Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Agean90 posted:

FOR MONTHS YOU HAVE BEEN ASKING, WHO IS ANDREW YANG?

Speaking of... who the hell is Andrew Yang anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
i will never ever get tired of these smug morons

https://twitter.com/dustinhorne/status/1104799457919598594?s=19

:smuggo:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Holy poo poo, even that Google douche's memo wasn't that blatantly r/thedonald-eque.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

"i am a moderate, but not a centrist" said the centrist

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/GamerTakes/status/1104192681859784705

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

IDGI

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Open the image in the tweet. Twitter cuts off the reply

Tokamak posted:

These days they will let anybody in if an MP is advocating for them.

Maybe one day they'll elect an MP who advocates for refugees.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Good take on the meme shift imo

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Treating people like poo poo has become too mainstream, the only way to be edgy is to agitate for treating people better. The reverse horseshoe.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
the altright: a contradictory diaspora of internet weirdos

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Maximo Roboto posted:

Good take on the meme shift imo

I liked the recommended link:

https://imgur.com/gallery/aSyXs29

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

jobson groeth posted:

Treating people like poo poo has become too mainstream, the only way to be edgy is to agitate for treating people better. The reverse horseshoe.

This but unironically, being decent to people and demanding others do the same is genuinely transgressive in this hell world

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Oh hey here's the nazis' fave Fox News personality spending an hour a week from 2006-2011 talking about Bubba the Love Sponge about statutory rape, arranged marriages between adults and teenagers, and other various standard-issue nazi misogny.

Necro-tron
Jan 12, 2003

Ugh, Bubba the Love Sponge. There was a brief period in 2009 when the only alternative rock radio station in South Florida licensed to air his Tampa-based morning show and I was stuck listening to it on the way to work in between switching out metal cds. The only thing remotely enjoyable was finding out that his zoo had the dude that did the redneck prank calls my roommates kept playing during college, but even that wasn't enough to make his show bearable. That show was such dreck that when the radio station did a Airheads-style format switch to easy listening it was one of the greatest things to happen in radio history down here. Yeah, we had a market void on the radio but god drat they brought it upon themselves.

I find it absolutely unsurprising that Tucker was on Bubba. Same damned audience.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Reclines Obesily posted:

funny seeing the usual alt right meme aesthetics transfer over to yang

wojack
hats
vehicles
80s

hosed up that Nazis appropriate the vaporwave aesthetic, which was made by a lot of LGBT and PoC people. Floral Shoppe, the big album that really popularized the genre, was made by a trans woman, for example.

It's still funny that this is driving the Trump fans on 4chan nuts, though, even if they'll just vote for Republicans (if they vote at all) once Yang gets immediately eliminated.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I am all for electing Yang for no other reason than it will bring humanity one step closer to being devourer by mindworms, the fate we deserve for how we have treated Planet.

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

I am all for electing Yang for no other reason than it will bring humanity one step closer to being devourer by mindworms, the fate we deserve for how we have treated Planet.

this is what makes me laugh, considering what Chairman Yang was all about, that they invoke him for this Yang.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

That's actually the reason why a lot of alt-righters are unironically supporting him, from NEET meme makers to social media thought leaders like Richard Spencer and Roosh. They view Trump as a failed experiment and have gone accelerationist and are content with free money

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

If they want to be drones does that mean we can get them nerve stapled?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

SirSamVimes posted:

If they want to be drones does that mean we can get them nerve stapled?

I don't honestly know exactly what nerve stapling does.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Zeroisanumber posted:

If I recall correctly the game never actually tells you. It's just a Bad Thing that you can do to your populace.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zeroisanumber posted:

yeah if it was ever explained it would have been in the novel, the game has basically 0 unless there's some building's or tech's flavor about it being related to the Punishment Sphere and if so I can't point you to it (not related to the Genejack Factory, those are actual genetically engineered burly subhumans)

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

SirSamVimes posted:

If I recall correctly the game never actually tells you. It's just a Bad Thing that you can do to your populace.

I always liked that for as much storytelling and world building as the game did, it trusted the player enough that it didn't feel it had to fill in every last blank and could leave some details to your imagination, where they were likely to be more vivid anyway.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Zeroisanumber posted:

It is when you use micro needles to electrocute someone's nervous system. It is the worst pain a person endures, but it doesn't cause any physical damage. So it is an effective torture device and and means to quell dissent. It is treated as a minor crime against humanity (along with nerve gas), which carries a punishment of 10 years of economic sanctions.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

hosed up that Nazis appropriate the vaporwave aesthetic, which was made by a lot of LGBT and PoC people. Floral Shoppe, the big album that really popularized the genre, was made by a trans woman, for example.

I realized recently that vaporwave can basically be described as a new iteration of kitsch appreciation or camp. I'm not sure how to properly contextualize the Nazi obsession with it though, it seems trite to just say they're all repressed.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

sleeptalker posted:

I realized recently that vaporwave can basically be described as a new iteration of kitsch appreciation or camp. I'm not sure how to properly contextualize the Nazi obsession with it though, it seems trite to just say they're all repressed.

Nostalgic romanticism?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/antifa_ne/status/1104920853958066176

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

Nostalgic romanticism?

I know the term is used more broadly, but literary romanticism arguably has a similarly queer undercurrent. Lord Byron and Hans Christian Andersen are pretty well attested for example. I might be reaching a bit though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

sleeptalker posted:

I know the term is used more broadly, but literary romanticism arguably has a similarly queer undercurrent. Lord Byron and Hans Christian Andersen are pretty well attested for example. I might be reaching a bit though.

So does fascism, though.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

sleeptalker posted:

Most of the original Nazis were also sentimental, kitsch-loving twats.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

sleeptalker posted:

Vaporwave sounds vaguely like older (like 90's) anime music, which was itself inspired by 80's pop/R&B.
Internet nazis are weeaboos.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Grape posted:

Vaporwave sounds vaguely like older (like 90's) anime music, which was itself inspired by 80's pop/R&B.

Ah, now I understand.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Kherman112/status/1104995323179495424
https://twitter.com/Kherman112/status/1104998605281157120

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqnU_sJ8V-E

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 08:13 on Mar 11, 2019

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Zeroisanumber posted:

Most of the original Nazis were also sentimental, kitsch-loving twats.

Grape posted:

also its meme poo poo and alt right guys who you see online love meme poo poo

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

this kicks rear end lol

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

The icing on the cake in this post is that I can't play the yt clip because it's not available in my country.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Uh Vaporwave has been really popular for a while now. Just like, in general. In fact it's kinda starting to fade as a fad, so I think it's less "alt-right loves Vaporwave" and more "boomers/basement-dwellers are loving late to the party".

KillerQueen has issued a correction as of 12:36 on Mar 11, 2019

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Grape posted:

Some straight up is both, like the Wowser OP which was a 80's pop song being adapted to a Yung Bae track named Fly Away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/egoldmanrevolt/status/1104866989074341888?s=21