Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Waltzing Along posted:

Probably because it was the worst post in a thread devoted to bad posts.

its my opinion about video games, and it is an unpopular opinion so i posted it in this thread, friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Private Cumshoe posted:

Open world games are garbage, all of them, bonus points if even more time is wasted in the game in menus ("crafting" lol) than it is exploring a big boring area that looks kind of pretty I guess with some dumb quest on the other side of the map.

I blame Ocarina of Time, that game was the progenitor of big empty bullshit.

Ocarina of Time sucks yeah.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

All Zelda Games Are Bad™

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

bradzilla posted:

All Bad Video Game Opinions Are Brad(zilla)'s™

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

tino posted:

I watch DMC3's cut scenes again. I think I like it better than 5, it does absurdity humor better. Also the Lady voice actoring in 3 is really good, that's what hold the dumb story together.

5 is good, but Capcom does the "look we can make digital characters look like real people" thing too much and it's distracting. I don't want to keep thinking "did they pay Adam Driver/James Franco" during cut scenes.

DMC3 is visually, narratively, and mechanically near perfect as a complete package for its time. The choreogaphy is top notch and it was well optimized even then. We will never get a game like that from Itsuno or Capcom again. But 5 is so chock full of content and love letters to the old games while doing its own thing so well I can hardly for anything to complain about.

Your opinion about the character model visuals/realism isn't unpopular though. Everyone was complaining about this or that character's hair or or Lady's nose or whatever.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Crafting systems are always boring garbage. People who complain about games when they lack some lovely crafting system are the worst and should go play with a spreadsheet program instead of loudly demanding that developers waste resources on a crafting system

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

QuarkJets posted:

Crafting systems are always boring garbage. People who complain about games when they lack some lovely crafting system are the worst and should go play with a spreadsheet program instead of loudly demanding that developers waste resources on a crafting system

"I have to put all my poo poo in a bag and manage the bag full of poo poo so I can make some new poo poo" has killed basically every attempt at playing a FarCry for me.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Crafting was kinda fun in Minecraft. That's it. That's the only game I enjoyed crafting. Maybe because it has "craft" in the name, I don't know.

Apart from that, crafting should have died out years ago instead of beeing added to nearly every game.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

"leave better items and weapons lying around in areas you enter as the game progresses," undefeated champion of Give The Player Better poo poo

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

Having to gather and craft poo poo is part of why I didn't enjoy botw as much as Ishould have. I have no idea why dumb nerd confuse busy work with depth. Also all survival games are trash

ChazTurbo fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 11, 2019

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Imagine if King Arthur was given Excalibur after having tea with the lady in the lake and when he got back to Camelot he was like "OK I am going to break this down for parts and make my own sword" and sat around at the blacksmith's banging a hammer on an anvil

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The Bride in Kill Bill just immediately melts down her legendary Hanzo steel and makes a handful of bullet casings

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Crafting was toooons of fun in Subnautica, where you have to have everything to craft in your personal inventory, which is like 16 slots.

Thankfully an awesome goon made a mod that lets you craft using anything in your storage lockers, so you don't have to run back and forth between the crafting station and storage 5 times for advanced crafts.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Adding to the post above, inventory limits in item heavy games are always bullshit anti-fun roadblocks. I've never run out of inventory space and thought "dope, just like real life".

Looking at you, Stardew Valley. I would love that game even more if I didn't have to spend time at the end of every in game day organizing my items.

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012
I wish more games (that are actually good) had trading systems. Half of my time spent in Suikoden 2 was dedicated to amassing ridiculous wealth through trading.

Also, Hatsune Miku games are kind of stupid and dysfunctional as rhythm games due to basing the rhythm on the vocals. osu! has this problem too iirc. Basically any super japanese rhythm game is trash essentially.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Lodin posted:

Great, just saw that Shakedown Hawaii is gonna be Epic exclusive. Guess I'll have to pirate that one then. I loving hate pirating games.

You could just... not... play... it... ?

lol

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It's 2019 and if I want to be a friendless shut-in I should be able to evolve Kadabra by myself

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

internet celebrity posted:

Adding to the post above, inventory limits in item heavy games are always bullshit anti-fun roadblocks. I've never run out of inventory space and thought "dope, just like real life".

Looking at you, Stardew Valley. I would love that game even more if I didn't have to spend time at the end of every in game day organizing my items.

inventory limits only make sense if there's some kind of tangible time limit you're running against.

Weight/inventory limits in open world games are stupid because you can always just go back to the place you dropped your trash later, it's just busywork. In a game where you're actually racing against time and need to properly consider what's more important to take with you(like Darkest Dungeon on Stygian/Bloodmoon) then it becomes a game mechanic instead of bullshit.

Alternatively, set up a system where you're balancing resources and tools with some other stat, like Dragon's Dogma where the more healing items and stuff you have, the slower you move and the slower you regen stamina.
I'd still make the crafting items you loot weightless though.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Halser posted:

Alternatively, set up a system where you're balancing resources and tools with some other stat, like Dragon's Dogma where the more healing items and stuff you have, the slower you move and the slower you regen stamina.
I'd still make the crafting items you loot weightless though.

Fallout has this but then lol FO76 made bobby pins weigh like a pound each

e: then they fixed it and then they broke it again

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Snow Cone Capone posted:

FO4 was annoying with the junk poo poo though. Make all the junk weightless so you can grab all the garbage you want, but make actual resources(stimpaks, radaway, whatever) relatively heavier to compensate.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
player.modav carryweight 9999

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Lambert posted:

player.modav carryweight 9999

not unpopular

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Fallout encourages you to collect trash to sell or craft with and then imposes a weight system on you as an inconvenience. Actually useful items (stimpacks, ammo, etc) have essentially negligible weight compared to the loot that you are meant to be collecting.

It's a lovely system and is fun for no one

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Resident Evil has had pretty good inventory management for 20 years but some people don't enjoy playing tetris.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I like how for things that aren't weapons or shields BOTW was just like "here, carry however much you want" and it wasn't a problem at all. Yeah, got a thousand bokoblin guts in my pocket, what of it?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I recall not hating crafting in EQ2, it was kind of a fun skill based minigame.

I need to check up on one of those free servers.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Inventory management should always be kept to the minimum amount necessary unless it's in the literal sense because you're playing Forklift Simulator.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

QuarkJets posted:

Resident Evil has had pretty good inventory management for 20 years but some people don't enjoy playing tetris.

RE5 had the best management system. It's real time and you can quick reload by combining ammo via drag and drop with the appropriate gun so you skip the reload animation.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I love how you guys demand ultra realism when it would actually suck, like realistic AI in a stealth game or I guess hoofing it to a shop every time you need ammo instead of crafting it from tin cans, but then you're so loving lazy and ocd that you demand infinite inventory so you can just loot everything and carry all the guns and ammo without having to think or manage anything. It's almost like you are all zybourne clock level game developers itc and you have no clue what makes a good game

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

poverty goat posted:

I love how you guys demand ultra realism when it would actually suck, like realistic AI in a stealth game or I guess hoofing it to a shop every time you need ammo instead of crafting it from tin cans, but then you're so loving lazy and ocd that you demand infinite inventory so you can just loot everything and carry all the guns and ammo without having to think or manage anything. It's almost like you are all zybourne clock level game developers itc and you have no clue what makes a good game

don't just assume that everyone belongs to the same group, idiot. It's not about realism. Crafting systems are lovely, instead of picking up tin cans and turning them into ammo how about just leaving out some ammo. That's how DOOM did it and it rules. RPGs did that for decades until enough loudmouth morons decided that they wanted to collect literal trash in a video game

I believe that a game shouldn't make collecting garbage a gameplay mechanic, and certainly not one that's necessary to engage with instead of just leaving out a few more ammo pickups.

Inventory management of a handful of actually useful items, a la Resident Evil, is good. Managing an inventory containing up to 1000 types of garbage is stupid

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Deus Ex had a good balance where you really did have to pilfer guards' quarters for ammo but if you did there was plenty of it.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

don't just assume that everyone belongs to the same group, idiot. It's not about realism. Crafting systems are lovely, instead of picking up tin cans and turning them into ammo how about just leaving out some ammo. That's how DOOM did it and it rules. RPGs did that for decades until enough loudmouth morons decided that they wanted to collect literal trash in a video game

I believe that a game shouldn't make collecting garbage a gameplay mechanic, and certainly not one that's necessary to engage with instead of just leaving out a few more ammo pickups.

Inventory management of a handful of actually useful items, a la Resident Evil, is good. Managing an inventory containing up to 1000 types of garbage is stupid

lmao at the apparently serious suggestion that doom style ammo crates were fine and good for every game

Shibawanko posted:

Deus Ex had a good balance where you really did have to pilfer guards' quarters for ammo but if you did there was plenty of it.

deus ex makes you choose between extra weapons and extra ammo, etc. with its inventory system which i think is precisely the kind of involuntary thinking that people itt are taking issue with

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 11, 2019

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

poverty goat posted:

Sorting my inventory every 30 minutes makes a good game. I especially love it when I throw away something I'll need later causing me to backtrack and waste time.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Tetris-style inventory systems should LITERALLY make me do Tetris mechanics to fit new items in my bag.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
This endless series of menus and management so tedious only a meth head could find it engaging is good game design in this non-text adventure game because

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Private Cumshoe posted:

This endless series of menus and management so tedious only a meth head could find it engaging is good game design in this non-text adventure game because
it pads out the game length and makes me, an idiot, feel like i made a good purchasing decision on my AAA game.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Games that last more than 10 hours tops are just garbage skinner boxes.

Your "epic story" that's a mishmash of bad genre fiction tropes and even worse writing isn't worth spending several weeks of gaming time.

Just give me FTL or Into the Breach, for randomly generated content that can be beaten in an hour.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

poverty goat posted:

lmao at the apparently serious suggestion that doom style ammo crates were fine and good for every game

I'm sorry that you apparently have a wasting disease preventing you from reading more than a few sentences at a time before you make your next shitpost.

Does anyone actually derive joy from collecting rocks and wooden spoons in these Bethesda games? That kind of person probably has a hoarder house, just full of old tin cans and rotting food that they keep pulling from dumpsters. A pile of waste that they recognize as being worth more than themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Colonel Cancer posted:

Games that last more than 10 hours tops are just garbage skinner boxes.

Your "epic story" that's a mishmash of bad genre fiction tropes and even worse writing isn't worth spending several weeks of gaming time.

Just give me FTL or Into the Breach, for randomly generated content that can be beaten in an hour.

Longer game lengths work when you're still ingesting new and varied content, like how Witcher 3 has you travel to other continents and even other dimensions to see cool new things, but not when you're just experiencing more of the same poo poo, like when Witcher 3 dumps a bunch of icons on your map that just point to a floating treasure chest

Diablo 2 is a good example of how to make a longer game, it's probably at least 40 hours for someone taking their time and it rarely wears on your patience (but there are some areas that could have been shorter)