Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Disposable Scud posted:

Playing Resurrection of Evil on Xbox. How did they do this?
A combination of the aforementioned dark programming magics and carefully deciding what was and wasn't acceptable to trim or downgrade to fit within the Xbox's specs.

Barudak posted:

and also the original Xbox was considerably more poweful than its peers.
Probably not considerably more, but it was likely less of a pain in the butt to develop for than, say, the PS2. In some places the Gamecube and Xbox are probably neck-and-neck at the least... but that would require getting into hardcore individual spec stuff that nobody outside of actual developers for the platform would care about.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Mar 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah the gamecube and xbox are similar strengths, the xbox just had a better disc size and easier to translate PC stuff to. It also had a harddrive, but other than DLC Im not sure anything used that to improve performance.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've actually got a plan for a Half-Life film adaptation and it involves casting Willem Dafoe as Gordon Freeman and a 75-year-old Stellan Skarsgard as the G-Man, but Skarsgard won't be 75 for another 8 years and by that point Dafoe will be in his 70's.

Dafoe has had an old man face since his thirties. He recently played Vincent van Gogh, a man who died at the age of 37, while Dafoe is in his sixties. He could pull it out off. Especially with the de-aging CGI technology these days, which they used on him in parts of Aquaman (although why you would remove wrinkly skin from someone who has been in water is beyond me!)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Barudak posted:

Yeah the gamecube and xbox are similar strengths, the xbox just had a better disc size and easier to translate PC stuff to. It also had a harddrive, but other than DLC Im not sure anything used that to improve performance.

Most games write stuff to the cache partitions, hell I think Doom 3 was a lot faster to load if it was one of the last three games you'd booted and hadn't been cycled out of the cache partitions, come to think of it (though it's been a long time since I played that version).

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

The only good part of the Doom movie was the first person sequence, they should have just done the whole movie like that, like Hardcore Henry.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
:agreed:

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
Umm how do you drop weapons in Doomrl arsenal? cause i set the B key to drop weapons but it doesn't work.

edit: nvm i got it

Kharn_The_Betrayer fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Mar 11, 2019

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

Umm how do you drop weapons in Doomrl arsenal? cause i set the B key to drop weapons but it doesn't work.

The "weapon zoom" function in DRLA drops a weapon after you press the assigned key twice. This is available in both Options and DRLA Options.

Oh yeah, it might take a millisecond or two upon switching to the weapon to register the drop command. There will be both text and a large icon showing that you are button press away from dropping it.

efb by the original poster SMFH

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 11, 2019

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

wafflemoose posted:

The only good part of the Doom movie was the first person sequence, they should have just done the whole movie like that, like Hardcore Henry.

I didn't see Hardcore Henry, but doesn't an entire movie based around a first person Doom sequence beg the question, "Why not just go play actual first person Doom?"

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

You know what I miss most? Playing Unreal Tournament and finding tons of servers with dumb mods, almost always running a lovely bedroom map and playing Toxicity.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mister No posted:

I didn't see Hardcore Henry, but doesn't an entire movie based around a first person Doom sequence beg the question, "Why not just go play actual first person Doom?"

Hardcore Henry answers this question in many explosive and neck muscle whiplash inducing ways. (The answer is because the protagonist could do all kinds of cool poo poo with the first person perspective that you can't do in video games because they're constrained by the bounds of player control)

edit: But then again, you can do all these whiplash inducing things as canned animations in the new Doom, so it's back to being a pointless exercise. Two steps forward, two steps back. Zero steps circle-strafing.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 11, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Mister No posted:

Because hardcore Henry is uhh extremely not doom? Tbh i can't even tell if this is a joke or not

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

treat posted:

Wes Anderson's DOOM

This is, truly, the finest post not just in this thread, but the forums entirely.

What would it be called?

The Everlasting Rip and Tear?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Y'know those video game trailers that pop up occasionally which show off a stylized, CG version of the gameplay? Like these Bioshock trailers from way back in the day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lmw78t8NgIE&t=59s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoYorK3E4aM&t=6s

What they really are, to me, are tiny proof-of-concepts that a movie like what's being described here for Doom could potentially be made. Hardcore Henry is an example of a movie adaption of the Hardcore Henry video game (which doesn't exist, but you get what I mean).

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 11, 2019

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is, truly, the finest post not just in this thread, but the forums entirely.

What would it be called?

The Everlasting Rip and Tear?

The Phobos Experiments.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Grand Budapest Hell

Fantastic Mr. Flynn

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

A Bioshock movie could absolutely be made, and I'm kind of surprised it hasn't happened. I'm not saying it's the best story every or anything, but it lends itself to the format pretty well. It's like they had an idea for a film anyway, and decided to adapt it to be a first-person shooter.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Just noticed this in CineD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDF9CPwSvFA

Thrilling stuff.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Woah that must have cost a few hundred bucks.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I rather watch the Rock's version. At least has Karl Urban.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

A Bioshock movie could absolutely be made, and I'm kind of surprised it hasn't happened. I'm not saying it's the best story every or anything, but it lends itself to the format pretty well. It's like they had an idea for a film anyway, and decided to adapt it to be a first-person shooter.

I believe that Gore Verbinski was at one point set to make an adaption. Good fit, I think. Shame nothing came of it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Game movies with "annihilation" in the title have a pretty bad track record :/

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I mean this one looks like it might have stuff happen in it. The Rock version was extremely boring.

Edit: Also yeah, Annihilation? Really?

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

site posted:

Because hardcore Henry is uhh extremely not doom? Tbh i can't even tell if this is a joke or not

Yeah, but I'm not talking about the Henry movie explicitly, I'm talking about a hypothetical first person Doom movie. I can't see a 90 minute action sequence in first person, being anything but an absolute slog.

e: make a Doom movie, except as a rebranded Mandy (replacing Mandy with a rabbit ofc). Keep Nic Cage as the lead, now Doomguy, and make the action start 20 minutes in instead of an hour an a half. Boom, the first satisfying and potentially emotionally draining videogame movie.

Mister No fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 11, 2019

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

anatomi posted:

I believe that Gore Verbinski was at one point set to make an adaption. Good fit, I think. Shame nothing came of it.
He was, and I believe the reason it fell apart is that he insisted on building massive submerged sets and filming a ton of it with real water. The projected cost was astronomical (actor insurance alone would probably have been massive) so it got canned.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mierenneuker posted:

Thrilling stuff.

Universal's putting that out? It looks so cheap I'd have figured it'd be a Full Moon joint or something.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
The only people who should be making video game movies are Neveldine/Taylor, and Crank is the best video game movie.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
5 minutes of a first-person shakycam having fake blood thrown at it while things explode, 35 minutes of rabbit-petting flashbacks, 50 minutes of grunting at walls. It's basically art.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

The only people who should be making video game movies are Neveldine/Taylor, and Crank is the best video game movie.

Gamer is the most critically underrated movie of all time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The best video game movie is actually Edge of Tomorrow.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

haveblue posted:

Only watched it late last year, movie owns.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

haveblue posted:

Book title was better, and More Doom.

All You Need Is Kill.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mierenneuker posted:

Thrilling stuff.

Christ. That looks like it should go direct to rental. At least it has recognizable imps and hell knights I guess?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Book title was better, and More Doom.

All You Need Is Kill.

Also the "title" they ended up focusing the marketing on after everyone was nonplussed by the actual title: Live. Die. Repeat.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mordja posted:

Universal's putting that out? It looks so cheap I'd have figured it'd be a Full Moon joint or something.
It's Universal 1440, their direct-to-video line that usually hurls out innumerable sequels to Tremors, The Scorpion King and Death Race.

The Switch port of Dusk is coming along:
https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1104722280423161862

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Speaking of Dusk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYihkKBLsjg

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mierenneuker posted:

Thrilling stuff.

Doom: a SyFy original movie

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
My favorite part was the split second of the zombie dude flailing towards the camera

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Using generic assault rifles and pistols is the greatest sin these dumb rear end Doom movies make besides there being 99 basic zombiemen with no guns and then maybe 1 pinkie if the budget allows

edit: Woah, the BFG is in this Doom movie?!?! No fuckin way!!! I can't wait until they fire it 1 time in the third act to kill maybe 10 zombies or one powerful guy!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Using generic assault rifles and pistols is the greatest sin these dumb rear end Doom movies make besides there being 99 basic zombiemen with no guns and then maybe 1 pinkie if the budget allows

edit: Woah, the BFG is in this Doom movie?!?! No fuckin way!!! I can't wait until they fire it 1 time in the third act to kill maybe 10 zombies or one powerful guy!!!

Generic assault rifle props are cheap and plentiful, making a BFG or plasma guns takes actual time and money.