Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Powershift posted:

episode 7 is about Grosjean

summary: lol

There are two or three episodes where you see other teams, most notably Jon Neale, howling with laughter whenever Grosjean crashes.

The Force India episode is dumb though, they make Perez look like a dumbass pay driver and act as if Ocon is an angel.

wicka fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I'm at episode 7 currently, and while I am actually enjoying it, it tends to be pretty one-sided or pretty drama-esque most of the time. Maybe it changes in future episodes? I don't know.

Irregardless of the one-sided story-telling, I'd be happy if we get something similar in the future...maybe not every season, but every couple of years. It's a nice summary of the overall season for most drivers.

Also Günther Steiner is a pretty cool and tough guy. He shows to the outside world (in this documentary) what I guess else happens behind locked doors.

I also enjoyed the open rivalry between Horner and Abiteboul, it gives the whole Ricciardo deal a perspective I failed to see before.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I enjoyed:
Williams running around with their hair on fire
McLaren running around with their hair on fire
Horner's cars crashing because he's such a loving twat gently caress that guy
Vijay getting arrested because he looks like a mid-level drug dealer
Dan

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
So lemme get this straight.

It’s a documentary but the documentary makers weave their own loving story into it? Is it made by the same loving assholes that made the Prost hit piece called Senna?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

All documentaries tell a story. The story of this one is "Daniel Ricciardo and Gunther Steiner are cool as hell."

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Yeah, almost like it's meant to tell the story of the actual events occurring and not interpreting poo poo based on your own biased views towards the subject matter.

9 years on and Senna still enrages me.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

each episode has it's own story, but there's also one long story weaved throughout all the episodes.

that long story is that Grosjean is a binman

It's hilarious seeing him get dunked on even by his own team.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Everyone is biased, Wirth

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Big Huski Boi posted:

Everyone is biased, Wirth

Except for me, my opinions are basically interchangeable with fact.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Powershift posted:

Except for me, my opinions are basically interchangeable with fact.

Powershift posted:

It's hilarious seeing him get dunked on even by his own team.

:hmmyes:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Big Huski Boi posted:

All documentaries tell a story. The story of this one is "Daniel Ricciardo and Gunther Steiner are cool as hell."

Daniel RicciardOWNS

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

https://twitter.com/missionwinnow/status/1098296176300965889?s=21

#Winnowing

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
drat I can’t believe some people have a different perspective on some events to me and have the audacity to weave that into a documentary series they made.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lmao I completely forgot that Grosjean’s big smokescreen was only last year

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Remember how grosjean couldn't figure out how to use the brakes? What were that all about.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I'm keeping a tally of people whom the show makes look better and whom it makes look worse

Worse:
Horner (is that possible?)
Vijay maybe?
Cyril
Lance
Claire (not necessarily looking bad but she just seems desperate and at the end of her rope and it's sad to watch)

Better:
Ocon
Grosjean maybe?
DAN DAN DAN DAN
Charles
Guenther

Death by hanging:
Max (because I didn't know Ocon was a Dickensian working class lad with a mechanic for a dad)

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I'm keeping a tally of people whom the show makes look better and whom it makes look worse

Worse:
Horner (is that possible?)
Vijay maybe?
Cyril
Lance
Claire (not necessarily looking bad but she just seems desperate and at the end of her rope and it's sad to watch)

Better:
Ocon
Grosjean maybe?
DAN DAN DAN DAN
Charles
Guenther

Death by hanging:
Max (because I didn't know Ocon was a Dickensian working class lad with a mechanic for a dad)

I'm not sure anyone looks worse than you would expect them to. Max comes off exactly like you would expect him to, as does Lance. Two guys that really seem to revel in playing the villain. Vijay always struck me as a bit of a used car salesman and nothing from this documentary has dissuaded me from that. Claire doesn't come off bad but it's sad to watch as you said.

The Perez stuff is weird as hell. I was under the assumption he was a pay driver in 2011 and 2012 but hadn't been one since. Am I wrong or is the documentary fabricating that?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

My favorite part was when Grosjean's boss said Grosjean wasn't invited to their celebration dinner and didn't deserve to eat, then had to tell everybody he would tell Grosjean he said that and not to gossip about it.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

julian assflange posted:

drat I can’t believe some people have a different perspective on some events to me and have the audacity to weave that into a documentary series they made.

For the last loving time, Michael Jackson diddled kids. How much more do you have to have to argue that he was actually framed??

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Akileese posted:

The Perez stuff is weird as hell. I was under the assumption he was a pay driver in 2011 and 2012 but hadn't been one since. Am I wrong or is the documentary fabricating that?
This is getting into some pretty complicated poo poo isn't it? Because wasn't Alonso effectively a pay driver technically for the Honda/McLaren years? Like Honda gave McLaren free engines and paid Alonso's salary?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Perez is a absolutely a pay driver, he brings boatloads of Carlos Slim's money, but he is also an extremely good driver who more than deserves his seat and *gasp* actually outperformed Ocon last year. So that's my one real criticism of the series so far, the way they portray Perez vs Ocon is not really accurate. It's great and all that Ocon came from nothing but they never once mentioned that he's heavily backed by Mercedes.

Cyril comes off looking like a genius who completely hoodwinked Horner. Ricciardo had convinced Horner he'd stay if they had a faster and more reliable power unit, so Horner thinks he's locked him up by switching to Honda, and he openly revels in no longer paying Renault. Then Renault signs Ricciardo out of nowhere and Cyril announces they will have an even larger budget for 2019. He totally flips the script. It's amazing, some of the best TV I've seen in months.

This is getting into some pretty complicated poo poo isn't it? Because wasn't Alonso effectively a pay driver technically for the Honda/McLaren years? Like Honda gave McLaren free engines and paid Alonso's salary?

Probably 2/3 of the grid either have personal sponsors or sponsors who are only signed to a team because of a driver they employ (e.g. Santander dropped McLaren the second Button left).

wicka fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 9, 2019

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I like the bit where the kids ask Nico Hulkenberg how many races he's won in F1.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
If only Horner could get slapped in the face by dicks EVERY day instead of once every six months or so

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I assume the obviously fake sounding commentary is fake commentary taking the place of a narrator?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah they hired one of the Formula E commentators to do the fake Crofty. If only Sky would hire that guy to replace the real Crofty.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Stroll’s team radio from Monaco was constant bitching during qualifying and then describing a puncture as “something happened”

What I’m saying is I’m sure he will do great things with not-Force India.

Death by hanging:

“I should have won that race” after he put his car into the wall in practise in Monaco. Get the gently caress out frogboy.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 9, 2019

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Yeah they hired one of the Formula E commentators to do the fake Crofty. If only Sky would hire that guy to replace the real Crofty.

Oh wtf I thought it was Crofty and that they modified his voice or whatever.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Nah it's a real other dude. He does good commentary on F-E with Dario and I think I've seen him in some youtube highlight vids from FOM or BBC or something.

Carbonate
Aug 3, 2005
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
That was the one part that I didn't like about it. He's a good commentator for Formula E, but it was so totally fake in this. They should have just done a regular narrator thing.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

Stroll’s team radio from Monaco was constant bitching during qualifying and then describing a puncture as “something happened”
Stroll has retired twice with a non-delaminating puncture, exposing him as the biggest fraud on the grid.

Actual picture.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Carbonate posted:

That was the one part that I didn't like about it. He's a good commentator for Formula E, but it was so totally fake in this. They should have just done a regular narrator thing.

It was very video game commentary

Carbonate
Aug 3, 2005
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Thanks Ants posted:

It was very video game commentary

Yes. That's put much better than I could have. It just totally felt out of place.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
Stroll driver of the day

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Jack Nicholls does F1 commentary on BBC 5 Live radio, so maybe they just used his radio commentary?

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

Wirth1000 posted:

For the last loving time, Michael Jackson diddled kids. How much more do you have to have to argue that he was actually framed??

Actually, which F1 driver is most likely to be a pedophile?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

The one that faked a brain injury to get out of the spotlight just before the allegations were to come to light. #keepdiddlingmichael

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

Jos

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

It doesn't really count as diddling when he's punching your balls and not fondling them.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

Wirth1000 posted:

The one that faked a brain injury to get out of the spotlight just before the allegations were to come to light. #keepdiddlingmichael

I believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:yikes: