Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

SubNat posted:

IIRC: Biters only attack military buildings, players, and pollution-producing buildings, in that order.

So railway lines and power poles are safe from them, and they won't attack belts or pipes unless they're blocking their path. I think you could also cut power to outposts to minimize damage when they do attack, but I dunno how effective that is, once they've targeted something.

They will attack power poles they just usually don't. They'll attack basically anything that screws up their pathing but have a set of priorities. They will attack rails they just rarely actually do.

I think players get the top priority and then military buildings. They target polluting things but will priorities anything military they happen to meet along the way. I think the way their AI works is they set their destination to whatever polluting things pissed them off but stop to eat any military buildings or things that screw up their pathing along the way. I don't think there's anything they won't attack other than other biters and their houses they just typically don't find a reason to tear up your rails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Duodecimal posted:

Christ that is unsightly.

Nah I like it, reminds me of the factory in the trailer just a bit less compacted.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Why do the bugs want to destroy polluting buildings when the smog makes them stronger? What I'm saying is there should be a diplomacy and trading mod.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Oxyclean posted:

I saw bitters wreck up some rails after wagon artillery fired on them. It looked like they only really attacked the spot they were fired on from, and didn't just rampage the whole track.

I've been working on nuclear power for my MP base, and while I understand how to make things go, I don't really understand some of the nuts and bolts, or I feel like I'm over thinking things?

I wanted to get something up and running, so I did just look up a stating ratio, which seemed to lead me to 1 Reactor, 4 Exchangers, 7 Turbines. (With 1 water pump, 1 centrifuge and 1 fuel producer) It took awhile to rub my brain cells together and understand what the neighbour bonus meant for scaling & ratios, but 1 reactor is 100% and 2 reactors is 400%, (Because each is giving each other a bonus 100%) which means 16 exchangers and 28 turbines. (Again sorta looked these numbers up, but I at least understand the math now.)

What I'm not really understanding is how the initial exchanger-to-reactor ratio works out, or like I don't understand how to read the heat pipes? I understand the exchangers need to be above 500*C, so what happens if you have too many exchangers? Can the extras not heat up enough? Or will they cause the whole system to fail by spreading the heat too much?

As for setup, I think I initally overcrowded and overcomplicated my setup with certain preconceptions: can I just imagine it as a set of networks? One of heat: as long as all the heat exchangers are on the heat network, will they be heated equally? (I know there's some loss over distance) Do the heat pipes need to be touching all reactors, or can the reactors pass heat through each other? How picky is feeding water into the heat exchangers? Can I just have a bunch of off-shore pumps feeding a single pipe, or will I want to have multiple pipes at some point?

And as long as all my heat exchangers output steam into a network of pipes that touches each exchanger and turbine, should I be good? Do I need pumps at some point? How do I manage under and over production? From comments earlier in the thread I realized I can just store steam in storage tanks (holy moley does it ever pile up) but what's the easiest way to be ready to use it? Will extra turbines hurt my system's ability to produce power when I'm not making excess steam?

AFAIK, the heat capacity in heat pipes and exchangers basically just acts as a "tank" of energy that you have to fill up once, the first time the reactor runs, before they'll start working.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dezinus posted:

Why do the bugs want to destroy polluting buildings when the smog makes them stronger? What I'm saying is there should be a diplomacy and trading mod.

and if they don't like the pollution why do they keep expanding back into my cloud? :colbert:

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

AFAIK, the heat capacity in heat pipes and exchangers basically just acts as a "tank" of energy that you have to fill up once, the first time the reactor runs, before they'll start working.

You're right from what I've observed - stuff needs to come up to temperature before anything starts working. From what I read 500C is optimal temperature, and exchangers can heat up past that, but it's just stored heat at that point. I'm just not sure how you read like, a max heat capacity, Like how did people figure out you can run 4 heat exchangers from one reactor?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Oxyclean posted:

and if they don't like the pollution why do they keep expanding back into my cloud? :colbert:

You're right from what I've observed - stuff needs to come up to temperature before anything starts working. From what I read 500C is optimal temperature, and exchangers can heat up past that, but it's just stored heat at that point. I'm just not sure how you read like, a max heat capacity, Like how did people figure out you can run 4 heat exchangers from one reactor?

To figure out the outputs you've just gotta look at the power values. A lone reactor produces 40 MW of power, and a heat exchanger can consume up to 10 MW of power and convert it into steam, so it's a perfect 1-to-4 ratio
The steam turbine and water pump ratios get a little uglier though. Turbines consume 60 steam per second, enough to make 5.8MW of energy. That means you need 10 turbines for every 5.8 heat exchangers.
You can then use those wattage and steam-flow numbers to figure out that heat exchangers produce 10 MW / 5.8 MW * 60 = 103 steam per second, meaning they consume 103 water per second. Offshore pumps make 1,200 water per second, so the ratio there is an ugly imperfect one as well.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
When multiple inserters are taking from a single assembly machine, how does the game prioritize them?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I'm pretty sure it's whichever one was placed first? Or placed last? There are no fixed rules, it depends on the order the game updates the inserters.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Oxyclean posted:

I saw bitters wreck up some rails after wagon artillery fired on them. It looked like they only really attacked the spot they were fired on from, and didn't just rampage the whole track.

There's two things going on with biters.

First, they have the pathing that takes them to a source of pollution or attack. While on this path they'll only attack military buildings but if an object gets in the way of their pathing (like a tree or power pole) they'll attack that.

Once they've reached their destination they'll just gently caress everything up. So if they're targeting a source of pollution in your base they'll just start munching up your base. If you attack them with artillery the artillery location will be the target, so they'll path to that location and then once they're there just attack whatever.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It's a bit disappointing that long range attacks like artillery provoke an attack response. Don't really see how the fuckers should be smart enough to figure out where the artillery came from. :v:

Also seems like it makes train artillery not the most effective since you gotta stick around and protect the rails, or set up firing locations. Which brings me to a though: Why don't we have train mounted roboports? Automate rail repair (and extension.)

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Kibbles n Shits posted:

When multiple inserters are taking from a single assembly machine, how does the game prioritize them?

They take turns, meaning they can be a substitute for splitters in earlygame or compact setups

Oxyclean posted:

It's a bit disappointing that long range attacks like artillery provoke an attack response. Don't really see how the fuckers should be smart enough to figure out where the artillery came from. :v:

Also seems like it makes train artillery not the most effective since you gotta stick around and protect the rails, or set up firing locations. Which brings me to a though: Why don't we have train mounted roboports? Automate rail repair (and extension.)

A train-mounted roboport (and storage wagon) seems like a solid in-universe competitor with the FARL. I've noticed that the number of "default" mods has gone down since I started playing as the developers incorporated their changes into the main game, and the FARL is the only one that's stayed the same.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Whichever one you've set up circuit conditions to prioritize :colbert:

(I don't know, seems to alternate)

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Oxyclean posted:

I've been working on nuclear power for my MP base, and while I understand how to make things go, I don't really understand some of the nuts and bolts, or I feel like I'm over thinking things?

I think most of us have been there playing around with nuclear after it was introduced. After some experiments though I simply didn't have the patience to polish a design to perfection. This guy did so I just use his BP book.

https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=208&t=47556

I use his because you can lay it down in phases. First 2 reactors to get going. Later when you want more you overlay the size you want over what you have and it fits. The only thing I end up changing is the threshold for feeding new fuel. The 2 reactor one is set to 1M steam which it cannot store so it just burns fuel constantly. Set to 50 or 100k and it's works as desired.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ratzap posted:

I think most of us have been there playing around with nuclear after it was introduced. After some experiments though I simply didn't have the patience to polish a design to perfection. This guy did so I just use his BP book.

https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=208&t=47556

I use his because you can lay it down in phases. First 2 reactors to get going. Later when you want more you overlay the size you want over what you have and it fits. The only thing I end up changing is the threshold for feeding new fuel. The 2 reactor one is set to 1M steam which it cannot store so it just burns fuel constantly. Set to 50 or 100k and it's works as desired.

Wild. I've mostly tried to avoid using other's blueprints so far since I like to understand why & how things set up (and learn how to do things to a degree) so if I see something that makes my mind boggle, I feel a bit guilty using it. :v:

That said, soemone on reddit shared this coal liquification layout that's brilliant:

https://factorioprints.com/view/-L_dgvit-TLeoWF3EL6K

I had no idea how to what to do with coal liquification because it seemed like a lot of hassle to get the steam and heavy oil, and it'd just make more sense to keep on fuelling legacy poo poo with coal, and leave my oil products to do their own thing. But this is basically coal -> solid fuel, and it didn't dawn on me to just use the products of the liquefaction to keep the process going.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Yeah coal liquifation is great for some things. Just tap a few barrels of steam and heavy off your main base. Those will get it going so you can close the loop and walk away.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

You could just shove some fuel into the boilers to jump start them, it's only the heavy oil you'll need a temporary line to kick off the process.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

Why don't we have train mounted machine guns?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

ninjewtsu posted:

Why don't we have train mounted machine guns?

Or just a flatbed car you can stick turrets on. The biters had killed Thomas' friend Percy, and Thomas was steamed about it! If the biters keep wrecking our engines and rails, people will say this is a bad railroad! So Thomas pulled out of the station, and this time he had a gun.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

and if they don't like the pollution why do they keep expanding back into my butt? :colbert:
Cloud2Butt strikes again. :haw:

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Seems to be round-robin in the order they were placed.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Oxyclean posted:

Wild. I've mostly tried to avoid using other's blueprints so far since I like to understand why & how things set up (and learn how to do things to a degree) so if I see something that makes my mind boggle, I feel a bit guilty using it. :v:

That said, soemone on reddit shared this coal liquification layout that's brilliant:

I had no idea how to what to do with coal liquification because it seemed like a lot of hassle to get the steam and heavy oil, and it'd just make more sense to keep on fuelling legacy poo poo with coal, and leave my oil products to do their own thing. But this is basically coal -> solid fuel, and it didn't dawn on me to just use the products of the liquefaction to keep the process going.

So, does this end up creating more fuel per unit of coal than the coal itself? Obviously if you need solid fuel you need solid fuel, but I'm wondering why you'd fuel your boiler with solid fuel rather than some of the coal you're shipping in to turn into solid fuel.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

chairface posted:

Or just a flatbed car you can stick turrets on. The biters had killed Thomas' friend Percy, and Thomas was steamed about it! If the biters keep wrecking our engines and rails, people will say this is a bad railroad! So Thomas pulled out of the station, and this time he had a gun.

Need a flat bed that lets you put anything on it. Just have it provide 2x6 tiles you can use to put inserters, guns, smelters, whatever

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

FISHMANPET posted:

So, does this end up creating more fuel per unit of coal than the coal itself? Obviously if you need solid fuel you need solid fuel, but I'm wondering why you'd fuel your boiler with solid fuel rather than some of the coal you're shipping in to turn into solid fuel.

If the recipe hasn't changed in the last two years: https://steamcommunity.com/app/427520/discussions/0/1319962417042759428/

quote:

If you don't count energy for the processing (because of solar), you turn 10 coal into 5 solid fuel.

Coal is 8MJ (16 for 2 coal), solid fuel is 25MJ, so unless I missed something, you gain a fairly substancial 9MJ each time, which means an increase of about half from your starting coal.

The only thing is that you have to make sure to not send more of the heavy oil towards the solid fuel each cycle or you will eventually run out, but that's very easy to solve with a tank for heavy oil and a pump before the solid fuel crafting, disabled if the heavy oil goes bellow a certain amount in the tank.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Oxyclean posted:

Liquifaction let's you turn coal patches into self contained plastic factories which is worth it all on its own. Just provide power and it outputs plastic for you to train off.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

Im glad I updated to .17 to continue my factory. These recipes seem much easier. So far Ive been extensively looking at the wiki and watched one video/guide by KatherineofSky. Ive got science 3 pretty much solved and just got military science going too. I think my main bus is way too god drat big with a full bus set aside for 4 lanes of copper I havent even needed to set up smelting for yet.

Is there a guide for laying out train tracks? Ive run 2 non connected lines that loop at the ends so the train can turn around, but the process of lining up the tracks to get them to merge was a pain and they look horrific. I cant seem to wrap my head around how the track drawing tool works.

When I get home in a bit Ill post some pics of my spaghetti rear end mining/smelting lines and ask for some feedback, as Im about to run another train line out to iron but not sure how to bring it into the factory without building a whole new electric smelting area and figure out how to feed it to my bus.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Apparently 0.17 introduced new values for liquefaction (it was mentioned in the reddit thread)

someone also did some math:

quote:

I got some slightly different numbers.

10 units of coal have a fuel value of 40 MJ.

One liquefaction cycles requires 2.1 MJ.

Cracking 75 heavy to light requires 0.7875 MJ.

Processing 76.25 light to solid requires 3.2025 MJ.

Processing 10 petroleum to solid requires 0.21 MJ.

Producing 50 units of steam requires 0.15 MJ.

The process yields 8.1125 solid fuel (assuming solid fuel is used to produce 50 units of steam).

For an input of 46.45 MJ, you get 97.35 MJ, a ratio of just under 1:2.1. Carnot rolls in his grave.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Oxyclean posted:

see, motherfuckers come in with a colonial, speciesist attitude like this and then act surprised when they lose a war to emus

biters work the same way

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I like to imagine the factorio planet as a single organsim ala SMAC's Planet, where the biters are an antibody type response to a foriegn invader.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Any thoughts on steel smelting? Do you prefer a double-furnace arrangement for going ore to steel in one place or exporting iron off the bus into another 'normal' smelting column? I've never come up with a smeltery that felt particularly "good" to be honest.

I am using a new (to me) layout for steel in the early game that I really like:

Nice and compact, just stick a filter splitter or an underground belt on the end to take the steel and block the coal. I usually build them this length (12 smelters per row, 24 total) so that once I upgrade to steel furnaces the build will fully consume half a yellow belt of iron ore. Two or three of these next to each other will satisfy your steel needs for a good long time.

My favourite thing about this layout is how quick it is to build, I picked it up from watching Factorio speedruns. There is no careful individual placement of objects, you can do the whole thing with big click-and-drag motions.

Later in the game I don't bother with anything this cute, with red belts I just have a stack of 48 steel furnaces making iron plates feed in to another stack of 48 furnaces making steel, and when I get to electric furnaces and blue belts I go back to inserting directly from furnace to furnace since coal routing is no loner an issue.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Jamsque posted:

I am using a new (to me) layout for steel in the early game that I really like:

Nice and compact, just stick a filter splitter or an underground belt on the end to take the steel and block the coal. I usually build them this length (12 smelters per row, 24 total) so that once I upgrade to steel furnaces the build will fully consume half a yellow belt of iron ore. Two or three of these next to each other will satisfy your steel needs for a good long time.

My favourite thing about this layout is how quick it is to build, I picked it up from watching Factorio speedruns. There is no careful individual placement of objects, you can do the whole thing with big click-and-drag motions.

Later in the game I don't bother with anything this cute, with red belts I just have a stack of 48 steel furnaces making iron plates feed in to another stack of 48 furnaces making steel, and when I get to electric furnaces and blue belts I go back to inserting directly from furnace to furnace since coal routing is no loner an issue.

Oh wow that's rad as hell but also makes perfect sense when you think about it. I would probably run a full belt of iron ore and a full belt coal for the initial but there will always be room on the output belt for that even if you run coal there as well...

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Apparently 0.17 introduced new values for liquefaction (it was mentioned in the reddit thread)

someone also did some math:

the "extra" energy is actually because the moisture and uncombustable volatiles are driven off the coal during liquifaction, hence allowing more recoverable heat energy from the solid fuel compared to the coal. Or something. Who knows.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oxyclean posted:

I would suggest that they can probably hear it go bang when it fires.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I mean if you're concerned the appropriate solution is to install the nuke artillery mod, then be done

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Who needs a fancy steel bus when you can make steel on demand! Don't forget the garlic bread, it's spaghetti night!

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Drone_Fragger posted:

the "extra" energy is actually because the moisture and uncombustable volatiles are driven off the coal during liquifaction, hence allowing more recoverable heat energy from the solid fuel compared to the coal. Or something. Who knows.

Yeah, the science of combustion is really complex and even a century ago people were designing around the specifics of burning coal.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Dezinus posted:

Who needs a fancy steel bus when you can make steel on demand! Don't forget the garlic bread, it's spaghetti night!

Making steel from your iron line puts so much strain on your iron logistics. It's like 5 iron plates for a steel one and you need a buttload of 'em.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I'm really enjoying the .17 no BP no wiki play though. It's not quite total spaghetti but it's far from optimized. Things were going well until I sparked up purple circuits and my entire iron/copper/green circuit bus poo poo the bed. My starting patches are almost tapped out so I hopped in my tank and became death incarnate, and now I have a 10m copper and 20m iron patch to send my trains to. I really need to buckle down and make a mall with inserters/belts/etc. I'm still handcrafting that poo poo and it's terrible.

I love this game.

BTW - if you didn't know, Lowtax is in some financial poo poo and the forums are in danger.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3884184

If you like discussing Factorio with goons and not having to resort to Reddit, consider donating to his Patreon or using the donate button up top.

https://www.patreon.com/GamingGarbage/overview

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 12, 2019

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
By the way, for all zero of you who use Side Inserters, Factorio 0.17.11 included a fix not mentioned in the changelog, that makes fast-replaced or bot-upgraded inserters keep any custom direction/pickup they have set.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i use side inserters but between new path of exile league, ff14 grind and warframe content i only played .17 up to green tech send help :rip:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Honk 3.0.0 released - :siren: BIG TIME CHANGES :siren:

While updating Honk to use proper API calls instead of the old hacky method it used to play sounds, I noticed that the audible range is really low in 0.17

The new iHonk2.0 algorithm defaults to on but can be disabled, and is audible over a much larger (and user-definable) distance. The audible volume will be proportional to the distance between the player and the train. This may have a performance impact, but I'm not sure to what degree.

One thing I haven't been able to do is test it in multiplayer, so please let me know if breaks horribly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Factory Town, which I think was mentioned here a bit ago, just hit early access and looks super cute. Seems like gnomoria/factorio hybrid the best I can describe it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/860890/Factory_Town/