Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

jobson groeth posted:

Racist trash is actually a worse person than you thought.

Ah, good to know her "best friend" is in a horribly abusive relationship with the same racist who almost ruined their trip too... but I saw it coming with how controlling that rear end in a top hat seemed. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

oscarthewilde posted:

My rear end in a top hat crushed his hopes and dreams

This whole story is amazing on several levels from start to finish and please make this the new thread title. :chanpop:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Me [20sF] with my scientologist SO [30sM] of 3 years won't stop giving all his money to the church.

quote:

My bf is a scientologist and has been his entire adult life. He told me about this early on in our relationship and I was fine with it because people in my family have alternative beliefs as well (not scientology) and that's never impacted my relationship with them so I figured scientology would be the same with my BF. That has been the case for most of our relationship outside of him encouraging me to take classes at the church, but I've made it clear to him that I'm not interested in scientology or any other religion and I never will be.

He was in a large amount of debt to the church (never told me an exact figure, he compared it to student loans) and worked overtime basically our entire relationship while living very frugally to pay it off. He did and I was so happy because I thought that we'd be able to finally start living better and get a house etc. He makes high five figures per year and could live much more comfortably than he currently does if he wanted to. I make about a third of what he does.

The problem is that as soon as he paid off his debt to the church he immediately took on new debt by enrolling in more classes. Literally all he does is work and go to church. His personality has changed since he's been spending more time there and he's become a lot more rigid and intolerant of certain things he was more relaxed about in the past. For example he's completely against the use of any medication, even a Tylenol for a headache. Somehow alcohol is okay, though. In the past he would light heartedly poke fun at me for taking certain prescription drugs but now he doesn't even want them in the house and he's making more and more of an issue out of it. He's gone from frugal to miserly and wants to cancel absolutely everything that isn't essential including tv and internet. I said no way and he said fine, then I can pay for 100% of those bills. We don't do anything fun together any more because he doesn't have the time or the money.

The thing is I love him and I don't want to leave. An ultimatum isn't an option because he has a serious persecution complex surrounding his religion, and rightfully so because people have been openly hostile towards him for it. I just don't know how to bring up issues surrounding scientology without making him feel attacked and I know if it comes to it he'll choose the church over me. I would appreciate an outside perspective on this! Is there any option outside of an ultimatum I'll likely lose?

TL;DR: bf is a scientologist and I'm not. Money issues. What do?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Me [20sF] with my scientologist SO [30sM] of 3 years won't stop giving all his money to the church.

http://www.xenu.net

Hopefully that’s like the first reply.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
"I can't break up with him or make him choose, he'd hate that!"

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Lol at a Scientologist thinking they were being unfairly persecuted

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Power Khan posted:

Have I ruined my chances by being too competitive?
[new]
TL;DR: Have I [24F] ruined my chances with my date [26M] by beating him at arm wrestling?

Hey guys,

Throwaway as my friend knows my username and knows the guy in question.

So.. last night I hooked up with a friend of a friend, I've liked him for a while and he asked me on a date. He's kind of skinny but tall and I lift 5x a week so am reasonably strong. I'm tall but a few inches shorter than him. Just telling you this for context, I wasn't really thinking about this at the time. I try not to size up my dates.

Anyway the date was great, went to a really nice restaurant I'd never been to before, watched an awesome band and he ended up coming back to mine.

The next morning he made a comment about my muscles and was joking about how he could take me in an arm wrestle. I'm furiously competitive so obviously I accepted straight away, wanting to prove him wrong. With him being a guy but me working out a lot I expected it to be close, so on the count of 3 I pushed as hard as I could. Unfortunately this caused me to pin his arm down within about 2 seconds. Not going to lie, I was pretty happy I won but immediately after it was super awkward. I really didn't mean to embarrass him and I do feel bad about it. He muttered 'wow, you're really strong' and left shortly after. I'm really not sure how to feel, I don't think I mind but I'm almost certain he will. It's a shame as we had a really good time together.

What do you think guys? Have I blown it? Is there any way of salvaging this?

Have any of you ladies out there had a similar experience?

Guys how would you feel in that situation? What could someone in my position do to make it less awkward?

Lol, then lol again at, "I don't think I mind." She minds.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Haifisch posted:

Watch Leah Remini's Scientology and the Aftermath and realize this is what you are signing your future kids up for if you decide to stay.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Haifisch posted:

That was her only post on that account, 3 years ago. :rip:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pirate Radar posted:

I will always support artists in their art. She should do it.

I don't shitpost for the sake of my adoring fans but I would still like to thank you for your support

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Haifisch posted:

Those ages are so vague because she's 21 at most and he's 38 at least, aren't they?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Lol, then lol again at, "I don't think I mind." She minds.

Why would you want to salvage something with a manbaby that pouts when he's beaten by a girl?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Haifisch posted:

Simple alternative belief Scientology.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

I want the beefy muscle woman to date me tbh

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for “tattling” on my boyfriend to his mother.

My boyfriend and I have been together for 5 years, and things were great until our daughter was born 6 months ago.

Since then, our relationship has gone down the tubes because he refuses to care for her. He’ll sit on the couch and play video games and he’ll only tend to her while she’s screaming if I tell him to. Even then, unless I’m in the middle of doing something right then, he’ll ask me why I can’t just do it instead. On top of that, he only holds her if I hand her to him while he’s watching tv and she’s calm. He stays up late playing video games but still won’t get her when she cries, so I have to get up with her. We’ve talked about it multiple times, to the extent that I’ve told him I can’t handle it anymore, and he improves for a week and then goes back to his old ways.

I’m honestly considering filing for custody but tried one last ditch effort. I put the baby in his gaming room and told him I was going out. In reality, I just went to the gas station because I felt like I couldn’t trust him, and sure enough when I got back the baby was screaming and he was ignoring her. I took a ~10 second video of this and after I comforted the baby, I sent it to his mother with an explanation of what’s going on.

She called him and absolutely reamed him for it and now he’s upset with me for involving his mother and for “taking a video out of context.” I’m at my wits end and will probably leave him at this point, but AITA for sending the video?

Edit: the pregnancy was an accident but my boyfriend wanted me to keep it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That is loving it, Im investing my money in producing romcoms where characters get abortions in situations like this and then go on to lead happier healthier lives

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for “tattling” on my boyfriend to his mother.

i would love to see the "context" of a man ignoring his screaming child that somehow makes this okay.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i would love to see the "context" of a man ignoring his screaming child that somehow makes this okay.

The child is 21 years old and upset that you filmed it ignoring its own child to play videogames

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for taking bets at a wedding as to what year the couple would divorce? (not as bad as it sounds...I hope!)

This happened over the weekend and I feel pretty bad about how it went down, but my intentions were honorable here. I was the Best Man at my pal's wedding.

I got the idea to start up a bet and collect a pool from other people attending the wedding. The basic idea is that participants guess a year in which the couple will divorce and put in a certain amount of money (minimum bet $50), and IF they end up divorcing during that year whoever guessed that year wins the whole pot.

So for example, if 2 people guesses the year 2025, if the couple actually divorces in 2025, those 2 people would split the whole pot. (We raised a little over 3 grand total, so like $1500 each in this example.)

BUT, if the couple is still married after the latest bet in the pool (somebody put 2040) then the couple gets the entire pot.

So that was kind of the twist that I meant to convey to them, that yeah sure it was a real bet, but that if they stayed together they could expect 3 grand in 2041.

When I was explaining the bet during my best man speech that was how I was going to end, kind of with a charming/corny line that "But we all know none of us are going to be winning the bet, because you two will be together forever, so you can look forward to cashing in in 2041!"

Yes, if they actually divorced and if somebody in the betting pool nailed the right year we would follow up and that person would get the winnings. But I don't think these two will get divorced, they're perfect for each other.

That was supposed to be my intended message, it was supposed to be a kind of fun silly thing.

Before I could even get to that part the bride started crying and the parents and bridesmaids and all that were almost yelling at me, and the groom (my best friend of decades) was furious.

Even later that night when I explained to him my intent he wouldn't even listen to me. The bride especially apparently "feels betrayed by everyone" who participated in the bet. Even though I explained that I had misled all of them by saying the bride and groom knew about it in advance that wouldn't make them less angry.

So needless to say I feel extremely bad. But I meant it all as a nice gesture and I feel if they could just see they have a near certainty of getting a free 3 grand in 2041 they could see this intention. I think by then it will be a fond memory and a "look back on it laugh" kind of thing when we get to the 2040's, plus a nice little bonus of a 3 grand prize.

I keep trying to explain this but my friend isn't hearing it, especially when I told him that I still had to follow up with whoever "wins" on the off-chance they do get divorced. But I really doubt they'd ever get divorced.

I know I went about it the wrong way but I don't feel I was the A here, but I want to see what reddit thinks.

tl;dr - Collected bets to see what year my friends would divorce at their wedding, but if they don't get divorced they win, I meant it to be nice/sweet but they are both furious at me.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

What are things that are funny in movies and devestating in real life? Thank you, Ill take potent potables for 300

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
It's generally frowned upon for the best man to try to torpedo the marriage before the wedding is even over

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

It's like that classic 90's rom com, "Honey I blew up the wedding"

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for taking bets at a wedding as to what year the couple would divorce? (not as bad as it sounds...I hope!)

my grandfather on my dad's side put $1000 down as a bet my parents' marriage wouldn't make it five years. none of us talk to him unless absolutely necessary because he is a hateful lump.

(they divorced after 20 years)

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Smirking_Serpent posted:

The bride especially apparently "feels betrayed by everyone" who participated in the bet. Even though I explained that I had misled all of them by saying the bride and groom knew about it in advance that wouldn't make them less angry.

oh word???

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

jobson groeth posted:

Racist trash is actually a worse person than you thought.

quote:

yes the group and I have noted and brought up to her his abusive ways and she doesn’t see it because it’s not overt. speaking to her alone will be an issue/impossible at least for this trip because he will be with her 24/7 and i know for a fact he reads her texts. no matter how this ends I’m always going to be there for her.

Christ, who even has the time and energy for this poo poo?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

M.C. McMic posted:

Christ, who even has the time and energy for this poo poo?

Abusers dont usually have a lot of hobbies that arent abusing people. Thats how they get their 10,000 hours

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I (20M) slept with one my senior managers (42F). She is pregnant and wants to keep the child. She asked for my permission.

quote:

I just so happened to sleep with one of my senior managers (Claire) after a company night out a while back. I had never known her beforehand. I'm just a temporary employee at my company and she a senior manager. We work in completely different areas. She called me out of the blue using the work email. I seriously thought I made a major gently caress up as my direct manager had no clue what it was about.

I remembered her from the other night so I was incredibly anxious. She closed the door and immediately started crying. She is a very beautiful women. I seriously thought she was in her late twenties. She explained that she was pregnant and she wanted my permission to keep the child. She has failed to get pregnant with her previous partners and 5 IVF rounds had failed to produce any results. I know it's her body and she can do whatever she wants. However, she has asked for my permission and it makes me really really anxious. She asked me to think about it but I don't have anyone to talk to about it.

I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to deny her the best chance at becoming a mother but i'm also a bit apprehensive at being a father. I'm not a sperm donor so I have a responsibility for the child legally speaking.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Haifisch posted:

I (20M) slept with one my senior managers (42F). She is pregnant and wants to keep the child. She asked for my permission.

Dude, you just scored yourself a sugar momma what is there to think about?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Smirking_Serpent posted:

When I was explaining the bet during my best man speech

Absolutely never has any story containing this phrasing ended well.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

You should basically never allow the best man a speech at a wedding, nor should there be any speeches at any family event. They end in disaster to frequently to be worth it.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

therobit posted:

You should basically never allow the best man a speech at a wedding, nor should there be any speeches at any family event. They end in disaster to frequently to be worth it.

Yea, but if Bilbo never gave that speech then it wouldn't have set off the events leading to the destruction of the One Ring and triumph over evil.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

therobit posted:

I completely disagree with this based on an extended family wedding drunk bride speech that it still seared into our collective memories from over a decade ago. All of the forgettable ones as well as the ones that caused just minor problems are well worth the glory that was her incoherent, drunken rambling while having an excellent view of both sets of parents and the wedding party, all of them unable and unwilling to be the one who put her out of her misery, all looking to each other for strength - for the one strong one - who never turned up until the bulbbery, sobbing, tipping over and spilling a drink end of it all.

This made up for the groom's family's "surprise gift" which was some creepy dude in a phantom costume going around from table to table singing to people. I'm pretty sure the bride was loaded BECAUSE of this wonderful gift she had to endure.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Haifisch posted:

That's a nice humblebrag about having mega-potent sperm

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Motronic posted:

This made up for the groom's family's "surprise gift" which was some creepy dude in a phantom costume going around from table to table singing to people.
Like, Phantom of the Opera? Or just a sheet with eyeholes in it?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Feel like this story is a humblebrag about potent sperm

therobit posted:

Dude, you just scored yourself a sugar momma what is there to think about?

I mean, child support and what ever paternal feelings he may have.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Motronic posted:

I completely disagree with this based on an extended family wedding drunk bride speech that it still seared into our collective memories from over a decade ago. All of the forgettable ones as well as the ones that caused just minor problems are well worth the glory that was her incoherent, drunken rambling while having an excellent view of both sets of parents and the wedding party, all of them unable and unwilling to be the one who put her out of her misery, all looking to each other for strength - for the one strong one - who never turned up until the bulbbery, sobbing, tipping over and spilling a drink end of it all.

This made up for the groom's family's "surprise gift" which was some creepy dude in a phantom costume going around from table to table singing to people. I'm pretty sure the bride was loaded BECAUSE of this wonderful gift she had to endure.

From the standpoint of the person planning and hosting an event though, this is externalizing the benefits and internalizing the cost. Which is the exact opposite of how you want to do it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wheatpuppy posted:

Like, Phantom of the Opera? Or just a sheet with eyeholes in it?

Yes, Phantom of the Opera. He was making his best attempt at gliding across the room with the music blaring, mic in hand singing to individual tables and sometimes individuals. He was not a good singer.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
My fiance(F27) just introduced me to her Dad(M48) and he hates me(M30)

quote:

Made this account because my fiance knows my main handle and is active in the other relationship subreddit

My fiance and I have been dating for two years, she met my family after a few months of dating because of how attracted and in love I was towards her, I wasn't much of a relationship guy before meeting her so all my friends and family were excited to meet her right away. She met all my family members and they absolutely loved her, I was happy and thought she might reciprocate and introduce me to hers, but she didn't. I proposed on Valentine's Day, she said yes but for us to start setting a wedding date and actually start the planning, I'd have to get her Dad's blessing, I'd be meeting her family for the first time. In short, I didn't get her father's blessing, instead he made comments about how I wasn't good enough for her since unlike her I am not an Ivy grad, and said I have nothing to offer her, he went on to tell me that he wouldn't let her marry a man that would sell drugs and start fights with the police. I was absolutely floored by these comments, my fiance is biracial, her father is white and her mother is black, they're still happily married and I wasn't expecting racially charged comments from him because I am Black, his daughter is black as well.

My fiance told me that she's never brought a black guy home and that the past two years, she was trying to gauge how her father would react and prepare me for it, but also says that our relationship depends on his approval because of her inheritance as well as trust fund that she'll probably lose if she upsets her father. How do I make him see past the color of my skin? I am a lawyer and I don't feel ashamed of my upbringing or who I am, but I love my fiance and am sure she's the only one for me

Tl;dr My fiance's father disapproves of our relationship because of my race, I am black and my fiance is biracial, her father is white and her mother is black, how do I prove to him that I am worthy of his daughter and change his mind?

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

Motronic posted:

Yes, Phantom of the Opera. He was making his best attempt at gliding across the room with the music blaring, mic in hand singing to individual tables and sometimes individuals. He was not a good singer.

I was really hoping for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Van Kraken posted:

I was really hoping for

That would have been better in every way.