Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

you know a game is bad when people need to create a subreddit specifically meant to be an echo chamber of "positivity" and praise for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

ZeeBoi posted:

you know a game is bad when people need to create a subreddit specifically meant to be an echo chamber of "positivity" and praise for it

lmao what

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://www.reddit.com/r/lowsodiumanthem

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

DancingShade posted:

It was also pretty dumb not to make the character inside the robot suit much more visible / useful.

Why? So you can sell the player all sorts of cosmetic bullshit that won't even be visible in combat. Sell them twice the cosmetics! The combat stuff plus the unarmored stuff at additional cost. Buy the matching overalls to go with your armor doo-dad for only 2000 space bucks extra in this limited time combo.

Even the predatory monetization was barely quarter arsed.

Did they not bother to look at the other games in the genre? In Warframe DE will sell you comestetics for your warframes, cosmetics for you robot companions, cosmetics for your space dogs and space cats, they even sell decorations for the spaceship you hang out in between missions. They also do what Anthem should have done and let you buy cosmetics for the guy operating the warframe once you unlock them, because DE was crazy enough to include a character creating screen 30-40 hours into the game.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

quote:

We live in an era of instant gratification. I call it "Fast food gaming" or "Muffin top gaming". You consume and you move on to the next thing. No working hard to get something. I remember playing Phantasy Star Online and not getting any item for months. I guess that era of gaming is gone.

The same thing happens to WoW. Blizzard tried to please the casual with the expansion Wrath of the Litch King. Daily gave you purple like candies, you didn't have to travel to dungeon anymore, You could PUG any content. You didn't have to CC mob, you just aoe tank. The game started dying after that. They got their fix and they moved on. Sometimes you have to be careful about what you want because you might get it and you won't like it.

Its the WoW reference that really tickles me about this one. Going all the way back to Wrath as the point WoW started dying is some vintage MMO grognard. Dude was probably really upset about Badges of Justice in TBC too.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

1stGear posted:

Its the WoW reference that really tickles me about this one. Going all the way back to Wrath as the point WoW started dying is some vintage MMO grognard. Dude was probably really upset about Badges of Justice in TBC too.

That dude arguing that Wrath being the end is an idiot because Wrath was considered the pinnacle of good WoW design.

That being said, Vanilla WoW was interesting because you had to find a hodgepodge of gear to get the resistances needed in order to raid, making it feel like an actual adventure to enter the endgame instead of the "grind same gear with slightly better stats" game that WoW has become.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

Can CD projekt red buy EA's IPs?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

1stGear posted:

dude mentioned PSO, dude is a loving greybeard

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

dude mentioned PSO, dude is a loving greybeard

Wait, Phantasy Star Online? I tried that briefly so many years ago I can't even remember.

I remember it being poo poo though.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

RagnarokZ posted:

Wait, Phantasy Star Online? I tried that briefly so many years ago I can't even remember.

I remember it being poo poo though.

PSO was some slow poo poo. Like base Everquest slow.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Yeah even in the bygone era of proper no-life MMOs, Phantasy Star Online is one of the more notorious ones for being morbidly grindy.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

1stGear posted:

Going all the way back to Wrath as the point WoW started dying is some vintage MMO grognard.

i'm laughing so hard at that dude holy gently caress

yeah man easing off all the EQ-era bullshittery really killed wow huh????????

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

1stGear posted:

people who want MMOs to be a huge chore should be throttled

get a loving job if you want to "work hard"

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

RottenK posted:

people who want MMOs to be a huge chore should be throttled

get a loving job if you want to "work hard"

People get comfortable in their misery

They learn to love it. Then, when released, they just want more.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

In the next few months, we’re expecting to make significant changes, but we’re starting with some incremental ones so we can better navigate that evolution. Our goal is to ensure the best possible player experience.

It's priceless that they think anyone will stick around that long.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Lmao figured I'd try to unlock the BP for one of the MW guns I can't get to drop by using a purple version to kill 10 legendary enemies. Took time craft up each of the consumables for bonus damage, launched. GM1 stronghold. Launched and landed in a broken instance. This game. :(

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Chickenwalker posted:

I have not bought the game. I want it to be a good game so that I can buy it (on sale) sometime down the line and actually enjoy it. At this point, they're developing the game for me, not people who already bought it. Which, as the target, is fine by me!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

They can add content but they can't change the underlying design that makes Anthem bad.

The only good thing in Anthem is tapping jump then shift into flight, they nailed the transition animations, but the flight itself is never really incorporated into the gameplay or area design and gets boring fast. Sparrows in Destiny are more fun to ride around on, looking for things to jump off and carving paths, than the A to B flying with an overheat meter cutting you down in Anthem.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Having not bought Anthem myself, I can say that I'm actually tempted by the game, despite its problems, because I can see the potential to be a really fun game in there once they work things out. However, I'm not going to buy it, because I have no faith EA will stick with it long enough for it to get to that point, and I don't want to spend money on a game like this only to have it shut down in six months.

So if it were any other publisher, I might take a risk and pick it up with the hope that it'll get steadily better like Warframe and Division did. But with EA, even if they say 'oh we'll totally stick with this and give it the chance to grow into its potential', well...I don't trust you to do that.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Gothsheep posted:

Having not bought Anthem myself, I can say that I'm actually tempted by the game, despite its problems, because I can see the potential to be a really fun game in there once they work things out. However, I'm not going to buy it, because I have no faith EA will stick with it long enough for it to get to that point, and I don't want to spend money on a game like this only to have it shut down in six months.

So if it were any other publisher, I might take a risk and pick it up with the hope that it'll get steadily better like Warframe and Division did. But with EA, even if they say 'oh we'll totally stick with this and give it the chance to grow into its potential', well...I don't trust you to do that.

even if it were a different publisher you should not buy this in anticipation of it becoming good down the line. It is so far from being a good game that I doubt ubisoft levels of support could turn it around.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
it's funny how humans feel the need to control reality through stories and the narrative irrespective of the intrinsic material reality hiding underneath.

We validate what are nothing more than virtual beliefs via our argumentation and dismiss the opposing beliefs as dishonest or disingenuous, or even deliberately evil.

I wonder why people can't accept that we're all fallible, we don't know the truth of things, opinions are just best guesses based on personal bias and incomplete information and only time will tell who is right if anyone.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

teh_Broseph posted:

it's funny how humans feel the need to control reality through stories and the narrative irrespective of the intrinsic material reality hiding underneath.

We validate what are nothing more than virtual beliefs via our argumentation and dismiss the opposing beliefs as dishonest or disingenuous, or even deliberately evil.

I wonder why people can't accept that we're all fallible, we don't know the truth of things, opinions are just best guesses based on personal bias and incomplete information and only time will tell who is right if anyone.

Cobbling together a crappy version of Cartesian aesthetics in an increasingly desperate effort to justify your love of an EA product.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Hra Mormo posted:

Yeah even in the bygone era of proper no-life MMOs, Phantasy Star Online is one of the more notorious ones for being morbidly grindy.

Didn't it have some bizarre poo poo where your name determined the kind of item drop table you had?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Vermain posted:

Didn't it have some bizarre poo poo where your name determined the kind of item drop table you had?

Your character name determined your Section ID, which could influence the frequency of certain item types and which enemies would drop them. It was kind of cool in a way.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

teh_Broseph posted:

I agree. I think what they have shown is more than enough. What disappoints me is the fact the community is starting to sound like a publisher (EA) in asking for things. They need to keep in mind that the people making the game are only human, mistakes can and will happen, But pushing for them to give you new content when they just don't have anything to show isn't helping.

No I dont think they are sitting there jerking off. But that also means they are doing things. Interesting things. And they are not even mentioning them - just what they hope to do in the future.

dont stop keep going

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

trash person posted:

I just wonder what the messaging around that would look like. Say in a year from now and EA cancels any future 'act' content drops. Do they announce it or just quitely let the playerbase disappear.

Can a game die if no one really played it in the first place

They'll just do like they did with ME:A: 6 months of silence followed by a blog post saying "X feature update/patch is our last one, thanks for being fans, we're moving on".

Also all the DLC is cancelled now.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I like some of the changes they made in the patch, but god damnit am I still locked out of Tyrant Mine. Going on a full week of having 1/3rd of the end-game dungeons locked out due to a bug. Not even sure how this isn't like a priority for them, though I guess they are having some issues with loot.

Edit: Ok. I'm done with this game. Just got hit with the same bug in the Scar Temple. So now i'm locked out of 2/3 of the strongholds.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

There are reddit threads with folks offering to reset. That's what I did.

But yeah, fuckin' crazy they didn't fix that issue in the patch. If someone is playing mostly solo they're locked out until they can find someone to help.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

There are reddit threads with folks offering to reset. That's what I did.

But yeah, fuckin' crazy they didn't fix that issue in the patch. If someone is playing mostly solo they're locked out until they can find someone to help.

Which is my situation. Also getting loot when solo seems impossible. I didn't know you could get items above level 45 until I saw someone elses gear. I'm way behind in this game.

Edit: and can you link the reddit thread please? I couldn't find it. I posted in the one on the EA forums a few days ago and no one ever got back to me.
Edit 2: Also, I just talked to support and they said it was fixed in the last patch but some users are still reporting problems, so they are working on it. Just wanted you all to know: they are working on it. I'm kind of looking forward to the Division 2.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 11, 2019

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

ShowTime posted:

Edit: and can you link the reddit thread please? I couldn't find it. I posted in the one on the EA forums a few days ago and no one ever got back to me.

Here's the most recent one I found, but you could also try posting a fresh thread. Might take a bit for Xbox, looks PC and PS4 threads are more common.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

teh_Broseph posted:

hurt me more anthem

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

drkeiscool posted:

hurt me more anthem

He's just copying and pasting Star citizen posts.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

ShowTime posted:

Which is my situation. Also getting loot when solo seems impossible. I didn't know you could get items above level 45 until I saw someone elses gear. I'm way behind in this game.

Edit 2: Also, I just talked to support and they said it was fixed in the last patch but some users are still reporting problems, so they are working on it. Just wanted you all to know: they are working on it. I'm kind of looking forward to the Division 2.

Can you get in via quickplay?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Probably, but you'd have to luck into a Tyrant Mine run and Quickplay is still pretty borked.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Chickenwalker posted:

If they fix the game people will come back. There is a lot of precedence for games being lovely and everybody saying "gently caress this" and then coming back once the wonder patch hits.

The question isn't whether or not gamers will come back, the question is whether or not Anthem is left for dead by then.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

exquisite tea posted:

Your character name determined your Section ID, which could influence the frequency of certain item types and which enemies would drop them. It was kind of cool in a way.

It was cool unless you were playing on Gamecube without a way to play online. PSO was my first mmo type game and I was all about playing the ranged attack mech. I played through all the areas by myself and beat the big gross biohorror laser boss or what have you at the end with Redria as my section ID. I didn't know until I looked it up that Redria players CANNOT get unique/legendary ranged weapons beyond a basic-ish pistol and super slow low damage aoe bazooka. Dropped it for Diablo 2 and never looked back.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Ice Fist posted:

If they fix the game people will come back. There is a lot of precedence for games being lovely and everybody saying "gently caress this" and then coming back once the wonder patch hits.

The question isn't whether or not gamers will come back, the question is whether or not Anthem is left for dead by then.

The biggest joke is, if the game'd been released as an early access deal without the EA stigma, you wouldn't've heard a word of criticism from reddit or gamers generally until the five-year mark

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

bandaid.friend posted:

The biggest joke is, if the game'd been released as an early access deal without the EA stigma, you wouldn't've heard a word of criticism from reddit or gamers generally until the five-year mark

That'd depend on a lot of factors, including them still charging 60 or so bucks for an "early access game", if it was even on steam and if they actually improved anything besides the in game storefront. It could have easily been a grander gently caress up than this.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Ice Fist posted:

My point is that they're saying they are going to take months to fix one of the simplest flaws of the game. Nobody is going to stick around if they can't fix something as simple as "loot is bad > make loot better" in an expeditious fashion. And this is a game that absolutely lives and dies on having people to play with.

People coming back may be a thing for F2P games, but when you're charging for admission you rely on that launch surge for the foundation of your player base. Once the momentum's lost and people start leaving there's the knock-on effect of everyone else ditching too for lack of anyone to play with, and...welp *knives sharpening sound*

I mean I routinely played missions during launch week with groups that weren't full and never filled. Not a great sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Nothing like entering that multiplayer low population death spiral in the first month.

Well at least the Neil Blomkamp movie was good. Pity they didn't make that into a game. Maybe they intended to? Wonder what the original planned finish date was. 2021?