Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So, I finally developed my first roll of film! A roll of Hola 400 (120 film, dunno if it comes in other sizes) - and it seems like it went pretty well! A few questions on the results, though. A few of the pictures with the sky in them, the sky fades from light towards the horizon to dark towards the top:

Is this just how the film acts, or is it the fault of development?

There’s also some slight vertical streaks in the upper-right of this shot, that don’t seem to be in other shots:

That one was at the bottom of the film strip when I had it hanging to dry, could it be water streaks?

There’s also a weird light/dark spot in the top-right of this shot:

Which doesn’t seem to be in any other frames.

Also, you can see on all these shots, the edges of the frames appear to be slightly light. Is that a light leak in the camera? Was it a problem with development? Something else??

All these problems appear in the negatives, so I’m fairly certain they’re not scanning problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

CodfishCartographer posted:

So, I finally developed my first roll of film! A roll of Hola 400 (120 film, dunno if it comes in other sizes) - and it seems like it went pretty well! A few questions on the results, though. A few of the pictures with the sky in them, the sky fades from light towards the horizon to dark towards the top:

Is this just how the film acts, or is it the fault of development?

That's normal. The sky is lighter near the horizon. Your shots are either underexposed in camera or while scanning. The snow is gray and the shadows inside the trees are solid black. Keep in mind that a mostly white scene or a scene that is mostly bright sky will trip up a reflective meter and make it think everything is way too bright. Compensate with some extra exposure. Less of an issue with an incident meter. Same with your scanner; any auto setting would see all that white and try to tone it down so everything looks more balanced.

There’s also some slight vertical streaks in the upper-right of this shot, that don’t seem to be in other shots:

That one was at the bottom of the film strip when I had it hanging to dry, could it be water streaks?

Looks a lot like it. I've solved my streaking issues by giving my film a dunk in Photoflo for a few minutes, shake the water off while still on the reel and a wipe down with a Kimwipe. Once in one direction and then the other with a fresh wipe. Kimwipes won't scratch anything when damp.

There’s also a weird light/dark spot in the top-right of this shot:

Which doesn’t seem to be in any other frames.

Possible, but its probably just flare. Was it a bright day and the sun was a little to your right and above?

Also, you can see on all these shots, the edges of the frames appear to be slightly light. Is that a light leak in the camera? Was it a problem with development? Something else??

All these problems appear in the negatives, so I’m fairly certain they’re not scanning problems.

The light bits appear uniform on both sides of the image and falls off softly. Light leaks from the camera are usually much more distinct and you'd had to be pretty unlucky to have exactly the same leak on both sides. What you have there looks a lot like light leaks from the film not being tightly wound on the film roll; a "fat roll". When you're handling 120 film make sure it stays nice and tight on the spool or light will get in around the edges. When loading use your thumb or finger to put a bit of tension on the feed spool while winding on to the take up spool to start it off tight. Try to minimize the roll's exposure to light. I'll keep the wrapper when I load a new roll and stuff the roll back in when finished with it. Don't leave it sitting on the counter for a few days before developing a batch like I sometimes do with film in canisters.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 9, 2019

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Sauer posted:

Looks a lot like it. I've solved my streaking issues by giving my film a dunk in Photoflo for a few minutes, shake the water off while still on the reel and a wipe down with a Kimwipe. Once in one direction and then the other with a fresh wipe. Kimwipes won't scratch anything when damp.

Possible, but its probably just be flare. Was it a bright day and the sun was a little to your right and above?

The light bits appear uniform on both sides of the image and falls off softly. Light leaks from the camera are usually much more distinct and you'd had to be pretty unlucky to have exactly the same leak on both sides. What you have there looks a lot like light leaks from the film not being tightly wound on the film roll; a "fat roll". When you're handling 120 film make sure it stays nice and tight on the spool or light will get in around the edges. When loading use your thumb or finger to put a bit of tension on the feed spool while winding on to the take up spool to start it off tight. Try to minimize the roll's exposure to light. I'll keep the wrapper when I load a new roll and stuff the roll back in when finished with it. Don't leave it sitting on the counter for a few days before developing a batch like I sometimes do with film in canisters.

Thanks for all the tips! This was just a test roll to practice developing on, so I'm glad to know I didn't botch it up aside from the drying part, and even that was a relatively minor error on one frame. When you say that kimwipes won't scratch when damp, do you mean when the wipes are damp, when the film is, or both? Also good to know about the 120 roll tips, I'm still pretty new to MF so I'm leaning the best practices with them. I have a bunch more to develop which...I've been leaving on the counter like I do with 35mm...oops :suicide:

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Kimwipes won't scratch soft surfaces when damp. I don't wet them first, the moisture in the leader and trailer of the roll is enough to do the job. Learning experiences are fun; the first time I shot with my Yashica Mat and got to the end of the roll I popped it open immediately without continuing to wind it on until the roll was all wrapped up. Thankfully this was in the middle of the night in a lightless field but it was still a little butt puckering at the time.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I recently (last year) exposed light sensitive jello to light.

Untitled by Sauer, on Flickr

Without the border I find this image boring. With the border I find it pleasant. I'm probably projecting my own desire to find this image desirable on to the image. Regardless I'm going to make a print and hang it in my office at work to remind me that I could be hiking around this Parc instead of staring at CAM software.

Untitled by Sauer, on Flickr

The Kiev-60 I bought from a gentlemen on this forum came with a fisheye lens. I don't really "get" fisheye photography other than it being the only acceptable way to capture skaters. I really like the Kiev, after being serviced by Arax. The TTL viewfinder is a bit poo poo but its has a really good (like super good) waist level finder. If any of you have advice on using a fisheye to shoot something other than skateboarders I would appreciate it.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 9, 2019

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

A few more night time shots. Really digging roaming around at night, the colours are just wild.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Oh, man. Love this one.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Who knows where those 2 lines came from in the first show? Film!

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

they look like a camera strap hanging in front of the lens

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

polyester concept posted:

they look like a camera strap hanging in front of the lens

Well then, that'd be why I took 2 frames of that, but the second one without the shadows isn't framed as well.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Don’t let that shill fool you. It’s actually rods!

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

President Beep posted:

Don’t let that shill fool you. It’s actually rods!

That's just what Big Camera Strap wants you to believe. Please watch my 45 minute YouTube video where I explain how to use naturopathic ingredients to support your camera instead of cancer-forming lengths of leather and nylon.

Ramms+ein
Nov 11, 2003
Henshin-a-go-go, baby!
So I am a moron and shot a ton of Portra 400 and forgot that I had my ISO setting stuck between 100-200. When I send it off to be developed, will it come out fine if I tell them to develop it 1 Stop over exposure? The photos from my trip are in China during the winter so most of the days, the weather was overcast. I don't know if that makes a difference at all. Thanks!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Portra 400 is extremely flexible — a stop or two over isn’t a problem.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ramms+ein posted:

So I am a moron and shot a ton of Portra 400 and forgot that I had my ISO setting stuck between 100-200. When I send it off to be developed, will it come out fine if I tell them to develop it 1 Stop over exposure? The photos from my trip are in China during the winter so most of the days, the weather was overcast. I don't know if that makes a difference at all. Thanks!

To be safe I'd ask them specifically to push it one stop. I'm dumb and read your post wrong But yeah portra 400 is one of the most forgiving films:

If there's some extra cost for pushing film in dev at that place I would just leave it.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 12, 2019

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Don't tell them to push it, you over exposed. Pushing is leaving it in the juice longer to compensate for underexposure and expand a squashed tonal curve. If you're really concerned, ask them to pull a stop. You'll lose some contrast and saturation by doing this but it might rein in overly hot highlights. You'd also be fine just developing normally. Porta can suck up a lot of over exposure before things start looking weird. You'll get more saturated colours and if the weather was crappy most of the time you probably won't have blow highlights anyway.

I shot my last trip to Yukon on Porta 400 rated at 200 the entire time and developed normally. Had no trouble at all with the negatives.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 12, 2019

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So I got one of the C-41 kits from film photography project, and their instructions for timings don’t seem to mention the speed of the film, nor adjustments for different types of film. Is C-41 development just that streamlined, where you use the same development times for all films, regardless of type or speed? I've got some rolls of Portra 400, Fuji Superia 400, and Fuji Superia 1600 that I need to develop.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

In my experience, yeah. C41 is C41. I’ve developed film from ISO 160 to 800. Same times for everything.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
In general, you don't want to push or pull film development unless you specifically want the look of pushed film, or you *really* hosed up the metering (like by 4 stops or more). It's not like moving the exposure slider to the right in post, it has specific effects that you might not want. Because the negative is basically blank in the dark areas, there's nothing for the developer to work on when you push, this means that your dark areas are going to stay dark, you can't pull detail that doesn't exist out of shadows. Your midtones and your highlights however will be lighter. The effect will be a stronger contrast curve with deep blacks. You may also get some colour casts as well if you push it a lot, but those can be fixed in post unlike the shadow contrast.

If you pull the film to compensate for overexposure, you are (as Sauer said) going to lose a lot of contrast and some saturation. Most negative films have a lot of latitude for over exposure with Portra being particularly notable for it (you can still get usable images 5 or 6 stops over exposed). You might end up with noisy bright areas, but you can fix that with some carefully targeted noise reduction.

If you are shooting negative film and you are a stop or two out of whack, then you are probably fine unless the lighting is particularly janky. You can almost certainly fix whatever exposure issues exist in post.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

President Beep posted:

In my experience, yeah. C41 is C41. I’ve developed film from ISO 160 to 800. Same times for everything.

Neat! Is it okay to develop multiple different types of film at once? So like Portra 400 on one reel and Fuji 1600 on the other?

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
Yeah, i think the formulation of C-41 means that you can throw any film stock, and what ever box speed into the same chemistry to get developed with the same Developing times, since it would be inefficient to have to change up the developing times/temps/etc for every roll at a standard mini-lab

The Modern Sky fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 13, 2019

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
So, my EOS 300 has arrived, and looks to be in pretty much brand new condition. Bought it for $30AUD, which is pretty good for something to use as a beginners camera. Comes with the standard 28-80mm lens, which might need a bit of a clean as it seems to have a bit of dust or fungus on the lens.

I am looking to do street photography with this camera, which means I'd probably go for a different lens for that. I was thinking of the Canon 40mm STM as a good mid-ground between a 35mm and a 50mm lens, but I am wondering what kind of one you would probably recommend. There is also the option of getting a 24mm pancake lens, but I thought I would ask what the people here feel is one of the better options. I'm mainly looking to shoot in B&W, so lenses which can help with that would be great. I'd also really love to give night photography a go, but I don't have much of an idea of which lens would be best to achieve long exposure shots with. I have seen people online recommending zoom lenses, but I have no idea which one would be useful.

Any help people can give will be gratefully appreciated :)

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Pretty sure the 24mm STM won't work, as it's an EF-S mount lens, which is intended for crop sensor digital EOS bodies. I think you'll be limited to EF mount lenses only.

I've heard good things about the EF 40mm STM, but it's only f/2.8, which isn't especially fast. I'd opt for the 50mm f/1.8. Cheaper than the pancake 40mm and considerably faster.

e: I've just started using an A2E, and having a film body with modern autofocus and image stabilizatin--lens permitting--is very nice.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
After lots of uhm-ing and ahh-ing, I went for a reasonably priced 50mm STM, which I bought second hand. From the photos it looks to be in tip top condition, with minimal use.

I took your advice after reading more about the 40mm and the 50mm. Now I really like the 40mm, and think it would be a great lens, but I also want to do some night photography, and the 50mm works better in low light conditions, so I'll take the slightly less panoramic ability for street photography and get something which can achieve a lot of what I am looking to do.

Thanks for the advice, and I look forward to receiving my lens :)

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I have made a huge mistake.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Helen Highwater posted:

I have made a huge mistake.

Yeah, you should have gotten a Chamonix.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

So I bought a $20 lightbox off of eBay.

The moral of the story is don't buy a $20 lightbox off eBay.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

*Lite-Brite

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Yikes! Jesus christ.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

alkanphel posted:

Yeah, you should have gotten a Chamonix.

Dude from Facebook Marketplace was selling it for $100 with a Rodenstock 90mm f/4.5 lens, two spare lensboards, and 8 film holders. Doubt I'd get a Chamonix for that money.

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
A few weeks ago I posted asking for advice on shooting a 30 year old roll of Ilford FP4. I finally got around to scanning it and it came out better than I was expecting except for the backing paper bleeding through somehow on the fourth photo:

Shelves by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Orchid by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

url=https://flic.kr/p/2e918us]Shower Window[/url] by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Self Portrait by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Did you do anything special with it or just shot it at box speed and developed normally?

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
I followed the advice of Helen Highwater gave and shot it at 50 rather than 125 to compensate for the age of the film. I didn't do anything particularly special with development, just followed the timings for box speed FP4+ albeit with a more dilute developer than I usually use for a bit more latitude in timing.

Holistic Detective fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 18, 2019

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

That turned out way better than I was expecting.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Finally got around to shooting / developing a whole roll of Portra 400 on my new-to-me Minolta.

New camera who dis

I need to get used to the metering on this camera. My goats came out too dark.

These black bands happened on a few of my shots. Any idea what's going on here?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

What kind of Minolta? My x-700 started doing that a few frames per roll before crapping out entirely. I think a capacitor has died.

e: Sorry, missed part of your question. It’s a shutter curtain dragging.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
My Minolta X-700 does that too

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Yep, Minolta X-700. I might try a little dab of oil on the shutter curtain tracks. If it gets worse, I'll get a quote on a little professional TLC and compare that against another new body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012