Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Kawasaki Nun posted:

What's your take on the meat cat campaign from the 6th season of 30 rock?

Never seen it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I ended up getting a 100 on my test in Digital Systems. I think it might have been a completion grade.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Due to previously unforeseen additional course requirements, I've learned that getting my minor would require a full additional year of part-time school in the best possible case scenario. This assumes all the courses would be available in the semesters I want them, their scheduled times work with my limited schedule, and I don't fail or retake anything.

I'd really rather just graduate a year sooner with my very employable B.S., drop the minor, and get back into the workforce. If I drop it, am I gonna get any grief from the VA or them expecting repayments if they've paid for courses already that were only required by the minor?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I've never ever heard of the VA sweating anyone for that and I extremely doubt it, but I guess Vasudus would be the one with the definitive opinion

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
VA won't care and minors are garbage that nobody gives a poo poo about past your first job interview and even then.

I had three minors. I took it off my resume.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I'm applying for a DoD job (Corps of Engineers) and I'm unsure about my resume; I've got my USAJobs profile and my basic one-pager that I keep updated. We actually don't need resumes in my agency (they've got a proprietary form), so I haven't hosed around with making a new one in about 5 years.

I keep hearing feds are the opposite of private industry in that brevity is to be avoided, and you're supposed to kitchen sink these motherfuckers. Is that true in reality? I can turn my resume into a novel, but I'd like to know it's worth the effort first.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Vasudus posted:

VA won't care and minors are garbage that nobody gives a poo poo about past your first job interview and even then.

I had three minors. I took it off my resume.
Kind of what I was thinking regarding actual real-world relevance of having a minor. I'm certainly not sad about no longer having to take 2 more years of math. Now I'm just searching for bullshit 300 level courses with the least chance of requiring long papers in order to satisfy my last 10 upper-division units.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
If the minor subject is actually interesting and relevant to your field consider taking classes after you graduate and getting a certificate.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Woof Blitzer posted:

If the minor subject is actually interesting and relevant to your field consider taking classes after you graduate and getting a certificate.
It's Statistics & Data Science, so relevant to my CS major but not particularly interesting to me. I specifically asked an advisor if I could graduate with the B.S. and then later on take the courses to achieve the minor, and he said no, it has to be done concurrently.

I originally picked up the minor because I thought it was only going to require like 4 additional courses beyond my major. Then I discovered that no, I cannot just jump right back in to calc2 after 15 years of forgetting everything I once knew about math. I'm currently retaking precalc.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
You shouldn't worry about a minor unless you are using those classes as your electives. It might be relevant if you are applying for graduate school? Otherwise I couldn't imagine when it would ever come up.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

GD_American posted:

I'm applying for a DoD job (Corps of Engineers) and I'm unsure about my resume; I've got my USAJobs profile and my basic one-pager that I keep updated. We actually don't need resumes in my agency (they've got a proprietary form), so I haven't hosed around with making a new one in about 5 years.

I keep hearing feds are the opposite of private industry in that brevity is to be avoided, and you're supposed to kitchen sink these motherfuckers. Is that true in reality? I can turn my resume into a novel, but I'd like to know it's worth the effort first.

The only difference between my fed resume and my "everything else" resume is that I had to put my average hours per week on my fed one. I never have been offered a fed job, but I've applied for a couple (Probably with Army Corps, I am a Civ Eng after all), YMMV.

e: As for the minor bit, I've found its only really useful if you are applying for a job outside of your current career path to show that you have dedicated interest in both. I focused on two different Civil Engineer career paths in undergrad and used it to basically not get type cast within the industry.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 10, 2019

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Good News! I am now a member of my major's honor society! Against all odds, I did it!
Bad News! Class selection for summer classes pigeonholed me into choosing between fulltime or graduating at the end of August. Which means I cannot get my minor and the clock starts going down. Its weird being able to see the finish line.

Chances are, family and I are moving to Europe. Unless I get a really good offer coming out of school

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

grad school status: make it stop

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

EBB posted:

Ew no no no no no

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
You can take that immunology bullshit and gently caress right off. Augh.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
That's worse than conversations about sounding, for sure

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

EBB posted:

:getin:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Every time someone mentions something about grad school it’s some horror story. I’d like to get around to it at some point but drat

I have five months left plus the $1,000 I paid into the Montgomery. Think it’d take me just under two years

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Every time someone mentions something about grad school it’s some horror story. I’d like to get around to it at some point but drat

I have five months left plus the $1,000 I paid into the Montgomery. Think it’d take me just under two years

Skip that nerd bullshit up there and go to business school. If it's giving a broken-brained dumbass like me a tough-but-achievable time, it should be a breeze for half this thread.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Grad school has mostly been a waste of my time. Yes I’ve made some good industry connections but it’s just about that diploma now.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

At some point I'm going to have to go to grad school because having just a BS in chemistry/biochemistry is very limiting. I just have to figure out if I want to do materials science like I intended or biophysical chemistry since the lab I've been in for a bit has really turned me on to biochem.

But first I feel the need to be a QA drone or something as a break.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

GD_American posted:

My regular resume is one page, my federal resume is almost 7. My advice to everyone looking at fed jobs is to use the USAjobs resume builder and keep it up-to-date.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

yeah but then how do i smoke all this weed

App13
Dec 31, 2011

You look for positions that state “This position is not subject to drug testing” ;)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

EBB posted:

yeah but then how do i smoke all this weed

Someone edit the lemons holding guy.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Grad school for me was 100% mandatory. Not only because I needed to stay in school to continue to eat and have a roof over my head, but because a BS in Sociology qualifies you for absolutely nothing. An MS is considerably more useful, provided that you take the correct courses, get research positions, and have a laser focused area of interest. If you don't then you're hosed.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I'm about to start applying for graduate geography/GIS or urban planning programs if I don't find a job soon. Kill me, I don't want to go back to school right now.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Master's is the standard working degree for geologists, so you can have learned some kind of specialty beyond the standard rock-knowledge undergrad.

I've done a pretty poor job of undergrad and don't really like it anymore, so I've decided I'd rather make $13/hr as an "environmental tech" or whatever than try to do grad school right now. I don't really know how it works or if it will even be an option anymore in five years, but I seriously simply would not succeed at it if I got shoved into it right now. I don't think taking a few years to work and figure out what my field is will help, either lol

App13
Dec 31, 2011

DownByTheWooter posted:

Master's is the standard working degree for geologists, so you can have learned some kind of specialty beyond the standard rock-knowledge undergrad.

I've done a pretty poor job of undergrad and don't really like it anymore, so I've decided I'd rather make $13/hr as an "environmental tech" or whatever than try to do grad school right now. I don't really know how it works or if it will even be an option anymore in five years, but I seriously simply would not succeed at it if I got shoved into it right now. I don't think taking a few years to work and figure out what my field is will help, either lol

With your veteran status I recommend looking into USGS/EPA technician positions. The starting pay is the same as private sector (crappy) but the quality of life is way higher and you have more room to grow.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

App13 posted:

With your veteran status I recommend looking into USGS/EPA technician positions. The starting pay is the same as private sector (crappy) but the quality of life is way higher and you have more room to grow.

Doh missed a paper draft due date. Today is day 2 of radio silence for the request for an extension I sent to the prof. Guess I'll have to prostrate myself during office hours to pull this one out

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

speaking of x degree only being useful after grad school whenever someone isn’t sure what to major in, then chooses their undergrad in psychology, I want to sit them down and tell them why it’s a terrible idea

Maybe unless you’re pre-med, but even then.

y’all remember when having a high school diploma was cool???

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

The overinflation of credentials to gain entry level employment in a given field is absolutely absurd.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The requirements for entry level roles are often laughable. You’re paying me how little and you want five years experience in this niche field that’s eight years old and I just graduated??? My gf was looking for work and minimum wage receptionist roles wanted like three years experience as a receptionist

I think I read on reddit that a lot of those ads means they already decided to hire someone internally, but have to make it publicly available or some such? Or nepotism idk

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

y’all remember when having a high school diploma was cool???

pshh overrated i don't even have one

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

we need to start a shady for-profit vocational school that takes GI bill

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Just restart Westwood College, or that correspondence school Sally Struthers used to shill for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBuV_7X8mI4

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Hello my friend have you heard of this amazing institution called Trump University?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I’ll make the website

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Woof Blitzer posted:

I’ll make the website

Only if it's unsecured and leaks PII