Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mellow Seas posted:

Put me down for People A Lot Smarter Than Schultz '20.

Another vote for Trump :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Z. Autobahn posted:

Wrap it up Bernailures, Klobuchar's bringing the HEAT

https://twitter.com/mviser/status/1104430475446243328?s=21

Well, John Kerry has some competition for worst campaign trail zinger

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
https://twitter.com/ryanobles/status/1104547448213684224

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Biden bubble but Sanders and Warren in the lead. Good. I take it Buttguy didn't rate?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

It would be funny if Bernie just takes the lead BAM by double digits and stays there.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things
Just definitionally polling should never be breaking news, polling is always old by the time it's tabulated. BREAKING NEWS: Yesterday an unnamed old person said Biden is good and cool.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

theblackw0lf posted:

So I’m curious about something. Say Bernie Sanders becomes President. Dems get 50 senate seats and have the majority since VP is tie breaking vote. Jayapal’s Medicare for All bill passes the house. Joe Manchin says he can’t support M4A since it eliminates private insurance, but would support a version that keeps it. Also say all the pressure the grassroots puts on Manchin isn’t enough to sway him.

What would you want Bernie to do?

Not really trying to make a point just curious about people’s thoughts.

Wouldn't almost all insurance companies, aside from some luxury plans that cater to the top 1-2%, go out of business if they had to compete with M4A?

Isn't that the situation in most of Europe?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Z. Autobahn posted:

Wrap it up Bernailures, Klobuchar's bringing the HEAT

https://twitter.com/mviser/status/1104430475446243328?s=21

loving Rubio had better zingers than this.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

twodot posted:

Just definitionally polling should never be breaking news, polling is always old by the time it's tabulated. BREAKING NEWS: Yesterday an unnamed old person said Biden is good and cool.

The DMR poll was taken March 3-6, as Bernie was beginning his triple set of Iowa rallies.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Gatts posted:

Biden bubble but Sanders and Warren in the lead. Good. I take it Buttguy didn't rate?

ButtEdgeEdge got 2% along with a pile of other also-rans.

Edit: Also they did this poll in December and Biden is down 5 and Bernie is up 6 from then, so the trend line is good. We'll see if that continues once Biden officially announces.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I think Biden's gonna get a jump when he declares but hopefully it's not sustainable. The guy, his views, and policy is crap.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Charlz Guybon posted:

Wouldn't almost all insurance companies, aside from some luxury plans that cater to the top 1-2%, go out of business if they had to compete with M4A?

Isn't that the situation in most of Europe?

Health insurance companies, yes.
There's more insurance than health, so hopefully my job is safe :v:

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
https://twitter.com/katherinemiller/status/1104549466210734080?s=21

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

Health insurance companies, yes.
There's more insurance than health, so hopefully my job is safe :v:

Well, yeah that's what I meant.

So, I guess I don't see this theoretical Manchin demand as a deal breaker.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

That would take Sanders from 25 to 33 percent.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Gatts posted:

I think Biden's gonna get a jump when he declares but hopefully it's not sustainable. The guy, his views, and policy is crap.

Biden is currently just this side of a stand in for Generic Democrat. In the general population he's just been Obama's buddy who occasionally makes news for things like "That's a big loving deal" and accidentally pushing the Administration to fight for gay marriage. He's been essentially silent for a decade.

Suddenly having him actually talking and dropping his usually schtick on the people is going to cause massive whiplash for his approval numbers. He's not going to suddenly be hated or anything, but his poo poo wasn't even viable in 2008 when he didn't even manage to beat Bill Richardson in Iowa.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Charlz Guybon posted:

Well, yeah that's what I meant.

So, I guess I don't see this theoretical Manchin demand as a deal breaker.

Theres no way to try and have a dual system where health insurance companies can stick around as they are and have M4A as well. You can keep private insurance that does supplemental things that aren't medically necessary, cosmetic surgery for example, but you just can't keep them as they are and say "oh, well keep your private insurance if you want". If you tried to keep them as they are, then you'd have to grind down M4A so much, just so that it can't out compete private insurance, otherwise private insurance will die anyways by virtue of being worse.

If you get to the point where M4A is no better than people's current lovely insurance full of high deductibles and out of pocket expenses and network issues, then you've killed the whole point in having it. Its just fundamentally incompatible to keep health insurers as they are now, and have M4A next to it.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Charlz Guybon posted:

That would take Sanders from 25 to 33 percent.

Essentially a portion of the party the size of trump’s base. You gotta think that a sizeable portion of the Dems who would support Bernie Second will think about jumping ship once Biden’s murky past gets dragged into the public consciousness.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah, the important thing here is that Bernie is close to his floor right now, whereas Biden is close to his ceiling.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
I can't imagine a worse place for Biden to be than in a stage full of women. Given MeToo and his history with Anita Hill and his past statements on abortion - he is supremely hosed.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

The Kingfish posted:

Essentially a portion of the party the size of trump’s base. You gotta think that a sizeable portion of the Dems who would support Bernie Second will think about jumping ship once Biden’s murky past gets dragged into the public consciousness.

Trump's "base" at this point is somewhere between 33% and 40% of registered voters. He's at like 60 % + of Republicans.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Gyges posted:

Biden's problem, aside from being Biden, is that he's waited way too long to actually declare. As a result many candidates that would have been scared off by Biden have already entered and the share of voters that would make up a Biden constituency have been diluted. If he was the only establishment/old school/decorum guy running he'd have a better chance simply due to the proportional nature of the Democratic Primary. Which is the biggest hurdle for Bernie, who also waited too long to declare and as a result got more candidates in his general orbit than would be ideal.

Though, in Bernie's case, it's also true that his waiting so comparatively long to declare forced the entire field to shift towards his positions since the perceived 50% of the electorate from 2016 was too tempting a prize to leave open. The Hillary portion of the 2016 electorate was already inherently fractured by the definite candidacies of Gillibrand and Harris who were going to be in regardless of Biden's choice.

I think you're overestimating how many people have made up their minds. Polls are useful as a weathervane type thing or to watch trendlines, but even in Iowa right now I have to assume a lot of people aren't paying much attention yet, much less making up their minds. The low name ID candidates wanted to declare earlier to get their names out there before the big boys arrive (and in Warren's case I assume to try to carve out some space before the Sanders steamroller arrived), but it totally makes sense for people like Biden and Sanders to come in later.

And it's not really even 'late' yet, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Swalwell or a few others dive in before the field is complete. Historically, declarations have come as early as October/November two years before and as late as a few months before Iowa. Someone like Biden, if he got serious money behind him, could probably have entered after Iowa in previous cycles. Now, with TX and CA ballots going out the same day Iowans caucus, early November is probably the final cut off if you want to be on the ballot for the Super Tuesday states.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Trump's "base" at this point is somewhere between 33% and 40% of registered voters. He's at like 60 % + of Republicans.

90ish %. Worth noting that the number of people identifying as Republican is gradually trending down in most of those polls, but those that do absolutely love them some spray tans and elaborate comb-overs.

drawkcab si eman ym
Jan 2, 2006

Current swing states: AZ, NH, PA & WI

I have Biden as favorite in all of those except AZ but I have Sanders & Biden as co-favorites in the primary.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Tom Guycot posted:

Theres no way to try and have a dual system where health insurance companies can stick around as they are and have M4A as well. You can keep private insurance that does supplemental things that aren't medically necessary, cosmetic surgery for example, but you just can't keep them as they are and say "oh, well keep your private insurance if you want". If you tried to keep them as they are, then you'd have to grind down M4A so much, just so that it can't out compete private insurance, otherwise private insurance will die anyways by virtue of being worse.

If you get to the point where M4A is no better than people's current lovely insurance full of high deductibles and out of pocket expenses and network issues, then you've killed the whole point in having it. Its just fundamentally incompatible to keep health insurers as they are now, and have M4A next to it.

Plenty of countries do this so I'm not sure why you're saying it's impossible.

Moreover, I said this would drive the vast majority of health insurance companies out of business, leaving private plans a niche market for the rich. No one said anything about keeping health insurers around as they are now.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

What I'm seeing here is the 33% of Biden supporters only vote based on whose name they know

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

mandatory lesbian posted:

What I'm seeing here is the 33% of Biden supporters only vote based on whose name they know

yea Biden's literally just New JEB, his base is built on 'oh I know that name' and 'oh he's connected to a guy I like'. When he flames out Sanders is in prime position to take a chunk of his voters just due to 'hey, you know MY name too right?'

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Joe Biden absolutely terrified me but I am morbidly curious how he even campaigns in 2019 considering he is still defending of his former actions instead of trying to at least pretend he actually is for good things now like Harris.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I know it’s early and the difference isn’t much but I’m kind of surprised Harris is behind Warren. I know Warren has been hitting Iowa hard but I guess I expected Harris to already be the de facto not-Bernie/not-Biden. She’s also fourth-place in the second-choice category so it’s not like she would be currently poised to rise dramatically if one of the front runners dropped out/didn’t run.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

i am the bird posted:

I know it’s early and the difference isn’t much but I’m kind of surprised Harris is behind Warren. I know Warren has been hitting Iowa hard but I guess I expected Harris to already be the de facto not-Bernie/not-Biden. She’s also fourth-place in the second-choice category so it’s not like she would be currently poised to rise dramatically if one of the front runners dropped out/didn’t run.

Harris was always going to be running uphill. She's a candidate for president in America, she's black, and she's female.

On top of that she's made a couple of significant mistakes already around how to handle her past history as a prosecutor (laughing about smoking weed in college is not a good look when you've helped lock up thousands of people for possession. etc.).

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Harris was always going to be running uphill. She's a candidate for president in America, she's black, and she's female.

On top of that she's made a couple of significant mistakes already around how to handle her past history as a prosecutor (laughing about smoking weed in college is not a good look when you've helped lock up thousands of people for possession. etc.).

I assumed she’d be in distant third behind Biden/Sanders taking into account racism/sexism/name recognition, but also taking into account that Harris has significant establishment support. Falling behind Warren is strange to me (but again, it’s one poll a year out).

It’s also been said before but people are overestimating the impact of Harris’s prosecutor stuff with most primary voters. If what you’re saying is such a huge deal (electorally speaking — her actions are terrible and should be a huge deal), Biden would be in much worse shape.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I wonder if it's significant that Harris also has most of Hillary's campaign crew behind her, and we all know how effective THEY are.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

i am the bird posted:

It’s also been said before but people are overestimating the impact of Harris’s prosecutor stuff with most primary voters. If what you’re saying is such a huge deal (electorally speaking — her actions are terrible and should be a huge deal), Biden would be in much worse shape.

I think Biden probably has most of the ignorant / not-involved vote locked up already. If you've heard of Harris at all, you're probably involved enough to have heard of at least some of her history or her gaffes.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

i am the bird posted:

I assumed she’d be in distant third behind Biden/Sanders taking into account racism/sexism/name recognition, but also taking into account that Harris has significant establishment support. Falling behind Warren is strange to me (but again, it’s one poll a year out).

When was the last time an interviewer asked Biden if he had ever smoked weed?

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Gyges posted:

Biden is currently just this side of a stand in for Generic Democrat. In the general population he's just been Obama's buddy who occasionally makes news for things like "That's a big loving deal" and accidentally pushing the Administration to fight for gay marriage. He's been essentially silent for a decade.

Suddenly having him actually talking and dropping his usually schtick on the people is going to cause massive whiplash for his approval numbers. He's not going to suddenly be hated or anything, but his poo poo wasn't even viable in 2008 when he didn't even manage to beat Bill Richardson in Iowa.

I liken it to Hillary's stint as secretary of state. Her numbers went through the roof when she was basically out of sight, out of mind for the vast majority of voters except for the occasional "Secretary Clinton does something diplomatic" story.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/aseitzwald/status/1104765809803579397?s=21

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

When people say "moderate" or "centrist" they are entirely defining that based on the ideology of the upper 10% of people in this country. The entire pitch of the Democratic leadership is "the people are stupid and don't know what's best for them, only we know the proper way to lead" and they define "them" in that statement as the economy as a whole that mainly benefits the rich. It's no surprise that the party has such a hard time gaining traction as anything other than a pressure value that lets off steam for when the Republicans get a little too white supremacist and fascist. It's too bad that up until that point the Republicans are able to do insane amounts of damage to the system that no one in the DC establishment cares about since they are largely unaffected.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
Few thoughts on that poll:

- The MOE is almost 5% so Sanders is functionally tied with Biden, as is Hasrris with Warren
- Weirdly high favorability for Harris, second only to Biden, and the only candidate to improve in it since December; Biden and Bernie both fell, and Klobuchar tanked

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

i am the bird posted:

Harris isn't gonna be strong in IA

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Now this is a message I can get behind

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1104753008469049346?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/GingerGibson/status/1104109815276728322