Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Oh man, I remember one of the Alien comics I read where there was a squad of alien hunters and they all wore Power-Loader suits.

Just power-loader suits. They weren't modified into war-machines or anything like that, they just wore them because Ripley wore one and everyone loves that final fight... and maybe because it was a power-up in the kickin'-rad ALIENS arcade game where Ripley and Hicks blast the piss out of a million aliens. :hellyeah:

Imagine going to war in fork-lift trucks. That's what they were doing in this comic. Hahaha.

Julius CSAR posted:

Man there’s a video I’m trying to find of a guy who does old movie reviews and he talks about how Titanic was actually an action movie that got re-edited to be a romance after that Celine Dion song dropped and it’s one of the reasons the movie feels really conflicted.

I thought it was that Oliver Harper dude on Youtube but I can’t find the video :(

Pages ago, but was it Red Letter Media's Titanic video? Mr. Plinkett gets into the marketing and delays and the Celine Dion song pretty extensively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Owlbear Camus posted:

Just looking at the covers I picture Herk Mondo as a character who exists as fiction in the Aliens universe. Like Hudson has a few issues in his foot locker and likes to read about Herk's wild adventures bedding aucturians and fighting UPP SPETZNAZ.

That's UPP Kosmospetsnaz.

Honestly, I love that the Gibson Alien 3 script is getting the love it's getting because I love me the concept of the Space Warsaw Pact as a counter to Weyland-Yutani exocapitalism.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Good thread. I watched Aliens last night cause of this. My personal opinion is that only the first two are good movies but Resurrection, Prometheus, and the first Alien vs Predator are the better bad ones. Alien 3 is garbage and yes I've seen the assembly cut, it's still garbage just like the director's cut of Daredevil that everyone swears fixes the movie.

I haven't seen covenant yet

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Julius CSAR posted:

I know we're talking (mostly) about Aliens here, but there's been some other chat about 80's action movies in general, so I'm gonna talk about why "The Hunt For Red October" is one my favorite movies.

We watched that movie on the flight over to Saudi Arabia for the first Gulf War.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Young Freud posted:

That's UPP Kosmospetsnaz.

Honestly, I love that the Gibson Alien 3 script is getting the love it's getting because I love me the concept of the Space Warsaw Pact as a counter to Weyland-Yutani exocapitalism.

Out of curiosity, I scrubbed through a longplay of that DS game with the incredible soundtrack from a couple pages back and the UPP gets namechecked during the obligatory building tension initial phase (like "Hey this must be the space commies who done this") while they're investigating the derelict Sulaco. There's also a cat scare. :3:

I'm fixing to run an Aliens/Predator universe tabletop RPG using the Mothership rules soon and I plan to salvage that bit of world-building to flesh things out.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 11, 2019

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lord Ludikrous posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqzYjWLqgNA

This is so bad it wraps around to being good.

This reminds me of a music video I saw forever ago that's just the band reciting the entire plot of Starship Troopers over some incredibly generic metal lol.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

purple death ray posted:

Alien 3 is garbage and yes I've seen the assembly cut, it's still garbage just like the director's cut of Daredevil that everyone swears fixes the movie.

There are precisely two good bits in Alien 3:

1- Charles Dance can read a phone book and still emotionally grip you.

2- This 120x120px gif of Michael Beihn earnt him almost much as he earnt for his entire work in Aliens

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

I'm fixing to run an Aliens/Predator universe tabletop RPG using the Mothership rules soon and I plan to salvage that bit of world-building to flesh things out.

I'm going to amend Rick Gubble's backstory then. He saw a predator once.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Well whoopdie-fuckin'-doo. Hey I'm impressed.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Well? Did he want some candy or not?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

Well whoopdie-fuckin'-doo. Hey I'm impressed.

Yeah well I hope you like hearing about it, cause its a story Gubble likes telling.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
There is an excellent Aliens game for the Nintendo DS. I own it but it's somewhere in storage after I moved. That's the most recent good Aliens game. Isolation notwithstanding.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Did anyone play the Aliens vs Predator game for Atari Jaguar?

I remember I was at a friend of a friend's house who had it way back when and it looked so loving awesome.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Drunken Baker posted:

Imagine going to war in fork-lift trucks. That's what they were doing in this comic. Hahaha.

that would be sick though

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Vargs posted:

I can't speak for the Aliens version, but SS13 is super unique and cool if you can stomach the awful visuals, lag, and controls not fit for human use. There's nothing else like it.

On Goonstation sometimes you get someone playing the role of the alien from The Thing and it owns. 8/10 would get devoured by a horrible space monster inside of a vent again.

Well, if you can imagine all this but everyone is issued extremely deadly weaponry at round start, you can extrapolate how CM typically goes.

SS13 is an anomaly on all counts. I'm the most impatient gamer in the world yet I'll gladly tool around in SS13 for hours as a botanist, doing little more than growing space weed or starting a cult of pumpkin -headed assistants who pry up floor tiles and lay down a slow, creeping wave of sod across the station.

It's the sheer unpredictability of the human element, I guess.

Which leads me right back to CM. I love it because even when you can call it for the aliens 5 minutes in, you never quite know where and how you're going to die and what you're going to accomplish along the way. It's a story generator of the highest quality.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Durzel posted:

There used to be an Alien experience thing at an arcade in London back around 2010 where you were dropped in with some people playing as Marines, who get ambushed by Aliens, etc. Naturally it was poo poo your pants terrifying.

A mate of mine took his girlfriend there, they had only been going out for a short time. She apparently screamed the whole time and they broke up afterwards lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-aBs7TB000

Alien Wars.... it actually first opened back when Alien:3 was released on VHS as there was a trailer for it on my copy, it was re-opened in 2010 but had lost the license to use actual Xenomorph's I beleive it also opened in Glasgow for a while prior to the london re-opening.

I never went to it which I regret to this day

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
If anyone wants the SS13 experience but at a slightly more, uh, manageable level try out Rimworld, it's great. You can harvest organs and make space crack

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

VikingSkull posted:

If anyone wants the SS13 experience but at a slightly more, uh, manageable level try out Rimworld, it's great. You can harvest organs and make space crack
I'd kill a man for an SS13 engine remake with Rimworld graphics and decent controls,

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Splicer posted:

I'd kill a man for an SS13 engine remake with Rimworld graphics and decent controls,

If I had a dollar for every failed SS13 remake I'd have enough to fund a professional SS13 remake.

That's 15 years of collaborative spaghetti code made by developers who who coded without communicating with one another then hosed off to a remote mountain monastery to never be seen again.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I think I'm going to watch AvP Requiem tonight.

In the last week I've seen Alien, Aliens, Alien 3, AvP, about 5 minutes of Covenant which I need to revisit. So let's try this one tonight.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I've been showing my girlfriend the aliens franchise because of this thread and so we watched Alien first. She'd never seen it before and she guessed most of what was going to happen next. It kind of made me realize how different pacing in movies was back then compared to more recent films. Aliens later this week. I can't wait.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

frogge posted:

I've been showing my girlfriend the aliens franchise because of this thread and so we watched Alien first. She'd never seen it before and she guessed most of what was going to happen next. It kind of made me realize how different pacing in movies was back then compared to more recent films. Aliens later this week. I can't wait.

Did she like it? This is important for the future of your relationship.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP5EfOWFF1E

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
drat those graphics still hold up.

Apparently Steam doesn't have it though. They have the original AvP though.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I’ve never seen the AvP movies, are they as bad as they look?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hioTx0XCaEc

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

The AvP 2 (2002) PC game is still a great game and I suggest everyone play it at least once.

The multiplayer was amazing, there were mods for full alien life cycle. Sneaking up on a marine or a predator and face hugging them in a dark corner was a blast. Trying to survive as a newborn alien for like 2 mins before you were full grown was hectic as hell.

Sadly the multiplayer doesn't work anymore (gamespy), I've read you can still play it somehow but it looked like a pain to do.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Julius CSAR posted:

Pretty much. The first one establishes the relationship between the two which is fine but there are some... interesting plot decisions that I don't quite like.

I've only seen the second one one time but I think I remember liking it more than the first. I might watch it tonight to see if that still stands.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Julius CSAR posted:

The first one is bad but fun, I don't like the second but a lot of people prefer it. It's also bad.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I watched Aliens with my wife last weekend. It was her first time seeing it. I only jumped at her to scare her once, which I thought was quite restrained. She liked it, so I'm keeping her. I told her that at some point we should watch the director's cut because it adds some cool scenes & background, but it ruins the intro and the pacing is way off.

Also, never watch another alien movie

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Rickety Cricket is in AvP 2 lol. The pizza place manager.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Rickety Cricket is in AvP 2 lol. The pizza place manager.

Hahaha. Picturing him with those burns he gets now and imagining an alien did it.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pennywise the Frown posted:

drat those graphics still hold up.

Apparently Steam doesn't have it though. They have the original AvP though.

i think it's in licensing hell so don't count on ever seeing it

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Hopefully people who like Aliens know about Natural Selection, a Half Life mod which had a commercial sequel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g91EqzvEItM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp-4iaKXP68

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

feelix posted:

The same people that dislike the Starship Troopers movie for not being a faithful representation of the Starship Troopers book, which is an actual fascist manifesto

It was required reading at the military academy.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
xenomorph/arachnid baby. Imagine it! :hellyeah:

Drunken Baker fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 12, 2019

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Speaking of game mods, did anyone play the Quake 2 mid called Gloom?

I spent hours facehugging grunts and getting one shotted.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Wizchine posted:

Aliens needs to be seen in the theater with a crowd. I remember the audience cheering at least a couple of times: when Vasquez finally cuts loose ("Let's rock!") and when the doors open to reveal Ripley in the power loader.

When I saw Aliens in the theater on release weekend the audience went loving NUTS when Ripley came out of the hanger with the power armor.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 12, 2019

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

TheMostFrench posted:

Hopefully people who like Aliens know about Natural Selection, a Half Life mod which had a commercial sequel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g91EqzvEItM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp-4iaKXP68

I used to play the heck out of NS1 when I was a teenager. I apparently own NS2, is it still an active game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caf
May 21, 2004

I'm King James! The Lion King!
In an amazing coincidence, I adopted a dog and named her Ripley on the same day this thread was posted.