Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Bust Rodd posted:

The most rage I have ever encountered in a game (outside of LoL and Overwatch) was maybe an hour after the Cosmic Wings patch dropped I was running bounties and hadn’t been paying attention to the patch and got a goblin, walked into his portal and killed a glowing pony. As soon as chat told them I killed it one guy types “WINGS!?!!?” and I go “yeah butterfly wings, cool huh?”

Jesus the wall of text this guy dropped was insane, like the Diablo 3 version of those conspiracy theorist vans in grocery store parking lots covered in text and stickers and stuff.

Sometimes when I’m sad I like to imagine they are out there, still grinding for butterfly wings

Wait, the butterfly wings are the rare ones? poo poo I've had those since like the first week I started playing again on PS4

Edit: oh never mind, I have the monarch wings oh my godddd I need glowing purple wings (I don't use any of this cosmetic poo poo)

enojy fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Level 69. Unable to take a step without getting murdered in expert

Level 70. Did the first haedrig gift, gambled the rest of the set, got super lucky and now before I've even started my first level 70 rift I'm suddenly chucking 12000% damage blessed hammers and lolhammering my way through torment VII

I cubed joanna's argument that I got at like level 40 and now I'm just unstoppable basically

Very loving big and sudden power jump, not complaining though as Blizzard has pretty much wrung all they can out of the life of the game without having to artificially lengthen it

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice

Kyrosiris posted:

Near as I can tell, the Diablo 3 CE came with a soulstone-shaped USB stick that has D2/LOD on it, but apparently didn't come with keys anywhere? Which seems really weird, since you would need said keys to play at all, I'd think, but idk.

I have a buddy who also bought the CE, I'll ask him if he maybe knows where the keys would be. Are they perhaps on the USB stick?

I am pretty sure they are on the USB stick in (if I remember correctly?) a text file. You can add them to your battle.net account that way.

At least, I'm 95% percent sure that's what I did.

Edit: I guess it was printed out according to others, whups.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Nobody with a stick wants to actually stick their stick in and see.

Someone mail me one. I'll stick it in there and see if the stick has a key.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Kheldarn posted:

Nobody with a stick wants to actually stick their stick in and see.

Someone mail me one. I'll stick it in there and see if the stick has a key.

Just has installers and cabinet files.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
This is all I could take with me when I left home a few years back.
I couldn't take the bigass collector's edition box, so I got the important bits out and packed those up in my duffle.

(Forgot to prop up the making of DVD. That's in my junk box too, with my other books and CDs)

Must have thrown out the D2 and LoD keys with the guest passes.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

MariusLecter posted:

Must have thrown out the D2 and LoD keys with the guest passes.
The best way to play d2 and lod is on pservers. Check out slashdiablo, path of diablo, or median xl. Slash has a ladder reset coming up in a few weeks.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Speaking of the older games, is this the place to talk about Diablo 1, since it’s been re-released?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I'd say go for it. D1 probably won't generate enough posts to warrant its own thread and we are late into the current season anyways.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeha I mean we would ostensibly be the most excited about it and so far you're the first to bring it up.

Diablo has probably the single most memorable music and sound effects in video games. Playing Diablo as a child was basically when I realized that video games could be better than books if the games were good.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I downloaded the Belzebub mod for it. It works with the GOG classic install and allows for additional classes, widescreen support with zooming, up to 60 fps support and tons of other additional features, like alt-highlighting and such. The game looks really good when played at 1280x720 because the interface is still a good useable size and the graphics look really sharp. There's lots of neat little things about the game that I missed, like spell tomes giving every character spells, and additional tomes of each spell levelling the spell up.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I think I heard that Belzebub changes some things besides QoL improvements, possibly making the game harder for some characters.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
I played for about 30 minutes, clearing level 1 and then selling some stuff in town, then quit. Went back last night to dive a little deeper, and realized you have to manually save before exiting.

Man, the 90’s were a wild time in gaming.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I really do dig on the graphics of the original Diablo. I remember thinking when Diablo 2 came out that it looked great, but a touch too cartoony. In retrospect that seems ridiculous, but still. And I like how even things like opening barrels could be life or death. After I got bored of single player, I'd go online and have "pet golem" fights with other players. If I remember correctly, there was no real PVP in the first game, but we could make our pets/summons fight each other. It was good fun.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

And I like how even things like opening barrels could be life or death.

As a kid I always thought it would be hilarious if Diablo would just jump out of a barrel and annihilate your character. Then D3 came along and those glorious fuckers actually did it with cursed chests that have bosses inside.

mewse
May 2, 2006

chaosapiant posted:

I really do dig on the graphics of the original Diablo. I remember thinking when Diablo 2 came out that it looked great, but a touch too cartoony. In retrospect that seems ridiculous, but still. And I like how even things like opening barrels could be life or death. After I got bored of single player, I'd go online and have "pet golem" fights with other players. If I remember correctly, there was no real PVP in the first game, but we could make our pets/summons fight each other. It was good fun.

I feel like D1 has crisper graphics than D2 because D2 was released in the 3D era where they were like "let's just 3D model the characters and automate the sprite generation"

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

mewse posted:

I feel like D1 has crisper graphics than D2 because D2 was released in the 3D era where they were like "let's just 3D model the characters and automate the sprite generation"

D1 did sprite generation from 3D models too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VscdPA6sUkc&t=1076s

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

In the console and arcade scenes, we call that "pre-rendered". Basically, doing sprites the old way was hard, time-consuming, and expensive. Once devs learned they could do it this way, they pretty much all jumped in on that bandwagon. Especially smaller devs, like arcade game makers.

I generally prefer the look of the old style. Especially most Japanese games. D1 was ok, though.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 11, 2019

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

This is cool, thanks!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm a nerd for Diablo so I just bought the Book of Adria. Amazon will ship this item to me soon and I may have it by next week. I already have the Books of Cain and Tyrael. They are fun to look at. Does anyone else got this book to look at? Do you like it?

Edit: also is there a Diablo Discord for Goons? With the re-release of D1 i'm playing all 3 games again concurrently and want somewhere to talk about it instead of doing work.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 13, 2019

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Well, I give up on soloing these conquests, so if anyone on PS4 is trying to get the non-solo seasonal ones done (e.g. "Curses!", 20-minute boss rush) drop me a line! PSN is ericiidx. If I'm online and playing D3, I'm down to do 'em.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

enojy posted:

Well, I give up on soloing these conquests, so if anyone on PS4 is trying to get the non-solo seasonal ones done (e.g. "Curses!", 20-minute boss rush) drop me a line! PSN is ericiidx. If I'm online and playing D3, I'm down to do 'em.

Weak! (I wasted way too long completing the boss rush conquest as a first time player)

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
is it too late to purchase and play this dead gay video game and if not can i still play a no click skellingtons only necro build tia

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

queef anxiety posted:

is it too late to purchase and play this dead gay video game and if not can i still play a no click skellingtons only necro build tia

Not too late. You can play a skelly necro or you can play a no click necro, but you can't really play a no click skelly necro.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Dameius posted:

Not too late. You can play a skelly necro or you can play a no click necro, but you can't really play a no click skelly necro.

You can't really play a no-click necro that well any more since the Mirinae 'fix'...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

How is Necro regarded, more generally? Want to pick up the expansion next time it goes on sale, but if it's similar to WD I don't think I'd enjoy it—that class never quite clicked with me, the 3 times I've tried it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Necro is strong but really finicky, all the top builds center around being a two-minute wonder with Corpse Lance + LotD and jumping around trying not to die in between. Their more fun builds like Corpse Explosion, Lazymancer and Blood Mages require much less work but can't push nearly as high. If you don't care about soloing GR100+ then that might not bother you too much.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Not too much. Mostly asking about design and ambiguously defined "fun factor".

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

I liked necro alright but since I play multiple classes I just play the ones that do those roles better (I don’t do 4man where rg killer things are required). For example lazystorm is a lot of fun, but my barb does that super lazy stuff even lazier and faster.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rinkles posted:

How is Necro regarded, more generally? Want to pick up the expansion next time it goes on sale, but if it's similar to WD I don't think I'd enjoy it—that class never quite clicked with me, the 3 times I've tried it.

It's less fun than WD, IMO. It doesn't play the same as WD though, you constantly have to recast skeleton mages every 6 seconds or wait for your big whammy skill that's on a 2 minute cool down. :geno:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
In groups it can be fun, but solo necro is a pretty solid meh. Not bad, but meh.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Welp.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I don't really regret buying it, but I also don't play it much anymore. In a game with barbs, monks, and DHs, what is the point of anything else?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Rinkles posted:

Weak! (I wasted way too long completing the boss rush conquest as a first time player)

I got it! Probably with seconds to spare -- timer read 20:30ish, but I guess the game doesn't count periods in which the game is effectively paused (map, loading screens, boss cutscenes/transitions, etc.) The only thing really flubbing me up was the whole procedural dungeon thing for bosses with big traversal beforehand (Adria and Spider Queen Lady I Should Know The Name Of especially.) I actually went entirely the wrong way for Adria on my successful attempt and almost gave up.

Officially done with the season as much as I care to be. Curses! can gently caress off; it's allegedly impossible to solo on console anyway due to mobs spawning too slowly once it gets to the point of dozens popping up at a time.

And yea, Necro plays just about nothing like what people may remember of the D2 necro, but the DNA is still kinda there. I always felt like Witch Doctor was an attempt to pick up that slack in terms of playstyle when D3 first came out. Corpse Explosion build is as fun as it ever was, but not a viable super endgame build, and obviously pretty weak against elites and bosses especially. The current meta build is horribly situational (Corpse Lance) and relies a lot on cooldowns/CDR on gear, and still relies on corpses, but it hits HARD.

enojy fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 14, 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
A hallmark of D3 is them realizing that a do nothing, no button pets build are bad and impossible to design fights for because the player can’t do anything, so they wisely shy away from that in D3. You can have about 35-40 pets as a witch doctor and maybe another 25-30 as a Necromancer, but you’ll need to actively hitting some kind of keys.

I think it beats mentioning though that Necromancers were so amazing out of the gate that only now like a year later after multiple iterative patches are the other classes starting to catch up. Necromancers are very strong.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Bust Rodd posted:

A hallmark of D3 is them realizing that a do nothing, no button pets build are bad and impossible to design fights for because the player can’t do anything, so they wisely shy away from that in D3. You can have about 35-40 pets as a witch doctor and maybe another 25-30 as a Necromancer, but you’ll need to actively hitting some kind of keys.

I think it beats mentioning though that Necromancers were so amazing out of the gate that only now like a year later after multiple iterative patches are the other classes starting to catch up. Necromancers are very strong.

That's probably true, but everybody always asks about a build without/minimal buttons (WW, bone armor, etc) for their netflix build so people obviously still enjoy that style of play.

I still think they're clunky despite being strong, and not really fun compared to the other classes. v:v:v

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don’t think we can fault developers for not including ways for the game to auto-pilot itself while we watch TV

Spacely
Mar 21, 2007
Doing 4 man Grifts last night and using a necro for rift guardian killer. The boss gets to 15% and dies to the necro's frailty but it has like a death animation so it lags a little and takes like a second to register even though it already died.

Finish rift at 15:00.5 because of it and fail.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Upon reflection, my favorite part of the Necro are the cosmetics, particularly the blood wings. But since I have the rainbow wings, I p much never use them. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Speaking of cosmetics, does anyone else purchase Starcraft and Wow deluxe edition bullshit even if you don’t play those games, just to get at the exclusive cosmetics for D3?