Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

you have your aaron banks types, surely, or the wetherspoons bloke

if you're stupendously rich you can just ignore the whole u-non-u dichotomy, but the old money crowd are always going to titter behind your back

Yeah but, like, if posh horsefuckers tittering at you and capital gains tax are the worst things you have to worry about, that's class in action, innit?

Some of us have posh horsefuckers hawing at us and no loving money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

radmonger posted:

.5% of the £96 billion annual pension budget would actually be enough to buy a squadron of F35s ($96 million each), so I don’t think it counts as petty cash.
As Keynes JeremoudCorbynejad posted earlier, that money goes back into the economy of all those admin jobs though, as opposed to sideways into a carrier deck.

radmonger posted:

One day, the world will be a classless society of aristocrats. Everyone will have equally massive wealth by right, and will be free to pursue the hobbies that interest them without financial reward. The trick is getting to there from here; its not like it can be done by simply gradually expanding the number of life peerages awarded each year.
Second largest upper house in the world, it's not like they aren't trying.

ThomasPaine posted:

It's quite interesting because I suppose what we have here is an almost dual class system - the 'British class system' which is all culture and breeding and borderline feudal in character, and the more precisely defined Marxist notion. They're related though separate concepts, and I often feel that one of the major problems we have in British discourse is that we never clearly distinguish between them, so debate often becomes a load of people talking past each other.
https://twitter.com/LeavingPlanet/status/1105114966695251968

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

ThomasPaine posted:

Actually, it's 'exploiting the labour of others' vs. 'selling your labour', and this is for some reason difficult for people to understand because some of the former like chips and some of the latter like wine

You don't get to be in the 'have so much money you can literally never spend it all' class without exploiting others' labour, and by and large you remain in the 'have money' class if you choose not to.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Ash Crimson posted:

What are you trying to say?

Thig Ar Latha

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Pretty sure Marx was convinced the UK would be the first to experience revolution because of how developed its industrial capitalism was compared to elsewhere? He certainly would have been shocked that it ended up being Russia.

thespaceinvader posted:

You don't get to be in the 'have so much money you can literally never spend it all' class without exploiting others' labour, and by and large you remain in the 'have money' class if you choose not to.

True that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's a shame he died because I would have really liked to see what he thought of leninism.

In my mind it's probably just that video of the plane crashing into the forest with the guy going "ohhh nooo".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAg-WauGrLU

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 11, 2019

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Tuned into parliament tv a few minutes ago and the first question I hear read out in the house of commons is about the anime dating sim doki doki literature club, lmao.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Rookoo posted:

Tuned into parliament tv a few minutes ago and the first question I hear read out in the house of commons is about the anime dating sim doki doki literature club, lmao.

Wtf really?

What time?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Rookoo posted:

Isn't that 2 or 3 years old? loving Nora.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

Wtf really?

What time?

Round about 15:16 I think? Dunno if you can rewind while it’s still live.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

Pretty sure Marx was convinced the UK would be the first to experience revolution because of how developed its industrial capitalism was compared to elsewhere? He certainly would have been shocked that it ended up being Russia.
I think he thought it would be somewhere in Western Europe certainly, probably Germany during the Second Industrial Revolution.

British society has inoculated itself with bizarre class ideas and is bad is where I'm going with this, the sort of thing that cultural Marxism (actual cultural Marxism, not whatever nazis and Gordon the Lobster think it is) tries to provide an analysis for.

Rookoo posted:

So what did he think of it?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Barclay is my local MP.

I did not vote for him.

[edit] I hope Tom Watson dies in a hell fie because he's a oval office.

[edit] Alcoholand Tegretol makes my s`hands shake.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

ThomasPaine posted:

It's quite interesting because I suppose what we have here is an almost dual class system - the 'British class system' which is all culture and breeding and borderline feudal in character, and the more precisely defined Marxist notion. They're related though separate concepts, and I often feel that one of the major problems we have in British discourse is that we never clearly distinguish between them, so debate often becomes a load of people talking past each other.
I never actually read any Marx past the Communist Manifesto, but isn't "cultural capital" something that he explicitly accounts for? Like, someone who talks posh, knows how to dress & which forks to use, is the right colour &c doesn't have to work as hard as someone who doesn't have those things because bourgeois society accepts them as the right sort, regardless of their actual relationship to capital

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Petition to call the rump state of the UK post brexit Alcoholand.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
we should go back to basics in brexit Britain and rename the country Albion again.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah but, like, if posh horsefuckers tittering at you and capital gains tax are the worst things you have to worry about, that's class in action, innit?

Some of us have posh horsefuckers hawing at us and no loving money.

Yes, but it's also worth considering the flip-side - being poor with a posh RP accent is absolutely playing on easy-mode. People give you far more leeway in pretty much every scenario.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Darth Walrus posted:

Yes, but it's also worth considering the flip-side - being poor with a posh RP accent is absolutely playing on easy-mode. People give you far more leeway in pretty much every scenario.
Except at school, where you'd get the piss kicked out of you.

Unless you went to the sort of school where RP was the norm, which is a far more material advantage for later life.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lmao https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1105128746422550534

she's just tottering along in her own little world

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
No idea if embedding video works on these hellforums so here.

https://twitter.com/MonsNoobis/status/1105130000309780482

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

and sending an undersecretary wtf https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1105129547492663296

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Petition to call the rump state of the UK post brexit Alcoholand.

Poundland.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rookoo posted:

Are they paying for that ad?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, as passably posh RP accent on demand haver, it sort of helps but it doesn't actually fix your lovely circumstances.

I would not call it "easy mode" because "easy mode" is being born into money. Having useful social traits might give you a slight edge in some situations over other working class people but it is absolutely not a substitute in any way for real capital or connections. To the point I find it to be a pretty useless distinction, quite honestly.

Like I'd rather have one when talking to the cops or something and I definitely am glad I'm not black and therefore far less likely to be murdered by the cops or random people on the street but the reason there are so many working class people in varying flavours of poo poo is because of the rich fuckers.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 11, 2019

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Yes

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Are they paying for that ad?

The commons trembles in the wake of Gabe Newell.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, as passably posh RP accent on demand haver, it sort of helps but it doesn't actually fix your lovely circumstances.

I would not call it "easy mode" because "easy mode" is being born into money. Having useful social traits might give you a slight edge in some situations over other working class people but it is absolutely not a substitute in any way for real capital or connections.

It’s like playing on “Hurt Me Plenty” instead of on “Ultraviolence”.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Poundlanded in the Butt By Brexit

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also to be quite honest even the RP accent is of limited use. I've stopped using it most of the time because a cheeky chappie northern twang gets you better results and less likely to have your head kicked in round here.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Anecdotal, but. I have quite a posh accent (for reasons that escape me- none of my family has such a strong one) and went to public school. Where I was mercilessly bullied for most of my time there, primarily for my accent. Lots of kids from super rich jewish families who came from the mean gangster-ridden streets of Hampstead Garden Suburb making like they were from da ghetto despite getting a Mercedes for their 17th and so on.

Nowadays being unemployed and long-term sick while living om a pretty lovely estate, I still sound like I stepped out of PG Wodehouse. Oddly my younger brother who went to a full on boarding school with the future queen came home from his first term sounding like a squeaky-voiced thug.

Regarding leeway.. eh. Sometimes a posh accent does help, but I've had a lot mlre grief and negative reactions to mine than positive ones. Well, unless you're in America where it really is social-God-mode. My accent got me laid so much when i was travelling there as a younger man that I was only part joking when I used to call those jaunts sex-tourism.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum

WhatEvil posted:

It’s like playing on “Hurt Me Plenty” instead of on “Ultraviolence”.

There was a pretty good long read on the Guardian on this (taken from a book on the topic), the thrust of which is that the main advantage is one of opportunity - it doesn’t make you succeed, it just gives you far more chances in which to succeed. I’m sure this is no surprise to anyone in the thread, but I’d recommend it all the same: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/feb/07/the-class-pay-gap-why-it-pays-to-be-privileged

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah you have to tailor it to your audience. Some people respond well to a posher voice, some people prefer a more informal one. Knowing when and being able to switch is the better skill.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
img the joker from the dark knight saying “we live in a society” gamer gang weed meme

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

Poundlanded in the Butt By Brexit

Pounded in the butt by some people more inclined to pound pigs heads in the mouth until my butt is Poundland.

Nominated for a Hugo award.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
My theory: May isn't in Strasbourg, she's just absent from the question in order to embarrass everyone who had pre written speeches addressing her.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
My accent is like a sponge. I tend to unconsciously adopt the inflections of whoever I'm talking to.

Like if I'm talking to my American supervisor I'll hear myself slightly extending my vowels like him. Likewise, if I'm talking to my city friends it switches to contracting vowels. I think it's a defence mechanism.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Think that's fairly normal, I do it too. Which is why I don't like spending long away cos I come back sounding like some kind of mutant.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Bedshaped posted:

My accent is like a sponge. I tend to unconsciously adopt the inflections of whoever I'm talking to.

Like if I'm talking to my American supervisor I'll hear myself slightly extending my vowels like him. Likewise, if I'm talking to my city friends it switches to contracting vowels. I think it's a defence mechanism.

I do the same, but with dialectical elements.

It's a loving miracle I didn't get stabbed working in a supermarket in Glasgow.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
glad that the ukmt agrees that because i sell my labour as a hedge fund quant, i am working class

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Rookoo posted:

Where does she go with this?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

Where does she go with this?!

Basically says it's dangerous for children to be playing games like that and gets a wishy washy answer in response.