Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Zmej posted:

I love how after 24 hours people (reddit) make up their opinion about a league mechanic built for 3 months lol

I mean can you refute my argument? Why would I interact with the league mechanic while levelling? I play roughly 8 alts per league, and this is looking grimmer than Essence or Prophecy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elerion
May 31, 2011
I think the new skills are cool, so I really want to enjoy the league. However, there’s just so much accumulated bullshit boring gatekeeping in the game now. I hit maps this morning and my eyes just glazed over when I looked at the tasks ahead:

Everything about Synthesis aside from running the in-map memories seems like a giant pain in the rear end. The nexus is a buggy mess with poor mechanics, and fractured/synthesised items seem to be extremely unrewarding compared to all the inventory management they require

For the second league in a row, I need to alt tab to a spreadsheet every Betrayal encounter so I can put everyone in the right gang, otherwise I’m losing out on a ton of currency. That was barely tolerable when it was the league mechanic because you interacted enough with it to internalise it eventually. Now it’s just bad design.

Also for the second league in a row, I need to pick up a million veiled rares and tell Jun to identify them. None of those rares will be useful aside from teaching you the recipe. Combined with the fractured rares, this causes sooo much micromanagement of inventory. They really should have killed that mechanic and made the recipes into drops.

Then for the third league in a row, I need to run underlevelled delves for hours to get down to a relevant monster level. I have no idea why that is still a thing.

And of course, there’s map progression, but that’s never bothered me too much. At least I get to kill things of a relevant level instead of playing inventory tetris and alt tabbing to spreadsheets.

At least the atlas progression is shaken up a bit by the new atlas

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zmej posted:

I love how after 24 hours people (reddit) make up their opinion about a league mechanic built for 3 months lol

Not everyone is gonna play for 3 months and the mechanic feedback is pretty quick, which is as soon as you start the game. You might need more than a few days to figure out the intricacies of the system or its long-term impact or the math behind it but you shouldn't take longer than the time it takes to beat entire other games to figure out if you like or not the league gimmick.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Can I get an invite on "Klup" if there's room, please?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Looking for invite as "Sharia_Lawyer" please.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I mean can you refute my argument? Why would I interact with the league mechanic while levelling? I play roughly 8 alts per league, and this is looking grimmer than Essence or Prophecy.

To pile on, there's basically zero reward for chasing a 10-link path down for a 5-6 synthesized weapon chest. Most of the chests don't even drop synthesized stuff, and the stuff they do drop are worthless rares whose only value is for crafting or a random slot pull at more almost-entirely-garbage items

I have no visible progression towards "cool things" like I could in delve

I have no really rewarding rooms to unlock like in Incursion

There will 100% be a big buff to Synthesis exploring rewards at some point soon, I'm guessing next week

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

This league is good for the holy lasers but I don't really care about memory man no matter how many times he guilt trips me with "That's...that's okay, Exile, I didn't really need the memory of my eighth birthday. It's fine.

I SAID IT'S FINE"

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The synthesis rewards are the friends we made along the way.

By which I mean, watch ZiggyD's video about how to get insane drops from the travel nodes.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Zmej posted:

I mean I dunno, as a newer player I definitely feel like Synthesis is less fun than Delve. I'd say it's about par with Incursion for me, I'll do it and it's neat but I wouldn't do it instead of mapping. Comparatively, I would totally just Delve forever if it was considered equal to mapping rather than a side activity.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

What's Delve and how do I get to do it?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Qwertycoatl posted:

The synthesis rewards are the friends we made along the way.

By which I mean, watch ZiggyD's video about how to get insane drops from the travel nodes.

be warned this poo poo only works after you've explored the area around your destinations and found the fixed nodes

see, if you find a new fixed node on the way it can block your meticulously plotted path and leave you cut off

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
It seems like the optimal way to use the memory mods is to create a long highway sticking out one way and then beeline memory mods the other three directions, ignoring most of the reward nodes, because they're hot garbage. I had a 6 modifier 6-8 chest reward node. Got 8 chests. Not a single drop from them got through my loot filter, so I figured it was bugged and hit alt. Nothing. All garbage rares. Then I did my longass path to nowhere with 6 mods on all of them and whatcha know, much better stuff.

It's the tedium of it all that gets to me. Between the tedium and the surprising number of bugs I've run into, I'm way less enthused about Synthesis than I thought I would be.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Draxion posted:

Talk to Niko in act 4

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Draxion posted:

infinite dungeon mine. Starting in act 4 you can get zones containing yellow rocks. Click them for fuel. Talk to the miner guy to port to the mine, use fuel to dig down and get loot and blue rocks, that you can use for mine upgrades. Also, the darkness will eat you.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
They really need to take a break from leagues requiring a management simulator sort of interface. They've had that pedal pressed to the floor since at least Bestiary and it's really wearing thin for me, especially since a bunch of those are now core.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Wave of conviction feels a whole lot better when you pick a lot of aoe nodes and mapping with it feels pretty good with the characteristic hitch of all your heralds blowing poo poo up. I feel like the new intensity support is made for a spell like this since you gain so much area and can just ramp it up before a boss transitions to own them.

I made some terrible decisions hoping that the staff nodes unholy might passive would trigger more often but it barely does even after investing a bunch of points into more block. I'm speccing out of those and using the flat phys on that wheel instead.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
I do enjoy planning routes and paths to take so that a memory modifier will hit 15+ pieces at once. That feels good.

What doesn't feel good is doing the above, starting to run through it, and having a new memory modifier/reward node spawn on top of one of my planned nodes, breaking the entire plan I had and making what I just invested in worthless.

At least I'm having a blast stacking virulence with Storm Burst. This skill is ridiculous for hitting 40 stacks.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

docbeard posted:

This league is good for the holy lasers but I don't really care about memory man no matter how many times he guilt trips me with "That's...that's okay, Exile, I didn't really need the memory of my eighth birthday. It's fine.

I SAID IT'S FINE"

I started liking Cavas when I entered a memory where he tried to unionize the Gemlimg Slave Sulphide mines. Preach, tear off the chains the monkey king cast on you and tell him your true name!

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

That memory becomes morbid if you clear out the 4 path one cause the 2nd dialogue is like

"no they are just blocking off the enterance to intimidate us, they wouldn't leave 1000 people to die here"

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

It's hard to know what to think of Cavas since the memories blatantly aren't actually his.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

I started liking Cavas when I entered a memory where he tried to unionize the Gemlimg Slave Sulphide mines. Preach, tear off the chains the monkey king cast on you and tell him your true name!

That's not Cavas' memory, it's Aul's.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I haven't posted much, but I'm really enjoying my Purifying Flame Chieftain (EO noncrit, full fire conversion, Sceptre plus shield). Level 84 so far, feeling strong and tanky with 5.8k life, 4 endurance charges, and tons of regen. 90k in-game tooltip with EO up, more for every 3/10 seconds because Chieftain, and 56% fire penetration. 5L is PF + Intensify + Controlled + Added Fire + Fire Pen.

The AoE is baller tier and herald of Ash mops up a lot of stragglers.

As for the league mechanic, I think it has a lot of potential now that I understand it better, but the large amount of bugs have really screwed me over a few times now. I'll hold final judgement for the inevitable 1-week bugfix/mechanic fix/cave in to Reddit's list of demands patch. I am looking forward to making some huge buffed paths and finding some bosses though!

On a related note, how do I progress Cavas to the uh "next stage" that I've seen spoiled on some streams? I've run a decent amount of map-level memory paths, but me Cavas is still Cavas.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

TheRat posted:

Think I've caught up with all the invites, let me know if you're still missing one

Seems like my post was overlooked, can I get an invite for Cyclone_Ben_Garrison, thanks.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Zmej posted:

If something isn't fun after I interact with it for over 12 hours, I am calling it.

You're eating poo poo, dude.

v The problem is, I am not sure where the good part is. Bestiary I could immediately see the problems and solutions. With this one, they would have to redesign the whole thing.

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 10, 2019

Svensken
May 29, 2010
As with every league, just take a break until they inevitably patch whatever you take issue with.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Mentat Radnor posted:

On a related note, how do I progress Cavas to the uh "next stage" that I've seen spoiled on some streams? I've run a decent amount of map-level memory paths, but me Cavas is still Cavas.

I just did this and I think it has to do with completing parts of Zana's questline. Once I finished Zana's first memory fragment, on the next map I went into the memory thing and it played the pseudo-cutscene and progressed Cavas to the next stage.

Also I just had a boss encounter spawn on my memory nexus but I'm wondering how many attempts I get at it. I'd love to go in blind but traditionally league bosses are rare as hell and I don't want to gently caress it up. Anyone know how many attempts you get or if the encounter decays aggressively and kicks you out?

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

J posted:

I just did this and I think it has to do with completing parts of Zana's questline. Once I finished Zana's first memory fragment, on the next map I went into the memory thing and it played the pseudo-cutscene and progressed Cavas to the next stage.

Awesome, thanks. Time to buy some maps since I don't have the ones with Shaper influence on my atlas.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Friend talked me into trying the PoE league and before the league started he wouldn't stop talking about how he had to have a good league starter. I told him anyone can write those posts on the forums. So I wrote up the only guide for berserker. https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2452030 Automatic essay generators do a bad job at writing their essays.

He rerolled 4 times in act 3 before he found a league starter that worked.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

So I tried Divine Ire and almost immediately went back to Storm Burst. I'm just kinda winging this, looking for lightning / cast speed nodes on my Guardian. I have a Holy Flame totem and Storm Brand but barely use them outside bossing, and am using Clarity, Herald of Purity and Herald of Thunder. Flame Golem is doing work too.

Everything including bosses just melt, but I'm a little concerned for later game stuff. My gear is currently terrible.

This is the first time I haven't been following a guide. Does anyone have any sort of guide or POB link I can use to compare? I've tried looking but can't find anything RE: Storm Burst and really don't know how to gem it out yet. Only using a 4 link with Infused Channeling / Elemental Proliferation / Efficacy but someone in #5555 suggested Increased Duration or something?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

How the Synthesis Launch went:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2455759/

My main takeaway:

quote:

This week, we also hope to see the launch of the Unique Collection Tab

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Addamere posted:

Gambling is the core gameplay loop of a Diablo clone
i guess what i was getting at is if it's gambling you have to be gambling for something. winning $1 on a $2 scratchy is fine if you know that there's $10,000 out there - there is, but because it's all rare intrinsics claiming your amazing item also requires a 3-4 exalt crafting fee.

putting items in the synthesiser doesn't feel like gambling - it feels like a false justification to myself for picking up the items in the first place.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

how do they cram all that graham

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Do support skills just affect the gem next to it or any gem in that item?

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

Ulio posted:

Do support skills just affect the gem next to it or any gem in that item?

Supports will affect any skill gem that share a tag with it (for example, Spell, AoE, projectile, etc). The gems must be linked to be supported.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

JerryLee posted:

They really need to take a break from leagues requiring a management simulator sort of interface. They've had that pedal pressed to the floor since at least Bestiary and it's really wearing thin for me, especially since a bunch of those are now core.

It would be better if you could just press a button to auto place all of the memories in your inventory and say gently caress it.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Divine Ire Trickster is pretty freakin' cool

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So how do you get more memory modifiers to appear on the map?

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Flavahbeast posted:

how do they cram all that graham

Oh my god

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
I read bad. nevermind.

Adbot