Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
You might also be losing some cooling efficiency with those normal tiles in the middle and I don't think I see any temp shift tiles behind the wheeze and the bottom gas pumps. Not sure if that lack of heat transfer is made up for later in the process or not.

Edit: and radiant pipes down there as well. That may be just me going overboard, I never mathed out exactly how it works. I just throw everything like that at it and let it go.

bird food bathtub fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

bird food bathtub posted:

So how would I use sweepers and auto loaders/conveyors to put food in to a refrigerator until it is full and then put the excess in to food containers in a chlorine storage pit? So far it's all backing up inside the loader when the refrigerator is full and sends a logic signal to disable the loader.

I tried the same thing. Best I could do was schedule automation so it would fill the container briefly then shut off, and the second sweeper would turn on right before

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Is there some reason why my rancher set at Ranching highest priority won't go get dreckos that have been wrangled? It's not in his task list even though the Shearing station is set at 9 priority and the room is a Stable.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Theres no visible critter dropoff in that screenshot would be my first guess. They'll only wrangle when they have someplace to move them to.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Mazz posted:

Theres no visible critter dropoff in that screenshot would be my first guess. They'll only wrangle when they have someplace to move them to.

And moving a wrangled critter is storage, iirc.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Mazz posted:

DUH. Thanks!!!

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Well, this has been my best run so far. Got mostly adequate mushrooms, a couple SPOMS, and a bunch of atmo suits, but now everything is falling apart.

I've been look at all of Mazz's screen shots, so I'm probably trying to build too much too soon instead of just getting some rough and lovely running in my base first, then expanding out.

E: about how many cycles in should I be getting my ranching up an running? Seems like it can take a while to breed some of the varieties of hatches and drekos.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 9, 2019

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I think my main issue with the game is the transition from mid game, where the base becomes a lot more abstract looking instead a bunch of well defined and laid out rooms. Instead it becomes more of an exercise in min maxing and creating a giant self sustaining system rather than an actual “base”. Which is fun and challenging and all that but I want to create something that looks more functional and “realistic” if that makes any sense at all :haw:

Speaking of I wonder if Satisfactory might be the ticket for me..

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Demon_Corsair posted:

Well, this has been my best run so far. Got mostly adequate mushrooms, a couple SPOMS, and a bunch of atmo suits, but now everything is falling apart.

I've been look at all of Mazz's screen shots, so I'm probably trying to build too much too soon instead of just getting some rough and lovely running in my base first, then expanding out.

E: about how many cycles in should I be getting my ranching up an running? Seems like it can take a while to breed some of the varieties of hatches and drekos.

Well how specifically is stuff falling apart? Can probably help with that. As for ranching, I view it as a luxury/efficiency upgrade. Stuff that ranching does can certainly help, but is usually not a solution to "well poo poo everything's dying" types of problems. What specifically are you looking to get out of ranching? When you're in survival mode there's probably better answers available.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

priznat posted:

I think my main issue with the game is the transition from mid game, where the base becomes a lot more abstract looking instead a bunch of well defined and laid out rooms. Instead it becomes more of an exercise in min maxing and creating a giant self sustaining system rather than an actual “base”. Which is fun and challenging and all that but I want to create something that looks more functional and “realistic” if that makes any sense at all :haw:

Speaking of I wonder if Satisfactory might be the ticket for me..

Satisfactory looks amazing, yeah.

Right now, I have a map seed with four hot water outputs. 2 steam geysers, a water volcano and a hot steam geyser. I have so much drat water it's absurd.

Any tips on converting a lot of clean water into polluted water?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Well how specifically is stuff falling apart? Can probably help with that. As for ranching, I view it as a luxury/efficiency upgrade. Stuff that ranching does can certainly help, but is usually not a solution to "well poo poo everything's dying" types of problems. What specifically are you looking to get out of ranching? When you're in survival mode there's probably better answers available.

I had made a second SPOM but the position meant that I couldn't feed them both water properly so either one side backed up or the other didn't get enough, or both. I kept loving up my attempts at a gas loop, I breached a hydrogen vent and dumped a ton of gas every where. Some how despite have what should have been adequate mushrooms I was having a food shortage.

So nothing catastrophic, but a ton of stuff that needs to be rebuilt. And at that point I always just restart to try new idea.

Seems like they are a good renewable source for coal and plastic

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

What is the best kind of piping to transport steam towards my rocket? Insulated ceramic? I’ve waited 80 cycles for this cool steam vent* to come back online and now I want to get flying.

*probably not ideal, but it was the closest thing to my rocket platform, outside of sacrificing the ice biome that has my sleet wheat farm

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
It took me a lot of games to get to the point I can build complex poo poo “quickly and efficiently” so loving up is absolutely part of that cycle. You gently caress up and try to figure out how, next time you try to do it differently or fix that mistake till you gently caress up something new and the cycle continues.

I started building my bases in the starting biome in a nice little organized area but growing out into the mid game was also a problem for me, so I started to play with ideas in that transition. There was a couple 500 cycle games that didn’t pan out into anything during this. I basically settled on my giant horizontal base idea and somehow lucked into close to the the perfect seed for my design layout wise which facilitated the whole thing.

There’s kind of a transition in the game, at least for some/me, when I stopped even thinking about the early game stuff and planned right from the beginning how to lay out my giant setup, but there was likely 20-25 restarts or redos between my current game and my first. Hell, my big Spaceprison map is on its third version simply as I refine what I want to do over the long term.

So yeah don’t be afraid to gently caress poo poo up and restart, it’s the best way to figure out what you want to do better. One piece of advice to make it easier is make a new manual save every 100 cycles or at big transition moments, so if you gently caress up you don’t have to restart at zero and redo all the tedious early stuff to get rolling.

Also all of this only matters if you are about a neat little organized base. Most of the game isn’t built on you having this perfectly square mega base and you can see/do everything just building ever outward so long as you get how heat/gas/etc will work.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 10, 2019

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm just not managing the transition to the midgame. I can watch the videos and read the posts but SPOM and temperature optimizations and the like just goes in one ear and out the other.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

RandomPauI posted:

I'm just not managing the transition to the midgame. I can watch the videos and read the posts but SPOM and temperature optimizations and the like just goes in one ear and out the other.

There’s a lot of info about this game that really fails to explain why said thing is happening or important, and some stuff just isn’t intuitive either, at least to the way different people see/comprehend things. I definitely ran into that and it’s part of why my posts are so wordy, since I just assume people don’t know any of the poo poo going in much like I didn’t.

If you have any specific questions I can try to help.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Mierenneuker posted:

What is the best kind of piping to transport steam towards my rocket? Insulated ceramic? I’ve waited 80 cycles for this cool steam vent* to come back online and now I want to get flying.

*probably not ideal, but it was the closest thing to my rocket platform, outside of sacrificing the ice biome that has my sleet wheat farm

This will probably not be a great source of steam, low temperature, you'll experience a lot of broken vents. You could try raising the temperature first with a steel thermoregulator before you pump it away, use the thermoreg to cool hyrdogen and get a start on condensing LOX, transport isn't as bad with LOX due to material quantity/density - just make sure your pipe doesn't back up, and that you don't melt your thermoregs.

Alternatively just condense it then pipe that hot water (and other hot water) to a boiler box on the surface, metal tiles, some tempshift plates, and run an oil coolant loop through your bunker doors/tiles. Hot regolith will heat the oil which you can dump into water/steam through radiant pipes. And build it as close to your rocket as possible to reduce steam loss while you heat the vent (unless you build the vent out of recently mined hot mafic).

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I think for me the problem is that people think that everyone knows certain concepts like thermal conductivity and then goes on from there instead of realizing that there are people playing this game that have never taken a physics/engineering/chemistry class and are starting from the bottom (me). I do totally realize that starting from where I am takes a lot more time than if you assume everyone knows all of this stuff, but I do wish that there were some very specific video tutorials on the basics of stuff used in the game.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
It took me a shameful amount of wondering “where the gently caress is the hydrogen this glossy drecko stable tutorial sucks poo poo” before it finally hit me:

sometimes it’s harder on the duplicant

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Someone is a lying liar or they changed it since then, but I thought that when you cool an oil refinery, it's output is variable and will produce petroleum equal to the temperature of the refinery.

This is not the case. Petroleum comes out at a flat 70C exactly like the electrolyzer. My entire cooling setup is now shitfucked :suicide:

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

Maybe you already answered this but:

1) Whats your current base look like?
2) What problems are you having?
3) What would you like to do next?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

User0015 posted:

Someone is a lying liar or they changed it since then, but I thought that when you cool an oil refinery, it's output is variable and will produce petroleum equal to the temperature of the refinery.

This is not the case. Petroleum comes out at a flat 70C exactly like the electrolyzer. My entire cooling setup is now shitfucked :suicide:

That sounds like a bug, since the entire reason different metals require different levels of energy to refine is that the coolant's temperature increases by different amounts. It shouldn't output at a fixed temperature.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

enraged_camel posted:

That sounds like a bug, since the entire reason different metals require different levels of energy to refine is that the coolant's temperature increases by different amounts. It shouldn't output at a fixed temperature.

Nah he’s talking about the actual oil refinery, and I’m not sure how that works exactly. A set value sounds correct though.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
The oil refinery is always 70C petrol (the cooling would be > 70C oil -- like oil from the metal refinery). It's the petroleum generator that outputs polluted water at its own temperature.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

User0015 posted:

Satisfactory looks amazing, yeah.

Right now, I have a map seed with four hot water outputs. 2 steam geysers, a water volcano and a hot steam geyser. I have so much drat water it's absurd.

Any tips on converting a lot of clean water into polluted water?

Algae terrariums. They won't tolerate hot water though, so they're (counter-intuitively) a midgame solution once you have aquatuners & steam turbines.

If you have enough CO2, the scrubbers work, but they're slow (1kg/s). They are also temperature agnostic.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

ragzilla posted:

This will probably not be a great source of steam, low temperature, you'll experience a lot of broken vents. You could try raising the temperature first with a steel thermoregulator before you pump it away, use the thermoreg to cool hyrdogen and get a start on condensing LOX, transport isn't as bad with LOX due to material quantity/density - just make sure your pipe doesn't back up, and that you don't melt your thermoregs.

Alternatively just condense it then pipe that hot water (and other hot water) to a boiler box on the surface, metal tiles, some tempshift plates, and run an oil coolant loop through your bunker doors/tiles. Hot regolith will heat the oil which you can dump into water/steam through radiant pipes. And build it as close to your rocket as possible to reduce steam loss while you heat the vent (unless you build the vent out of recently mined hot mafic).

Thanks for the advice. Piping hot water to the surface and heating it further there does makes total sense. But like I said, I was impatient... so cool steam vent and insulated ceramic piping it was! As I've been running it for 20 cycles I still get 1-2 instances of a pipe being slightly damaged each time the vent is active. On a whole it's gotten better since I've been moving the gas pump closer to the vent and tweaking a temp sensor and a buffer timer. I need to keep an eye on the steam engine though, because if it fills up completely and the pipe starts backing up... that's a lot of ceramic wasted on repairs. But the end result is that these first two rocket launches have been a success.

Would I recommend someone else to (just) use a cool steam vent to supply a rocket? No, no, no.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
If you've dedicated that cool steam vent to the rocket, insulate the room with insulated ceramic tiles, and then put a vent after the steam engine. Once the engine is full, it will overflow to the vent and keep the pipes warm.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

insta posted:

If you've dedicated that cool steam vent to the rocket, insulate the room with insulated ceramic tiles, and then put a vent after the steam engine. Once the engine is full, it will overflow to the vent and keep the pipes warm.

I'm so glad I got it working that I didn't even think of that. I am researching that second engine and will probably retire this seed after that is done. But it'll be great for rocket launches #3 and #4 because I need that many to obtain enough research from tier 1 asteroids? Edit: Or I should just build more research modules, duh.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

insta posted:

The oil refinery is always 70C petrol (the cooling would be > 70C oil -- like oil from the metal refinery). It's the petroleum generator that outputs polluted water at its own temperature.

Damnit. My whole plan was to construct a massive cooling setup and use the extremely cold output for things. Looks like I'll have to set up a second AETN to chill the actual generators so they output extremely cold PW instead.

Also great idea on the algae terrariums. I can always flood them and use a transport setup to keep them going, until they need plunged.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

User0015 posted:

Maybe you already answered this but:

1) Whats your current base look like?
2) What problems are you having?
3) What would you like to do next?

1) I generally quit before day 50 because.
2) I know that there are things I need to do, but not the order or the mechanics and I quickly get overwhelmed. So I'll try to pick up what I can and sometimes the instructions take and sometimes they don't. So I guess
3) I would like a simple tutorial, like games used to have before things shifted over to "figure it out for yourself!"

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

RandomPauI posted:

The thing about this stuff is that it's honestly more mid-late game than midgame and it's easy to start to worry about it sooner than you really need to. Guides stress this stuff more than is really necessary, because they're experienced players who know that just setting it up this way initially is easier than trying to reconfigure an existing setup, but it's also a "running before you can walk" thing. Algae diffusers will carry you for ages and temperature is something you really don't even need to think about early on. If you haven't personally experienced the issues those guides are meant to solve, then don't worry about them. By the time you do run into those issues you'll understand the guides better anyway.

The thing about the way the game is set up is it's designed to kind of push you to keep digging around for more things. Solving one problem usually creates another so you have a natural forward momentum but it's not easy to tell how urgent any specific issue actually is. Most of the time, issues aren't as urgent as they seem so you'll want to keep an eye on them, but don't feel the need to push harder than you're comfortable handling. You will probably unlock a bunch of research stuff well before you'll have any reason to use it.

Your main concerns in the early game are going to be food and oxygen, and food is honestly more of a big deal than oxygen since it has a lead time - you need your farms to be set up well before you're in danger of running out, because it's going to take a few cycles before you get anything out of them. If you're running low on oxygen you can just plop an algae diffuser down and turn it on right away. This is not a forever solution since algae does eventually run out, but it'll last you long enough that you shouldn't feel the need to rush a switch to an electrolyzer based oxygen setup and finding an unlimited source of water.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 11, 2019

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Yeah my oxygen was running off a single oxydizer for over 100 cycles, and I only had to add a second for a short period of time before I eventually built a SPOM.

Mushrooms will last you hundreds of cycles, but I eventually graduated off it for the huge jump in morale from better food.

Cycle 50 is pretty early in the game. My bases typically reach 4-600 cycles, and some people have 1000+ cycle bases.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I’ve started many dozens of colonies, but never made it to space. So not knowing the end, I’m wondering how people would define “mid-game”?

I guess I would say it’s about the time all your oxygen is coming from SPOMs, you’ve at least started weaning yourself off coal, and maybe started making plastic?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Mid-game, in my head at least, is "OK all the fires that might kill me are put out, and everything is pretty much stable. Now let's start making things better, faster, cheaper and easier".

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Mid-game, in my head at least, is "OK all the fires that might kill me are put out, and everything is pretty much stable. Now let's start making things better, faster, cheaper and easier" gently caress it all up again.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
For me it’s basically post Atmos when I start using much much more of the map. All my bigger systems end up outside the starting area, so I can’t really do anything big before the suits. Getting basic food and the suits is more or less my early game.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 11, 2019

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah I see the midgame as the point when you've achieved stability, but not sustainability. You can basically achieve everything I'd consider "early game" without leaving the starting biome.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I love that about the game though, that everyone can have a different point for their midgame.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Apart from crude oil refining, what are the best applications for thermium?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Firos posted:

Apart from crude oil refining, what are the best applications for thermium?

Really fast tempshift plates? Radiant pipes to offload hot/cold super coolant temperature to its surroundings?