Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
I swear there was a line when they first entered Mar-Vell's Lab ship about there being many more groups of Skrull and it being implied that they were going to be off to find more. Hence not giving a gently caress about the Tesseract.

Also, Earth in the Marvel Universe doesn't really have the best track record in dealing with not getting all murdery at mutants/metahumans of their own species, never mind a species of shapeshifters.

Edit: lol, if they do a Skrull Invasion after this it would be tasteless as gently caress though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Noise Complaint posted:

I swear there was a line when they first entered Mar-Vell's Lab ship about there being many more groups of Skrull and it being implied that they were going to be off to find more. Hence not giving a gently caress about the Tesseract.

That was in the movie. The Skrulls never want to stay and no one is forced them to leave. There was no character saying "You can't stay here." They wanted to go to find the other members of their race and find a homeworld outside of the range of the Kree, CM is helping them do that. In real world terms the ending isn't "Refugees have made it to Crete, now they need to GET OFF!", it's "Refugees have made it to Crete and are now going to Germany, where they have relatives."

If there's a Captain Marvel 2 it's possible that they reveal that the Skrulls are fudging things a bit and that the Kree Skrull war is more even than it's made out to be here. It's just as possible that CM2 would never touch on it other than saying briefly that the Skrulls are all safe on a new homeworld as CM has unrelated adventures.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There are some incredibly dumb poo poo takes in this thread on the refugee thing and it comes as no surprise that's coming from the usual suspects in CD.

Anywho this was a great movie and it made me even more excited for End Game.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I just think it would have been cool if humans and Skrulls cohabited Earth and ushered in a new era of human/Skrull history that elevated the planet in the MCU cosmos. I understand that can't happen because of MCU continuity, but the film never gave me any reason to think that couldn't have happened, not when Carol can literally protect the entire planet and everyone on it.

Similar scenario would have been like, say in Man of Steel, instead of Zod wanting to use the World Engine to make Earth into a new Krypton, he and his group came in peace and helped the human race advance their tech, thus moving humans up the Kardeshev scale to a Type 2 civilization or something. But the film presents Zod as a crazy genocidal maniac so, yeah.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

teagone posted:

I just think it would have been cool if humans and Skrulls cohabited Earth and ushered in a new era of human/Skrull history that elevated the planet in the MCU cosmos. I understand that can't happen because of MCU continuity, but the film never gave me any reason to think that couldn't have happened, not when Carol can literally protect the entire planet and everyone on it.

Similar scenario would have been like, say in Man of Steel, instead of Zod wanting to use the World Engine to make Earth into a new Krypton, he and his group came in peace and helped the human race advance their tech, thus moving humans up the Kardeshev scale to a Type 2 civilization or something. But the film presents Zod as a crazy genocidal maniac so, yeah.
After things are resolved in End Game, the MCU should no longer beholden to a static Earth that doesn't benefit from all the crazy poo poo the heroes create or encounter. Having movies set in a post-Thanos world preparing for the next threat would do much to alleviate the samey feel the films have. Hell, there's a truckload of new storylines you could create from humanity racing to match the galaxy's other civilizations, but I'm afraid they will take the cheap nobody remembers route to keep the stories grounded. They should go hogwild and fully embrace to the science fantasy aesthetic.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

CM2 will not take place post Endgame because Marvel will be forced to spin their wheels and stall after losing James Gunn as they don't have a real vision of where to go from here. So instead it will be a safe direct sequel that tries to recycle continuity from Phase 1/2/3 in order to explain what Carol has been up to for 20 years and why she wasn't every around or mentioned before. She'll single-handedly punch the expansionist Kree Empire in the face and force them to broker peace with the Skrulls and Xandar. They'll name drop and/or cameo other galactic empires like the Shiar and Xenomorph Brood (which were all totally hanging around before now just off-screen) in order to flaunt the return of their X-Men rights. Expect a few GotG cameos too (namely Rocket and Groot since they're easy to CGI in there with the least contractually required help from their actors who may still be peeved about Gunn). Ronan will be the main villain and after he is defeated (but definitely not killed), Thanos will pop up post-credits and tell him CM got her powers from an infinity stone and he knows where another such stone is hidden all while winking at the camera. And now the Galaxy is at peace and CM will fly off to be space's top-cop or something.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

teagone posted:

So is Captain Marvel technically the first avenger?

[Edit] because the initiative was named after her callsign, and was created while Cap was still on ice.

it's Thor, who is hundreds of years old

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
awful.app fuckup

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Or they're numbered in the thousands on a technologically and culturally advanced planet and Carol's still looking for more with a select group of Skrulls on the ship and they're having fun space adventures along the way.

yes, this is likely. maybe they will find our old family dog in that park i was told she got sent to. can't even imagine the adventures captain marvel, the skrulls and my dog are having, right now.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

R. Guyovich posted:

yes, this is likely. maybe they will find our old family dog in that park i was told she got sent to. can't even imagine the adventures captain marvel, the skrulls and my dog are having, right now.

are you really trying to show off how clever and cynical you are for reading the happy-ish ending of a mainstream blockbuster as secretly bad actually

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Cease to Hope posted:

are you really trying to show off how clever and cynical you are for reading the happy-ish ending of a mainstream blockbuster as secretly bad actually

i'm reading that poster's pollyanna-ish hypotheticals as ridiculous supposition not based on anything in the movie.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Captain Marvel is a refugee-hating piece of poo poo

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
At the end of Superman, when he flies off into space and winks at the camera, he's leaving and isn't coming back. If you think he's just going out for a bit of fun, then you probably think my dad is coming back from the store after leaving 20 years ago, you naive child, you idiot simpleton.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Mar 11, 2019

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

At the end of Superman, when he flies off into space and winks at the camera, he's leaving and isn't coming back. If you think he's just going out for a bit of fun, then you probably think your dad is coming back from the store after leaving 20 years ago, you naive child, you idiot simpleton.

Superman Returns actually confirms parts of this.

He also knocked up Lois before he left, but mind-raped her into forgetting so she thinks Cyclops is the dad.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Grendels Dad posted:

Superman Returns actually confirms parts of this.

He also knocked up Lois before he left, but mind-raped her into forgetting so she thinks Cyclops is the dad.

gently caress!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
The argument "an ending is good because the music says so" seems really short-sighted and can lead to some pretty bad assertions of value imho

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
for example, here is a movie in which the presentation clearly suggests a triumphant and happy ending as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ-gmL_wflc

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

for example, here is a movie in which the presentation clearly suggests a triumphant and happy ending as well

Oh gently caress off.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Oh gently caress off.

Dont get mad at me because you didn't consider the implications of your argument before making them

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

this is some pretty transparent trolling

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

this is some pretty transparent trolling

How so? He said that a film shouldn't be seen as having a problematic ending because the film clearly wants us to see it as triumphant and happy. I showed the issue with this hypothesis.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Intent and actual execution can be two totally separate things. I say this as someone who finds CM's ending effective and uplifting.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

How so? He said that a film shouldn't be seen as having a problematic ending because the film clearly wants us to see it as triumphant and happy. I showed the issue with this hypothesis.

This is straight out of the same Ben Shapiro "own you with facts and logic" playbook being used by everyone else making discussion of this film literally anywhere on the internet completely intolerable. The only difference is that you've adopted a veneer of caring about social justice to better appeal to your venue. You're no better than any of them.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Noise Complaint posted:

Also, Earth in the Marvel Universe doesn't really have the best track record in dealing with not getting all murdery at mutants/metahumans of their own species, never mind a species of shapeshifters.

This came up when the Civil War comic happened, the X-Men just peaced out of the storyline completely because I guess the writers forgot the X-Men had been dealing with superhero registration/etc. type storylines for literal decades.

Noise Complaint posted:

Edit: lol, if they do a Skrull Invasion after this it would be tasteless as gently caress though

Avengers films in 2020 and on: OUR BEAUTIFUL BRAVE AVENGERS HOLDING THE LINE AT THE WALL AGAINST THESE DECEPTIVE MONSTERS WHO COULD BE ANYONE SOME OF THEM ARE ALREADY HERE MANY ARE SAYING THAT A YOUNG HUMAN GIRL WAS KILLED BY A BLOW TO A HEAD FROM OFF-WORLD TECH A SKRULL THROUGH OVER A WALL TO SMUGGLE INTO OUR FAIR PLANET!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

This is straight out of the same Ben Shapiro "own you with facts and logic" playbook being used by everyone else making discussion of this film literally anywhere on the internet completely intolerable. The only difference is that you've adopted a veneer of caring about social justice to better appeal to your venue. You're no better than any of them.

Criticism is not a team sport. I am not beholden to praise simply because terrible people also express condemnation. You seem to want the film to be given a blanket immunity from any sort of serious analysis because "the bad guys" dislike the movie.

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Intent and actual execution can be two totally separate things. I say this as someone who finds CM's ending effective and uplifting.

I am not sure what this point has to do with the topic being discussed

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

teagone posted:

This x10,000. I kind of hate how after all this stuff that goes down (even since Avengers 1) that earth is still, like, how earth is now. Like yeah there's more superheroes and there's SHIELD but this is a setting where a "space force" would be completely understandable. Like in kaiju and superhero stuff in Japan there's just an obvious like, whelp, this poo poo is real and part of daily society now. Thor talks about this happening even in Avengers 1, how the rest of the galaxy looks on at earth since it seems about to ascend to the "next level" of warfare or whatever, but hey there was crazy sci-fi stuff and aliens and everything even going back to WWII and to when the vikings were worshipping Odin and stuff. And each character's individual movie is about how, hey, laser weapons/aliens/whatever is real and in the real world and folks know about it, but absolutely nothing changes up because of that.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Neo Rasa posted:

This x10,000. I kind of hate how after all this stuff that goes down (even since Avengers 1) that earth is still, like, how earth is now. Like yeah there's more superheroes and there's SHIELD but this is a setting where a "space force" would be completely understandable. Like in kaiju and superhero stuff in Japan there's just an obvious like, whelp, this poo poo is real and part of daily society now. Thor talks about this happening even in Avengers 1, how the rest of the galaxy looks on at earth since it seems about to ascend to the "next level" of warfare or whatever, but hey there was crazy sci-fi stuff and aliens and everything even going back to WWII and to when the vikings were worshipping Odin and stuff. And each character's individual movie is about how, hey, laser weapons/aliens/whatever is real and in the real world and folks know about it, but absolutely nothing changes up because of that.

I was thinking the same thing, there should at least be a move towards increasing humanity's presence in our local space. Kinda like how Independence Day 2 did it, with a forward defense system being set up on the moon.

It's the kind of thing Stark would have been putting his money into. On second thought, it would be seen as a parallel to Elon Musk. So nevermind that part then.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

As Nero Danced posted:

I was thinking the same thing, there should at least be a move towards increasing humanity's presence in our local space. Kinda like how Independence Day 2 did it, with a forward defense system being set up on the moon.

It's the kind of thing Stark would have been putting his money into. On second thought, it would be seen as a parallel to Elon Musk. So nevermind that part then.

He was. That was the catalyst for Age of Ultron.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Phylodox posted:

He was. That was the catalyst for Age of Ultron.

Oh yeah, I forgot. I haven't re-watched that movie in ages.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am not sure what this point has to do with the topic being discussed

In regards to the tone of the score at the end and the implications of the final scene's actions. As someone who thinks the music in CM reflects a properly happy ending I was trying to remind that a movie thinking it has a happy ending and a movie actually having a happy ending can be two different things. That's all!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
When TFF sends its movie critics, they're not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Neo Rasa posted:

To that point, Red Skull and Arnim Zola cooked up super-laser weapons in the 1940s, and somehow that tech doesn't seem to mature at all or start creeping into society anywhere. Granted, the tesseract used to power all that stuff is lost for some time and at some point isn't on earth, but still, how doesn't any of that influence technology and design within the universe?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Doronin posted:

To that point, Red Skull and Arnim Zola cooked up super-laser weapons in the 1940s, and somehow that tech doesn't seem to mature at all or start creeping into society anywhere. Granted, the tesseract used to power all that stuff is lost for some time and at some point isn't on earth, but still, how doesn't any of that influence technology and design within the universe?

This sorta needs to be seen within context of the Advanced Nazi Science trope, where a lot of nazi science stuff is portrayed in fiction as super advance and then just disappears at the end of the war. In the MCU it doesn't spread because the US and USSR paperclipped everything and kept it all top super secret; and without the tesseract, neither can really figure out how to replicate it and just leave it on the back burner and takes a while for alternative power sources (the arc fusion reactor) to become viable.

Aside from HYDRA which went into sleep mode, there don't really exist the material conditions for suitcase nukes and laptops/cellphones that enable wide far flung terrorist organizations to operate. Most nation states in the developing world are heavily dependent on funding and arms sales from either the US/West or the Warsaw Pact for arms, and the USSR/US aren't sending over superweapon prototypes that they haven't even figured out themselves.

We start seeing stuff start to spread as vibranium gets stolen from Wakanda and HYDRA wakes up and the alien invasions leave a lot of alien space tech debris lying around for war profiteers to reverse engineer and resell to terrorist groups or rogue states.

Earth's problem regarding tech and a more advanced military is that it keeps shooting itself in the foot and the blowback keeps making them withdraw their heads into their shell. The Avengers being too good at beating up space aliens for their own good results in the Accords and the resulting break up that resets the world's willingness to use meta humans as it's front line. HYDRA's infiltration of the US government and SHIELD made the world wary of entrusting its defence to massive fuckoff space battleships. The space tech is just too advanced for earth's own good so each attempt to look at space defence more seriously keeps getting arrested by internal issues.

Wakanda opening up and Thanos's visit might change things finally.

Edit: It probably doesn't help that the UN doesn't even have the level of authority the United States did when it signed the Articles of Confederation and Earth is a deeply divided multinational planet while all the big important space people are all unified polities; that makes gathering the resources for a Stargate SG-1 style "Department of Homeworld Defence difficult".

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 11, 2019

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You’ve asserted it has a problematic ending. Just you. The immigrants clearly never wanted to stay on earth, and trying to find a new home and (this is key) the rest of their people, is not anti immigrant, it’s pro immigrant. You’re writing all of this like you desperately want to be the 9th writer on a writing staff that the rest of the staff hates because he thinks he’s smarter than them but he’s really just a pain in the rear end for going on random tangents whenever he’s called on his poo poo. You, in essence are trying to be Jude Law “prove it to me!” And that you don’t see it would be funny if we could get someone else in this thread looking into the camera and mugging the moment.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

LionArcher posted:

You’ve asserted it has a problematic ending. Just you.

Uh

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It sure improves Valerian in retrospect.

teagone posted:

Lmao, yeah. What reason is there that the Skrulls couldn't stay on Earth again? I just remember Maria saying they can't and that was that. Talos even wanted to be Fury's boss again and they wouldn't let him :(

Waffles Inc. posted:

In the movie I saw we kicked them out though?

“Let’s help them but they have to leave eventually!” is some gross centrism of the worst kind

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

People remember wrong.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I think assuming that “Earth” in this movie represents America is a very Amerocentric view. The end of the movie isn’t refugees being told to leave America, it’s them beginning the journey to find their America. Earth is like Greece. It’s the job of the entire galactic community to help resettle, not just those countries who are easiest for the refugees to reach.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

I said come in! posted:

Anywho this was a great movie and it made me even more excited for End Game.

The post-credits scene is on Youtube, and I can't stop watching it. I'm hyped.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Alright, who got mad enough they opened their wallet lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I can’t even tell who the character is