Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
The whole matrix/wire fights thing from the Charlies Angels movies seems weird now. Maybe it was weird at the time too but I don't remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Gaunab posted:

The whole matrix/wire fights thing from the Charlies Angels movies seems weird now. Maybe it was weird at the time too but I don't remember.

If that feels weird, it is even weirder in Men in Black 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmiuxlIAlhY

Why is this overweight and middle aged man capable of doing wuxia somersaults all of a sudden?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Its a joke in a comedy film

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've said it a million times, but please keep jokes out of this, the Wuxia Purity Forum

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So glad the time when every comedy had to have a Matrix bullet time parody sequence ended. It's even in the cow fight in Kung Pow! Enter the Fist, which is already the weakest part of the movie.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I kind of miss the leather trench look.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s crazy to me that The Matrix is 20 years old.

Also worst matrix parody was this, but they get points for using the song from the lobby scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHJYN7anzqg

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Sunswipe posted:

So glad the time when every comedy had to have a Matrix bullet time parody sequence ended. It's even in the cow fight in Kung Pow! Enter the Fist, which is already the weakest part of the movie.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Sunswipe posted:

Kung Pow is proof that God is real but he hates us and wants us to suffer.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

rodbeard posted:

Because Kung Pow gives us a glimpse at the comedy of heaven, then leaves us in a world of Seltzer and Friedberg.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Even more baffling was the Matrix slow or in games. I recently replayed Final Fantasy IX on the Switch, and during the ending cutscene it has a out of place Matrix camera spin that just takes you out of the action.

keeper
Jun 5, 2002

CelticPredator posted:

It’s crazy to me that The Matrix is 20 years old.

Also worst matrix parody was this, but they get points for using the song from the lobby scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHJYN7anzqg

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Jedit posted:

Better than that, someone actually put up a joke Kickstarter to fund a real release of Cones of Dunshire.

The Gloomhaven guy made his own Cones of Dunshire version at some point and subjected his friend group to it. You can read about it on his blog.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Once upon a time I decided to rent Kung Pow because someone told me it was a good movie but I had forgotten the name and ended up renting Kung Fu Hustle by mistake.

Turned out pretty well imo

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

christmas boots posted:

Once upon a time I decided to rent Kung Pow because someone told me it was a good movie but I had forgotten the name and ended up renting Kung Fu Hustle by mistake.

Yeah that was for the best for sure

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.

christmas boots posted:

Lucky! Holy crap Kung Fu hustle is a great movie!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Talk about failing up!

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I watched a Star Trek TNG episode a few months back that was weird and staggeringly racist/anti-Irish. They respond to an old distress signal and find a planet full of Irish people living like peasants, and all they want to do is drink, and the leader keeps offering his daughter to be married off to the crew.

And then they find another planet where everyone is a clone, but the people on the enterprise are horrified at the idea of this planet taking some of the crews dna to bring more healthy diversity to the gene pool of the planet, even though not doing so will make them extinct within the next generation or so. And then all the star fleet people are so sick of those troublesome Irish peasants that they just offload them onto the clone planet to get rid of them. It ends with them joking about mandatory polygamy.

Then the next episode was just one long joke about Diana Troy's mother going into menapause.

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Red Bones posted:

I watched a Star Trek TNG episode a few months back that was weird and staggeringly racist/anti-Irish. They respond to an old distress signal and find a planet full of Irish people living like peasants, and all they want to do is drink, and the leader keeps offering his daughter to be married off to the crew.

And then they find another planet where everyone is a clone, but the people on the enterprise are horrified at the idea of this planet taking some of the crews dna to bring more healthy diversity to the gene pool of the planet, even though not doing so will make them extinct within the next generation or so. And then all the star fleet people are so sick of those troublesome Irish peasants that they just offload them onto the clone planet to get rid of them. It ends with them joking about mandatory polygamy.

Then the next episode was just one long joke about Diana Troy's mother going into menapause.

Dammit, Wesley

This show sucks now and it's all your fault*

*there are a few good scenes in the multiple seasons of that dreck but good luck wading through that :toot:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Red Bones posted:

If I remember correctly, at least one early ST:TNG casting director or writer or something was fired for being overtly racist and for constantly using Irish and/or dark skinned people as a shorthand for degenerates and/or savages.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Skratchez posted:

Dammit, Wesley

This show sucks now and it's all your fault*

*there are a few good scenes in the multiple seasons of that dreck but good luck wading through that :toot:

Oh yeah. Absolute dreck, like who can even sit through Chain Of Command or The Drumhead? Kidding aside, season 3 onward had waaay more hits than misses.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Der Kyhe posted:

If I remember correctly, at least one early ST:TNG casting director or writer or something was fired for being overtly racist and for constantly using Irish and/or dark skinned people as a shorthand for degenerates and/or savages.

A director got fired for being hoo-booy racist in an early ep?
Code of Honor

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Code of Honor

Never forget, the writer for that episode somehow wound up on SG-1 and plagiarized that episode to write the worst SG-1 episode.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

bunnyofdoom posted:

Code of Honor

God that episode of was a piece of poo poo.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

quote:

In this episode, the entire humanoid population of the planet is portrayed by African-American performers. In the teleplay, however, only Lutan's guards were specifically written as being African.

Why would this even be in the script.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

MorgaineDax posted:

Why would this even be in the script.

Because it is quite apparent that "shoe box full of cocaine" should get writing credits for at least half of the S1 and S2 TNG episodes where the Old Perv Gene was still calling the shots.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m sad the script wasn’t racist in a completely different way, like by having everyone be Dutch or Japanese or something.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Red Bones posted:

Ah yes, everyone's favorite episode, "Up the Long Ladder". And just in time for Saint Paddy's Day. Top o' the marnin' ta ye!
The best part is in the clip show "Shades of Grey" when Riker remembers Midriff Lass during his coma. Nothing else about the episode of course. He just like "drat."

Speaking of which, on my end, it looks like we're about to watch the episode that I hear got a bunch of people in the UK angry. Either at the Irish, or on behalf of the Irish, I don't remember. "The High Ground".

And yeah, the other episode, with Troi's mom going through menopause, has some funny moments but gets kind of weird and sad in an unpleasant way. Especially when she falls in love with a hologram because she can't read his mind, and everyone just kind of laughs at her for not knowing. And then she's just like, sad about it. It's really awkward.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

They had to take her down a peg because Lwaxana Troi is the best character on any star trek and the other actors were getting jealous

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Sir Lemming posted:

Ah yes, everyone's favorite episode, "Up the Long Ladder". And just in time for Saint Paddy's Day. Top o' the marnin' ta ye!
The best part is in the clip show "Shades of Grey" when Riker remembers Midriff Lass during his coma. Nothing else about the episode of course. He just like "drat."

Speaking of which, on my end, it looks like we're about to watch the episode that I hear got a bunch of people in the UK angry. Either at the Irish, or on behalf of the Irish, I don't remember. "The High Ground".

And yeah, the other episode, with Troi's mom going through menopause, has some funny moments but gets kind of weird and sad in an unpleasant way. Especially when she falls in love with a hologram because she can't read his mind, and everyone just kind of laughs at her for not knowing. And then she's just like, sad about it. It's really awkward.

It was funnier when Lwaxana fell in love with Odo

But that's DS9 and not TNG

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

rodbeard posted:

tiger tiger, thats alot of nuts, taco bell and shirt ripper was the height of comedy

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Skratchez posted:

It was funnier when Lwaxana fell in love with Odo

But that's DS9 and not TNG

DS9 was the best.

Speaking of not aging well,

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

DS9 was the best.

Speaking of not aging well,

Is there literally a single Star Trek book that has aged well?

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
A TOS one I can vaguely remember had a friendly crew of Neo-Confederate sympathizers. Yes, that kind of Confederate.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'd say Diane Duane's books aged well. Or at least they stood up preeeety well when I re-read them last year. She's got the writing chops to pull off a Mary Sue, her other main OCdonotsteal had a job based on actually thinking about what crew actually need to stay sane. So she wrote in the head of Recreation as a sub-department head under McCoy. They didn't have a full-up holodeck, but the head of recreation could come up with the occasional immersive environment or have a conversation with the main cast that sheds light on character or plot points.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
Yeah, I remember the early Pocket Books novels (which kicked off with the novelization of the first movie) being pretty decent.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Sir Lemming posted:

There's like one line where they mention the 'reunification of Ireland in 2024', which got the episode cut from airing in the UK until 2007.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Going back to Scrubs for a moment, I just remembered how they had a big dramatic episode where they killed off a long-standing tertiary character (Laverne) only to recast the same actor as an identical character with a different name. What the gently caress was going on there? Who thought that was a good idea?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Tiggum posted:

Going back to Scrubs for a moment, I just remembered how they had a big dramatic episode where they killed off a long-standing tertiary character (Laverne) only to recast the same actor as an identical character with a different name. What the gently caress was going on there? Who thought that was a good idea?

I think the story was they thought it was the last season so they wanted some emotional weight with a dead character but oops they got renewed and felt bad she was gone so they brought her back.

Should have had it be one of the even more tertiary characters like Colonel Doctor or Snoop Dog Resident

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Tiggum posted:

i remember the episode where she died being godawful so i like to tell myself that the writers realized that and just decided to bring the actress back because gently caress that episode