Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I better not mention that Peter Parker dies in Into the Spider-Verse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Captain Marvel brings back two long-dead villains from Guardians of the Galaxy, only their screen-time is so short and their relevance to the plot so incidental that they might as well have been different characters.

vvvv: This movie takes place before GotG, and the two characters were in the marketing.

I just saw it, and I remember one that's super obvious Ronan but who was the second?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Djimon Hounsou as Korath

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA

Gaunab posted:

Djimon Hounsou as Korath

Who?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

the guy from blood diamond, you know, the guy who got our hero leo dicapprio killed.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Gaunab posted:

Djimon Hounsou as Korath

I knew he was familiar, but I did not recognize he was supposed to be the same character. I mean it's obvious in hindsight, but that movie was a long time ago and he was not that big a part of it.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008

I-Understood-That-Reference.gif

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
There was a weird amount of camera-barreling in Captain Marvel. And the Stan Lee cameo was...awkward.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Coffee And Pie posted:

There was a weird amount of camera-barreling in Captain Marvel. And the Stan Lee cameo was...awkward.

He was reading his lines from mallrats. It was cool.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

He was reading his lines from mallrats. It was cool.

I get that but then there’s like a solid ten seconds of them just smiling at each other and then wordlessly parting ways

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What's worse is how the official Stan Lee twitter account still tweets

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Not even death will stop Stan Lee from hyping up Marvel products! Excelsior!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
As someone who doesn't watch marketing precisely to avoid spoilers, I would still appreciate some tags on stuff like that.

Like, 'it was in the trailers' could be used for the justification of, for example, spoiling that the T-800 in Terminator 2 was actually the good guy this time around, which was a huge moment in the film.

Marketers don't know poo poo about making a movie enjoyable to watch, they'll spoil the whole film if it means getting more money spent on the movie.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Was that actually supposed to be a secret?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Morpheus posted:

As someone who doesn't watch marketing precisely to avoid spoilers, I would still appreciate some tags on stuff like that.

Like, 'it was in the trailers' could be used for the justification of, for example, spoiling that the T-800 in Terminator 2 was actually the good guy this time around, which was a huge moment in the film.

Marketers don't know poo poo about making a movie enjoyable to watch, they'll spoil the whole film if it means getting more money spent on the movie.

It was in the past and they were Kree. I get your point in principle. But this particular instance is okay.
Everybody should stop talking about the Stan Lee cameo though.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Len posted:

Was that actually supposed to be a secret?

Yeah. The way the movie is edited in the beginning makes it looks like Robert Patrick is another Kyle Reese, sent back to save John from another T-800. If I remember right, you never see him kill anyone or in general do anything 'evil', whereas the T-800 is portrayed menacingly. That is, until the scene where John is saved by the T-800.

Edit: Unless you're taking about the Captain Marvel stuff. No idea. Probably not, but still. It's not something I'd get mad about, but whatever.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

My ex had never seen or heard anything about the films besides the name and them having killer robots, so her surprise at Arnold saying "Get down." to John as he flips out that shotgun from the box of roses inspired great envy in me, what a moment to experience untainted.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

My ex had never seen or heard anything about the films besides the name and them having killer robots, so her surprise at Arnold saying "Get down." to John as he flips out that shotgun from the box of roses inspired great envy in me, what a moment to experience untainted.

This is my and my gf, except for (of all fuckin' things) Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, when it's revealed what Dio's stand power is. I had already been spoiled via memes and video games when I watched it, but she was completely fresh to it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Morpheus posted:

Yeah. The way the movie is edited in the beginning makes it looks like Robert Patrick is another Kyle Reese, sent back to save John from another T-800. If I remember right, you never see him kill anyone or in general do anything 'evil', whereas the T-800 is portrayed menacingly. That is, until the scene where John is saved by the T-800.

I need to rewatch T2 someday because my memory has the T1000 being quiet and menacing while Arnold drops into the present, Bad to the Bone plays, and he beats up some bikers for laughs.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Len posted:

I need to rewatch T2 someday because my memory has the T1000 being quiet and menacing while Arnold drops into the present, Bad to the Bone plays, and he beats up some bikers for laughs.

Arnie being bad to the bone could just be candy for the fans of T1. Also T1000 is pretty friendly for a cop when he talks to John's foster parents:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNwy0R_0im0

I never noticed the bwaamm leitmotif in this scene, though, it's much subtler than the scenes where the mask is off.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

T1000 arrival: https://youtu.be/6P4m3f0huNI

T800 arrival: https://youtu.be/QH8tFNzJ9cE

T1000, arrives and cold clocks a cop without a word.

T800, arrives tells a guy to give him his clothes and then fights back once attacked. Then bad to the bone plays.

Those scenes are cut in certain ways alright but it isn't to make the t1000 look like a good guy

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sure, they could both be evil I guess.

also, this is just good praxis:

Len posted:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Len posted:

T800, arrives tells a guy to give him his clothes and then fights back once attacked. Then bad to the bone plays.

Those scenes are cut in certain ways alright but it isn't to make the t1000 look like a good guy

In the first movie, Kyle robs a homeless man and steals his pants.

With the T1000, you see him "punch" a cop in the gut and "steal" his clothes.

Only afterwards do you realise that he used his sword hand to kill the cop and mimic wearing his clothing.

In the first movie, the T800 didn't attack anyone until after they attacked it. It asked them to remove their clothes, too.

The arrival scenes are cut to echo the first movie. One good guy, one bad guy.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 17:19 on Mar 11, 2019

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
In this case, "it was in the trailer" means someone's HAT was seen from behind for two seconds. Non-eagle-eyed super fans may well have missed that, or assumed many Kree of a certain station wear a similar headpiece.

Spoilers suck

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

In the first movie, Kyle robs a homeless man and steals his pants.

With the T1000, you see him "punch" a cop in the gut and "steal" his clothes.

Only afterwards do you realise that he used his sword hand to kill the cop and mimic wearing his clothing.

In the first movie, the T800 didn't attack anyone until after they attacked it. It asked them to remove their clothes, too.

The arrival scenes are cut to echo the first movie. One good guy, one bad guy.

I honestly don't think I've seen the original still to this day but Arnold never came across as a bad guy to me :shrug:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

I honestly don't think I've seen the original still to this day but Arnold never came across as a bad guy to me :shrug:

It didn't really work for the same reason you never saw it that way, because by the time T2 came out Arnold had become the biggest movie star in the world. Most people either saw from the marketing stuff that Arnold was the good guy, or they just went in assuming he would be because they were more Arnold fans rather than fans of the first film.

It would be almost impossible to do a proper test of how effective it is now, because almost everyone in America either knows about Terminator 2 or at the very least they are aware of Arnold's career and would assume going in that he'd play the good guy.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I went into T2 not knowing Arnold was the villain. I was also on acid so that was cool.

Pretty sure I've posted it before but my IIMM with T2 is the inconsistent reactions of the dogs to the terminators. Conner says they used to use them to sniff out terminators but none of the ones at the militia camp react to Arnold.

EDIT:

And I'm irritated that in my lifetime we've somehow gotten 4 terrible Fantastic Four movies and 2 genuinely great Incredibles films.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 18:27 on Mar 11, 2019

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I usually like spoiling movies wrongly for fun for my friends. Still it's messed up that [spoiler]Carol died saving the Earth but I'm happy at least Monica is going to be the Captain Marvel in Endgame.[/spoler]

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Morpheus posted:

The original trailers were cut this way as well. It also helps that Robert Patrick wasn't known for playing villains at the time.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Definitely not all its trailers. Both Terminator 2 and From Dusk Till Dawn are movies that revealed their start of second act plot-twist in promotional material.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1mF_hX8hT4

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 18:43 on Mar 11, 2019

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
My wife didn't know about the From Dusk Til Dawn twist, so the look on her face when vampires suddenly appeared was fantastic.

Edit: Spoilered just in case.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Mierenneuker posted:

Not all of its trailers. Both Terminator 2 and From Dusk Till Dawn are movies that revealed their second act plot-twist in promotional material.

I've seen proof of T2 with actual interviews but nobody has ever been able to provide proof that From Dusk Till Dawn was ever anything except an obvious vampire movie. It's just goons going "I caught it on TV not knowing what I was watching and that twist!"

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It is wishful thinking. People wish they themselves didn’t know about the sudden genre change going in so it would have blown their mind.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Ginger Snaps is my go to "wait what the gently caress" movie because it wasn't big enough for people to have really heard about it when it came out.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Mokinokaro posted:

The original trailers were cut this way as well. It also helps that Robert Patrick wasn't known for playing villains at the time.

Was Robert Patrick known for playing anything at the time? I think his biggest role before that was Henchman #17 in Die Hard 2.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Len posted:

I've seen proof of T2 with actual interviews but nobody has ever been able to provide proof that From Dusk Till Dawn was ever anything except an obvious vampire movie. It's just goons going "I caught it on TV not knowing what I was watching and that twist!"

I haven't seen it in a while but, if we are leaving aside marketing material, I seem to remember that there is no foreshadowing of the vampires at all until they show up. Which would indicate to me it's supposed to be a surprise, because why would one expect to see vampires in what was until that point a non-supernatural action/thriller?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Lemon posted:

I haven't seen it in a while but, if we are leaving aside marketing material, I seem to remember that there is no foreshadowing of the vampires at all until they show up. Which would indicate to me it's supposed to be a surprise, because why would one expect to see vampires in what was until that point a non-supernatural action/thriller?

Especially in a film directed by a guy who did some, uh, the genre escapes me, but desperado-type films set in central america, and a screenplay by Tarantino.

(and a story by someone who did a bunch of horror films, but that's not the name that gets advertised when you've got Tarantino in the credits)

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Arnie being the good guy is definitely meant to be a surprise in T2 because otherwise the T1000 wouldn't just copy the cop's clothes, it'd copy his face too like it does with every other person in the film. :v:

BiggerBoat posted:

Pretty sure I've posted it before but my IIMM with T2 is the inconsistent reactions of the dogs to the terminators. Conner says they used to use them to sniff out terminators but none of the ones at the militia camp react to Arnold.
It's a deleted scene but I assumed this was because they'd flicked the switch to make him learn stuff, so he seemed less robotic to the dogs.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Len posted:

Mierenneuker posted:

It is wishful thinking. People wish they themselves didn’t know about the sudden genre change going in so it would have blown their mind.

I absolutely didn’t know about FDtD. I saw it on the day it released because I loved Desperado, liked Tarantino and Harvey Keitel, and that plus ‘a heist goes wrong and two brothers try to escape to Mexico’.
No internet, no smartphones, didn’t watch a lot of tv or read film magazines, which is how I guess people ended up with a ‘wtf vampires’ story about when they saw it. The trailer definitely has a ton of vampires in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Len posted:

It was like that for me, I was a fairly sheltered kid with no TV at home. Watched it on video at a friend's house and it caught me by surprise to say the least.