Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Hey IT folks, at what point can I start getting pissed at the IT people at my place of work? I work for a global company that has a huge IT staff. Three months ago I moved from Dev to Client Delivery, but I am still getting blasted with emails to Dev mailing lists. I've submitted three tickets that have all been closed as "complete" asking for my dev email groups to be removed and my new email groups added. Each time a ticket is closed, 15 minutes later I get an email that was sent to a Dev group. What do I need to do to get them to fix my poo poo?
However your raise your tickets be it by phone or email/intratnet etc - try and get the helpdesk to acknowledge that previous attempts haven't worked - for something as simple as changes to DL membership to go wrong there is probably something messed up on IT's end that requires escalation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Much more interesting post this time around, I promise.

Ticket came in: mail not showing up in shared mailbox for everyone with permissions to said mailbox (let's call them A, B, C, and D). A can see everything, but B, C, and D cannot. Alright sure, easy enough. Permissions are probably on fire. Get the team in charge of that to update permissions on the mailbox, they confirm, everything seems to be working. Well not quite, D still cannot see all mail in the mailbox (based on a test they all search for to see if it displays). Go through the usual excitement of turning off cached mode and the like, issue persists. Okay that's odd, but that's a problem for Monday; I go home for the weekend.

Come in this morning, now only one user can see the test search again. This time it's B though! So B is working, but A, C, and D are not. Welp.

I expect some poo poo is going on with the hybrid setup but that's not my problem! Sometimes being free of MSP life is nice, but times like this can be frustrating because I don't have the access to troubleshoot this poo poo myself. Hopefully I'll be out of this position and into a more useful one sooner rather than later (they are very aware of my desire to do so and support it).

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Ticket came in: mail not showing up in shared mailbox for everyone with permissions to said mailbox (let's call them A, B, C, and D). A can see everything, but B, C, and D cannot. Alright sure, easy enough. Permissions are probably on fire. Get the team in charge of that to update permissions on the mailbox, they confirm, everything seems to be working. Well not quite, D still cannot see all mail in the mailbox (based on a test they all search for to see if it displays). Go through the usual excitement of turning off cached mode and the like, issue persists. Okay that's odd, but that's a problem for Monday; I go home for the weekend.

Come in this morning, now only one user can see the test search again. This time it's B though! So B is working, but A, C, and D are not. Welp.

I expect some poo poo is going on with the hybrid setup but that's not my problem! Sometimes being free of MSP life is nice, but times like this can be frustrating because I don't have the access to troubleshoot this poo poo myself. Hopefully I'll be out of this position and into a more useful one sooner rather than later (they are very aware of my desire to do so and support it).
I have had the same search in Outlook minutes apart return different results. And that's for my mailbox, not a shared one. Have you tried looking for the emails in question, without searching?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Thanatosian posted:

I have had the same search in Outlook minutes apart return different results. And that's for my mailbox, not a shared one. Have you tried looking for the emails in question, without searching?

I have asked the team with access to do exactly that before I go trekking around rebuilding indexes for multiple users. Will let you know.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
I'm interviewing for a government IT position in an hour, wish me luck~

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Good luck!

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Thanatosian posted:

Exchange shared mailboxes are a dumpster fire at the best of times.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Are you working at my company? We have a similar issue and ITs first suggestion was to remove access to these boxes from members who didn't need/use it. Fewer profiles to replicate to meant shorter delays on emails appearing for members.

Granted we had like 30 people accessing the mailbox, so cutting down the list was a good idea anyway.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Is that the PowerBI suite? It owns and is a good alternative to Tableau.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ChubbyThePhat posted:

A ticket came in: approval request for Microsoft PowerApps. Has anyone used this before? I've never heard of it, but I have my morning to test it out and see what it's all about. Figured I'd head off some of that work by asking here too.

I'm doing a project with PowerApps right now so I can answer some specific questions if you have them.

In broad strokes it fills a couple roles in the Microsoft ecosystem. It is the de-facto replacement to InfoPath in Sharepoint Online, but also allows you to create stand-alone* apps that hook up to nearly any data-source. It integrates with Flow for logic, and is part of the "Power Platform" which also includes PowerBI.

* can link to them directly in the browser or run them in the mobile app.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
It's Spring Break! The one decent break we get the entirety of second semester and the one everyone in education (and students) looks forward to. Friday at 5:00 I officially hosed off for nine whole days with big plans to finally clean up the debris from the tornado that nearly killed me a few weeks ago.

Until Saturday, when more tornadoes went ripping through the area. BUT, after a few terse false positives, the storms passed and everything was looking great.

Until Sunday, when my phone blew up at 7:00a from multiple people complaining that the internet was down on campus. STUDENTS are working on SCIENCE FAIR PROJECTS and need internet NOW.

To preface, we have some really old UPSes in our main server room that don't last real long during a power outage and the backside of campus loses power about 3 times a week. Our main SAN is so old it doesn't automatically boot up after a power failure so every time the power blips, I've got to go manually boot it back up. I've been asking for new UPSes for years, but keep getting denied. They've been sitting on a generator project for about 6 years with no progress.

So, I headed to campus at 7:00 on spring break sunday morning to reboot the SAN so dumbfuck kids can work on their dumbfuck science projects instead of going to their dumbfuck homes for dumbfuck spring break.

What I found was that one of our very old UPSes has completely died. So on spring break Sunday morning I solo replaced a rack mounted UPS with a spare I had laying around.

And that's where the fun began.

Once everything powered up, our primary DC did not. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get it to spin up, and this is officially out of my scope of knowledge. My network guy is in Panama as we speak and can't do anything until Tuesday. It's not a big deal though, because we have the secondary DC to fall back on. It's booting up nicely and everything should be great.

Except our web filter refuses to use it for authentication, our WiFi refuses to use it for DHCP or DNS resolution, and no computers seem to be wild about trusting it for GPOs. I managed to do what I could by reconfiguring the web filter to not require authentication and just lump every user into the student filtering rules, but this only works for hard wired computers. WiFi is still a crapshoot, and no GPO means no network shares. Still, the students can use lab computers for internet access.

After all of this, I inform the principal of what's going on and she gets pissy that I'm "ruining these kids' chances at a successful science fair project" and demanding I set up a series of wireless hotspots for them to use. Which were all checked out prior to the break. So after getting with the students and setting them up with static IPs on their devices, the chemistry teacher in charge of everything comes in to tell me they don't need the internet for what they're doing and she doesn't know what the principal is talking about.

I spent most of the night on campus trying to come up with a solution, and gave up around 3am.

The director is angry that I let this happen.
The principal is angry that I let this happen.

I just want to get the tree out of my backyard.

PS: Bonus VERY IMPORTANT IT BUSINESS:

We have this same conversation at least 14 times a year. She only wants me to come do it for her.

Spring Break!

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 11, 2019

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

larchesdanrew posted:

PS: Bonus VERY IMPORTANT IT BUSINESS:

We have this same conversation at least 14 times a year. She only wants me to come do it for her.

Spring Break!

You need to help that poor woman. You need to help that poor woman by having her send you those poems, so we can all see what exactly needs to be sent to a judge in poem form.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Wizard of the Deep posted:

You need to help that poor woman. You need to help that poor woman by having her send you those poems, so we can all see what exactly needs to be sent to a judge in poem form.

Entries for creative writing contests?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Is this a courthouse judge or a poetry contest judge?

EDIT, near-simultaneous post

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

God drat I thought we were on the brink of seeing subpoenas in haiku form and process servers reciting sonnets on your doorstep

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

larchesdanrew posted:

What I found was that one of our very old UPSes has completely died. So on spring break Sunday morning I solo replaced a rack mounted UPS with a spare I had laying around.

You whole post is bizarre but don't do this poo poo, at all. You will gently caress your back up and it won't be something you can fix.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Thanks Ants posted:

You whole post is bizarre but don't do this poo poo, at all. You will gently caress your back up and it won't be something you can fix.

When I worked for the MSP I regularly had to recruit random people at the client site to help me rack UPSes and it never got less stupid.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I would like to enter into evidence exhibit A:

"Me: online bully
You: a big dumb piece of poo poo
gently caress you, idiot"

The judge stamps guilty on a form and writes "B-" on the haiku

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

In my defense, the server room is right by the engineering lab so I was able to whip up a little rolling pallet the exact height to slide the thing in.

I'm unfortunate, but I'm not stupid.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

larchesdanrew posted:

Time for a new thread title.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah, I wrecked my wrist once trying to heave a 21" CRT off the top of a filing cabinet and onto a cart. Heavy lifting is best done in teams.

Also, the day the civil engineering firm started replacing the CRTs with LCDs was the most glorious day. Until I realized I was on the hook to get rid of all the CRTs. Most of the designers had two.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Is this a courthouse judge or a poetry contest judge?

EDIT, near-simultaneous post

Thats what we call double dipping.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Yeah, I wrecked my wrist once trying to heave a 21" CRT off the top of a filing cabinet and onto a cart. Heavy lifting is best done in teams.

Also, the day the civil engineering firm started replacing the CRTs with LCDs was the most glorious day. Until I realized I was on the hook to get rid of all the CRTs. Most of the designers had two.

I did a year as first line / general IT support and it was during a CRT to LCD changeover, which for some reason happened in 2008. I had a little cart and would stack the old screens up on pallets and then wrap the lot in plastic ready to be hauled away. Must have swapped hundreds out, especially as I got into the practise of walking up to anybody with a CRT who wasn’t treating me like poo poo and diagnosing it as having geometry or focus problems and replacing it with an LCD.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

$1 says the problem is DNS.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Thanks Ants posted:

I did a year as first line / general IT support and it was during a CRT to LCD changeover, which for some reason happened in 2008. I had a little cart and would stack the old screens up on pallets and then wrap the lot in plastic ready to be hauled away. Must have swapped hundreds out, especially as I got into the practise of walking up to anybody with a CRT who wasn’t treating me like poo poo and diagnosing it as having geometry or focus problems and replacing it with an LCD.
In my first internship waaaaay back in 2005 there were a lot of floor moves due to building renovation so we ended up moving everything from our store room to the disabled toilet on the second floor because nobody used it. When moving it all back to our newer, shinier store room, one of us interns got tired or stupid or just didn't care and pulled a CRT by the cable across the floor. It hopped onto the glass front and HOLY gently caress did those non-slip tiles tear the poo poo out of the screen. Being the honest sort I am, I reported the stupidity of this mysterious intern to the boss, whose response I remember to this day.

"Do you think you could accidentally do that to a few more?"

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Thanks Ants posted:

Must have swapped hundreds out, especially as I got into the practise of walking up to anybody with a CRT who wasn’t treating me like poo poo and diagnosing it as having geometry or focus problems and replacing it with an LCD.

"I want an LCD. What do I need to do to get one?"
"How badly do you want it?"
"I mean...I have one at home, it's real nice."
"I take cash, checks, and beer."
"Oh. It's like that."
"Last guy gave me Heineken and I moved him to the bottom of the list. Don't make the same mistake."

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
I had a MS rep message me on Teams today to ask if I wanted to close an Azure ticket I had open.

That was a bit shocking at 9am. Made me double check out external messaging settings, though I suspect MS is whitelisted on the back end.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

I had a MS rep message me on Teams today to ask if I wanted to close an Azure ticket I had open.

That was a bit shocking at 9am. Made me double check out external messaging settings, though I suspect MS is whitelisted on the back end.

I would be a little upset that the person was contacting you on a platform you hadn't authorized. Its just as weird as them sending you a linked in message to update you on your tickets status.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I was so happy when my boss gave me the order to get rid of all remaining CRTs on the office floor.

Also secretly a little happy about how annoyed he was that I included his CRT while he was at lunch.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

$1 says the problem is DNS.

My guess: Secondary DC did not grab FSMO roles and is not able to successfully update components of active directory which is bolluxing up things like GPOs.

larchesdanrew posted:

Another vote for thread title.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Agrikk posted:

My guess: Secondary DC did not grab FSMO roles and is not able to successfully update components of active directory which is bolluxing up things like GPOs.

Another vote for thread title.

Could also be that the secondary DC is not global catalog for some reason.

Ask me why this is the first thing that comes to my mind.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

I've been asking for new UPSes for years, but keep getting denied. They've been sitting on a generator project for about 6 years with no progress.
If asked to provide a root cause analysis for the problems, make sure these two are both in 48 point bold.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
A ticket came in to Verizon, it looks like texting/mms is down for a good chunk of the US. Hate to be the one fixing that issue!

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

larchesdanrew posted:

I spent most of the night on campus trying to come up with a solution, and gave up around 3am.

...why

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I'm the sole member of an often unfairly vilified and poorly misunderstood department and a salaried employee in a right to work state with almost zero tech jobs. I don't really have the luxury of making waves.

I do what needs to be done because I'm a combination slave to this job and a self-destructive workaholic.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

My vote.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Potato Salad posted:

Do you have access to tactical nuclear weapons?
God I wish.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

quote:

Subject
You guys made the user for this stupid and long.

Please do tell me more about your long stupid users.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Make them another account named "stupid_and_short".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

Make them another account named "stupid_and_short".

stupid_and_float