Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Booley posted:

GW plastic and metal will probably be fine. Resin/finecast will bend and you'll need to heat and rebend them. I'm not sure what it'll do to potted paints, but I'd remove them. If it's not too hard I'd take everything out of your house.

Former AZ resident whose AC went out in July a couple of years ago.

Rattle cans and pots are ok. The paints will evap a little bit and need to be shaken well (ideally with an agitator), but otherwise behave normally.

Resin, plastic, and pewter are also fine.

Inks and glues, though, remove (and any other alcohol based paint).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
What are your opinions on slotta bases? I'm building my first models ever that use this style, and I'm wondering if I should just assemble as intended using the slot or if it's worth the trouble to just clip the models at the feet and fill the slots with milliput or something.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mikey Purp posted:

What are your opinions on slotta bases? I'm building my first models ever that use this style, and I'm wondering if I should just assemble as intended using the slot or if it's worth the trouble to just clip the models at the feet and fill the slots with milliput or something.

If the slot is there I see no reason to not use it.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If the slot is there I see no reason to not use it.

:wink: PM me

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Put the finishing touches on a dwarf rogue lady

Overall, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Put the finishing touches on a dwarf rogue lady

Overall, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

She is stoked about her knives

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

She is stoked about her knives

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
Wolfy bois! Need another coat of matte varnish though.

dedian fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 9, 2019

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I said come in! posted:

Hello fellow new painter! I experience the same anxieties you do about posting my paint jobs. You're a lot further along in skill level than I am for what it's worth it! I like these dudes you did, they are awesome. :)

Thank you! I’ve seen what you’ve posted here and it looks like you’re really progressing, keep it up!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
My chaos men needed transport

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

goodness posted:

Yes but what does it taste like?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Crossposting the last time with the results of my freehand tutorials.

Z the IVth posted:

Have some nice pink titans.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
I would like some opinions on a shape for magic effects before i commit green-stuff to it. I made this using blue-tack so sorry if it looks bad, i just wanted to convey the general shape i was going for.

This is my idea (roughly) for a fireball/ magic fire effect, but i'm also thinking of a smokey/wispy magical type effect (modelling that using blue-tack has proven really hard for me).

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Holy poo poo does Forgeworld ship fast. I ordered Tuesday and had a parcel in my hands Thursday afternoon. Painting some more skeletons this week, but will have to wait for March Break to start painting SM’s.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Pierzak posted:

Yes but what does it taste like?

Sour apple and death

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

goodness posted:

Holy poo poo, those teeny-tiny Dreadclaws are adorable!!! :swoon:

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I forgot how hard it is to get paint to adhere properly to vintage airfix.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Cross-posting from Infinity thread because I'm shameless. Got the itch to paint again and finally finished my Unidron team.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Nice!

Space Marine decorum question: should pauldron color (gold in this case) match armor stud color?

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Mine doesn't.

Mistafab
May 15, 2009

Remember gitface when I promised to kill you last?

I LIED
Was up all night painting a rat ogre.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Does anyone have a guide for painting bionics? I cannot find one online. It looks like most people just use Leadbelcher and Nuln, however the FW pic of the Legion Praevian has what appears to be a red or purple wash that adds some visual interest...

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I usually do mine balthasar gold > nuln oil > runefang steel > necron compound; gives them a brass-like look that I like. if I want them to look antique, I then add a thin layer of nihilakh oxide.

e: Balthasar gold, not brass scorpion D:
e2: I r dumb, and not to be trusted :eng99:

inscrutable horse fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 10, 2019

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

I don’t think I’ve posted much (if at all in this thread) - just getting back into painting over the last few years, and have been lurking here religiously...

But, just wanted to chime in and say - I’ve backed this, and I have no idea what I’m going to use it for, but it’s going on some minis, that’s for sure:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/culturehustle/the-blackest-black-paint-in-the-world-black-30

Also - if anyone in the UK is near a Hobbycraft, they should check it out. Was there yesterday, and picked up some decent brushes, and odd acrylic paints (lots of Tamiya, Humbrol, Revell). Seriously thinking about getting dropper bottles from Aliexpress and decanting all my pot paints into them...

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.

Amphigory posted:

But, just wanted to chime in and say - I’ve backed this, and I have no idea what I’m going to use it for, but it’s going on some minis, that’s for sure:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/culturehustle/the-blackest-black-paint-in-the-world-black-30

...Seriously thinking about getting dropper bottles from Aliexpress and decanting all my pot paints into them...

Why not combine your enjoyment of kickstarter and your need to decant your pots into droppers? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hugeminis/ultimate-dropper-bottle-transfer-kit

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Haha, holy poo poo. I already have a wee funnel, and dropper bottles are 87p for 10 on Ali. And I have plenty of resin skulls for agitators. Kickstarter is such a scam

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Amphigory posted:

Haha, holy poo poo. I already have a wee funnel, and dropper bottles are 87p for 10 on Ali. And I have plenty of resin skulls for agitators. Kickstarter is such a scam

15cc Dropper Bottles: $0.34 Each
Mini Polyethylene Funnel: $0.98 Each
0.25" Stainless Steel Balls: $0.0252 Each
Aerator Thing: Junk

So about $9.50 not including the stupid aerator thing or bulk prices.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

inscrutable horse posted:

I usually do mine balthasar gold > nuln oil > runefang steel > necron compound; gives them a brass-like look that I like. if I want them to look antique, I then add a thin layer of nihilakh oxide.

e: Balthasar gold, not brass scorpion D:
e2: I r dumb, and not to be trusted :eng99:

I have no idea what to think :(

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

This is neat and inexpensive! Good link.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I was finally able to get some Simple Green, I want to soak my figures for about 24 hours before scrubbing the paint off under water and a brush, right?

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
I brush without water first, then finish off with water.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

goodness posted:

drat! Making it real hard for me to resist buying a resin printer

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Professor Shark posted:

I have no idea what to think :(

I was actually painting when I was replying, and it was a steaming pile of hot nonsense, since I was only paying half attention to what I was typing. The post went through a number of iterations of brass scorpions and leadbelchers, until I finally got my head out of my rear end, and edited in the actual paint progression: balthasar gold base > nuln oil shade > runefang steel edge highlight > (light) necron compound drybrush; though the last two are pretty interchangable. Optionally, you could substitute runefang steel for gehennas gold, if you want more of a golden colour; and finally, you could add a thin layer of nihilakh oxide for that antique look.

That was what I meant to type.

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

I said come in! posted:

I was finally able to get some Simple Green, I want to soak my figures for about 24 hours before scrubbing the paint off under water and a brush, right?

I find that even after a 24 hour soak, Simple Green sometimes doesn't do the job. I used to use it until I discovered Super Clean. It contains sodium hydroxide, which eats any organic compound. This includes acrylic paint, super glue and your skin and mucus membranes, so wear gloves and don't breathe the fumes. Super Clean strips models, well, clean after a 12 hour soak and can be found in the automotive aisle of your favorite box retail chain.

Also hello thread, I'll make a nice topical effortpost with photos of my Howling Griffons later

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Continuing work on Hutchuk. The grip on the hammer is a failure, just one in a long line of personal failures involving blue, but otherwise I think he's turned out better than expected.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Decided to work on another unit for my Death Guard. Got the green armor done, Balthasar Gold & Agrax wash done and did some red sores & yellow pustules on the armor. Loads more to go! Then to work on 2 more!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The French Army posted:

I find that even after a 24 hour soak, Simple Green sometimes doesn't do the job. I used to use it until I discovered Super Clean. It contains sodium hydroxide, which eats any organic compound. This includes acrylic paint, super glue and your skin and mucus membranes, so wear gloves and don't breathe the fumes. Super Clean strips models, well, clean after a 12 hour soak and can be found in the automotive aisle of your favorite box retail chain.

Also hello thread, I'll make a nice topical effortpost with photos of my Howling Griffons later

Yeah I am finding that Simple Green is going to leave behind paint in the hard to reach places, so that is frustrating. I may just have to consider this figure a lost cause which sucks. Plastic is expensive! :homebrew:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I said come in! posted:

Yeah I am finding that Simple Green is going to leave behind paint in the hard to reach places, so that is frustrating. I may just have to consider this figure a lost cause which sucks. Plastic is expensive! :homebrew:

I mean, if there's just some paint left in hard-to-reach places I assume they're also hard to see, so just paint over em! You're going to be re-priming the things anyway.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Also, assuming you're thinning your paints enough, it's not that big a deal to paint over a previous paintjob. It'd take a few redos before you really notice any loss of detail, especially on hard plastic, which isn't the most detailed to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Avenging Dentist posted:

Also, assuming you're thinning your paints enough, it's not that big a deal to paint over a previous paintjob. It'd take a few redos before you really notice any loss of detail, especially on hard plastic, which isn't the most detailed to begin with.

Inspector_666 posted:

I mean, if there's just some paint left in hard-to-reach places I assume they're also hard to see, so just paint over em! You're going to be re-priming the things anyway.

This was a model where I was still learning how to do thin my paints and did a piss poor job. If I knew how to thin my paints to begin with then I wouldn't be in this mess. :P