around but that time I just didn't realize for some reason. Too excited to see new places, probably.

Since then my routine ruins exploration ended up with me sticking a torch into some weird-looking thing and I've come to realize that stumbling blindly into cosmic horrors just might be my adventueres' lot in life. Very stressful experience for everyone involved, but the Jester finished things up just in the nick of time before it got downright heart-stopping. Got a neat trinket out of it, but had to abandon that particular trip afterwards since things were getting a little tense in the group.

Also my Flagellant took seven hits in a row while at Death's Door without even seeming particularly bothered by the whole affair, you gotta admire that kind of positive attitude.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Bloodly posted:

If it was the Thing From The Stars(The 'massive protection buff halfway through' suggests this), there would have been a warning before he started the quest.

It's really easy to miss the icon if you don't remember to check for it. Pretty much every time I see that guy it's a big surprise

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Lord_Magmar posted:

Oh absolutely you shouldn’t be aiming for the Flagellent to become Rapturous, but it’s the least awful Affliction by a good deal. It comes with extra damage and speed which usually is the opposite, and it stacks with the Flagellent’s buff from hitting Death’s Door.

Yeah it has some benefits but he won't stop shouting which stresses out the rest of the crew pretty quickly. He also has a bad habit of refusing healing in that state or bashing his mates.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
What are some good mods that make the whole Courtyard, townevents and crimson curse less frustrating and more manageable?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Honestly, most are baked into the game now: less chance of getting infected, and less Court encounters in others places. Just don't treat the Court levels as singular levels, but things to do in a few intervals .

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
New interview got posted. Doesn't look like there's a whole lot that's new, just confirmation of what's already been floating around out there.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
What's the exact time limit on Bloodmoon? I'm seeing conflicting information.

(If it matters I started the campaign on Stygian and enabled Crimson Court about 25 weeks in, I don't have Color of Madness or Shieldbreaker)

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I think it’s a year or a “soft loss” if two heroes die before DD3.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
It's 100 weeks.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Two years. Close enough.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://twitter.com/art_miguelito/status/1104443587335520256
highly targeted fanart

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

This is extremely good.

One day someone needs to make a roguelike that copies the M&L battle mechanics.

Bogart posted:

I think it’s a year or a “soft loss” if two heroes die before DD3.

Technically you can do the mission with only two heroes and never had the Heart do the instantkill. Or you can use one of the buff strategies that kills the heart in one round. Both of those are stupid options though and you might as well consider the real limit 14 for all practical purposes.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
I'm sorry, obliterating the Heart and losing nobody to your coked up relative is the one proper way. :colbert:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Who would win, the darkness in all men’s hearts that corrupts the world inside out

OR

One corpsy boy high on moon dust

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Bogart posted:

Who would win, the darkness in all men’s hearts that corrupts the world inside out

OR

One corpsy boy high on moon dust

coke is a hell of a drug, bruh

petty witch
Mar 18, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

jesus

open my veins and pour it in

petty witch fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Mar 23, 2019

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Some serious Japanese influence here.

Would love to know what the “light” meter represents now, if not torchlight.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Dalaram posted:

Some serious Japanese influence here.

Would love to know what the “light” meter represents now, if not torchlight.

Dragonrot, obviously.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I have never actually finished this game - I keep firing it up, playing for a while, getting several hours in.... then having two or three huge setbacks in a row and losing interest for a few months.

Just fired the game up again today and ran into the Collector on my second run, not including the prologue. With an already-wounded team of a graverobber, two highwaymen, and a vestal, all of whom had no upgraded gear or trinkets and only randomly selected skills, I watched as one of the highwaymen missed several grapeshots in a row (and the other didn't have any pistol skills to actually hit the collector in the back row.) The graverobber got crit for 15 right off the bat by a spectral highwayman, and the Collector landed a couple of crit Life Steals in a row to heal himself from what little damage she did. Meanwhile, the Vestal started already at high stress since the Collector was in front of the very last room, and promptly went Irrational, passing turns and stressing everyone else like crazy.

I ran away when two people were on death's door and the other two were at 25%, with the Collector still probably at 75% or so. The stress of retreating first from the battle, then from the mission, promptly sent two more in Afflicted as well, with the only non-afflicted survivor now at high stress. Since they were all rank amateurs, I fired them rather than bother trying to treat them.... and upon realizing I was effectively back at square one, with nothing but a fresh load of recruits off the wagon and Reynauld just completing treatment at the temple, I just deleted the save.

Sometimes I appreciate how much random chance plays a roll in this game, as it really does make victories much sweeter when you actually win. Other times, it drives me absolutely crazy when you do everything right.... or at least, do as much as you can under the circumstances.... and still lose.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I haven't finished it either even though I've gotten to level 6 heros, but this time around the reason I didn't stay through is I really don't like the later crimson court dungeons(or frankly any of them), and will probably just end up making another save with crimson court disabled despite liking the enemy designs

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
While I like that you can pick up where you left off on the Crimson Courtyard, the later dungeons (Countess) ends up being such a tedious slog that it doesn't feel worth it besides the challenge. The items you get from completing all the main stages don't really feel worth all the time and effort. If it were better balanced then the investment of time, risk, and energy would help make the endgame easier to overcome but it really doesn't.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

The items you get from completing all the main stages don't really feel worth all the time and effort.

A few of them are awesome, but IIRC the good ones are generally the later ones so you have to do the crappy ones first. Probably still worth it to at least pick one to clean out (I think the crypt is likely the best effort:reward payout.)

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So I've gotten back into this and I have to say that the level 6 dungeons, especially the loving pig ones, can get to gently caress. The 45 hp mass skewering boarfaced motherfuckers can piss right off.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Don't play level 6 dungeons with anything less than level 5, full upgraded heroes.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Straight White Shark posted:

A few of them are awesome, but IIRC the good ones are generally the later ones so you have to do the crappy ones first. Probably still worth it to at least pick one to clean out (I think the crypt is likely the best effort:reward payout.)

I meant the Crimson court boss rewards. Really don't feel worth the hassle, especially the Countess fan.

The class specific set pieces are fun though. Not always optimal, but certainly thematic and typically you can take one +an existing class artifact that has similar buffs and stack them.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Got back into this game to feed my D&D cravings between sessions. Had never played Crimson Court before. Can’t say I’m a fan of the Crimson Curse but I guess I’m not supposed to be.

I had a very satisfying encounter with the Collector the other day tho. Motherfucker decided to show up and pester my crack killsquad and they kicked the poo poo out of him before any of his collect call summons even got one turn.

That whole dungeon run was magical, really. They kicked the poo poo out of everything and we also found a secret room so the team made off with a full four trapezohedrons in addition to a mess of other treasure.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Applewhite posted:

trapezohedrons

It gets weird stumbling across these after you've built the bank and have decent cash reserves. Moment you break 100k gold, you may as well just abandon all money forever, 'cause you're basically set for life.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
Unavoidable character death is a lot less fun when it happens to a tricked-out max level hero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
??? There’s all of two required character deaths in game, and they’re at the actual end of the line, and if you’re tricksy you can skip them.