Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Invalid Validation posted:

Walmart will go out of their way to give customers what they want and it’s what is expected. When a client doesn’t fill out a simple form that has been explained multiple times then they will get super angry and think they can yell at you for it, unlike Walmart we do not have to put up with it.

What are you even talking about? Are you running basic government services so crappy that you think of "as nice as walmart" as some absurd standard of customer service?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Very absurd, sounds like someone has never worked retail.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah ffs there are people who get spitting mad at cops for writing them a ticket and not apologizing for it

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What are you even talking about? Are you running basic government services so crappy that you think of "as nice as walmart" as some absurd standard of customer service?

There are people who will get absurdly furious over the fact that there are things that Walmart doesn't sell. I mean, it's Walmart. It has what you'd expect but you have people expecting high end designer clothes at Walmart for Walmart prices. Having worked at Walmart though I can tell you that the pressure to put on a happy face and be sickeningly nice to customers is always there. Of course Walmart employees tend to not do that anymore as the company treats them horribly but there's still that pressure. Granted when I worked there management told us to not take it when people started screaming or being horrid dicks and just to escalate to management in that situation but still...entitled customers expecting the world and then acting slighted when you didn't perform literal magic happens way too often.

Like God help you if the store ran out of something. The world isn't perfect and that happens sometimes, you know? Somewhere along the line something hosed up in the supply chain or there was a recall or something. Walmart isn't omnipotent and sometimes poo poo runs out but boy howdy would people get furious about that. A big snag is Walmart's return policy; they'll take basically anything and yes people do scam that. I've seen customer service take back stuff Walmart has never sold and never will sell. The attitude really is that you should just give customers pretty much whatever they want and apologize and grovel if you can't for whatever reason.

Guess why I quit.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I've seen customer service take back stuff Walmart has never sold and never will sell.

How does this even work? Obviously it's being accepted without a receipt, but if you don't even have the SKU/UPC in the system how do they know how much to refund?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Motronic posted:

How does this even work? Obviously it's being accepted without a receipt, but if you don't even have the SKU/UPC in the system how do they know how much to refund?

the manager just looks up their closest guess and hands the customer the money. it's a loss for the store but the point is to make the customer happy. i hate when companies do this, it just encourages scammers

i had the same problem with restaurant managers. for one example a lady called me over and told me i didn't wash the salad lettuce properly. there were rocks in her salad. like, uh, i would have noticed these little pebbles when i was tossing the thing in a metal bowl, and gee whiz these rocks look suspiciously like the decorative gravel right outside the front door. manager just comped her ticket. guess who kept coming back with a complaint about adulterated food, now that she knew she could get free meals if she just dumped garbage on her plate when we weren't looking?

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 6, 2019

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

JustJeff88 posted:

A fair bit of it is what I think is often called "punching down", by which I mean that people want to feel superior to others - no surprise there. However, this also happens with people who work in soul-crushing service jobs when they are the customer. They hate their lives and jobs and, so long as they can, they want to be the one making other people miserable. It's the same appalling human impulse that causes people to vote against their self-interest and do things like oppose increases to public services and higher wages if those changes would help left up both them, but also various groups that they don't like.

Oh for sure, for everyone that says "everyone should have to work in food service at least once" it's like, "yo people that work in service industry jobs can also be terrible pricks as customers too" it's really a universal thing that crosses all kinds of social strata.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

DrNutt posted:

Oh for sure, for everyone that says "everyone should have to work in food service at least once" it's like, "yo people that work in service industry jobs can also be terrible pricks as customers too" it's really a universal thing that crosses all kinds of social strata.

Just because it wouldn't make everyone sympathetic to people in service industries doesn't mean it's not a good idea.

I think if everyone was forced to be poor, forced to go to prison, forced to work in lovely service jobs etc.. The world would be a better place. But there would still be lovely people who learned nothing from the experience, that's true.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Ah Walmart. The place where I got swarmed by dogs from someone's RV and where someone almost drove into my kneecap while he stared me down.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Motronic posted:

When I worked at Fry's we used to have a $1 sku that was labeled as "General Merchandise". You would just ring up that sku in whatever quantity to match the price you want. We usually used it to offer discounts on returns that were damaged or missing parts but the customer wanted to keep it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

pseudanonymous posted:

Just because it wouldn't make everyone sympathetic to people in service industries doesn't mean it's not a good idea.

I think if everyone was forced to be poor, forced to go to prison, forced to work in lovely service jobs etc.. The world would be a better place. But there would still be lovely people who learned nothing from the experience, that's true.

Sure, I hear that. I guess I just mean that it's not the only path to empathy, nor is it guaranteed.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Retail apocalypse field trip: went to a Sears store for the first time in ages looking for a new wallet. It’s the store in Hayward Calif and good grief it’s huge, an obvious legacy of the glory days. The mall is owned by Brookfield now so it was probably once part of General Growth, the company through which Sears developed and owned malls. It’s the kind of store that in times past you could go to and spend all day, meals and car repairs included.

Inside: surprisingly clean. Several underused floor spaces, no outright deserts like I might have expected. I went to messier stores that day. Apparel, hardware and home rec upstairs; appliances, furniture and subtenants downstairs. (Yes, there were still subtenants: a dentist and optometrist.) The former on-site restaurant was vacant and probably has been since the 90s. A building down the parking lot has opened as a Sears outlet, where Sears sells (in theory) the damaged appliances from its main stores.

In the end I didn’t spend any money because their wallet inventory consisted of about 10 units sitting on a small table next to a checkout. Ended up getting one at Kohl’s instead. Sorry Eddie.

There’s a saying that you can’t run a business from memory, but that’s what Sears is trying to do. A store in Hayward in 2019 is stocked like one on the east coast in 1985, except less. Ungodly amounts of space wasted on assembled exercise machines and game tables. A store designed to resemble as closely as possible a mail order catalog that no longer exists.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Sears is being sued by the company they sold the Craftsman brand to for breach of contract over introducing a new line of Craftsman's tools and running ads saying they're the real home of Craftsman's tools.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It is absurd that you can’t understand that the forced friendliness under almost any circumstances that exists in the retail space doesn’t really apply elsewhere. Try being a dick to a contractor that’s working on your home or to someone at the DMV and see how far it gets you. Retail and lower end food service are basically the only places where this mentality flies and it’s almost certainly because of how easily replaceable those employees are.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

luxury handset posted:

i had the same problem with restaurant managers. for one example a lady called me over and told me i didn't wash the salad lettuce properly. there were rocks in her salad. like, uh, i would have noticed these little pebbles when i was tossing the thing in a metal bowl, and gee whiz these rocks look suspiciously like the decorative gravel right outside the front door. manager just comped her ticket. guess who kept coming back with a complaint about adulterated food, now that she knew she could get free meals if she just dumped garbage on her plate when we weren't looking?
A friend of mine was a teacher for many years. He and a co-worker would go to conferences together. The co-worker was the kind of person you describe. He'd eat most of a meal, complain, and get free meals.

My friend was a favorite teacher and whenever he'd travel, former students would want to get together or just do nice things for him. One was a cook at a fairly upscale restaurant in San Francisco and made an effort to get a reservation. My friend was mortified when his co-worker pulled that poo poo there.

I've hard many complain that waitresses don't run out to give customers back their lovely tips and that it's just a common story people tell. However, my friend isn't one to lie (and somewhat sheltered; I don't know he'd ever hear that story to re-use it) and that happened to him when his co-worker pocketed the table's tips on the way out and left a few bucks instead.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cheesus posted:

I've hard many complain that waitresses don't run out to give customers back their lovely tips and that it's just a common story people tell. However, my friend isn't one to lie (and somewhat sheltered; I don't know he'd ever hear that story to re-use it) and that happened to him when his co-worker pocketed the table's tips on the way out and left a few bucks instead.

literal theft. gently caress that dude

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

luxury handset posted:

yeah ffs there are people who get spitting mad at cops for writing them a ticket and not apologizing for it
Highly paid enforcers should feel bad when they are taking money from the poor.

They dont though.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If you're actually confident with a self check out and its security settings aren't ridiculous, it's likely to be much faster than a manual checkout, not to mention you can do the bagging yourself.

I get a semi every time I go to stop and shop due to the scan gun. I love the scan gun. The scan gun makes me purchase more stuff from Stop and Shop.

I love it that much.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Only a semi? Go to the doctor.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

For every now-wealthy person who remembers their service industry work and treats working class well there's 5 others who think "I worked part time at a restaurant to pay for college and now I'm comfortable, these retail workers are just lazy and lacking ambition"

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

For every now-wealthy person who remembers their service industry work and treats working class well there's 5 others who think "I work part time at a restaurant to pay for meth and now I'm comfortable, these retail workers are just lazy and lacking ambition"

Fixed it for you.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

OhFunny posted:

Sears is being sued by the company they sold the Craftsman brand to for breach of contract over introducing a new line of Craftsman's tools and running ads saying they're the real home of Craftsman's tools.

This reminds me of the Mister Softee debacle in Brooklyn.

The guy who owned the Mister Softee ice cream trucks sold them+the name. Then a year later, as summer rolled around, there were some other trucks that looked just like Mister Softee trucks, except that they were called Master Softee. Hmmm... There was an injunction on that and eventually the original owner had to shut down.

The next summer the exact same trucks were out but with the "Master Softee" part just painted over. No name or anything, just scuzzy unmarked vans selling ice cream to kids. I believe that was the last summer they were around. :laffo:

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

@minethatdata on twitter is a great follow for how retail is hosed/has to change with actual info.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1073238021082763264.html

quote:

1 - When a recession is looming, your customer analytics will point out the pending problem before it is a problem.

2 - The first sign of trouble is customer acquisition.

Simply put, you'll find it is becoming difficult to find new customers at an acceptable cost.

3 - This pushes people in a different direction ... you'll start to hear a lot of chatter (especially out here) about customer loyalty.

4 - In other words, you won't hear folks tell you that they are failing at acquiring new customers. Instead, you'll hear about the "critical importance" of protecting your best customers.

This is frequently code for "a recession is coming and we are struggling with newbies".

5 - In a second stage of a looming recession, customer loyalty begins to decline, modestly at first. This amplifies the "loyalty narrative". Response will drop among lapsed buyers first, while holding somewhat flat with good/best customers.

6 - In other words, you look for customer acquisition failures first, followed by lapsed buyer problems second, followed by best customers. When you see that pattern, trouble is on the horizon.

7 - This is where you pull out your comp segment analytics by merchandise division.

If you see negatives across the board, recession is coming or is here.

If you see some negatives and some positives, it means your merchandising team is causing problems.

8 - Another common sign that recession is coming is price increases ... if your merchandising team (often at the prodding of the CFO) is raising prices on new items and your customer metrics are pointing negative, then a recession may well be coming.

9 - If you see price increases coupled with significant discounts (i.e. prices go up from $27 on new items to $30 followed by $30 at 20% off), you know that trouble is brewing.

10 - In 2019, you'll want to look for these signs ... starting first with customer acquisition, then lapsed buyers, then best buyers coupled with merchandise productivity that is down across the board, then price increases, then discounts.

Questions?
KH

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
It's utterly desolating to see how much human effort and energy goes into ways to induce people to buy poo poo that they probably don't need. Sometimes, I can't blame people who are incapable of imagining a world that isn't based on making numbers go up.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

JustJeff88 posted:

It's utterly desolating to see how much human effort and energy goes into ways to induce people to buy poo poo that they probably don't need. Sometimes, I can't blame people who are incapable of imagining a world that isn't based on making numbers go up.

imagine if all that effort was spent caring for each other and creating beautiful things instead of manipulating other schmucks into selling their futures away so number go up lmao

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

crazy cloud posted:

imagine if all that effort was spent caring for each other and creating beautiful things instead of manipulating other schmucks into selling their futures away so number go up lmao

The marketing version of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG3uea-Hvy4

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/NoahShachtman/status/1105109017658040321

Does anything surprise people about Amazon anymore?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Slutitution posted:

https://twitter.com/NoahShachtman/status/1105109017658040321

Does anything surprise people about Amazon anymore?

Not me, no. I've realised that there is no depth to which people will not sink to make more money, including driving people to madness and self-harm. A lot of people are naïve enough to say "they would never do that", and I respond with "It used to be perfectly acceptable to own people in many cultures". I am aware that slavery in all but name still exists in some places, and I'm not referring to wage slavery.

I'm not joking in the slightest when I say that we are just counting down to an Amazon employee who either blows himself and a bunch of other people up or goes on a killing spree. The part that bothers me most about that is that the people who deserve to be targeted won't. If some Amazon wage slave blew Bezos's head off instead of other miserable employees, at least we could feel that some tiny justice was served.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

JustJeff88 posted:

Not me, no. I've realised that there is no depth to which people will not sink to make more money, including driving people to madness and self-harm. A lot of people are naïve enough to say "they would never do that", and I respond with "It used to be perfectly acceptable to own people in many cultures". I am aware that slavery in all but name still exists in some places, and I'm not referring to wage slavery.

why the 'all but name' caveat, there's plenty of official-style slaves at public auction in Libya right now thanks to the lovely people helped into power there by Western intervention

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

crazy cloud posted:

i'm starting to be fine with us being wiped out by our own actions because we chose to foster greed and power instead of life.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

i am harry posted:

i'm starting to be fine with us being wiped out by our own actions because we chose to foster greed and power instead of life.

Shamelessly taken from the other thread because it's such a simple and succinct illustration of American ideology and culture.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Slutitution posted:

Shamelessly taken from the other thread because it's such a simple and succinct illustration of American ideology and culture.

It's on par with "Why make the planet cleaner, if global warming could be a hoax?" or something comic.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

It's on par with "Why make the planet cleaner, if global warming could be a hoax?" or something comic.

https://www.kentucky.com/opinion/op-ed/article44162106.html

Pretend I inlined the picture, because I am finding it impossible to do so.

anonumos fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Mar 19, 2019

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

anonumos posted:

https://www.kentucky.com/opinion/op-ed/article44162106.html

Pretend I inlined the picture, because I am finding it impossible to do so.

Thanks, that's it.

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot
JCPenney, Payless, LifeWay announce 3,000+ combined store closures

quote:

More than 41,000 people have lost their jobs in the retail industry so far this year — a 92 percent spike in layoffs since the same time last year, according to a new report.
And the layoffs continue to mount, with JCPenney announcing this week it would be closing 18 stores in addition to three previously announced closures, as part of a “standard annual review.”

Retail job cuts for January and February total 41,201, said research firm Challenger, Gray & Christmas in a new survey, including nationwide retailers such as Payless and Charlotte Russe.
“This is significant, and marks an acceleration of store closures and job cuts in the near term," said Mark Hamrick, a senior economic analyst at Bankrate. “Retail is ground zero for seeing the shifts of change in our lives.”
Lifeway Christian Bookstores announced last week it would be closing the doors of all 170 brick and mortar stores, in a pivot to focusing on digital and e-commerce.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Thank god Trump's gonna protect those coal jobs!

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

ryonguy posted:

Thank god Trump's gonna protect those coal jobs!

Gig economy coal jobs/potato gathering?

Come work in the mines for piece work between your courier and server jobs. Just down-load this here app to find the nearest coal/potato deposits on the map.

Be sure to use only Tuber authorized gathering equipment that you purchased from a preauthorized Tuber vending partners.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

BlueBlazer posted:

Gig economy coal jobs/potato gathering?

Come work in the mines for piece work between your courier and server jobs. Just down-load this here app to find the nearest coal/potato deposits on the map.

Be sure to use only Tuber authorized gathering equipment that you purchased from a preauthorized Tuber vending partners.

Scene cuts to a miner endlessly tapping and swiping his smartphone, waiting for the next coal seam slot to open up.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Minegraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Neo Rasa posted: