Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I hope we see Queen fight soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

I hope we see Queen fight soon.

hope franky fights queen

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Chapter 683: "A Woman Like Ice"

drat, Vergo hosed Law up real quick. Does Vergo not have a devil fruit power?? I'm surprised anyone could beat Law without one.

He turned the bamboo armored? Can he transfer his haki? AND THEN HE BLEW IT UP? If I didn't know any better, I'd say he had a rubber fruit or something. Hot drat, Smoker has haki too! I kinda feel like everyone needs it now, what with all the logia users. Sidenote: Smoker smokes cigars with "marine" on them. Do the Marines make cigars?? Are they just marine stickers slapped onto regular cigars, or is there an entire cigar production facility owned and operated by the Marines?

Whoa, that dragon Luffy found in the trash looks cool! Hopefully that's Momonosuke and not the dragon that Kinemon and Brook just drat near killed.

Yup, it's Momonosuke! Ohh, he are a devil fruit! Ooh, an artificial devil fruit? Weird! And Monet has the snow snow fruit, which apparently let's her turn into a goddamn yeti monster. Ooh, will Tashigi and Zoro fight alongside one another?

LOL nope. But goddamn, Zoro loving obliterated Monet.

Noooo, Mochya, don't eat the candy! Well, I guess it'll keep the candy away from the others, but there's no way she'll live through that! Oh shiiit, here comes Luffy and Momonosuke!

Aww, poor Brownbeard. He's trying so hard! BUT NOW LUFFY'S HERE TO gently caress poo poo UP AW YEAH. Ohh, so the fake devil fruit was a Smile. It only is zoan types? Weird. I wonder if they can't change back like regular zoan types can.

Hell yeah Law got his heart back, thanks Smoker. AND LAW CUT THE ENTIRE loving ISLAND IN HALF? I dunno what that SAD stuff was beyond making the smiles, but hopefully Law didn't want it intact!

Oh drat, Caesar became one with the gas! I love the panel of Luffy's arms stretched suuuuuper far. This blow is gunna loving HURT.

OH NO KINEMON WAS HIT BY THE GAS?? Maybe the people it effects can be revived..? Oh, the maid girl is named Baby 5! She was part of Doflamingo's pirate crew? Not anymore, I'm guessing. Whoa, and there's an airplane guy! FRANKY WAS ON THE TANKER! I kinda lost track of him in all this hullabaloo, I'm glad he's okay. I guess Franky Shogun is airtight?

Whoa! Baby 5 can turn her ENTIRE body into a weapon?? Oh crap, Monet is going to hit some kind of detonator?!

Oh SHIIIIIIIT Law swapped out Smoker's heart for Monet's! Oh drat, and Doflamingo's on his way too. He can also fly, for some reason.

Yay, Kinemon is alive! I guess the ash just preserved him? Aww, Momonosuke is cute! Ooh, Sanji learned how to incorporate hormone therapy in his cooking! Wasn't the hormone manipulation thing just Emporio's devil fruit power? Eh, whatever. Hahahaha holt poo poo, Luffy wants to take down ALL of the yonkou? I really shouldn't be surprised at this point.

Ooh, so Kaidou is the only yonkou we know nothing about, right? He's the strongest...even stronger than Whitebeard?? Haha daaaamn, Law really backed Doflamingo into a corner, this is great.

OH gently caress HERE COMES DOFLAMINGO! Oooooh he's got conquer haki! Wait, I thought his power was to control people? Now he's like, slashing or something? Does he use strings to slash around and control people like puppets? ...How does that let him fly...? Oh no, Smoker!! Lmao at Law looking loving miserable while Luffy is like YAU WE'RE ALLIANCE FRIENDS! Oh good, Smoker is still alive AND AOKIJI IS BACK BACK BACK AGAIN HELL YEEEAAH

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

CodfishCartographer posted:

Chapter 683: "A Woman Like Ice"

Ooh, will Tashigi and Zoro fight alongside one another?

LOL nope. But goddamn, Zoro loving obliterated Monet.

Zoro has so many great moments. Putting so much fear into Monet that she can't even reform herself was awesome.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Marine brand cigars is a fun idea, though might just be they label them to let people know they'll be in deep poo poo for stealing them.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Marine brand cigars is a fun idea, though might just be they label them to let people know they'll be in deep poo poo for stealing them.

My friend just said "I always thought he just rolled his own from important marine documents" and that is now my head canon.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
even reading someone elses excited take of it can't get me in the mood for punk hazard

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

upon thinking about it more i think a big part of what was missing on punk hazard was the feeling of life or culture on the island. because it was entirely destroyed, there was no preexisting stuff really for us to learn about. some of the best bits of wci and wano have been the society that exists there, and punk hazard just really didnt have that at all

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I'm a die hard OP fan and all I really remember about Punk Hazard is that when the Straw Hats came out of it they had Law in tow

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

tbp posted:

upon thinking about it more i think a big part of what was missing on punk hazard was the feeling of life or culture on the island. because it was entirely destroyed, there was no preexisting stuff really for us to learn about. some of the best bits of wci and wano have been the society that exists there, and punk hazard just really didnt have that at all
I think it had a distinct feel as an uninhabited wasteland. A lot of the background art was some really beautiful desolation. The story of a mad scientist doing experiments on children has a more helpless isolated feel on an otherwise empty island.

That said, I'll agree the arc didn't quite work. I don't think it's because Punk Hazard itself was lifeless, but there was definitely something that kept it from all coming together.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Think of Punk Hazard as the first domino in one of those lines where they keep getting bigger until they knock one the size of a door over. It may not have been as impressive as what was to come, but it was still just as important to the overall event. It introduced Kinemon and Momonosuke, tangled up Caesar Clown because of his importance to Big Mom and Kaidou, and allied Luffy with Law so they could eventually defeat Kaidou.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah I've defended Dressrosa before and even I struggle to think of really cool moments to make Punk Hazard worth it, but it really was kind of a prologue arc to set up a lot of stuff that would be important in later arcs.

Like as overpacked as Dressrosa was and as crazy as Wano is right now, imagine both of those arcs without the background and characters that PH had already set up.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

punk hazard was good. yatta

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
punk haz and dressrosa were good. the final enemy gambit was dumb but the arc as a whole was good

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
fuckin love one piece

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Punk Hazard was great
the chimera people were fun
i liked the icy hot wasteland aesthetic
caesar is a great villain because he is just so unapologetically lovely in every possible way
virgo & monet were both great
kinnemon is cool and good

cool scenes:
-when half the crew enters the ice side, freezing, and has the menacing panel of them about to steal clothes off caesar's minions
-luffy punching a dragon
-zoro scaring monet so bad she can't reform
-usopp's speech set to luffy punching the gently caress out of caesar
-law cutting the entire mountain in half while fighting virgo
-the cool salamander exploding into petrifying gas
-i really liked the panel of luffy riding dragon-momo out of the pit
-the flashback sequence showing caesar "helping" his minions when he first arrives
-when they're riding around on brownbeard and they casually rest their legs and coats on him
-the slow dawning realization that teaming up with the strawhats was a huge mistake
-chopper hat on law
-chopper as a phonestrap on law's sword and he's making this face: > :<
-the end sequence with monet speaking to doflamingo as she tries to blow up the island but her heart gets stabbed
-the party!
-reveal of the giant kids and the scope of caesar's hosed up experiments
-one of the giant kids eating all the laced candies so the other kids wouldn't eat them was hardcore

PH had some pacing problems like how the yeti cool brothers could be removed entirely or how about 80% of the arc was running around (which I kind of liked tbh but I get it's a sticking point) but it's probably one of my favorite arcs even on a reread. It's just really fun

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Law's expressions when he realizes he's in a totally different style of shonen manga than he thought will never not be golden

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

rannum posted:

PH had some pacing problems like how the yeti cool brothers could be removed entirely

we needed the yeti cool brothers. Sorry.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

AkumaHokoru posted:

we needed the yeti cool brothers. Sorry.

I love the yeti cool brothers but beyond being cool brother yetis with guns they really got the shaft
I don't think they ever showed up again after they were taken care of

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

rannum posted:

I love the yeti cool brothers but beyond being cool brother yetis with guns they really got the shaft
I don't think they ever showed up again after they were taken care of

they didn't :( their intro was so cool I was ready for them to at least be one of ceaser's top troops but nope.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
As someone who literally just finished reading Punk Hazard blind - it was alright. Not my favorite arc in the series, but it's not the worst either. I enjoyed it more than Fishman Island, I think. PH had a lot of real fun set pieces - the dragon, the slime, the gas, poo poo the island itself was a literal setpiece. I think it would have benefitted from some more buildup, but that's a problem I have with a lot of arcs. While I didn't like him at first, I wound up really enjoying Caesar as a villain--he's just so tremendously, cartoonishly shitry that he works. His devil fruit power is pretty cool, and I really like the panel of Luffy stretching his arms super far before smashing his loving face in.

It definitely suffers from people running too much, but I've found that's a problem with one piece in general. I love Oda's work, but he just can't figure out how to make a chase tense / interesting. Even when he draws literal maps, it's hard to tell how pressing the time line is. Compare to something like JoJo's Steel Ball Run, where you get a very good idea of how quickly everyone is moving, how far they need to go, and where they all are in relation to each other. You see how they work to overcome their opponents in terms of speed / tactics in order to beat them to the finish line. In One Piece a lot of times its just people running and running and running without ever seeming to get closer or farther from any given point, until suddenly they are. I feel like these situations need more explanation about the situations as a whole, why they're "unwinnable", and then ultimately how the heroes overcome it creatively.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

It definitely suffers from people running too much, but I've found that's a problem with one piece in general. I love Oda's work, but he just can't figure out how to make a chase tense / interesting. Even when he draws literal maps, it's hard to tell how pressing the time line is. Compare to something like JoJo's Steel Ball Run, where you get a very good idea of how quickly everyone is moving, how far they need to go, and where they all are in relation to each other. You see how they work to overcome their opponents in terms of speed / tactics in order to beat them to the finish line. In One Piece a lot of times its just people running and running and running without ever seeming to get closer or farther from any given point, until suddenly they are. I feel like these situations need more explanation about the situations as a whole, why they're "unwinnable", and then ultimately how the heroes overcome it creatively.

*runs on ice for 5 hours*
ei~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~su~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

U-DO Burger posted:

Yeah, basically this. It feels kind of like everyone is just running on ice, which is ironic since the problem is most obvious in Marineford.

I really can’t recommend everyone in this thread go read the first 11 chapters of Steel Ball run (don’t worry you don’t need to know anything about JoJo) to see how tense and exciting a race can be in manga form.

DanZX
May 5, 2015

U-DO Burger posted:

Yeah that’s the good poo poo, now do that for weeks

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

U-DO Burger posted:

Congratulations, you've just described Crash Bandicoot 2!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think that's part of why that one filler arc where they're stuck in a marine base sticks out so much. It's a funny bit on its own but you also have a great sense of where everyone is on the base and how long it would take them to get somewhere else and what obstacles would be preventing them from getting there.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

spoilers for the guy who is currently reading

its kinda funny to see a complaint about one piece being bad with distance intra-arc, which i dont necessarily disagree with, but WCI's escape is genuinely incredible in this sense. the world ending around the strawhats, luffy battling katakuri and time to meet up with them, big mom riding her homies over the ocean like some sort of god, it was all incredible. i hope the new reader enjoys it as much as i did

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

I really can’t recommend everyone in this thread go read the first 11 chapters of Steel Ball run (don’t worry you don’t need to know anything about JoJo) to see how tense and exciting a race can be in manga form.

I mean, if you wind up wanting to read the rest of it, you kinda do a wee bit

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I thought Punk Hazard was pretty good, especially if you read it as a whole in one shot. It was short enough to be like a "prologue" to the main event at Dressrosa Island, mostly about finding out about the SMILE production and how hosed up it was, and setting up characters like Law, Caesar, Momo.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Controversial opinion: One Piece hasn't been that good since the time skip.

Oda has been stuck in a story and pacing rut each arc since Marineford. He's making each arc about twice as padded as needs to be. Chapters are dense but not a lot happens to show for it. And my heart goes out to the poor souls watching the anime that must deal with the same material that's now doubled *again* with padding.

And just to be clear, I've been reading weekly since Skypiea. So I have a sense of how this thing has been paced...

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I'm assuming there's not much *content* left for One Piece so it's just being padded out so he can keep writing as long as he wants to, unless the series pulls a Naruto or Bleach and has some totally random, un-mentioned major villains come out of left field, we've only really got The Marines, The World Government Elders, and Blackbeard left to be full explored since we're in the middle of Kaidou and Big Mom right now

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I will say that at the very least Post Timeskip content started out on a pretty shaky foot, at least in my opinion. The Straw Hats reuniting was fine, though that was more of a mini-arc than anything. Fishman Island didn't feel it lived up to the hype considering it's been teased since the East Blue, and Hordy Jones is easily one of the most underwhelming arc villains in all of One Piece. Punk Hazard didn't do much to improve either, and was kind of a "meh" arc in my eyes.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Don't the Straw Hats also already have 2/3 of the poneglyphs needed to find Raftel? Or were there 4 of them? Either way, that revelation in Zo made it clear we had a map to the conclusion.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I'd call the story arcs fleshed out rather than padded. I dunno, this might be a tomato tomahto thing but I haven't thought "Why are we still here?" in a while save for the Katakuri fight. If there's something that Oda should devote a lot of time to, it's the Emperors.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tir McDohl posted:

Don't the Straw Hats also already have 2/3 of the poneglyphs needed to find Raftel? Or were there 4 of them? Either way, that revelation in Zo made it clear we had a map to the conclusion.

There's 4 of the Road Poneglyphs, each one conveniently in an Emperor's territory. Brook made etchings of Big Mom's one, and found Kaido's, though they haven't managed to read or trace it yet.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
IMO the conclusions of the arcs have suffered a fair amount overall, but the buildup is still grand. So many parts of the world tie into this island. We've been building to it in particular since Punk Hazard, and in general since, what, Thriller Bark?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I would say that overall the post-timeskip pacing has still felt ok to me except for the unnatural extension of the Doflamingo and Katakuri battles.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
biggest problem with the pacing is he wants to make every single goddamn chapter end on a soap opera cliffhanger

it feels like "Looks like I'll have to do.... 'that!'" is the last line in at least half of them

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

alkanphel posted:

I would say that overall the post-timeskip pacing has still felt ok to me except for the unnatural extension of the Doflamingo and Katakuri battles.
Same, those fights and the "running away from the poison" bits of Punk Hazard are the only times I've felt any desire for the pace to pick up.

As for arc length, I think fleshed out vs dragged out is the argument and that's up to preference. Some people want shorter, tighter arcs and that's fine since Zou was great but I would argue that that kind of thing isn't possible anymore. One Piece, the manga and thr SH crew in it, are in the heading to the endgame, on the world stage level now. Kaido and Big Mom have been involved since Punk Hazard and Fishman Island, there's no time or place for one shot arcs. Everything is connected and leads directly to the next.

We lose stuff like Arlong and Skypiea where we can get a story and a big flashy conclusion but in exchange there is less question of "Ok, that's over, where are they going next?" We know what the next step is usually, the exciting part is how they're gonna get there or what's gonna happen between here and there. It works for me, I've been reading since Water 7 and I have never not looked forward to the next chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

alkanphel posted:

The dofly fight was overextended to gently caress
Katakuri was good pacing since it is a drawn out slug fest, and you had the outside drama of Big Mom bearing down on the crew.

Post timeskip is a little shaky, but Oda got his groove back in Zo and weve returned to a normal.