Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Nioh is on sale for $25 on steam right now so if anyone’s on the fence, now is the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Started to lose interest in the side missions and just plowed through the story missions until I unlocked NG+ around an hour ago. Decent game, but frequent enemy placement behind corners, level design, excessive trash loot, reused levels, and the amount of OHKOs will forever leave me with a middling opinion. Few other things too, but meh.

Likely will casually play a bit more to see the loot escalate.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Andrigaar posted:

Started to lose interest in the side missions and just plowed through the story missions until I unlocked NG+ around an hour ago. Decent game, but frequent enemy placement behind corners, level design, excessive trash loot, reused levels, and the amount of OHKOs will forever leave me with a middling opinion. Few other things too, but meh.

Likely will casually play a bit more to see the loot escalate.

I've just reached the fourth region and I'm similarly feeling like I'm running out of steam

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
With DMC5 out and Sekiro around the bend I'm gonna need some Nioh 2 info soon to keep me rolling in future dreams all year.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I'm really hoping Nioh 2 isn't set in Japan. Give me Europe or even more:

Give me India. Indian Yokai! Indian Magic! And best of all a proper evil enemy to fight: The East India Trading Company (stealing Amrita for the crown?)

Fun Fact: It was founded the same year as the Battle of Sekigahara.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 15, 2019

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I want to play as William of Orange.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Have been casually grinding levels as I figured I would. Decide to try the first DLC story map (suggested 150) while at L156. This difficulty spike is just absurd... gonna guess it's meant to be played with gear from mid-way through NG+ or farther along :shrug:

As for a positive note, I found the loot filter so I don't pick up commons or uncommons anymore.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I know some people really like the looting and builds in this game but personally I hope Nioh 2 takes a page out of Sekiro’s book and strips down the RPG elements. I only ever felt like keeping track of different builds and upgrading my armor constantly and grinding hindered my experience with Nioh, when I just wanted to play it like an action game without having to stop constantly to sift through menus or worry about whether I’m dying because I’m bad or dying because I’m undergeared

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Augus posted:

I know some people really like the looting and builds in this game but personally I hope Nioh 2 takes a page out of Sekiro’s book and strips down the RPG elements. I only ever felt like keeping track of different builds and upgrading my armor constantly and grinding hindered my experience with Nioh, when I just wanted to play it like an action game without having to stop constantly to sift through menus or worry about whether I’m dying because I’m bad or dying because I’m undergeared

A big cut in loot and rework of stats, while retaining the skill trees and great builds would suit me fine. Can't wait to get back to business as my immovable heavy armour spearman tossing needs around and pincushioning them in the air.

E: by cut I mean keep the awesome variety just reduce how much poo poo I need to manage

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Chiming in to say that I love Sekiro but Nioh should absolutely keep doing its own thing - it's the closest we have to samurai souls and it should embrace that. There's no point in trying to be more like Sekiro when that game has been pared down and polished to the bone. Plus the different builds and weapons styles are what make me come back to Nioh time after time, whereas Sekiro is probably going to be a one-and-done sort of experience.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Deified Data posted:

Chiming in to say that I love Sekiro but Nioh should absolutely keep doing its own thing - it's the closest we have to samurai souls and it should embrace that. There's no point in trying to be more like Sekiro when that game has been pared down and polished to the bone. Plus the different builds and weapons styles are what make me come back to Nioh time after time, whereas Sekiro is probably going to be a one-and-done sort of experience.

There are multiple paths in Sekiro and I think they have their own bosses. I'm really excited to play through it again.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
I'm playing the game right now with a friend (Yokai Realm with a Companion) coming from the Souls games and we just reached the first DLC (second level).
I'm the Tank (Heavy armor, axe) while my friend is the Ninja (low armor, he loves his magic) - working pretty great so far.

Two quick questions regarding the game:

A revenant dropped a set called Dragon Ninja which made my friend overjoyed because of the "Unlimited Shurikens". Except he went from doing 500 per shuriken to something super low like 30. We can't find the reason for the damage drop, is it just an undocumented side effect of the set bonus?

We're now pretty far behind the "Mission Level" curve while still doing most content we can find at least once - we're both level 110 while the next mission is level 165. Does this matter a lot or should we just keep going?

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
AFAIK the mission levels are just an indicator of the quality of loot that drops. They go up into the 900s in Way of the Nioh, and the max level you can get to is 750.

I think the damage drop with the unlimited shurikens on the ninja gaiden set is just the trade off for having infinite of them. If you really want to do a high damage shuriken build you want the Iga ninja set with a bunch of % chance for unlimited ninjitsu on it. One of the set bonuses for it is that it replenishes 1/3rd of your supply of ninjitsu stuff when you use your guardian spirit, essentially giving you unlimited uses

Revins fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 26, 2019

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

I did the story mission after the one that causes end credits. My options now are ng+, some two bosses at once side missions or the dlc. All seem to be vast leaps in difficulty

I'm probably finished here. Given the vast improvements from aloha to beta to final, I'm expecting Nioh2 to be magical

Lamquin posted:

A revenant dropped a set called Dragon Ninja which made my friend overjoyed because of the "Unlimited Shurikens". Except he went from doing 500 per shuriken to something super low like 30. We can't find the reason for the damage drop, is it just an undocumented side effect of the set bonus?

The damage reduction is explained if you look at the help text on unlimited shurikens

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

So I picked up Nioh today and I love it. The challenge is fun, the weapons are amazing, I love the Monster Hunter-y feel...

I figured I'd take a look at the second boss, see how bad she is. I'd just leveled up so I didn't care if I died, I just wanted to peek at her before I signed off for the night.

She chumped me in under ten seconds. :negative:

(tomorrow I get to revisit that, find out if I have any paralysis resistant gear, and slowly but surely work out her patterns)

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The second boss is amazingly hard when you start playing and really easy once you get good at the mechanics, but it's a very common stumbling block. Wish I could say something more but it's been a while since I last played Nioh :v:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Azran posted:

The second boss is amazingly hard when you start playing and really easy once you get good at the mechanics, but it's a very common stumbling block. Wish I could say something more but it's been a while since I last played Nioh :v:

I got her! Was actually surprisingly easy once I learned her and discovered the joy of kunai/fire-bombs. I'm... I'm beginning to have hope that I'll be able to beat this entire game. I'm normally bad at reflex-reliant games but so far this one has been doable, and designed well.

Like, the run to the bosses is way, WAY more tolerable than it was in Dark Souls' early game so it's easy to hop back in and apply a new strategy to a boss.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

After the elation of finally killing Nue, the amused annoyance of getting lost underground, it was only fitting to finish off the samurai duel by killing him with a comically oversized bomb.

Great fight, unlike the yokai I had to change my tactics quite a bit. Even swapped to a katana so I would have the right tempo for his stamina gauge.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Did you have the traditional first Nue encounter, which is "open door, look a boss bar appeared! Lightning, dead."?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

Did you have the traditional first Nue encounter, which is "open door, look a boss bar appeared! Lightning, dead."?

I think so! I know I did my traditional "oh hey a boss! oh I'm dead now. ... /quits game" thing, but after a break I came back and really drilled down on learning his pattern and finding a weapon/stance I was comfortable using for that tempo of fight. (I think I landed on low-stance sickle n' chain or mid-lance, can't remember at the mo)

Fortunately for my temper I'm just expecting to meet a boss and instantly die, so I laugh instead of getting mad.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Nue is cool because he looks intimidating and his move set seems overwhelming, but once you figure him out he’s dead simple and you feel like a huge badass for clowning on him.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I've platinum'ed the game and still never managed to beat Nue without eating at least one dumb death. He is extremely cool, tho

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
So I’m really early in this game and suck at it. I was doing the Kanbei and the Overlord sub-mission with the end “boss” being a bunch of dudes and those fire head things from doom respawning constantly and I died over and over until I figured out the trick.

Somehow something (maybe a revenant) dropped a Taro Tachi and holy crap that changed the game for me. I went to the mission where Nue is the boss and just clowned on everything including him with it.

I have a feeling I’m not really supposed to have a weapon like this so early. I’m not even specced right for this weapon yet and it’s still really good. Up until this point I was doing dual swords and the game was kicking my rear end.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Yeah you occasionally find something really good.

If you are in it for the long haul you can start customizing your gear on higher difficulties which is cool.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Yeah, getting a significant damage upgrade is part of the Diablo like loot system of the game. Also sometimes one weapon type clicks with you more than the others. Dual swords wound up being my favorite weapon type, buts just a matter of what works for you

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Unfinish3d posted:

Yeah, getting a significant damage upgrade is part of the Diablo like loot system of the game. Also sometimes one weapon type clicks with you more than the others. Dual swords wound up being my favorite weapon type, buts just a matter of what works for you

I have a kusarigama set that's nicely overleveled for the area I'm in, and it's making me overconfident with mooks, so the giant oni and skeleton warriors have been taking advantage of that and killing me. Such is Nioh.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

I put over 400 hours into the game over about 2 years and the giant skeleton dudes still almost always killed me at least once per encounter with them. Their running charge attack comes out stupidly fast and can easily one shot you, and my strategy for dealing with tough enemies was to soften them up with magic and items from a distance first. So if I tossed out something at the wrong moment the big skeleton man would just run me over while I was stuck in the throwing/casting animation.

I never learned

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Same but flippy dual sword ogres who never stay still and dont give a poo poo about your stamina

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

My tactic for those is hit their horn and then kill them before they can stand back up. If they don't die before recovering stamina, pop guarding spirit and pray. Burn all consumables and spells because gently caress those Ninja-Oni.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I finally got my hands on a PS4 and Nioh again after getting the plat for it back before the first DLC came out. Still haven't bought them and since it's on a new system, I restarted it and got to the halfway point a few days ago. I'm so glad the usual tactic of crumpling someone off of a counter and then doing an iai slash followed by a finisher still works. I'll probably buy the DLC once I'm finished with the main game so I can access to the other two weapons.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I've had Nioh and all the DLC for awhile. I burned though the base game and side missions on normal. Despite the DLC being slightly harder I've had no real problems with it. Except a few months ago I just stopped playing after the first mission of the third DLC. It occured to me that the game hadn't really done anything cool or interesting since the base game and that the idea of hunting down any more Kodama was actively hurting my brain.

I want to finish up now, but should I just turn my brain off and enjoy the fighting or is there anything note worthy to look forward to? My buil is Kusarigama/Ninjitsu/Matchlock with appropriate high level Head of the Iga Ninja gear with all the slots the way I like them. I've settled in to just trashing everything in Heavy Stance (That pull on hold Triangle is insane for humans). Difficult demons usually just get rolled over with my vast array of throwing crap. Human enemies either get dealt with using the pull or paralyzed with smoke continuously while I wail on them.

I've had more trouble with human bosses, but I realized that literally all of them are vulnerable to well a timed headshot from the bow or matchlock. They stagger for so long and it will break them out of combos and their Guardian Spirit mode. If they are immune to paralysis that is.

Not really stuck or needing advice, just ranting. Game was a lot of fun but just stopped doing anything new. I'm aware my tricks apparently don't work on higher difficulties super well, but thats fine I just want to be done. Not gonna grind out weapon mastery or magic for the handful of extra bosses, do multiple runs, or even set foot in the Grand Tournament for the record.

Edit: Hmm spare identical Kusarigama in my inventory. Maybe I should make this one elemental so I can get stacks of Discord going more easily. I have reliable access to Fire in my build, and so far have using talismans if I want Discord. It's not very reliable and takes some planning. It's not like I need the damage though.

Also, how come I never see the "shoot 'im in the 'ead" tactic mentioned online anywhere?

Zushio fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 13, 2019

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Is there an easier way to get the Genius Strategist Hachimaki without fighting that dude in the dojo and praying for the smithing text?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
If memory serves, if it's a set that's based on someone's outfit, you have to pummel them for the smithing text. If that isn't the case, then I grinded Saika's fight for nothing lol

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

A Bystander posted:

If memory serves, if it's a set that's based on someone's outfit, you have to pummel them for the smithing text. If that isn't the case, then I grinded Saika's fight for nothing lol

Infuriatingly, he drops every piece of the set *except* the Hachimaki.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

A closed alpha is starting this weekend. Check your emails, I just got a code today.

In the Summon Visitor menu from the shrines, you can summon up to two visitors, so this game has 3-player co-op in the main game, not just The Abyss like Nioh 1.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Bunch of people streaming the Alpha right now

EDIT: Looks like Dual Swords were replaced with Dual axes. They look pretty cool.
EDIT2: Tonfa and Kusarigama are also not in the Alpha so maybe they're not just finished yet.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 24, 2019

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Yeah there are only four weapons in the alpha: Sword, long sword (Odachi), spear, and hatchets.

I expect they chose these options deliberately for players to get to try something new, and I expect most if not all of the previous weapons will return in the full game. At least, I hope so, as a kusarigama main.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I hope the two handed axe returns in some form. I enjoyed that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

So I'm in a bit of a weird position. I played the poo poo out of Nioh 1's alpha/beta/last chance trial but when the game finally came out it was in between two huge releases that I played for over a hundred hours a piece, and then I started waiting for the DLC to be finished, and honestly just never got around to actually playing the game (turns out when you obsessively play two or three levels, when you start the full game in those levels they're a mite... boring).

Anyway probably based on how much I played those trial periods for the first game they gave me a key for the Nioh 2 alpha and it's funny because I'm left wondering what is actually new versus what I just never got around to seeing.

Like I know changing into a Yokai and having Yokai skills on a cooldown is new (they're really broken right now) but couldn't tell you if the little tubby cats you can find hidden in the environment are anything new.

Kicking myself now because I forgot how fun Nioh was between the literal years of not touching it since I went through the two non-twilight mission areas that are in 2's alpha in just one play session despite not really having many plans to play that much in terms of games yesterday.

Unfortunately they don't let you natively record the alpha this time through the PS4 though.