Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

jobson groeth posted:

While we're on EVE chat, I'm headed to Iceland soon and I understand there is a statue of a bunch of EVE / goon names carved into it. Is it worth hunting that thing down to check it out?

If you know a name that you specifically want to see on it or are otherwise big into EVE, probably? Otherwise it's just some stone monoliths with a bunch of names carved into them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

senrath posted:

If you know a name that you specifically want to see on it or are otherwise big into EVE, probably? Otherwise it's just some stone monoliths with a bunch of names carved into them.

It's more that I'll have a week in Reykjavic and thought it might be worth a lol to go see a bit of goonlore.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The only name I would be able to remember to look for would be the mittani

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If you guys are talking Eve history, what’s the name of the 2006-ish era frequently drunken Brit who would fleet command newbies regularly? Think his name was five or six letters and started with S.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

taqueso posted:

The only name I would be able to remember to look for would be the mittani

As someone who only follows EVE from afar and only about the really big things that happen, Vile Rat is the only name I would think to look for if I was in Reykjavic for some reason.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:rip:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m gonna be in Reykjavik this summer, if I remember I’ll snap a picture.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m gonna be in Reykjavik this summer, if I remember I’ll snap a picture.

That's pretty much my plan except in a month rather than a season.

Been reading a little bit about it and EVE players are butthurt the monument isn't immune to the ravages of time and weather.

This also made much have a sensible chuckle.

some article about the monument posted:

Of course a bit of the sometimes toxic world of online gaming spilled out into the real world along with the monument when it was defaced just days after it’s unveiling. The symbol of one of the game’s largest factions was plastered to one of the pillars and the name of one of the players was scratched out. The culprits were eventually found out and banned from the game. Apparently the game world-real world connection goes both ways.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

senrath posted:

As someone who only follows EVE from afar and only about the really big things that happen, Vile Rat is the only name I would think to look for if I was in Reykjavic for some reason.

Indeed :smith:

Since I joined this forum we've lost a few good ones. Goonswarm, Goonstacks (fps games) and goon on goon violence will be always the best part of playing mp games here.

I never played EVE but I followed the adventures of the goonfleet for a while and I had a good laugh. I've done my fair amount of shenanigans on FPS games and one of the highest points was during the CoD MW2 days on Xbox Live, when we convinced a kid (who was calling us cheaters and more stuff because of our high prestige level and weapon skins) to tilt his console when launching the game to access the developer menu so he could prestige faster. Anyone familiar with the Xbox 360 knows that moving the console while reading a DVD resulted in a scratched disc. Picture this right after christmas and the voice messages after that. Not counting that an UK goon posting a few videos on YouTube with a robotic voice could make fun of a "youtuber" (WingsOfRedemption for reference) during Black Ops 1 days making him and his followers mad.

I mean, I don't consider that "trolling" because is just making people mad with grenade launchers and other tools the game gives you but I find amusing when people get really really mad.

Also this (goons making someone REALLY mad in CoD4):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkb91iNn068

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Who is matey, where is he being held, and why should he be freed?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

If you guys are talking Eve history, what’s the name of the 2006-ish era frequently drunken Brit who would fleet command newbies regularly? Think his name was five or six letters and started with S.

Suas?

"Shut up and shave"

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

:squawk: speaking of BattleTech...

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Kommando posted:

Suas?

"Shut up and shave"
Yeah it was Suas. Thanks.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Goon video game antics has always run the gamut of stupid/hilarious/malicious/extremely poor taste because of how diverse goons are. Squawking in MWO was great because it got people to tilt with just one word. But not all goon shenanigans were harmless like that and random marks (bless you lemon king, that was one of the greatest mods ever made). A bit less benign was the third person camera gag, the wall of shame was glorious but that was definitely more of a dickish thing to do. Hilarious, bust still kinda dickish. Escalating more, not only was there the wow funeral thing, but goonfleet also started a war by a goon making fun of a guy who died (beep beep I'm a truck, dead smoske storage, etc), which we laughed off because of their ridiculous posturing. Probably the most assholish thing I can remember from wow was the goon who transferred to one of the few remaining servers that hadn't unlocked AQ40 just as they were about to, and rang the gong at a terrible time, so he ended up being I think the only one to get the bug mount, and ruining the payoff of literal years of work for the whole server. There's definitely more I'm forgetting, but yeah we do deserve some of the hate we get. Only some though, cause the really bad poo poo was rare and most people hate us for imagined reasons instead of what we've actually done.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Before it was closed because of the infighting the griefing thread had a guy who posted videos of him and his buds "totally owning" streamers but going into the games they were in and shouting about how they were going to rape and murder their 5 year old.

Sure most goons aren't insane but those aren't the ones that stand out in memory

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i miss the griefing thread. not so much the eternal argument on what constitutes griefing. and that shouting at players on a microphone is the lowest level of lame

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

In my opinion good griefing is joining a stream and jihad jeep the streamer all the time and stuff like that. Insulting and shouting is 2009's Xbox Live low level.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

sneakyfrog posted:

i miss the griefing thread. not so much the eternal argument on what constitutes griefing. and that shouting at players on a microphone is the lowest level of lame

sir, please dont grief the injoke thread

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
good grief

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

more like bad grief amirite

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

sneakyfrog posted:

there was some good poo poo in there but some of the arguments were over some pretty hosed up stuff, and then every single time there was an argument someone'd come out with "ha ha you griefed the thread" which got tiresome even faster than the arguments

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's really hard to stop goons taking it too far. Helldump got closed basically for that reason, iirc. (also it had been cannibalising itself) And still ended up as basically the training ground for kiwifarms and other horrible internet people that you can find at the centre of too many online shitstorms.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
It's about ethics in griefing.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

We game, that we may be griefed. We are griefed, that we may recognize ludonarrative dissonance.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I've started seeing some folks in GBS with the same lollipop based avatars. What thread got dumb this time?

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Choco1980 posted:

I've started seeing some folks in GBS with the same lollipop based avatars. What thread got dumb this time?

all of them

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The easiest way to troll eve goons was typing "bang bang im a libyan" at one

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Because it's exceedingly rude?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Whats the origin of the paywall video clips?

The kid getting the window slammed on him and all that.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

wesleywillis posted:

Whats the origin of the paywall video clips?

The kid getting the window slammed on him and all that.

"The Boogey Man" (1980)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHm0hAJm5yU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

:lol: of course John Carradine is in it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Who is this "matey" and where are they imprisoned?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

:lol: of course John Carradine is in it.

He was awesome in Grapes Of Wrath.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Doc Hawkins posted:

Who is this "matey" and where are they imprisoned?

G'day.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I would also like to know who matey is

(free matey)

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Free matey? I'll take 5!

:dadjoke:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Thanks everyone

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
You don't even need that many freems, 80 is just excessive.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Welp, just saw Heathers for the first time.

That's a movie I can't even imagine relating to in tyool 2019, but at least now I finally get the "dead gay forums" joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Heathers makes a lot of sense and ages terrifyingly well considering it's about how adults refuse to take teenagers' problems seriously even when it's literally killing them.

It got the characterisation of the typical school shooter down pretty well too. At least in that he's literally irony poisoned.