Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Also hi yeah i eat rear end, sticky duck I see. Nice.

I recently watched The Disaster Artist, twice. One of the best movies made in recent years IMO.

*i base this on the metric of, I felt something while watching it. That is rare

doverhog has a new favorite as of 02:09 on Mar 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

doverhog posted:

Also hi yeah i eat rear end, sticky duck I see. Nice.

I recently watched The Disaster Artist, twice. One of the best movies made in recent years IMO.

I'm glad my duck is sticking but i'm also mildly offended that my mummy curse warning is actually working.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Please go make some terrible posts or talk about eating rear end or something Lowtax needs the money again, still https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3884184

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

It's increasingly men's clothes too these days. So... equality? :eng99:

Seriously, shirts are so freaking annoying. What used to be a large is now a medium and I swear different companies have a different definition of what 34" waist means when it comes to pants.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

"Tasty" is a dumb word and I hate it.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

If in the near future a country started a war to force another country to combat climate change, or the EU harsly censured, or even took over, Germany for their coal mining, or a private individual took drastic action, they would be in the right.

It's perfectly reasonable to exact tolls on people who wanna use cars in cities, or even outright ban cars. Use a bus, or how about you walk a few miles.

doverhog has a new favorite as of 12:55 on Mar 11, 2019

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

doverhog posted:

If in the near future a country started a war to force another country to combat climate change, or the EU harsly censured, or even took over, Germany for their coal mining, or a private individual took drastic action, they would be in the right.

It's perfectly reasonable to exact tolls on people who wanna use cars in cities, or even outright ban cars. Use a bus, or how about you walk a few miles.

:qq: "but our bus service is awful! I can't use that!"
Same person ten minutes later
:byodood: "THEY WANT TO SPEND MY TAX DOLLARS TO IMPROVE BUS SERVICE???"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
So with a war, are we talking about the EU going on a nation-building world tour to force small countries into line, or taking on the US/Russia/China? Both would cause emissions to skyrocket and neither would work, but at least the first means Europe doesn’t get nuked.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I swear different companies have a different definition of what 34" waist means when it comes to pants

Men’s pant sizing has been vanity sizing for quite a while.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Subjunctive posted:

Men’s pant sizing has been vanity sizing for quite a while.

I learned this when I was learning leatherwork and made a belt for myself. I wear a 34". Measured my waist at the beltline with an actual tape measure: 39".

This might make men's sizes even stupider, since an inch should be an inch.

At least in women's sizes an arbitrary "size 10" can mean ANYTHING. 10 what?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

HaB posted:

I learned this when I was learning leatherwork and made a belt for myself. I wear a 34". Measured my waist at the beltline with an actual tape measure: 39".

10 question marks.

Fun fact, even T-shirt sizes (S, M, L, etc) aren't always the same, it depends on where they're from. Compared to European sizes, for example, Asian t-shirts size one step up (because Asian people are smaller-framed than European people). So an EU M is an Asian L, an EU L is an Asian XL, and so on.

But wait! Apparently American people are bigger-framed than European people, so their t-shirts size one step down: an EU M is an American S, an EU L is an American M, etcetera.

So now you have three different sizing for the same articles of clothing, and they all use the same letters. How are you supposed to know which is which? This normally isn't a problem, you can try clothes on after all, but for instance when you're signing up for some sports thing like a race they give out T-shirts and ask you for your size. What size is that? They often don't say! Have fun trying to figure it out!

Clothing is hard, apparently.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

doverhog posted:

Please go make some terrible posts or talk about eating rear end or something Lowtax needs the money again, still https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3884184

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzpx9YZxK4o

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
PHUO: if SA switched to a monthly subscription model I’d probably pay

(Mods: please don’t ban me every month like some kind of do gooder hogge wild)

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

So with a war, are we talking about the EU going on a nation-building world tour to force small countries into line, or taking on the US/Russia/China? Both would cause emissions to skyrocket and neither would work, but at least the first means Europe doesn’t get nuked.

It was more like a moral statement than a well reasoned plan of action.

spit on my clit, I'm gonna but it's always better if you can encourage other people to follow in your footsteps too. :coolfish:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

doverhog posted:

spit on my clit, I'm gonna but it's always better if you can encourage other people to follow in your footsteps too. :coolfish:

I meant wrt lowtax. I'm sure he could get any kind of media-related job if he tried.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Mayyyybe? Is he gonna put "created SA" on his resume? Also he's basically a half cyborg cripple hooked on fentanyl now, doesn't seem like a good spot for finding a job.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

doverhog posted:

Mayyyybe? Is he gonna put "created SA" on his resume? Also he's basically a half cyborg cripple hooked on fentanyl now, doesn't seem like a good spot for finding a job.

He could be a cyberpunk mercenary, he does have semi-professional fighting experience.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Gripweed posted:

Ladies should go on a clothes buying strike until lady clothing manufacturers agree to standardize sizes.

https://twitter.com/chloemmx/status/1104013214013116417

:hmmyes:

as someone whos been pants shopping with his wife and purchased pants for his sister in law i agree that womens sizes are all hosed up.

I'd also like to push for the need to have actual pockets in womens pants. If my wife forgets her purse and asks me to hold her phone I tell her to just stick it in her pocket only for me to try and find out the pockets are actually; 1. fake and 2. big enough for like 2 quarters.

#getrealpocketsforwomen

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

HaB posted:

I don’t see men’s clothing say “inch” on them generally other than dress shirts, and often not then.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

:hmmyes:

as someone whos been pants shopping with his wife and purchased pants for his sister in law i agree that womens sizes are all hosed up.

I'd also like to push for the need to have actual pockets in womens pants. If my wife forgets her purse and asks me to hold her phone I tell her to just stick it in her pocket only for me to try and find out the pockets are actually; 1. fake and 2. big enough for like 2 quarters.

#getrealpocketsforwomen

"Hey, I love your dress!"
"Thanks, it has pockets!"
"It has pockets? Where did you buy it? I want one too!"

I'm not even kidding when I say that this is not an unusual conversation between women (and/or other folks who wear dresses).

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Subjunctive posted:

I don’t see men’s clothing say “inch” on them generally other than dress shirts, and often not then.

They don't say it explicitly, but that is what it means. Look at jeans on like Levis.com or something. The sizes say: 30" x 32", 34" x 34", etc.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

HaB posted:

They don't say it explicitly, but that is what it means. Look at jeans on like Levis.com or something. The sizes say: 30" x 32", 34" x 34", etc.

Well it’s easy to tell that that’s not what it means, though it might have once. I checked a few pairs of my pants and only saw unitless numbers, but I don’t have any Levis, so fair cop. Similarly my jackets and overcoats all say things like “44L” or “42L”, and the meaning can vary between maker or style.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That usually means your chest measurement in inches as well.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah it’s definitely chest size in inches. The L refers to the jacket’s length. Mine are S bc I’m a tiny manlet.

The true, measurable sizes will vary by manufacturer as well as from cut to cut and production run to production run but they absolutely refer to waist or chest size in inches.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Mikl posted:

"Hey, I love your dress!"
"Thanks, it has pockets!"
"It has pockets? Where did you buy it? I want one too!"

I'm not even kidding when I say that this is not an unusual conversation between women (and/or other folks who wear dresses).

No poo poo, when a girl at work told me her Pusheen dress had pockets, I went home and bought it.
And then I bought another of their dresses because I knew it'd have pockets.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I feel like there's an untapped market for cargo dresses.

edit:

Damnit, of course they already exist.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Duluth Trading Co. has good dresses, but the company seems rather chudly and sales-y.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Veganism would be a lot more popular if veganism proponents led with the fact that Taco Bell can provide you with a complete vegan diet

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gripweed posted:

Veganism would be a lot more popular if veganism proponents led with the fact that Taco Bell can provide you with a complete vegan diet

i can't disagree with you and i hate that

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Instead of continually throwing money at Radium's hosed up Frankenstein code to keep it shambling along, Lowtax should just delete these forums and make new ones that don't break all the time

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Solice Kirsk posted:

That usually means your chest measurement in inches as well.

It may once have meant that, but a little time with a measuring tape will tell you that it isn’t tightly linked to measurements of the garment. I have jackets in both 44L and 42L, and I couldn’t tell them apart based on chest fit.

Are all your jackets sized to match the measurements? Maybe I’m buying weird stuff.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gripweed posted:

Instead of continually throwing money at Radium's hosed up Frankenstein code to keep it shambling along, Lowtax should just delete these forums and make new ones that don't break all the time

2019! the year we finally get xenforo 2!

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Subjunctive posted:

It may once have meant that, but a little time with a measuring tape will tell you that it isn’t tightly linked to measurements of the garment. I have jackets in both 44L and 42L, and I couldn’t tell them apart based on chest fit.

Are all your jackets sized to match the measurements? Maybe I’m buying weird stuff.

The obvious question would be: what's the actual size of your chest? Maybe you clock in at 43".

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Subjunctive posted:

The number is your chest circumference in inches. The letter is whether its proportions are short, regular, or long for the cut.

The number will not be exact. But it is inches. It didn’t used to be that, it’s still that, but a perfect measurement for every brand and cut and run of a piece will never happen.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

doverhog posted:

He has a pretty deep understanding of the internet. If I was hiring like a social media manager or something and Richard "I am Literally Sr. Lowtax" Kyanka came across my desk I'd sure as hell hire him. I'm not so I can't but still. Dude gets the internet which is why he hates it incidentally. He's also pretty funny and has experience running an intertoobs forum. It isn't like he's totally 100% devoid of useful skills.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The guy who’s been banned from twitter three times seems like a bad fit for social media manager.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
More place PHUOs: North America is the most naturally beautiful continent and I will fight about this.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

More place PHUOs: North America is the most naturally beautiful continent and I will fight about this.

Was

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If we're going continent-scale, sure. It is really huge though and has so much variety that it's almost cheating.

I've always wanted to see the arctic canada and see how it compares to arctic europe but it felt like norway was a bit more accessible.

It does have some things where it has very little competition though, at least for now while the wetlands and whatnot still exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It's hosed up that English people have to pretend that pasture is picturesque because they cut down literally of their forests