Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

goons are a lost cause tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

i got this far before being overwhelmed by ennui

quote:

so underappreciated, and yet so crucial. as animals, we fall under the jurisdiction of ecology; so do our livestock and our crops, our pets, the landscapes on which we build our cities, and the forests and oceans that control our weather. our existence on this planet begins and ends with ecology. that is how important it is.

so, what is ecology?

ecology is the study of ecosystems. an "ecosystem" is a living environment composed of thousands or millions of living organisms that coexist and support each other and the overarching whole. every organism in an ecosystem uses other organisms for survival - whether that be as food or habitat (trees and corals are organisms too), or more abstract functions, like humans' harnessing of other species for fibre, manual labour, and companionship. ecosystems exist everywhere. even in the most sterile environments imaginable, like superheated deep-sea vents or the antiseptic corridors of a hospital, complex chains of life act out the drama of existence on a microscopic level.

humans are animals. to ecologists and other biological scientists, we are homo sapiens - an intelligent, tool-using species of primate, gregarious, omnivorous, and highly adaptable. but no matter how adaptable we are, we are still animals. we eat leaves, fruit, grains, and meat. we build our elaborate structures with (among other things) the wood from trees. to enable our agriculture we rely on soil, which is not a single entity but a complex conglomerate of minerals, decaying organic material, and micro-organisms. since the industrial revolution and its promise of victory over nature, we have tried to survive outside the concept of ecosystems. but we can't. for as long as we are animals, we will be dependent on the ecosystem for our survival.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
it's a very nice partial op avs

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

it's a very nice partial op avs
thank you friend

ecology is g-d to me

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

my uni teachers struggled to mark my essays because they would have the most beautifully written introduction and first few paragraphs you've ever read but then break into "I CAN'T TAKE THIS ANYMORE! NOOOOoooooooooooooooo" going on for twelve pages, interspersed with lush descriptions of my rear end

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

they were grooming each other lovingly on the lawn today, it made me emotional

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

make the ecology thread avs

do it

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

and of course this will probably lead to a conversation with the company owner about why my linkedin is suddenly active where i'll have to point out that we have operating capital for a month and a half and a handful of big ious that probably won't materialize as actual money for another six months so what kind of idiot wouldn't draw larger implications from that

How the gently caress is that not a case of your company being required to file for insolvency already?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

avshalemon posted:

i got this far before being overwhelmed by ennui

this is an OP avs

if you want to say more later that's why it's a thread

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

V. Illych L. posted:

make the ecology thread avs

do it

Please, D&D needs more avs

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/goodboyseb/status/1104519041077645312?s=21

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
another 737MAX crashed. This puts this plane at like 1000 fatalities -- impressive seeing as it hasnt even gone into full service yes!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Randler posted:

How the gently caress is that not a case of your company being required to file for insolvency already?

at the moment we're borrowing money with the large payments we're due at some point acting as collateral

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

i mean, that's a hosed up weld

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

but people are so afraid to post

:same:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I did an "election machine" and from the results I learned that we have not one but two communist parties in Finland, and I should choose between them or the Left.

I mean I'm not actually surprised we have two, knowing how communists are.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
After reading this thread before bed, I proceeded to have a dream that I worked at a summer camp Avs was running

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Pirate Radar posted:

After reading this thread before bed, I proceeded to have a dream that I worked at a summer camp Avs was running

Ernest Goes to Camp, but instead of raining snapping turtles it rains keets and/or poison toads.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Furnaceface posted:

Ernest Goes to Camp, but instead of raining snapping turtles it rains keets and/or poison toads.

I was carrying a lot of chairs around because the building where we kept the chairs was haunted and none of the campers wanted to go get more chairs, but the ghost accepted that Avs was trying to run a summer camp and had agreed not to bother the counselors, at least

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

i would be up for the challenge of running a summer camp, but only with the understanding of all concerned that death is inevitable

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Pirate Radar posted:

I was carrying a lot of chairs around because the building where we kept the chairs was haunted and none of the campers wanted to go get more chairs, but the ghost accepted that Avs was trying to run a summer camp and had agreed not to bother the counselors, at least
this is prophetic. let's do it

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
as a child I found ernest too painfully stupid to watch

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Destined to be a manager at that young of an age, quite impressive.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

avshalemon posted:

i would be up for the challenge of running a summer camp, but only with the understanding of all concerned that death is inevitable

everyone forgets that jason's mom was the killer in the first movie

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Furnaceface posted:

Destined to be a manager at that young of an age, quite impressive.

i think linking ernest to the working class is the most severe attack i've seen in a long time

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
IN 👏 THIS 👏 HOUSE 👏 WE 👏 KNOW 👏 ERNEST 👏 IS 👏 A 👏 COP

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Ernest is the people's hero, he staged a jail break once

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
ernest was the creation of an ad company

he's nobody's hero except corporate america

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Look if I cared about things from my childhood being soulless marketing tools I'd have to stop liking digimon and that won't happen

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The gym just put on an EDM version of Bella Ciao and yeah I’m here for that

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Daylight Savings ending is just to make people who work in the mornings more miserable.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Pirate Radar posted:

The gym just put on an EDM version of Bella Ciao and yeah I’m here for that
this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhgJV0Pg54Y

we've played it on our mobile speakers during a couple of protests lately. always gets the crowd going.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

R. Mute posted:

this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhgJV0Pg54Y

we've played it on our mobile speakers during a couple of protests lately. always gets the crowd going.

Doesn’t sound quite the same but I could be wrong. That’s the third time I’ve randomly run into the song recently, which can only be a good sign.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

This is very e/n but when prepubescent me watched Ernest Goes to Jail I felt a weird, strong, and confusing attraction to the "bad" Jim Varney, not sexual but close, like in awe of what a badass he seemed to be or something (pre rape-y scene). Then 25 (?) years later they did a How Did This Get Made podcast about it and the women (Lesley Arfin and June Diane Rafael) said they were shocked by how sexy he was and I was like "I KNOW!"

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
Hoping we find out Roger Stone gets remanded to custody today.

Namaste

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Spun Dog posted:

Hoping we find out Roger Stone gets remanded to custody today.

Namaste

Ohhhh yeah that's today isn't it. Here's hoping.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I wouldn’t hold my breath for that, the judge presiding over his case has to tiptoe the unfortunately thin line to avoid bias/contempt hearings. Stone’s entire defence strategy, essentially, is to provoke judge into getting owned out of the case on those charges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

pangstrom posted:

This is very e/n but when prepubescent me watched Ernest Goes to Jail I felt a weird, strong, and confusing attraction to the "bad" Jim Varney, not sexual but close, like in awe of what a badass he seemed to be or something (pre rape-y scene). Then 25 (?) years later they did a How Did This Get Made podcast about it and the women (Lesley Arfin and June Diane Rafael) said they were shocked by how sexy he was and I was like "I KNOW!"

bad jim varney lookin kinda nice