Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I have quite literally not felt this insulted after someone said that Mikko Alatalo was the interpreter of the deepest feelings of the Finnish people.

To imply that I've ever read a Harry Potter book is just scandalous!

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

https://youtu.be/hwB793j1JMg

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Are they decimating him or what?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yes that is the joke

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Karate Bastard posted:

Are they decimating him or what?

Congratulations.

Sagebrush posted:

yes that is the joke

:rip: Artemisius Tridentatus

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sponge Baathist posted:

I thought this was a Peter Mohrbacher Angelarium picture at first. He's got his name and art on some magic the gathering cards but he's nowhere near as famous as his mom who wrote this book:

Step 1: Take her underwear off you idiot.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

He's a number on a list?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

The Macedonians used to “decimate” someone by having five people, each with a club, hit the perpetrator each twice. This, equaling ten strikes. Much later and after many defeats to the Athenians did they realize they could conserve man-hours by simply having one person strike the perpetrator with the club ten times. This lack of mathematical comprehension was one of the main reasons they ultimately lost their kingdom to the Persians.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Decimating is when there's ten guys at once

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

They would use a specific formation around the perpetrator, with assigned places. This is interestingly how the term “decimal place” was coined.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Blind Rasputin posted:

They would use a specific formation around the perpetrator, with assigned places. This is interestingly how the term “decimal place” was coined.

I don't believe even a fraction of this

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

The Bloop posted:

the facts might be a little inaccurate, but the intenth is correct.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

The Bloop posted:

Yeah, beats me.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

FactsAreUseless posted:

Decimating is when there's ten guys at once

That's a hell of a Jeremy Kyle episode

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

my elementary school history teacher told us that when a legion had been really bad they would do a more severe form of decimation, where the entire legion would be dissolved by killing nine out of ten men, then dividing the remaining 10% up among other units to spread the word and keep the rest of the army in line

i have no idea if that's true, sounds like something someone a little too into the fascist bits of ancient rome would come up with

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I am pretty sure that is entirely untrue except maybe that one time.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sounds like a deece way of covering up a really really embarrassing defeat if you ask me

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Data Graham posted:

Sounds like a deece way of covering up a really really embarrassing defeat if you ask me

No

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
But which position would you have to stand in to remain alive?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

somekindofguy posted:

But which position would you have to stand in to remain alive?

General.

A GODDAMN TYPO
Oct 22, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

my elementary school history teacher told us that when a legion had been really bad they would do a more severe form of decimation, where the entire legion would be dissolved by killing nine out of ten men, then dividing the remaining 10% up among other units to spread the word and keep the rest of the army in line

i have no idea if that's true, sounds like something someone a little too into the fascist bits of ancient rome would come up with

Other way around - one out of every ten was killed.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Didn't the Legions have a pretty powerful position re: the leadership of Rome? Like, they usually put them into office and took them out violently if they weren't big fans. Killing almost all of them seems like a good way to get sacked.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
broke: 10
woke: 9
bespoke: 8

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Jon Joe posted:

broke: 10
woke: 9
bespoke: 8

Holy loving poo poo :five:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Blind Rasputin posted:

The Macedonians used to “decimate” someone by having five people, each with a club, hit the perpetrator

forbidden meme!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Brawnfire posted:

Didn't the Legions have a pretty powerful position re: the leadership of Rome? Like, they usually put them into office and took them out violently if they weren't big fans. Killing almost all of them seems like a good way to get sacked.

That was the Praetorian Guard. You weren't allowed to have legions anywhere near Rome except for the legions that belonged to Rome itself. It varies a lot over the course of Roman history as that's pretty long but that's who you're thinking of; they guarded Rome, the Emperor, and the Senate and were hugely influential because of that. Generally speaking they were tasked with keeping the government and/or social elites safe. Needless to say that meant you wanted to be on their good side as they had a tendency to get...involved...in politics. Given that murdering politicians was basically the Roman national sport you can imagine what that sometimes entailed.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

DontMockMySmock posted:

forbidden meme!

:eyepop:

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Jerry Cotton posted:

If some Jews weren't supportive of a fascist regime in Israel, Israel literally wouldn't have a fascist regime.

If some Muslims weren't in support of terrorist attacks and a party whose stated goal is to wipe Israel off the map, Hamas wouldn't be a thing

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
So if some people weren't in support of problems, we wouldn't have them.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
But what if some other people were in support of different problems?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That was the Praetorian Guard. You weren't allowed to have legions anywhere near Rome except for the legions that belonged to Rome itself. It varies a lot over the course of Roman history as that's pretty long but that's who you're thinking of; they guarded Rome, the Emperor, and the Senate and were hugely influential because of that. Generally speaking they were tasked with keeping the government and/or social elites safe. Needless to say that meant you wanted to be on their good side as they had a tendency to get...involved...in politics. Given that murdering politicians was basically the Roman national sport you can imagine what that sometimes entailed.

I really wish politicians still murdered eachother. Now they just linger and fester and spread

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I for one support problems.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I'm all for kisses and hugs, why aren't those more of a thing in conflict hotspots where thousands of years of bloody conflict intertwine with a threat of terrorist violence and ongoing discrimination and institutionalized dispossession of entire peoples :jerry:

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
we need a final solution to the wait gently caress

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
What if wait gently caress is the final solution? Both of those seem like reasonable options to me.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Well, ensuring that you have appropriate consent before you engage in sexual intercourse is important, so the final solution would entail a reliable method for determining the correct amount of time to wait before gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

lol how bad did you have to be, like getting high and missing the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest