Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Gunder posted:

Not sure I like this game. I only played The Ninja Theory game in the series before this one, and after reinstalling that this afternoon, I’m having a lot more fun with that one.

The combat in DmC is simpler than 5, but it feels like it all hangs together a bit better. During combat the first character you play as feels very slow one moment and then way too fast the next. It’s like it’s all been tuned to emulate an old combat system from a time gone by and it just feels pretty poor by today’s standards. It’s overly technical in the wrong ways, and it makes combos look like janky exploits rather than fluid movement. I’m sure it probably does a great job of bringing back the feel of the old DMC games, but to a newcomer it feels off.

Also the camera sucks, and is a real step back from the pretty good one from DmC.

So which game blog do you work for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Is there a way to only get a specific style announcer or are you always limited to the default or "default + could be anyone" ?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I think the hardest part of fighting V's second boss the guy on a horse was that Shadow had a hard time staying close enough for me to actually hit him.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Gunder posted:

Not sure I like this game. I only played The Ninja Theory game in the series before this one, and after reinstalling that this afternoon, I’m having a lot more fun with that one.

The combat in DmC is simpler than 5, but it feels like it all hangs together a bit better. During combat the first character you play as feels very slow one moment and then way too fast the next. It’s like it’s all been tuned to emulate an old combat system from a time gone by and it just feels pretty poor by today’s standards. It’s overly technical in the wrong ways, and it makes combos look like janky exploits rather than fluid movement. I’m sure it probably does a great job of bringing back the feel of the old DMC games, but to a newcomer it feels off.

Also the camera sucks, and is a real step back from the pretty good one from DmC.

exquisite tea posted:

Is there a way to only get a specific style announcer or are you always limited to the default or "default + could be anyone" ?

ATM it just seems to be Default/Random Announcer - although I've only heard Nico so far.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
goddamn laughing and crying all the way through that end section. griffon, my friend. goodbye. :( loved all that battle having dmc1 music throwbacks too. so good. got it chilling in the main menu at the min and its just dante and vergil chilling in the van. :allears:

also nico <3

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Give me more playable characters, Capcom!

Then release an all DMC fighting game

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
how is this game so good. what magic did itsuno and team conjure up.

edit: gently caress it, buying the deluxe edition for SoS mode playthrough. :blastu:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Gunder posted:

Foolish.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 11, 2019

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Really if they add co-op to Bloody Palace or something a lot of people are going to fall down a deep, dark hole and not come back for a long time.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Mulva posted:

Really if they add co-op to Bloody Palace or something a lot of people are going to fall down a deep, dark hole and not come back for a long time.

Especially if they get really weird with it. I want to buddy up with someone and fight 3 copies of the chapter 19 boss simultaneously.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
The one mission where you DO get to fight side by side was absurdly loving fun, and I would pay good money for a Bloody Palace expansion to get it.

Also, ending spoiler sidenote. Because if nobody else is gonna be creepybrave enough to say it, I will. Nero's DT is hot as gently caress and Kyrie is a VERY lucky woman.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

how is this game so good. what magic did itsuno and team conjure up.

edit: gently caress it, buying the deluxe edition for SoS mode playthrough. :blastu:

As it turns out, Itsuno is a really good director, and can make GOTY material when you actually give him decent time and money.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Hey-O, so I'm really enjoying the game so far, but I have a few questions.

1. When do you get the ability to use alternate costumes? I got the edition that comes with alt outfits, and when I look online it says you're supposed to be able to select a costume just before starting a mission, even for stages where you don't get to pick a character? And how do you change outfits for the NPC characters (Nico, Lady, Trish)? I'm on Mission 5.

2. Less a question, more a small gripe. I'm having trouble with some of the moves. Mainly, it's frustrating that the move where Nero rushes along the ground towards the enemy ends by knocking said enemy away. I keep wanting to use it as a gap-closer to keep combos going, but since it just knocks the enemy away, it doesn't really work for that. Also, the move to knock enemies into the air (RB+Back+Y) is pretty hit or miss. Sometimes it'll work, other times he just turns around and does a normal slash.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Nico, Trish, and Lady costumes are under Options > Cutscene Customization.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gunder posted:

MOD EDIT: I, VG, changed the link below because it is apparently a spoiler.

http s://media.giphy.com/media/tI QylJdEBRuYmNYGok/giphy.gif

Somebody fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Mar 12, 2019

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Annath posted:

Hey-O, so I'm really enjoying the game so far, but I have a few questions.

1. When do you get the ability to use alternate costumes? I got the edition that comes with alt outfits, and when I look online it says you're supposed to be able to select a costume just before starting a mission, even for stages where you don't get to pick a character? And how do you change outfits for the NPC characters (Nico, Lady, Trish)? I'm on Mission 5.

2. Less a question, more a small gripe. I'm having trouble with some of the moves. Mainly, it's frustrating that the move where Nero rushes along the ground towards the enemy ends by knocking said enemy away. I keep wanting to use it as a gap-closer to keep combos going, but since it just knocks the enemy away, it doesn't really work for that. Also, the move to knock enemies into the air (RB+Back+Y) is pretty hit or miss. Sometimes it'll work, other times he just turns around and does a normal slash.

1. If you're not being given the prompt to select a costume automatically at the start of each mission, you may not have installed it. For the NPC characters, it's under "Cutscene Options" in the main menu's options menu, if they're installed

2. You can always use the Grapple line to pull enemies back in after knocking them away. The directional-input moves only work if you're locked on, in which case it should be impossible for Nero to turn around because being locked-on keeps him facing toward the enemy.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
There’s been some weird stuff going on with the DLC in this game, on PS4 at least. It told me it installed when I entered the code, but I had to tell it to do it again before the game registered it.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
So far V reminds me of Seb from Coronation Street. Anyone else?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So I just checked my steam install, and it isn't listing the alt costumes. I appear to have everything else, just not the costumes??

They aren't showing up under the customize cutscene either, only the live action option.

This is what steam says:

This is what I bought:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The alt costumes and 100k red orbs were a pre-order bonus. So check your email / spam tab to see if there is something in there.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Flytrap posted:

Also, ending spoiler sidenote. Because if nobody else is gonna be creepybrave enough to say it, I will. Nero's DT is hot as gently caress and Kyrie is a VERY lucky woman.

Shall Never Sweet Surrender

Annath posted:

So I just checked my steam install, and it isn't listing the alt costumes. I appear to have everything else, just not the costumes??

They aren't showing up under the customize cutscene either, only the live action option.

This is what steam says:

I'm guessing you didn't preorder, since those were preorder penalties. Don't worry, Capcom will make them available in six months for $5.99 each because they're totally not actually Hitler when it comes to DLC.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Barudak posted:

Give me more playable characters, Capcom!

Then release an all DMC fighting game

Make 👏 Soldier Boy 👏 Playable 👏

K8.0 posted:

Capcom will make them available in six months for $5.99 each because they're totally not actually Hitler when it comes to DLC.

So long as it gets me that banana breaker in the op, too.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

K8.0 posted:

Shall Never Sweet Surrender

I'm guessing you didn't preorder, since those were preorder penalties. Don't worry, Capcom will make them available in six months for $5.99 each because they're totally not actually Hitler when it comes to DLC.

What was the cutoff? Because I ordered it a week ago:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

what do you have to do to unlock the post credits ending? i didnt get it... do you have to finish both credits fights? i saw a youtube of a doing failing them both and he still got it.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I find it a bit odd that Lady of all people Is one of the people telling Nero that you never "recover" from killing your dad. Pretty sure she killed him in cold blood in revenge for her Mom and has no regrets.Nero just wants revenge for his drat arm being torn off.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

e: wrong drat thread

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Regarding your spoiler While she had every intention of killing her father, even when she shot him until her clip was empty, she still ended up crying/sobbing after laughing hysterically.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 11, 2019

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Also popping Silver Bullet and getting the vocal drop is loving sooooo cathartic. Just go off on him with every button in the world, do it, every combo. Especially on higher difficulties, as it's too easy to just blow past the chance to activate the song on lower difficulties. You earned this one Nero.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

god drat this game is good. This has been one of my favorite series since the first game came out even though I'm not very good at it. But this one feels great. The robot arms have made Nero so much more versatile it's crazy. I used to prefer Dante but I love Nero now. V is super weird and I'm not used to it but he is fun. Just got Dante and he is beefy as hell. Can't wait to get to the unique weapons for him. I've never been able to do royal guard in previous games but I can manage it in this one. I appreciate how much more forgiving the mechanics are without making the game too easy, they really hit a good balance with this one. I had some guesses about the plot, while avoiding spoilery videos, and I finally hit a point where they're starting to answer the questions I had and it's been very satisfying. The RE Engine is loving wild, everything looks so good. If for some reason you're reading this thread without having bought the game yet, go out and get it now. It's the best in the series imo.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Vikar Jerome posted:

what do you have to do to unlock the post credits ending? i didnt get it... do you have to finish both credits fights? i saw a youtube of a doing failing them both and he still got it.

You have to kill more enemies than Vergil in the final sequence.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

The Shame Boy posted:

I find it a bit odd that Lady of all people Is one of the people telling Nero that you never "recover" from killing your dad. Pretty sure she killed him in cold blood in revenge for her Mom and has no regrets.Nero just wants revenge for his drat arm being torn off.

The Shame Boy posted:

Also if you read Morrison's notes he mentions that he sometimes finds Dante and Lady drunk off their rear end dourly muttering about killing their family members. They're both kinda hosed up by it, but they hide it behind bravado.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 11, 2019

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

random thoughts from past play session:

i unlocked Dante and I'm loving it, he was always my preferred character over Nero so I was looking forward to this for a while

i wasn't really feeling balrog to begin with because i've just never been big on ifrit/beowulf/gilgamesh. i realize i'm vastly in the minority on this but they've just never felt super great to me. i like balrog's kick mode but not enough to totally win me over

i really wish they would bring back sword pierce from 3. it might have been a bit overpowered but i loved using rebellion as a damage over time while attacking with another weapon. round trip in 5 is more or less the same function but it doesn't last as long and it's SO SLOW to come out aaaaaaaaa. hoping dance macabre is an unlockable skill in this one (i think i saw it in a trailer)

the first gun you find just lying around (kalina ann) feels really good, i'm glad you can shoot it in the air now and its gunslinger moves are pretty chunky and do good damage. i understand you get a better version of it later, so i'm looking forward to that

dante's first real boss fight (i forget the exact name but it was the angelo with the lightning sword) was SUPER fun; i died a few times but it was all during periods of experimentation of "oh poo poo can i dodge like this/can i parry this/what if i try attacking during this". it's the first boss to ever make me instantly go "i think i could royal guard this" so i did and it was great. royal guard is something i've never really messed with in 3 or 4 but in 5 it feels fantastic.

the first new devil arm you unlock (cavaliere) is INCREDIBLE OH MY GODDDD like i knew it was coming having seen the trailers but i absolutely love using this weapon. it's overpowered as heck imo-- does tons of damage, gives you loads of style, and has loving super armor jesus christ it's so strong

tldr i love my crazy pizza-loving cowboy uncle

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Flytrap posted:

Also if you read Morrison's notes he mentions that he sometimes finds Dante and Lady drunk off their rear end dourly muttering about killing their family members. They're both kinda hosed up by it, but they hide it behind bravado.

Yeah for all the goofiness that is front and centre that this series is I do like that they play some low-key details like revenge screwing you up straight

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
For the deluxe edition yesterday and after putting a few hours on it, I can say two things: game is awesome as hell and I have no loving idea what I'm doing with Nero.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

For the deluxe edition yesterday and after putting a few hours on it, I can say two things: game is awesome as hell and I have no loving idea what I'm doing with Nero.

Nero never clicked for me until i got the Exceed timing down and remembered to hit circle every now and then to fire rocket punches

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Gunder posted:

What review is this pulled from lmao

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
I'm just happy that Vergil basically pulled a Vegeta and didn't have to be put down due to an uncompromising and all-consuming lust for power, although it came pretty close. It was cool to see that V harbors regrets over Vergil's past, as between 3 and 4 there's only the barest indication that he's not as straight-forward as he presents himself to be. I do wonder though whether his grand plan was to separate knowing Urizen would eat the fruit and then somehow rejoin with V to make Vergil stronger; or if that was just a happy coincidence and he was so desperate to survive at the time he separated that he saw it as his only recourse.

Also Nero is a good strong boy who knows what's important. :unsmith:

Also also game loving owns holy poo poo Devil May Cry 5!!! :blastu:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Maybe it's just me but I don't like the fact that the "4th" weapon you get as Dante gives you these weird fuckin ghost swords and takes away Shredder as a button move, moving it to a combo, feels like I'd never get it out fast enough now. Kind of hoping I get the option to use the other sword again but if not, whatever, just a minor nitpick since it seems this
kind of remixes the upgrade in Swordmaster in a weird way.

Wondered why the 3 Dudes chapter was tough and then realized it's just a loving gauntlet of 3 tough battle arenas and no boss lol . For some reason my achilles heel is ALWAYS those guys with axes and my 2 lone deaths so far are from them. Also I hadn't noticed the enemy spawner things til like a minute later which is my fault, whoops doing more work than I'm supposed to. Also I think choosing Nero was probably the hardest route versus V/Dante.

Gunder posted:

"overly technical in the wrong ways" is more fitting on DmC, a game where you not only can only hurt certain enemies with specific weapons(!?) but also have to hold down two loving triggers at once just to use alt weapons + lock on, and that's because lock-on wasn't even in the original release

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

DLC Inc posted:

Maybe it's just me but I don't like the fact that the "4th" weapon you get as Dante gives you these weird fuckin ghost swords and takes away Shredder as a button move, moving it to a combo, feels like I'd never get it out fast enough now. Kind of hoping I get the option to use the other sword again but if not, whatever, just a minor nitpick since it seems this
kind of remixes the upgrade in Swordmaster in a weird way.

This gets solved post game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

K8.0 posted:

This gets solved post game.

nice, thanks! still have no idea what else is going to be in store for me after the main game is over. Everything you unlock i.e. skills/orbs/weapons carry over to the other difficulties from the start or do you still need to canonically acquire poo poo? Like would doing the next tier of difficulty mean I could use Cavaliere with Dante from the get-go?