Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Steve with an Armiger for scale. I went through 7 saw blades due to the amount of resin needed to trim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Taking inventory of all the various space marine stuff I have unintentionally acquired and trying to figure out how to make something useful out of it. I am thinking I should be able to put together a 1,000 point loaner / demo army for people to play and that'd be pretty cool to have around. (And in that kind of situation I don't have to worry too much about the relative inefficiencies of the pool lil' stunty marines)

A bunch of this stuff is from the dark vengeance set, so I'm looking at running them as dark angels, but is it correct that dark angels don't get access to the stormhawk?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Have some nice pink titans.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
I mostly (still have to do the rockets, minor details, and base) finished a big stompy thing.

Ask me about painting red without an airbrush :v:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Z the IVth posted:

Have some nice pink titans.

Holy poo poo, that's a striking color scheme. :dogcited: Nice job on the marble.

Giant Isopod posted:

Taking inventory of all the various space marine stuff I have unintentionally acquired and trying to figure out how to make something useful out of it. I am thinking I should be able to put together a 1,000 point loaner / demo army for people to play and that'd be pretty cool to have around. (And in that kind of situation I don't have to worry too much about the relative inefficiencies of the pool lil' stunty marines)

A bunch of this stuff is from the dark vengeance set, so I'm looking at running them as dark angels, but is it correct that dark angels don't get access to the stormhawk?
Correct, Dark Angels do not have access to the stormtalon or stormhawk. They have two unique flyers in their place, the dark talon and nephilim.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OhDearGodNo posted:

Steve with an Armiger for scale. I went through 7 saw blades due to the amount of resin needed to trim.

That's amazing. What model(s) is that?

(I really like all your kit bash models)

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Seldom Posts posted:

That's amazing. What model(s) is that?

(I really like all your kit bash models)

Thanks- this is a FW Gargantuan Squiggoth, still stock for now but I plan to put a mast and sail on the howdah.

That being said I did decide today to use a different set of engines for my battlewagon that look more orkish. It was a tossup in my head between the devil fish or the stormwolf (flipped)

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
"I was given a name by my peers while I led the Fourth. My foes may have named me as well, though I had little patience for them prior to this state and my temperament has not improved."

Non-fluff background: This dude is labeled "Zamok" as a tribute to my Grandfather. My marines have a Russian theme and my mother's maiden name meant castle, which is Zamok in Russian. My Grandfather is who got me into models as a kid. I wanted to have a tribute to him as a centerpiece model.

Fluff background: This Leviathan is inhabited by Zamok, one of the most legendary former captains of the Chapter. It's not terribly uncommon for marines who fall out of grace within the chapter to be given an unflattering name, to attempt to chide them into better behavior. Only four in the history of Ot Neba are known to have been given complimentary names while they served. The Chapter is effectively acknowledging that having them as a more visible influence is worth the risk of pride affecting their behavior.

Zamok is so named because his grasp of terrain and marrying field level maneuvers with fire support was effectively perfect. While others may have had flashier victories, his engagements were lauded as remarkably light in casualties. He was said to effectively be a living fortification. Famously cantankerous and tight lipped, Zamok led the fourth for a little less than a century before he was felled attempting to counter assault a Dark Eldar raid on a pleasure world. Zamok has merely been a member of the fourth since. His tactical and strategic acumen are still nearly as sharp -even after hundreds of years interred- but his sensory input and the ravages of a notoriously unpleasant chassis have dulled his leadership capabilities. He is one of only a few dreadnoughts interring former leaders still allowed to wear his former rank, though of course it is only symbolic.

Zamok is a living relic of the chapter and remains venerated, even though his company has fallen hard in the favor of the higher leadership in the years since his internment.

This guy also means I could field a 2000 point army if Nova were tomorrow, though this list would be hot garbage.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

OhDearGodNo posted:

That being said I did decide today to use a different set of engines for my battlewagon that look more orkish. It was a tossup in my head between the devil fish or the stormwolf (flipped)
Por que no los dos? Wouldn't it be perfectly Orky to have one of each? Or better yet, two of each?!

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Eifert Posting posted:

This guy also means I could field a 2000 point army if Nova were tomorrow, though this list would be hot garbage.

Yeah but it'd be fun and different.

Cool story about the Leviathan, too

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

xtothez posted:

It's odd that the Start Collecting box isn't out yet considering this is in the codex:

Start Collecting boxes always come out a few months after the book launch. The Deepkin in AoS got their book last April and just got their Start Collecting last week.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
I imagine the GSC start collecting box will be one of the higher priced ones. That’s around $160 of models in there.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Battle report: Imperial Guard vs Dark Elder

So I played my first game of 8th edition. The enemy was Xeno's - Dark elder. We found out afterwards he didn't have the up to date point values (I suggested he use Battlescribe next time, like I was), so it was 1500 of Guard vs only 1130 (he thought it was 1500!) of DE. We probably should have played with power points instead. Also, no obejctives - neither of us have played much and a straight battle was preferable.

The enemy started to deploy on my left flank, so I started by placing the DISTRACTION CONSCRIPTS on my left flank. It ended up with the entire enemy army deploying on the left and centre, and they all moved left- in an attempt to block the LOS of my armour on the right flank. With the DISTRACTION CONSCRIPTS with a priest was the two scout walkers and a squad of infantry. In the centre behind a ruin was a command squad with support weapons, another squad and the Griffin heavy mortar. On my right flank was Salamander scout tank, the Leman Russ, a tank commander in a Leman Russ Exterminator, a Hellhound, a Armoured Fist squad in a Chimera, 3 more squads and the company commander, commissar and his staff.

The battle started with the Xeno's all moving far left, with their bikes, bikes, flyers and sail barges leading. The DISTRACTION CONSCRIPTS advanced and the left flank fell back. The centre infantry advanced into the building ruins in front of them and the armour moved to a position to outflank the enemy. The infantry on the right advanced.

One of the enemy sail barges and an entire hoverbike squad was destroyed, to a cost of the scout walkers and only two DISTRACTION CONSCRIPTS. The Lacannons destroyed another sail barge too.

As the enemy advanced they spent a lot of time trying (eventually) to destroy the DISTRACTION CONSCRIPTS, attempting to stay out of LOS of my armour and losing more and more troops and skimmers. By the end of the battle (we had to call it after 3 turns because he had to leave) my left flank was annihilated, but only his warlord, 1 other command staff member, his damaged dreadnought, 1 squad of infantry and, one damaged flyer and 1 sail barge were left. I'd lost the DISTRACTION CONSCRIPTS, the priest, the lascannons, the Griffin, 1 squad and the Salamander had 1 wound left.

The Salamander was the star of the show, roaring straight through the enemy army, killing several of the enemy command staff in hand to hand combat(!) and coming out on the other side despite near the entire enemy army shooting it. This was helped by the fact that the Delder had few real anti tank guns apart from the sail barges, most of whom were destroyed by then.

4 of my squads did very little, as did my HQ. However, if the game had kept going I expected they would do more as the enemy units left came in to attack my armour. The Hellhound did nothing until the 3rd and last turn, when it single handed wiped out an entire squad of Dark Elder. The tanks and the Griffin did good damage as well. On of the infantry squads shot down a sail barge with max damage from a Krak Missile and Melta gun in one turn.

Thoughts:

I need more commanders - having the single company commander didn't do much. I should probably have a Platoon Commander with the DISTRACTION CONSCRIPTS.

I might get two units of DISTRACTION CONSCRIPTS. With a single Commissar to keep them in line. Once one unit is used up, he can move to the second one with the platoon Commander. What are good stratagems/orders to use them with? I used the "Never say die, roll a d3 for morale" but I'm note sure if there's a better one - probably improving their cover save (as the DElder had a lot of weapons that DID give me saves). Can I do both?

I used Armeggedon doctrine. It never helped with shooting, and I don't think made much difference with the infantry either. I should probably get a Cadian Armour detachment and get Commander Pask to lead them, though I fear that would make them very immobile. Armour that moves gets -1 with heavy weapons (except the main turret weapon), making them nigh useless with a 5+ needed to hit. How can I have armour that moves and still can hit something? The Armeggedon doctrine of re-rolling 1's never actually helped (bad luck I guess)

The heavy weapons in the squads did some damage (including rolling max damage in one turn to kill a sail barge) but I'm still not sure they are worth it. Moving at -1 to shoot makes them pretty immobile, but the heavy weapon squads die as soon as the enemy has LOS on them.

How does everyone keep track of wounds? Using dice seems an invitation to disaster by knocking them/using them by accident. I think I'll just print out a copy of the army list each time and writing it down on paper (which is how I did it this time).

What can I do to make the Salamander a bigger distraction/live longer? I'm thinking of adding a Storm Bolter on it- is that any stratagems I can use to help it survive a bit longer?

Moving 80+ figures a turn reinforces me to to use Mordian doctrine and have movement templates instead for the infantry.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Mar 10, 2019

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Orders are Guard's gimmick and can turn a crappy 4 point model into a nightmare tailored for whatever situation. With that in mind, get more company commanders and don't use conscripts. They've been FAQ'd into the ground and cost exactly the same as your Infantry squads that have better skills, better leadership and don't fail orders half the time. Unless you use the stratagem to mob them up then only ten of them can ever die at once to one unit shooting at them too. More squads will also let you control more of the board and hold more objectives. I use Cadian for my infantry and armor but nobody gives a gently caress what your guys look like as long as you're clear at the start of the game which models are running which doctrine.

You've figured out the problem with HWS and that's half the reason mortars are nearly always taken: they can stay out of LOS. They're also terrifyingly points efficient and with orders get even better. Your other heavy weapons can be hidden in infantry squads but you're trading protection for diluting your firepower and order efficiency. Plus you're stuck either holding the squad back so the heavy can shoot or moving it and copping -1 to hit. It's disappointing for foot sloggers but the most survivable place for Guard heavy weapons is on a Leman Russ, which thankfully just happens to be one of the best tanks in the game.

If you're positioned well and don't need to move Cadia and Catachan are best for your Russes with auto reroll ones to hit or reroll random number of shots respectively. Worth noting that the Cadian order lets their tanks reroll random hits but only for their turret weapons. If you want to be more mobile then Tallarn is the choice for you as their tanks get to ignore the -1 to hit for moving, their order lets you move again either before or after you shoot and their stratagem lets you outflank with a single tank. Also consider running 3 Tank Commanders in a Supreme Command detachment instead of regular Russes. The upgrade is really low cost and you get a better BS and each one can order themselves all game.

I keep track of wounds and morale checks with different colored dice. My normal D6s are white or blue, morale casualties are small yellow dice, and wounds are a set of red D6s,10s and 12s. Command Points are poker chips.

Also consider playing your Griffon as a counts-as Wyvern. I would dearly love to use mine but paying over 80 points for D6 S6 shots is garbage :(

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Mar 10, 2019

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Eifert Posting posted:

"I was given a name by my peers while I led the Fourth. My foes may have named me as well, though I had little patience for them prior to this state and my temperament has not improved."

This dude looks great! Love the way the army looks, and the leviathan fluff is awesome. Keep posting great stuff.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Giant Isopod posted:

I’m just getting back into collecting and already will have a few extras that I won’t need (Iron Hands pauldrons, namely). I was thinking about gauging interest in an homor-code, from-goon-to-goon bitz exchange system.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

adamantium|wang posted:

The upgrade is really low cost and you get a better BS and each one can order themselves all game.

Can command tanks order themselves? I thought it wasn’t clear, or maybe that was only for Pask or maybe it actually was FAQ’ed?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Schadenboner posted:

Can command tanks order themselves? I thought it wasn’t clear, or maybe that was only for Pask or maybe it actually was FAQ’ed?

They can't, but two Tank Commanders can order each other just fine.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Strobe posted:

Ah, that makes more sense and I see what they meant now.

:tipshat:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
General community question. So far my experience has been the huge majority of games in my area are organized in a Facebook group in advance. People show up, play their game then leave. Is this a new fangled kids normal thing or just the way this area is? There's not much actual gaming community in the area, just a series of Facebook messages and then mostly empty stores and it's kind of depressing my desire to play.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

bird food bathtub posted:

General community question. So far my experience has been the huge majority of games in my area are organized in a Facebook group in advance. People show up, play their game then leave. Is this a new fangled kids normal thing or just the way this area is? There's not much actual gaming community in the area, just a series of Facebook messages and then mostly empty stores and it's kind of depressing my desire to play.

Different communities do things in different ways. Most of my games are arranged through Discord.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

It used to be somewhat like this in my area - but we spent a lot of time running events and things to build it up. Now it's a pretty thriving community for 40k.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

I absolutely love how unique this army is though. The Color scheme and the skill with which it was painted is impressive.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Strobe posted:

Wat

They're a friendly Leman Russ and they're in range of themselves. Why wouldn't they be able to order themselves?

E: just like a model is always within range of its own aura effect

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 10, 2019

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
FLGs here have discord’s and there’s a pretty good online community where people chat on there. Also most of the FLGs are based around hobbies and gaming in general so they are always populated but not necessarily with 40k.

Pretty much always some variant of MTG going

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Apr 8, 2020

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.

Conan the Librarian posted:

Feeling kinda dumb having to ask this but is there a Something Awful 40K Discord? I didn't see one in the OP and I'm hoping to find a goon to split Shadowspear with. Anybody in the thread looking for the Chaos half?

I am also looking for the Discord info. I waited a few days to see if anyone would respond to you but nothing yet. I did some forum digging and the best I found were some out of date invites and some drama posts about it turning from a Traditional Games discord to someones private clubhouse Discord so that might explain why nobody is posting a link. :shrug:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

adamantium|wang posted:

Wat

They're a friendly Leman Russ and they're in range of themselves. Why wouldn't they be able to order themselves?

E: just like a model is always within range of its own aura effect

For some reason I have the distinct memory of reading that in a FAQ somewhere (that a model can't order itself) but I'm completely unable to find it now. :v:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Did someone post the picture of the marine with the wrist computer projecting a HUD/Hologram that was an old Epic guy here? I'm trying to find that to figure out if they just had the whole guy glued on or if they cut at a bias to have a better projector effect.

E: Here we go:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 10, 2019

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Strobe posted:

For some reason I have the distinct memory of reading that in a FAQ somewhere (that a model can't order itself) but I'm completely unable to find it now. :v:

I think that was back in the Index FAQ which then disappeared without a trace when the Codex came out.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

crazystray posted:

I am also looking for the Discord info. I waited a few days to see if anyone would respond to you but nothing yet. I did some forum digging and the best I found were some out of date invites and some drama posts about it turning from a Traditional Games discord to someones private clubhouse Discord so that might explain why nobody is posting a link. :shrug:

I'm not aware of an official SA 40K Discord. There's one that Corrode and Booley run but I don't know how often they pay attention to this thread anymore. PM them.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
The Tank Commander rule from the index said that it can't issue orders to a CHARACTER, which includes itself. The dropped that line in the codex.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

I don't understand this gripe. I've been in both types of communities. Going to a store and just waiting, hoping someone shows up to play is a complete waste of time. The community *is* on facebook, it thrives there. If it wasn't for facebook, I would have never found the local communities for 40k, AoS, Infinity, Warmachine, etc. You just find Game X local FB group, join, and post asking for a game. It's fabulous. Lots of stores typically have a night dedicated to Game X, and between all the stores you can easily play your favorite game 3+ times a week.

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm not aware of an official SA 40K Discord. There's one that Corrode and Booley run but I don't know how often they pay attention to this thread anymore. PM them.

Got it, thanks for the explanation. I won't bug them if it's not open/official.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

crazystray posted:

Got it, thanks for the explanation. I won't bug them if it's not open/official.

PM away. It's a good group.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Schadenboner posted:

Did someone post the picture of the marine with the wrist computer projecting a HUD/Hologram that was an old Epic guy here? I'm trying to find that to figure out if they just had the whole guy glued on or if they cut at a bias to have a better projector effect.

E: Here we go:

God drat that's adorable. I can only see it as a tiny terminator familiar perched on his wrist though.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Deified Data posted:

God drat that's adorable. I can only see it as a tiny terminator familiar perched on his wrist though.

I kinda dig the Maori (?) thing the tac squad symbol has going on as well.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
It’s a space shark marine, so Maori symbols are their thing.

Actually I don’t know if they really are or that one amazing space shark army with all the Maori imagery bulled it’s way into canon.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Badablack posted:

It’s a space shark marine, so Maori symbols are their thing.

Actually I don’t know if they really are or that one amazing space shark army with all the Maori imagery bulled it’s way into canon.

They were depicted in one of the Imperial Armour book with Polynesian iconography, I'm not sure if that was the first (or only) instance, but it's definitely a canon 'thing'.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
2019 chapter challenge dude is doneeeeee:

quote:

“During M42, The Custiam Capitis or The Head Guard in low gothic, chapter operated not as a cohesive whole but rather small detachments of ten to twenty Astartes. These detachments were sent by Roboute Guilliman himself to guard and provide support to key Imperial figures. The above marine, Lucius Aelius was detached to the Swords of Davion to assist their Primus Astartes integrating into the chapter.

Capitis squads have saved many lives, especially those in the Imperium Nilius, however there are some reports that they serve a more sinister role of Guilliman’s spies or leashing the opinions of those that would go against his wishes.”

More words here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Chiwie posted:

2019 chapter challenge dude is doneeeeee:

Very cool fluff and awesome paint job, good post