Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

FMguru posted:

Aren't there an alarming number of people who think "no deal" means "Brexit is called off, everything continues on as before, no changes"?

No, that was just from a website poll, and most of those responses were probably internet jokesters. In an actual Gallup (or some equivalent) survey only ~1% of Brits were actually that far off. I forget the other responses, but most of them accurately described No Deal and the rest thought it meant an automatic extension of Article 50 or had it confused with May's deal or something of that nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

None of which will matter because he still looks inbred and talks shite in a put-on overly posh voice that makes the Queen sound like a chav. English serfs will continue to doff their caps to him and hang on his every word. They'll fully support the destruction of the NHS, their jobs, their children's future, everything. As long as it results in there being fewer foreigns holding up the line at the food bank as they queue for some tins of mushy peas at the end of a 14-hour shift.

prefect posted:

Do bookmakers actually set prices based on what they think will happen? I had assumed it was all driven by the bettors -- the more people bet on one side, the more the odds go the other way to encourage bets to even things out.

I don't bet much other than really big sports events, but I do bet on Eurovision each year, which is a really niche betting market. I'm masochistic enough to watch many of the regional finals in countries that take place months before the actual contest. There's usually a few entries that are immediate standouts long before any sane person is even aware that it's almost Eurovision time again. The bookmakers however are all over that poo poo and their odds reflect emerging trends long before popular betting kicks in.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Elevator Screamer posted:

None of which will matter because he still looks inbred and talks shite in a put-on overly posh voice that makes the Queen sound like a chav. English serfs will continue to doff their caps to him and hang on his every word. They'll fully support the destruction of the NHS, their jobs, their children's future, everything. As long as it results in there being fewer foreigns holding up the line at the food bank as they queue for some tins of mushy peas at the end of a 14-hour shift.

I don't bet much other than really big sports events, but I do bet on Eurovision each year, which is a really niche betting market. I'm masochistic enough to watch many of the regional finals in countries that take place months before the actual contest. There's usually a few entries that are immediate standouts long before any sane person is even aware that it's almost Eurovision time again. The bookmakers however are all over that poo poo and their odds reflect emerging trends long before popular betting kicks in.

did you bet on the cultural appropriating zionist scumbag landwhale oval office?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
The Guardian has an article about how t-may is on the way out and the top blurb is "Even supporters only trying to get her past 28 May, to serve longer than Gordon Brown"

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

JFairfax posted:

did you bet on the cultural appropriating zionist scumbag landwhale oval office?

It wasn't an option on the ballot so I had to do a write-in for your mom.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Brexit is also the best chance they've ever gotten for reunification.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3vnPYaSm0A

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Shear Modulus posted:

a government that refuses to govern and also refuses to give up power is the culmination of neoliberalism

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
having to do governing kind of gets in the way of wealth extraction. if everyone could just freeze in place, stupefied for a few years while we empty your pockets, that would be just delightful, cheers.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ayn Randi posted:

having to do governing kind of gets in the way of wealth extraction. if everyone could just freeze in place, stupefied for a few years while we empty your pockets, that would be just delightful, cheers.

this is why no deal Brexit is going to happen

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
It’s been 100% unending worst-case scenario since the referendum two years ago, why would that change now all of a sudden? Why do people assume everything is going to work itself out?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

twoday posted:

It’s been 100% unending worst-case scenario since the referendum two years ago, why would that change now all of a sudden? Why do people assume everything is going to work itself out?

Human brains are really lovely at predicting the future, normalcy bias is a bitch

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lmao she's so loving poo poo

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1105030917846908933?s=19

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
if they end up having an extension instead of no deal, how long will the extension last?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Finicums Wake posted:

if they end up having an extension instead of no deal, how long will the extension last?

There's no definite answer but it'll probably either be 2 months or 21 months to miss EU elections or to the end of the translation period.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

"No10 consider it a win that Juncker even agreed to keep technical negotiations going between officials by the end of the call, so bad is the impasse now" lmao jfc

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Brexit is an allegory for climate change.

twoday
May 4, 2005

namesake posted:

There's no definite answer but it'll probably either be 2 months or 21 months to miss EU elections or to the end of the translation period.

The entire country’s economy and status quo will be upended in either 2 weeks, 2 months, or 2 years. Imagine having to plan literally anything with this kind of uncertainty

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

genericnick posted:

Why would a MP vote against May's deal but have confidence in the government? I'm not sure what the point of a delay would even be if it is clear that May's deal is dead, she isn't going anywhere and also isn't changing her mind. Just get it over with.

They don't want a general election. That's literally it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

forkboy84 posted:

They don't want a general election. That's literally it.

When you're a democracy

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

twoday posted:

The entire country’s economy and status quo will be upended in either 2 weeks, 2 months, or 2 years. Imagine having to plan literally anything with this kind of uncertainty

"Laugh and grow fat."

poo poo I should have listened to Jose.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

namesake posted:

"Laugh and grow fat."

poo poo I should have listened to Jose.

My stupid metabolism won't let me. I'm always hungry and angry.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Betting is a plague, and it does my head in that it so normalised in the uk

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/Jacob_Rees_Mogg/status/1104801354378346497?s=20

Leaving without an agreement is nothing to be frightened about. It opens the door to prosperity.The Chancellor ought to welcome it and use the £39billion, which would otherwise be wasted in Europe.

It could be spent on projects that would help the country and taxpayers keep more of their own money which they would, on the whole, spend more wisely than the Government spends it for them.

EU taxes that hit the least well off most, such as the requirement to putVAT on domestic fuel, should go, as could tariffs on goods not produced in this country. Perhaps taxpayers may even want some of their money spent on more police to help reduce knife crime.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

So they're going to vote on the deal that the EU hasn't agreed on in the hopes that the EU will capitulate at the last moment just to avoid no deal.

This would normally be batshit insane and grounds for being removed from office, but it makes perfect sense in hellworld.

twoday posted:

And it's impacting everyone on all kinds of decisions. I was going to get a new car this year, and I'd normally have booked a holiday by now. Except I don't know what will happen to the exchange rate, what kind of chaos there might be at airports or what might happen to my job. I don't want to spend any serious amount of money or make any drastic changes with my work because I cannot predict what our situation might be in a few months time.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Rees-Mogg is my favorite character in British politics because it’s as if he was frozen in a pod in the cellar of parliament in the 1870’s and they just thawed him out in 2015, futurama-style

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1104904644965351424?s=20

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Still can't get over him campaigning to be MP in a Fife constituency which was a traditional working class coal mining area which had the last Communist Party elected official in the UK (a local councillor) and took his nanny every where with him. Way to relate to the electorate.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

No, that was just from a website poll, and most of those responses were probably internet jokesters. In an actual Gallup (or some equivalent) survey only ~1% of Brits were actually that far off. I forget the other responses, but most of them accurately described No Deal and the rest thought it meant an automatic extension of Article 50 or had it confused with May's deal or something of that nature.

Jokesters? Typical REMOANER response, really. And one that I Am Quite Tired of. This is Not a Laughing Matter. This is a Matter of British Sovereignty. Taking Back Power from dodgy Tusk and His Cabal of German-French bureaucrats And giving it to Parliament, Her Majesty and the British People. Bless the British People when they Took the Vote and now We Must Honor the WILL OF THE PEOPLE.

As I have lived for 70 years And Not Once on the Dole, which is Something I Wish the younger Generation could Understand Hard Work! Perhaps After Brexit they will Bring Back proper British Coinage in My Lifetime.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Bloody Tuskan raiders :argh:

twoday
May 4, 2005

Rees-Mogg is like an antagonistic charicature of a capitalist from a Soviet propaganda poster that has been made real by a wizard

coke
Jul 12, 2009

quote:

Brexit: May’s threat to Europe: 'no deal for Britain is better than a bad deal'
Prime minister gives tough speech outlining government’s 12 priorities for Brexit negotiations as EU leaders warn that country is heading for ‘hard Brexit’

[...]
Although May said that the UK could be the EU’s “best friend” if the article 50 divorce talks went well, she also said she was prepared to walk away. “And while I am confident that this scenario need never arise – while I am sure a positive agreement can be reached – I am equally clear that no deal for Britain is better than a bad deal for Britain,” she said.
[...]
Setting out her government’s 12 priorities for crunch negotiations with the EU 27, May made it clear that the UK would:

-Take back control of borders, arguing that record levels of migration had “put pressure on public services”
-No longer be under the jurisdiction of the European court of justice, because “we will not have truly left the European Union if we are not in control of our own laws”
-“Explicitly rule out membership of the EU’s single market” because that is incompatible with migration controls
-Not stay in the customs union, but try to strike a separate deal as an “associate member” to make trading as “frictionless as possible”
-Not be required to “contribute huge sums to the EU budget” but simply pay towards specific programmes
-But would seek a “new, comprehensive, bold and ambitious free trade agreement” with the EU, and build trading relationships with countries beyond Europe as part of a “global Britain” strategy.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jan/17/prime-minister-vows-to-put-final-brexit-deal-before-parliament

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

twoday posted:

Rees-Mogg is my favorite character in British politics because it’s as if he was frozen in a pod in the cellar of parliament in the 1870’s and they just thawed him out in 2015, futurama-style

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1104904644965351424?s=20

Sort of. Politically he's quite modern though.

He's obviously spent his whole life attempting to fuse Christianity with objectivism and has ended up with "it's a sin to help people"

It's pretty clear he comes from the same Randian tradition as our neoliberal consensus he's just fully embraced it as a world view

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Which makes sense really. How else do you square being a 10 year old millionaire in a country with so many poor and homeless while also being a good Christian?

Easy, charity is a sin and God wants you to have the money not them

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

twoday posted:

Rees-Mogg is like an antagonistic charicature of a capitalist from a Soviet propaganda poster that has been made real by a wizard

Lmao at this Thomas Neill Cream cosplayer

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

May to EU: I WILL BLOW MY BRAINS OUT YOU HEAR? GIVE ME A PINK UNICORN OR I'LL DO IT, I SWEAR!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

An insane mind posted:

May to EU: I WILL BLOW MY BRAINS OUT YOU HEAR? GIVE ME A PINK UNICORN OR I'LL DO IT, I SWEAR!

everyone laughs but tbh "do what i say or ill blow my brains out" probably *does* get results IRL

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

the problem is once the gun is out of our hands the EU is just going to section us

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
This Reese fella has Margaret Thatcher tattoo'd on his back, doesn't he

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Avirosb posted:

This Reese fella has Margaret Thatcher tattoo'd on his back, doesn't he

No, Roger Stone has space on his back set aside for the MOGG SQUAD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

technically, there are no Meaningful votes in the UK any more because it's a failed state