Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Astro7x posted:

Watcher Knight, even with the chandelier trick, was probably the hardest boss fight in that game

I tried them again in the final DLC and it was super tough for sure, but I remember I beat them on the 2nd or 3rd attempt when I actually first encountered them without the chandelier. It was at the time I was really into Hollow Knight and I was very zen about it. Just weaving around them and slashing only when I could get a hit in. No gimmicks. I don't think I ever played HK that well, except during my Coliseum win or for maybe the time I beat the final boss and. But to get to that point I had to try at least 6 times for the boss, before everything finally clicked and it felt like time had slowed down. The Coliseum took many attempts and I think even gimmicked that one a touch.

Never got to that point with NKG. I didn't want to be bothered if I'm being honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
:canada: people: is the Mar10 sale only on switch+game bundles? That's all I'm seeing on Amazon, will check EBGames on my way home later.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Far as I could tell it's a limited number of bundles, yea.

I'm cynical as hell and never get hyped for video games and think the industry is a joke and seeing screenshots of Mario Odyssey has me excited for the thing to show up

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Wheeee posted:

Far as I could tell it's a limited number of bundles, yea.

I'm cynical as hell and never get hyped for video games and think the industry is a joke and seeing screenshots of Mario Odyssey has me excited for the thing to show up

Buckle up, you're in for a treat! Odyssey was the first game in a few years to get me hyped and it did not disappoint.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Yeah, then you beat it, and more content awaits you than you've seen in the game previously. It's... kind of weird (and awesome) that way; there's literally more to do AFTER your 'final' encounter with Bowser.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, then you beat it, and more content awaits you than you've seen in the game previously. It's... kind of weird (and awesome) that way; there's literally more to do AFTER your 'final' encounter with Bowser.

I just want to stress that every recent Mario game has challenges in post game. This is more it doubles the moon count in every level in addition to the challenges. There's also multiple areas of challenges and one of them I'd call more a nostalgia trip than a challenge.

That post game could be a 2nd full game and I'd be happy to pay $60 for pre Bowser and $60 for post Bowser. It's a goddamned steal with home much content there is.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Foehammer posted:

Watcher Knights suck, I always end up putting them off until the end of my run, once I've picked up Quick Slash and have the nail maxed.

While not a "damage race" per se, the two independently moving bosses end up creating un-dodgeable combinations when they traverse the screen, so it's easier to blitz them down as quickly as possible.

One trick is to try to keep both active knights onscreen at the same time; if they are offscreen, they'll roll or bounce-roll at you but they won't roll as much if you're close to them.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Nintendo games have been like that for a while now. They've gotten really good at balancing difficulty with optional quests where anyone is able to "beat" the game and pro players still face a challenge if they want to 100%.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I got Steamworld Dig on stupid sale and I blasted through the whole thing in a day and my brain craved more so immediately bought Steamworld Dig 2 half-off

It's good

What is the other Steamworld game like? Looks very different

Xegaus
Sep 27, 2006
King of nothing!

The Bloop posted:

I got Steamworld Dig on stupid sale and I blasted through the whole thing in a day and my brain craved more so immediately bought Steamworld Dig 2 half-off

It's good

2-D Xcom. It's also pretty good.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

ScarTheKiller posted:

2-D Xcom. It's also pretty good.

See also Worms.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

The Bloop posted:

It's good

Steamworld Heist is good but very different, do not go into it expecting more of Dig/Dig 2. It's a 2D turn-based strategy/tactics game that plays nothing like the Metroidvania-meets-Dig Dug gameplay of the Dig games. If that seems even remotely appealing, it's definitely worth $6.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If I were to compare it to anything else on switch it would be like Mario Rabbids except you need to aim and ricochet your shots like Worms

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Sounds neat.
Watched their video. Looks neat.

In my old brain this is a modernized Scorched Earth (which, yeah, is what Worms is)

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://twitter.com/GameDataLibrary/status/1103855928732979202

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Splatoon at the top was literally unthinkable 5 years ago. Astonishing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Think of how expensive Nintendo games are and then look at those figures :eyepop:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

That is a lot of copies of 1-2 switch. If you can pick up a copy used (better borrow / rent it) the marble counting game is really impressive and nothing else has used the HD Rumble like that, not even Super Mario Party.

edit: that's Japan only, how is mon hun so low?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Think of people saying Nintendo was dead during the Wii U while Nintendo had enough cash on hand to buy Xbox

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Picked up Steamworld Heist on sale off of the thread recommendation.

It's pretty good, but holy poo poo do some of the missions like to throw enemies at you. There were a few that I couldn't 3-Star without revisiting much later in the game, after I had weapons that could one-shot enemies, or even perform multiple attacks per turn.

Also, gently caress the close combat enemies that explode on death.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

bushisms.txt posted:

Splatoon at the top was literally unthinkable 5 years ago. Astonishing.

Splatoon wasn't announced until e3 2014 so this is literally true.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Splatoon 1 was the top selling game for the lifetime of the Wii U in Japan, so that's not really a huge shock.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it's shocking because the game is a bore

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Super No Vacancy posted:

Or maybe it is you who is in fact bad and not good

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

pixaal posted:

That is a lot of copies of 1-2 switch. If you can pick up a copy used (better borrow / rent it) the marble counting game is really impressive and nothing else has used the HD Rumble like that, not even Super Mario Party.

edit: that's Japan only, how is mon hun so low?

More people probably bought XX on 3DS.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Tag yourself I'm beloved Nintendo Character Obese Farmer

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Nep-Nep posted:

Splatoon wasn't announced until e3 2014 so this is literally true.

The announcement of Splatoon was met with calls of it being DOA and selling as much as w101. An online shooter audience, especially in Japan, wasn't really considered a possibility for Nintendo.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Super No Vacancy posted:

So are the other 19 titles in that tweet so it's in good company

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

HenryEx posted:

So are the other 19 titles in that tweet so it's in good company

Especially Breath of the Wild - I don't know how anyone finds weapons that break in four hits fun.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It’s all just filler until ARMS 2 anyway.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kirios posted:

Especially Breath of the Wild - I don't know how anyone finds weapons that break in four hits fun.
you can just grab the fish out of the water, shoot them or even use bombs

you don't need bait

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Huxley posted:

Lolita is a good book. It's about how a diseased mind will twist itself into seeing and believing whatever it needs in order to give itself permission to do whatever it has decided it's going to do anyway.

Just like the Nintendo Switch thread

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Kirios posted:

Why do people keep trying to start this dumb thread derail?
Funny thing is, even a twig takes 5 hits, two swings and 3 warning shots, so this is literally wrong.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kirios posted:

I can't even tell what's real any more

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Astro7x posted:

Watcher Knight, even with the chandelier trick, was probably the hardest boss fight in that game

No way the evil mantis dude is way harder.

Source: I can’t beat him (I never did try any of the cheese strategies this thread recommended, by that time I’d lost interest v_v)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Only four third party titles.

Switch is Dead.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I was going to reply earlier but my keyboard was about to break so I threw it at a Bokoblin and switched to another one.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The only reason Splatoon 2 is number 1 is because of its vast lewd storyline of squid/octopus relations

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It took me about 24 hours to 100% Adventure in Smash as just Kirby. It's a really nice Kirby game about eating people. The Snake form is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Old boy Splatoon tie in when?

New roller variant shaped into a hammer,plz