Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

wandler20 posted:

The Steelers should've called Brown's bluff and not traded him at all. He said he would quit and if he stuck to his guns the Steelers wouldn't be stuck with his $19m salary and wouldn't have taken a massive cap hit for a couple mediocre draft picks.

Of course maybe that's not how this all works.

No way. What would have happened is they would have started fining him until he showed up to work. But of course, having a guy in your locker room that does not want to be there is the definition of "toxic".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Vengarr posted:

No way. What would have happened is they would have started fining him until he showed up to work. But of course, having a guy in your locker room that does not want to be there is the definition of "toxic".

I get that part of it. But didn't he say he'd quit if he didn't get what he wanted? If he retired, wouldn't the Steelers be off the hook for his contract? Of course he'd never walk away from $20m.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I hate the Steelers, but I want the Raiders under Gruden to fail so... I'm conflicted??

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I don't think getting Bell and AB is going to cause Gruden to succeed, so this works both ways

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

wandler20 posted:

The Steelers should've called Brown's bluff and not traded him at all. He said he would quit and if he stuck to his guns the Steelers wouldn't be stuck with his $19m salary and wouldn't have taken a massive cap hit for a couple mediocre draft picks.

Of course maybe that's not how this all works.

i think presumably "quit" means gently caress with them the same way bell did.

i already forgot what the cap details were about sitting out the entire season but if the steelers kept brown on the roster they'd be due his base salary and roster bonuses (although they can fine him), and his cap hit would be 1MM more than what they have now with him gone.

and on a more general note, i'm not sure what kind of ramifications bell/brown is going to have on the player/team dynamics, but i'd predict more of a basketball style agent/gm relationship and maybe more opt-outs or player options? you can poo poo on "optics" as much as you want but when the salary cap drastically increases year over year compared to real costs elsewhere maybe players will take less money to not get poo poo on from all sides. there just isn't a power structure in place like the NBA. it feels like new territory for the sport.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/Akbar_Gbaja/status/1104781162260586496

Bell2Baltimore would be :discourse:

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1104834590592696322

Now do Carr

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
I like that move by the Jets (depending on what they sent). He’s a great player when he’s healthy.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Yeah how is Carr not in Denver yet and how is like Jeff Garcia still in retirement?

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Osemele has dropped off after getting injured a lot and dropping a ton of weight in an effort to be healthier. I'd be shocked if its for more than a 5th or so. This lets Gabe Jackson move back to left guard where he's much better

yup

https://twitter.com/Jerrymcd/status/1104838182804176897

Blitz of 404 Error fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 10, 2019

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
I’m fine with that

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Justin Houston was cut.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Blitz7x posted:

Osemele has dropped off after getting injured a lot and dropping a ton of weight in an effort to be healthier. I'd be shocked if its for more than a 5th or so. This lets Gabe Jackson move back to left guard where he's much better

yup

https://twitter.com/Jerrymcd/status/1104838182804176897

osmele is the difference between Bryant and AB

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

a neat cape posted:

osmele is the difference between Bryant and AB

Some guy on reddit fwiw

quote:

Somebody with an inside source mentioned last night that the Raiders tried to send Osemele and their 3rd to Pittsburgh for AB but the Steelers preferred the 5th round pick instead.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Chiefs just released Justin Houston.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
very excited to see how the Raiders trade for a disgruntled, elite wide receiver who bailed on his team at the end of the season and wears #84 pans out this time.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

WHOOPS posted:

very excited to see how the Raiders trade for a disgruntled, elite wide receiver who bailed on his team at the end of the season and wears #84 pans out this time.

AB and Randy Moss' work ethic are a bit different

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I'm not sure a hall of famer and a future hall of famer have significantly different work ethics. You can't be accidentally as good as they are, or half rear end it.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
As much as I hate the shitshow that is my team, I cannot disparage AB's talent. He's by far and away the best offensive skill player the Steelers have ever had. That said, it remains to be seen if Carr is physically capable of taking advantage of what makes AB extraordinary. Does he have the both the brain and arm to throw the ball to a spot regardless of the route AB appears to be running? Can he create from outside of the pocket when the play goes to poo poo?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I'm not sure a hall of famer and a future hall of famer have significantly different work ethics. You can't be accidentally as good as they are, or half rear end it.

Randy did half-rear end it though. A lot.

AB is an insanely hard worker while Randy was a genetic freak of nature

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

No Butt Stuff posted:

Chiefs just released Justin Houston.
I think Tennessee would make sense as a landing spot for Houston. He knows the system already and they need an OLB.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

As much as I hate the shitshow that is my team, I cannot disparage AB's talent. He's by far and away the best offensive skill player the Steelers have ever had. That said, it remains to be seen if Carr is physically capable of taking advantage of what makes AB extraordinary. Does he have the both the brain and arm to throw the ball to a spot regardless of the route AB appears to be running? Can he create from outside of the pocket when the play goes to poo poo?

Lol brown doesnt want out.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

a neat cape posted:

Randy did half-rear end it though. A lot.

AB is an insanely hard worker while Randy was a genetic freak of nature
Yeah AB is in the TO camp of nutty WR's

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

LiquidFriend posted:

I think Tennessee would make sense as a landing spot for Houston. He knows the system already and they need an OLB.

I'd be down.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LiquidFriend posted:

I don't want this to happen at all but the Raiders have a need and cap space (and he may not be all that expensive) and they know what he can do.

And for Gruden, he's old.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

I don't want this to happen at all but the Raiders have a need and cap space (and he may not be all that expensive) and they know what he can do.

And for Gruden, he's old.
Maybe, but I would place the probability of that pretty low right now. They do have Arden Key and 3 first round picks in a edgerush rich class, but that can all change with a trade for the #1 pick.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I'd love a Houston and Suggs pass rushing duo in Baltimore. They'd only be able to track down QBs older than 30 but when they do those guys would die.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Houston's knee isn't going to last much longer

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Gruden loves GILFs.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/jeffphowe/status/1104931515782311942

Water is wet etc

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Sorry that spot is already reserved for Andy Isabella

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I just want whatever brings me the most entertainment

This x 1000.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

He's going to the Lions; apparently Matt Patricia isn't done accumulating former Patriots :v:

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

I mean this HAD to be the issue, because if not every team in the NFL with cap space would have traded a 3rd and 5th for AB and that contract (3 years with no guaranteed money).

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Comedy option is the brown grade goes through and Gruden flips Carr for Big Ben.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Let the dumb poo poo commence!

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1105138576373755906

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

I don't think the trade includes Dante Scarnecchia though.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

sean10mm posted:

I don't think the trade includes Dante Scarnecchia though.

Scarnecchia to Tom Cable

Yikes

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Trent Brown flushed outta the Niners because he has the work ethic of a toad. I'm sure this will work out well for the Raiders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Charley Casserly just had an old man rant on Josh Rosen. It was bad and Charley should not be on TV.