Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I'll definitely watch this movie if they've secretly cast Arnold Schwarzenegger as the Doom Marine, but instead of being predictably silent, the script integrates as many Schwarzenegger one-liners into the movie as possible. Also, Schwarzenegger isn't on set for a single minute of filming--everything is worked in from archive footage of previous films and CGI. Basically Schwarzenegger can be dead and still do the part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Borgnine, while a great actor, is always funny.

Angel: [supportively] I hear Borgnine is a very skilled lover.

His legacy being reduced to a joke about his sexual prowess in a Joss Whedon show, it might not be much, but it stuck with me. Oh yeah, low budget Doom movie, I'm in. I can only hope they don't burn me Archvile style. I would love it if Arnold's likeness was used in the film. Doomguy is a commando, a predator, a running man, you name it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
SCENE: A factory of some sort. There are pipes running in all directions. Steam. The distant clang of heavy machinery. A sign flickers: "UAC WELCOMES YOU TO DEIMOS".

Space Marine (Girl): "Let's get this over with. I've got five days and a wake-up before retirement."

Space Marine (Boy): "I hear ya."

SUDDENLY, a GRAY ZOMBIE leaps out from behind a pipe and grabs at one of the SPACE MARINES.

Space Marine (Boy): "Holy poo poo, a hellbeast!"

The two SPACE MARINES struggle with the GRAY ZOMBIE for several desperate moments. Right when the GRAY ZOMBIE is about to sink its teeth into one of the SPACE MARINES and possibly infect them with HELL BACTERIA, an enormous Bowie knife shoots out from behind some pipes. The Bowie knife catches the GRAY ZOMBIE in its eye and launches it across the room, IMPALING it on the distant wall where its feet dangle off the ground. The camera zooms in on the hilt of the knife--a carved ivory skull imbued with a STRANGE, DEMONIC SYMBOL.

From out of the darkness comes a confident cry:

Mysterious Doom Marine: "STEEK ARHOUND."

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Then we play 6 or 7 uninterrupted minutes of Schwarzenegger stalking through the jungles of Predator's South America. We'll explain the jungle as a secret research facility built underneath the surface of Deimos to test UAC terraforming strategies.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
How do we work Mr. Freeze into this?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

drat, so far this has all the makings of being a shittier "Ghost of Mars", sans John Carpenter. I'm not familiar with anybody they've cast so far, but almost all of them look like bright-eyed babies.

I think that Ghosts of Mars was a better Doom movie than the original real Doom movie so I guess this isn't going to top it

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm not really interested in seeing another Doom movie. I don't think most gameplay-driven franchises would translate that well to movies. At least they're calling them actual demons this time though, which is a point in the movie's favor.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the only good doom movie would be essentially john wick but with demons instead of eastern european mobsters

and doom guy talks even less than keanu does

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

juggalo baby coffin posted:

the only good doom movie would be essentially john wick but with demons instead of eastern european mobsters

and doom guy talks even less than keanu does

EXT. DOOMGUY TRYING TO FIND A DOOR

-DOOMGUY-
"Unf! Unf unf unf!"

HE FINDS THE DOOR

-DOOR-
"Pshoot!"

DOOMGUY GRINS

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I dont think Doom is a sensible fit for movies and Im puzzled why there are now two attempts at this. Like I get that Doom is an absolute masterpiece, but not all masterpieces in other media become films

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I did not want to watch a Doom movie in 2005 and I do not want to watch a Doom movie in 2019. I also won't watch a Doom movie in 2033 either.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Then we play 6 or 7 uninterrupted minutes of Schwarzenegger stalking through the jungles of Predator's South America. We'll explain the jungle as a secret research facility built underneath the surface of Deimos to test UAC terraforming strategies.

have the jungle be in Africa and make it actually be a Plutonia movie

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

BattleMaster posted:

I think that Ghosts of Mars was a better Doom movie than the original real Doom movie so I guess this isn't going to top it
Doom coop.mpeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-2WmcLl_PQ

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

gently caress I hate Dread Central's redesign. Anyway, I'll probably give it a shot as well. Hell, I liked Ghosts of Mars.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
A Doom movie could probably work if they treated it like John Wick with demons. There's no way an interesting plot comes out of it beyond "angriest man in the universe smashes hellspawn with his fists"

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

has anyone mentioned yet that a doom movie would work if it was basically john wick with demons?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
They killed his dog rabbit

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Shoehead posted:

They killed his dog rabbit

That rabbit was a final gift from his dying drill sergeant.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you play Quake Champions the Doom Slayer has a rabbits paw item because he never forgot Daisy so you know what, gently caress it, get somebody out here thirsty for an Oscar for my tortured character study Doom movie

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
doom by m night shyamalan. the whole thing is filmed in first-person perspective with a silent protagonist, and in the last 5 minutes of the movie the camera enters a bathroom for the first time and we realise that we were the bunny all along

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Roobanguy posted:

has anyone mentioned yet that a doom movie would work if it was basically john wick with demons?

:v:

Soricidus posted:

doom by m night shyamalan. the whole thing is filmed in first-person perspective with a silent protagonist, and in the last 5 minutes of the movie the camera enters a bathroom for the first time and we realise that we were the bunny all along

So basically the Smack My Bitch Up video? That would be cool but pretty exhausting after 90 minutes!

Convex fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Mar 10, 2019

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Convex posted:

:v:

So basically the Smack My Bitch Up video? That would be cool but pretty exhausting after 90 minutes!
Hardcore Doomguy.

Hardcore Henry wasn't exactly great, but it was about that long and it really started to get tiring after an hour. Fortunately the nausea which kicked in after about twenty minutes didn't last that long.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
A Doom movie should be just an old school slasher movie, but Doomguy is the slasher. Imps are the horny teens.

A Doom movie should be First Blood but the cops are demons. It should end with Doomguy cradling Daisy on Earth and screaming "NOTHING IS OVER!"

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Shoehead posted:

A Doom movie should be First Blood but the cops are demons. It should end with Doomguy cradling Daisy on Earth and screaming "NOTHING IS OVER!"

Brian Dennehy as Satan would actually be pretty cool. Richard Crenna as... Commander Keen?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
We already have a perfectly serviceable action movie plot for doom - first act shows our hero serving in the military, beating up his commanding officer to protect the civilians, and then getting sent off to the Mars outpost. All stuff from the original game's intro documents, maybe grab some doom Bible stuff to flesh it out. Then the rest of the movie is the actual game events with the overall plot thrust being the realization that this ain't just teleporter madness, this be demons! Then after blowing up the bosses and gating back to earth, you can do the bunny ending straight up.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Nah, they shouldn't have the Doomguy be the protagonist. The movie should be about a team finding and releasing the doomguy from his sarcophagus after Hell Breaks Loose

The movie should basically be exactly like Aliens 2. A group of badasses walking around super creepy environments fighting hordes of super creepy monsters

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Lemon-Lime posted:

People keep bringing up Republic Commando as an amazing game, but I played through it for the first time a few years ago and didn't find it that great - the squad system was way over-hyped, the level design sucked, and the actual shooting felt pretty bad.

Anyway, my pick is Tron 2.0, which remains the best game Monolith ever made.

As someone who never even heard of Tron 2.0 would it still be worth picking up today?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dr. VooDoo posted:

As someone who never even heard of Tron 2.0 would it still be worth picking up today?

Its fun and made from a failed script for a Tron 2 movie so its similar but distinct from Tron: Legacy

If you like FPS games and dont mind something thats behind the times in some QoL areas and old, fire er up because the game aint bad.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Barudak posted:

I dont think Doom is a sensible fit for movies and Im puzzled why there are now two attempts at this. Like I get that Doom is an absolute masterpiece, but not all masterpieces in other media become films

There's a breed of medium budget movies where they tie in to any brand possible because it will give a large amount of free marketing.

My guess is that when they can't make a sequel/prequel it's a much safer option than trying to create a new IP.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Zzulu posted:

Aliens 2

Cool you've found my pet peeve

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It's a pretty solid FPS with light RPG elements and fantastic aesthetics, even if it has a couple of annoying levels (the PDA one springs to mind). It's also a much better Tron sequel than Legacy. :colbert:

Make sure to fanpatch it, this page has links to the unofficial patch and Killer App fanpatch.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Soricidus posted:

Bathroom design by bEatmasterJ, so that we already have the official mod of the movie.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Tron 2.0 owns

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

BaconCopter posted:

I had no clue it had piercing. :eyepop: That indeed pushes it over the top.

uh top of the page image of the best gun in any game

To this day I have no idea what that gun is meant to be or how it's meant to work, but it's fun as hell.

I first discovered it when I learned that LAPOSTAL in the demo gives you all the guns from the full version. Highly recommended.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

BattleMaster posted:

Cool you've found my pet peeve

Hah, I didn't even notice it myself

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

CJacobs posted:

I did not want to watch a Doom movie in 2005 and I do not want to watch a Doom movie in 2019. I also won't watch a Doom movie in 2033 either.

What if it was good though? You're just like, steadfastly against a movie involving demon shooting?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

What if it was good though? You're just like, steadfastly against a movie involving demon shooting?

It's a non-issue because a good Doom movie won't be made. Hollywood will never understand why people enjoy video games, there are dozens of years' worth of evidence documenting this.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

CJacobs posted:

It's a non-issue because a good Doom movie won't be made. Hollywood will never understand why people enjoy video games, there are dozens of years' worth of evidence documenting this.

At the very least, the John Wick with Demons concept sounds pretty on point.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
thank god a good doom movie exists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8aU4MYDsOQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

CJacobs posted:

Maybe, but another explanation is just that the formats aren't really that compatible. Games which are all about the action and don't have much story are fun for the gameplay; movies have to have some significant story elements (even if the story is bad). Games which have depth to their stories tend to have too much story - they need to sustain the game's plot over at least 8 hours, which is too long to fit comfortably into a movie's 1 1/2 to 2 hours.