Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
V's location is two things - where you can actually get hurt, and the position you can recall your summons to. You can forward + cane right into an enemy, beat them up, and use the insane griffon back dodge to peace out if things go south. Also, shadow's stinger doesn't knock enemies out of range, meaning you can start with that to position him.

You CAN play super passively, just like you can sit around just shooting people with Nero and Dante, and V's optimal range is definitely not as close, but you still want to be aggressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

True, though I do still wish there was an option to switch between arms with the d-pad. THE COMBO VIDEOS, MAN.

As convenient as that would've been you'd have people just calling him a weaker Dante. They want you to run through those things if you want the big bucks (style).
That's why they're all so dang cheap relatively and you can stack them how you want! Well, except the Buster Arm isn't that cheap. Except you will NEVER HAVE TO BUY THEM AGAIN once you beat the game so that is kind of hilarious and fitting.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

dark souls veteran
somehow doesn’t understand invincibility frames
:ok:

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Zaa Boogie posted:

As convenient as that would've been you'd have people just calling him a weaker Dante. They want you to run through those things if you want the big bucks (style).
That's why they're all so dang cheap relatively and you can stack them how you want! Well, except the Buster Arm isn't that cheap. Except you will NEVER HAVE TO BUY THEM AGAIN once you beat the game so that is kind of hilarious and fitting.

buster arm does a LOT more damage than devil buster

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm struggling to find a good control scheme where i can 1) keep lock-on held down, 2) keep the shooting button held down, 3)dodge and poo poo and 4) all the other stuff. I might have one i like now, but my muscle memory is all wonky from how i had been playing the game so far. I just got wreaked by a bunch of mooks because i kept hitting the wrong drat buttons.

So, before i commit to this layout and just learn it: anyone have any super slick button configs for controller they feel like sharing?

Oh, and when i first saw V i wasn't really looking forward to playing as him but,

https://twitter.com/4ri0ch668/status/1104599435265204224

He's the worst, i love him. :allears:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Zaa Boogie posted:

If they're supposed to be super cheap and therefore expendable, I think making them cost orbs at all was a mistake. Obsessively holding onto consumables out of some misguided sense of "value" is a pretty common mindset for players, so if they really wanted people to go to town with the arms (which I assume they do) they could've just made them restock at the shop for free.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

pissdude posted:

buster arm does a LOT more damage than devil buster

Makes sense, but then you can't synergize with another buster arm. That does make it more worth having around though. Good to know!

Clarste posted:

If they're supposed to be super cheap and therefore expendable, I think making them cost orbs at all was a mistake. Obsessively holding onto consumables out of some misguided sense of "value" is a pretty common mindset for players, so if they really wanted people to go to town with the arms (which I assume they do) they could've just made them restock at the shop for free.

Oh, believe me, I know how that is because I regularly do it myself, ha.

But I feel like you can either always cater to this mindset or go all in and make a character how you think will be interesting. And even if I'm a hoarder I'd rather for the latter personally.

Zaa Boogie fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 10, 2019

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

a kitten posted:

I'm struggling to find a good control scheme where i can 1) keep lock-on held down, 2) keep the shooting button held down, 3)dodge and poo poo and 4) all the other stuff. I might have one i like now, but my muscle memory is all wonky from how i had been playing the game so far. I just got wreaked by a bunch of mooks because i kept hitting the wrong drat buttons.

So, before i commit to this layout and just learn it: anyone have any super slick button configs for controller they feel like sharing?

Oh, and when i first saw V i wasn't really looking forward to playing as him but,

https://twitter.com/4ri0ch668/status/1104599435265204224

He's the worst, i love him. :allears:

This may not work for you but I place some of the buttons I want easy access to without comprimising how I hit face buttons. So I do stuff like put Griffon on left trigger/L2 so I have my left hand working the bird and the right handling shadow. When I play Nero I put his gun on R2/RT because I want easy charging while still being able to hammer exceed and regular attacks just fine. I find the only character i prefer default layout is dante due to 15+ years of playing the character with that layout and it feel good for him tbh.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

a kitten posted:

Shoot/Griffon on RT, melee/Shadow on X, weapon swap/nightmare on Y, change gun/read book on LT. No real conflicts, since this dedicates a finger to each button you want to hold while pressing other buttons. If you don't like RT to shoot, you can swap it with your target lock on RB.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 10, 2019

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i was all about having nero's gun on a trigger for 4 but in this one it doesn't feel necessary anymore. which is great because it loving killed my hands

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Augus posted:

dark souls veteran
somehow doesn’t understand invincibility frames
:ok:

He only knows how to backroll

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Clarste posted:

I actually think the game strikes a good balance. Having them cost orbs, but not so much that they're prohibitively expensive to replace, encourages the right mindset - these things are meant to be used, but not wasted. When to Break Away and when to pop your Break Age are meant to be meaningful choices, but choices you're still supposed to make to keep your style ranks up or get out of damage. On your first playthrough, the main thing that makes Nero mechanically interesting is his Devil Breakers and blowing them up.

Even if you're the type of person who prefers a single DB - say, Gerbera - there's nothing to stop you from just slapping 8 slots full of them and going to work, breaking them as needed. As it exists now I think the DB system is implemented about as well as you could ask for.

Of course the terrible secret of DMC5 is that the DBs are so cheap to replace they may as well be free, since the game throws so many red orbs at you? Or maybe some kind of system to allow you to save a loadout, and upon mission completion it just automatically deducts the red orbs it would cost to replace the DBs you broke and then refills them, preserving the original order you saved.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Oops I forgot the L1 break away move was even a thing lmao

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

lets hang out posted:

i was all about having nero's gun on a trigger for 4 but in this one it doesn't feel necessary anymore. which is great because it loving killed my hands

You should probably fix that. Nero can buy his old charge shot back in the post game.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

K8.0 posted:

Shoot/Griffon on RT, melee/Shadow on X, weapon swap/nightmare on Y, change gun/read book on LT. No real conflicts, since this dedicates a finger to each button you want to hold while pressing other buttons. If you don't like RT to shoot, you can swap it with your target lock on RB.

Oh that seems even better than the one i had just come up with. And baal made me consider not trying to map everything one-to-one somehow. Thanks!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

Oops I forgot the L1 break away move was even a thing lmao

I didn't because I always accidentally mash it and waste a breaker

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

guts and bolts posted:

I actually think the game strikes a good balance. Having them cost orbs, but not so much that they're prohibitively expensive to replace, encourages the right mindset - these things are meant to be used, but not wasted. When to Break Away and when to pop your Break Age are meant to be meaningful choices, but choices you're still supposed to make to keep your style ranks up or get out of damage. On your first playthrough, the main thing that makes Nero mechanically interesting is his Devil Breakers and blowing them up.

Even if you're the type of person who prefers a single DB - say, Gerbera - there's nothing to stop you from just slapping 8 slots full of them and going to work, breaking them as needed. As it exists now I think the DB system is implemented about as well as you could ask for.

Of course the terrible secret of DMC5 is that the DBs are so cheap to replace they may as well be free, since the game throws so many red orbs at you? Or maybe some kind of system to allow you to save a loadout, and upon mission completion it just automatically deducts the red orbs it would cost to replace the DBs you broke and then refills them, preserving the original order you saved.

I think the thing to remember is that starting out the game chucks orbs at you but not at a rate that you *can* just buy devil breakers willy nilly beause you still have skills/blue orbs/purple orbs to buy at the same time. So that's the balance act you're doing. It's not until later when you're more free with them that it becomes a bit superfluous but that's the end game feel.

Also seeing people talking about button configs I'm just glad I didn't have to change mine.

Got an elite controller so I set the back paddles to Shoot, Lock on, Jump and Taunt and maaaaaaaan you guys? I will not be going back because it feels *fantastic*. I can attack and hit exceed, jump while holding down attack, taunt without having to let go of the left stick and always be locked on if I want? It's SO GOOD YA'LL

Zaa Boogie fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 10, 2019

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I wanna play thru Human to get an easy farming spot for Red Orbs and Nero's DT not being on LB is making me waste all my Breakers.

Dias fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 10, 2019

acksplode
May 17, 2004

For Nero I put breakaway on triangle, sword on square, gun on L1, and exceed on dpad, defaults for the rest. This allows me to lock on while charging gun and using exceed all at once. I'm digging it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I put breakaway on the d-pad so there's no chance of me accidentally hitting it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think Square to shoot might actually be a perfectly good way to play Nero now? You don't need to keep the shoot button held down all the time anymore, since Nero stores 3 charge shots now. You can let go of the shoot button without wasting a bullet pretty easily by just sliding your thumb over to triangle so that the attack animation takes priority

With V though putting Griffon on a trigger is probably mandatory lol

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
What kind of hardware does it take to run this at 2160p60?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Augus posted:

I think Square to shoot might actually be a perfectly good way to play Nero now? You don't need to keep the shoot button held down all the time anymore, since Nero stores 3 charge shots now. You can let go of the shoot button without wasting a bullet pretty easily by just sliding your thumb over to triangle so that the attack animation takes priority

Later on Blue Rose gets an upgrade that returns its DMC4 functionality.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I still think rebounding gun to a trigger is a good idea. It allows you to reload while still being able to attack.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

Later on Blue Rose gets an upgrade that returns its DMC4 functionality.

oh well rip

by the way, I saw Dante's "Is it halloween already?" quip being pointed out by some reviewer as a cliched joke to throw at a big, ugly boss, but they're wrong because it actually wraps back around to being clever once it's revealed a few minutes later that he immediately knew that Cavalier was Trish as soon as he saw it and that's why he was treating Cavalier like an old buddy playing dress-up

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 10, 2019

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Yo, we heard you liked EX-Act so now you can "EX-Act" while you EX-Act.
Buckle up, chump.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I like the default controls and I don’t have a desire in being some hyper xxxtreme dmc expert so I’m glad this game is pretty open to different gameplay styles.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Augus posted:

oh well rip

by the way, I saw Dante's "Is it halloween already?" quip being pointed out by some reviewer as a cliched joke to throw at a big, ugly boss, but they're wrong because it actually wraps back around to being clever once it's revealed a few minutes later that he immediately knew that Cavalier was Trish as soon as he saw it and that's why he was treating Cavalier like an old buddy playing dress-up

How in the world does someone miss that? He spends literally the entire fight talking about how he recognizes them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mr. Neutron posted:

Digital Foundry doesn't have a PC guide for DMCV yet but as far as I can tell the performance is just about identical to Capcom's solid port of RE2. It runs on the same engine and appears to hit similar benchmarks on the same hardware.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mr. Neutron posted:

The game runs on the new RE Engine (RE2 Remake, RE7) so it's optimized like a dream, thankfully. I have played it at that res/fps on two different computers, here are my specs:

ASRock X470 Taichi
EVGA Nvidia GTX 1070
AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
32GB DDR4 RAM

Alternatively, my previous system:

MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon
EVGA Nvidia GTX 1070
Intel i7 7700k
16GB DDR4 RAM

I imagine you probably could skirt by at that high of a resolution with a GTX 1060 and an intel 6600k but just barely. Basically, anything from this generation of PC hardware or the previous one will run this game with performance like nobody's business.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CJacobs posted:

The one thing I still don't get about V is how to manually reposition the kitty. It seems like if you let off the buttons for a moment it'll sink into a sludge puddle and then pop out near the enemies, but only sometimes. Also they sometimes just teleport back to V's side and I could never figure out what I was doing to make that happen, it was pretty annoying because it happened almost every time I did the bird's AOE burst and just harmlessly executed it on top of myself.

that move specifically calls griffon back to you first

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Pomp posted:

that move specifically calls griffon back to you first

I've managed to do it several times without that happening, so I dunno man. I just can't get it to do it consistently. :shrug:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

CJacobs posted:

I've managed to do it several times without that happening, so I dunno man. I just can't get it to do it consistently. :shrug:

You might've held him in a charge state and then moved elsewhere before he discharged? It's even in the move's description that it teleports griffon to your position. I think the idea is that it's an oh-poo poo move for when enemies get close to V

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

so far the one thing I have disliked in the 9 missions I've played thus far is that the game throws not 1 but 2 "you're supposed to lose" fights at you. I know technically I think you can beat one but throwing the other one at me I was like ok just make this a cutscene instead.

Also there was one mission where I thought equipping the like 3 Buster Arms would be fun and then it turned out the mission was just one big boss with no enemies to use the arm on, whoops. I think Buster and Rawhide are the only ones so far I haven't actually gotten to use; Gerbera, Overture, Mega Buster, and Tomboy pop up in levels most often for me.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

How in the world does someone miss that? He spends literally the entire fight talking about how he recognizes them.

I missed that but I'm also incredibly dumb. So there's that.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I only played 4, so I figured it was another "hey remember THIS enemy from previous games!!" thing.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

aegof posted:

I only played 4, so I figured it was another "hey remember THIS enemy from previous games!!" thing.

There's a few from previous games - in round-about ways. Pretty nice surprise to see some of them.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
in mission 8, how do you get the goodies on the other side of the sinking platforms? just kill the baddies before it falls down?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

in mission 8, how do you get the goodies on the other side of the sinking platforms? just kill the baddies before it falls down?

Or Gerbera across the gaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Or Gerbera across the gaps.

tried that and it didn't work. guess i need to time it better