Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Basically I'm just bitter that we got Ultimate Admiral instead of Ultimate General: Waterloo.

Another 10 years and maybe we'll get Ultimate Commander: World edition with global naval warfare and massive land battles :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Out of curiosity, what is the best anti-cap heavy fighter?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

ZombieLenin posted:

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

dogsarentdangerous posted:

Someone who wants to Jack Aubrey their way around the coast, blowing up forts, stealing docked ships and playing string duets with their surgeon?

This does seem like the lesser of two weevils

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

ZombieLenin posted:

^

But for a serious answer, what era are you talking and do you mean in a game?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

FrangibleCover posted:

^

But for a serious answer, what era are you talking and do you mean in a game?

I do, wrong thread though. It was a spreadheets online question. :newlol:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEvdvgV7ILY

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

Neophyte posted:

This does seem like the lesser of two weevils

Cur-tailed! *heartily thumps table*

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
He who would pun would pick a pocket

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Hey guys, is it okay to ask for recommendations here?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Dodoman posted:

No!!!

just ask jeez

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Dodoman posted:

Absolutely forbidden.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking for a game similar to one I played growing up, Pacific theatre of operations 2. I haven't been able to find anything which has the same balance of playability and light complexity. There are plenty of games set in the same theatre but they're all extremely complex and I don't really have the time for them (Gary grisby's Pacific at war, cmano etc).

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I recommend War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition (by Gary Grigsby).

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

V for Vegas posted:

that's right

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
My brain and my wallet in concert :psyboom:

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Just do it.

Alternately wait to see what this WW2 anouncment Dmitiris keeps banging on about is.

Or RTW 2 as well I suppose.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I would recommend, in no particular order:

Pacific General, which on GOG.com
Order of Battle, with the Rising Sun or US Pacific DLCs
Battlestations: Midway / Battlestations: Pacific
Victory at Sea: Pacific

V for Vegas posted:

War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition specifically isn't by Grigsby. The original War in the Pacific is, with AE being something of a "fan project" (albeit a massively successful one) by an outfit that calls themselves Henderson Field.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
War Plan Pacific deserves a mention, underrated game imo

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Dodoman posted:

I'm looking for a game similar to one I played growing up, Pacific theatre of operations 2. I haven't been able to find anything which has the same balance of playability and light complexity. There are plenty of games set in the same theatre but they're all extremely complex and I don't really have the time for them (Gary grisby's Pacific at war, cmano etc).

You likely actually want more Koei games. Anything under the Romance of the Three Kingdoms or Nobunaga's Ambition brands.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

So apparently we get a discount on RtW2 if we already own RtW?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

dublish posted:

So apparently we get a discount on RtW2 if we already own RtW?

Sweet! How much?

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

I cannot wait to buy RTW2 and wait a few days to get my Serial Code Emailed to me.....

working in infosec this drives me insane :psyduck:

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Sweet! How much?

I don't know, I found a thread on their forums talking about the announcement, but haven't found the announcement itself yet. Galagagalaxian might know more, I hope.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tythas posted:

I cannot wait to buy RTW2 and wait a few days to get my Serial Code Emailed to me.....

working in infosec this drives me insane :psyduck:

To be fair when I bought it I got it like, same day on a sunday night.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

To be fair when I bought it I got it like, same day on a sunday night.

The RTW serial codes are manually generated and emailed to you by a guy, so how quickly you get your code depends 100% on how long it is until that guy checks his email and does his thing after you buy it. Which is like the most wargame process imaginable, rivaling even the Battlefront/Combat Mission patching system.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

gohuskies posted:

The RTW serial codes are manually generated and emailed to you by a guy, so how quickly you get your code depends 100% on how long it is until that guy checks his email and does his thing after you buy it. Which is like the most wargame process imaginable, rivaling even the Battlefront/Combat Mission patching system.

god forbid something happen to that guy,

On a different note I can't wait to get RTW2

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I'll take RTW's "Gord will personally email you a code when he wakes up from his nap" system over Battlefront any day considering they've never charged for patches and seem to have a reasonably transparent development process and release schedule.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

gohuskies posted:

Yeah but whereas Battlefront would probably charge existing owners £10 more for a second game just because gently caress you, NWS are giving us a discount. A subtle but important distinction :v:

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Dodoman posted:

Try Pacific Theater Of Operations IV on PS2. It isn't particularly rare or expensive.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

dublish posted:

I don't know, I found a thread on their forums talking about the announcement, but haven't found the announcement itself yet. Galagagalaxian might know more, I hope.

Nothing I can remember off hand. I did a quick search of the RTW1 subforum and while I did see a mention of a discount for RTW1 ownres, no specifics.

In way of apology, a quick tidbit from Fredrik:

quote:

This French battleship was hit by almost everything possible while covering an invasion of Sicily. Bombs, airdropped torpedoes, destroyer torpedoes and a submarine torpedo! She was lucky in that the destroyer torpedo was a dud, otherwise she would definitely not have made it back to port!

I feel bad for that destroyer, hits the battleship with a dud torp and in return takes a 16" shell.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

gohuskies posted:

Yeah. I’ve never bought one of their games at launch before, so how does that work? Does he just sit down at his computer and bang out orders for a while?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Pirate Radar posted:

Yeah. I’ve never bought one of their games at launch before, so how does that work? Does he just sit down at his computer and bang out orders for a while?

If he knows what's good for him.

They're leaving thousands or tens of thousands of dollars on the table for not making this a Steam game. The curator recommendations alone would make them a pile o' money.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I played a wargame as a kid called Clash of Steel, which was the usual Nazis v Soviets thing. Is there anything else like that out there? It was fun, the right mix for me of casual and crunch.

Also sword of Aragon, though that’s hardly a grog game.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Beefeater1980 posted:

I played a wargame as a kid called Clash of Steel, which was the usual Nazis v Soviets thing. Is there anything else like that out there? It was fun, the right mix for me of casual and crunch.

Also sword of Aragon, though that’s hardly a grog game.

I also grew up with Clash of Steel - that game fuckin' owned.

Strategic Command is the closest modern equivalent. I would recommend the original: https://www.gog.com/game/strategic_command_european_theater

The mid-2000s sequels are SQUARE-BASED, which is extremely gauche for a grognard game, and the latest iteration has kind of a janky combat system and the scale is off.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Beefeater1980 posted:

Strategic Command WW2 is very similar
https://store.steampowered.com/app/957720/Strategic_Command_WWII_World_at_War/

e;fb: what he said

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

yeah either get the original or get https://store.steampowered.com/app/593030/Strategic_Command_WWII_War_in_Europe/ which is also hex based.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I enjoyed Stratcom a lot when I played it ten years ago, dunno how different the new ones are

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

praise Lum_

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

William Miller, NWS posted:

We will be having an 'NWS Conference'© soon and will let everyone know more details about pricing and discounts, etc.

The price will likely be comparable to the original RTW when it was released, if that helps any...

Part of me feels stupid for posting such minor tidbits, but damnit, I'm just so excited for RTW2.