Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp
Ever heard the first episode of a podcast and it becomes your favorite podcast immediately?

This just happened to me with the Gossip Mongers Podcast

David Earl, Joe Wilkinson, and Poppy Hillstead read out unsubstantiated rumours sent in by listeners. At the end of each episode they choose their favourite piece of gossip and help spread it further by getting Poppy to shout it out the window.

Behold the strange tales of the wizard of Duncraig, the horse fiddler and the tragic tale of wellybaby. This is the funniest podcast I have heard in ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Is there a podcast about cooking that's a bit more on the science side of things? Like what happens when you cook meat, proteins breaking down or whatever, and why fried tomatoes have a different health benefit, that sort of thing.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

mike12345 posted:

Is there a podcast about cooking that's a bit more on the science side of things? Like what happens when you cook meat, proteins breaking down or whatever, and why fried tomatoes have a different health benefit, that sort of thing.

Didn't know I wanted that until now.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Thanks to whoever recommended Darknet Diaries here a while ago. That has become one of my favorites, especially the IRS episode.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Thanks to whoever recommended Darknet Diaries here a while ago. That has become one of my favorites, especially the IRS episode.

Yeah ditto, I love it and it’s become one of my gf’s favorites too.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hmm, I haven't listened to What a Time to Be Alive in a while I wonder what's made the news since then, has the news slowed to the point that Hbomberguy's stream made the for the top five since I left off- PATTON OSWALD?!

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
IDK about the other episodes but the gg Allin episode of disgraceland is pretty great.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Has anyone here recommended Punch Up The Jam yet? It's hosted by Demi Adejuyigbe and his friend Miel Bredouw. You probably know Demi from the Gilmore Guys podcast or from his song parodies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwH0cMBMVh0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMBylNJQEbg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG7GlmrHS78&t=41s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_96bgvIDlM

Each week Demi and Miel pick a well known song and go through it line by line, usually making fun of the lyrics and music in the process. At the end of each episode one of them presents a parody version of the song, these are usually really, really good. You can listen to a bunch of their older punch ups here: https://soundcloud.com/punchupthejam

You can probably start with any episode that sounds interesting to you, there are a few in-jokes but you won't miss much if you don't get them. I really liked the It Wasn't Me episode so you could pick that one if you can't make up your mind.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
What are good book/literature podcasts?

I'm not interested in the stuff like "Let's Read All of the Star Wars EU books" or other "Let's Read Bad Books". More like, Let's Discuss A Classic or something. Maybe not as specific as Obscure with Michael Ian Black, but close

Eggplant Ronin
Apr 26, 2007

How you like my balls now?:smug:

Thanks for the suggestion, and it looked good from the outset, but it's not for me. The fact the hosts are Christian themselves and super twee put me off.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Franchescanado posted:

"Let's Read All of the Star Wars EU books"

Is that an actual podcast?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SalTheBard posted:

Is that an actual podcast?

From two pages ago in this thread:

Terry van Feleday posted:

Lately I've enjoyed listening to The Shrieking Shack, a podcast by 2 lapsed Harry Potter fans going back to reread and discuss the entirety of the original books chapter-by-chapter while also taking the time to poke fun at some of the more cursed sides of the fandom and the brand's current media presence.

I like their good-faith approach to the reading, being willing to appreciate the parts that still hold up but also really tear into the bits that... don't. Their dedicated comedy bits are a little hit-or-miss, but generally they're a pretty funny duo and made me laugh out load a couple of times.

Are there other podcasts doing these kinds of media deep-dives? Only one I know is System Mastery's Expounded Universe spinoff show, but as much as I like System Mastery I just... Cannot handle the Star Wars EU.

theironjef posted:

If you can handle the Star Wars EU though, definitely check out Expounded Universe because it's a jam. We've done Shadows of the Empire, Crystal Star, Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina, and Courtship of Princess Leia so far!

Which sounds like a fun project, but it's not what I'm looking for.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
https://mobile.twitter.com/SwordAndScale/status/1104477953361133568

Sword and scale got kicked off of wondery network, so Mike threw a temper tantrum and canceled the entire thing.

About time.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 11, 2019

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Franchescanado posted:

What are good book/literature podcasts?

I'm not interested in the stuff like "Let's Read All of the Star Wars EU books" or other "Let's Read Bad Books". More like, Let's Discuss A Classic or something. Maybe not as specific as Obscure with Michael Ian Black, but close

There's Overdue, which tackles all those books you've been meaning to read.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Harminoff posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SwordAndScale/status/1104477953361133568

Sword and scale got kicked off of wondery network, so Mike threw a temper tantrum and canceled the entire thing.

About time.

Wow, who could have possibly imagined that a dude so obsessed with the idea of mentally ill people who could go off at any moment was himself a ticking timebomb all along.

RIP gross weird overproduced snuff audio guy

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

This is a great suggestion. Thank you.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Does anyone else listen to "Friends Like These"?? The real life parts are just weird fiction right?? I'm pretty sure about this but not 100%.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

What’s a good starter episode?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hyrax Attack! posted:

What’s a good starter episode?

There’s a list of best episodes on that website.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I've been tinkering around with starting a Literature and interesting fiction podcast for a while now. For those who would be interested in this niche, what would you want to see in one?
Thanks!

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Anyone can recommend dutch podcasts for someone new to the language? Maybe political, maybe historical, but it doesn't really matter. Dank u wel.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

mike12345 posted:

Anyone can recommend dutch podcasts for someone new to the language? Maybe political, maybe historical, but it doesn't really matter. Dank u wel.

Heh. I don’t listen to many podcast in my own language at the moment to be honest.
The Dutch public broadcasters Vpro and npo nos seem to have a wide array of podcasts. But haven’t listened to most of them.

Since I’m flemish I know more Belgian podcasts.
The newspaper ‘De standaard’ has its ds audio podcast which is in itself a collection of podcasts about various subjects. From politics, current events, stories to technology.
Mostly international.

VRT NWS podcast (stands for ‘nieuws’, not Not Work Safe:)) sometimes local news, often international.

‘Iemand’ from Radio 1 interviews 1 interesting person each podcast.

They’re all very serious. I know some comedy podcasts, but they’re often in flemish dialect and probably not what you’re looking for.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

mrfart posted:

Heh. I don’t listen to many podcast in my own language at the moment to be honest.
The Dutch public broadcasters Vpro and npo nos seem to have a wide array of podcasts. But haven’t listened to most of them.

Since I’m flemish I know more Belgian podcasts.
The newspaper ‘De standaard’ has its ds audio podcast which is in itself a collection of podcasts about various subjects. From politics, current events, stories to technology.
Mostly international.

VRT NWS podcast (stands for ‘nieuws’, not Not Work Safe:)) sometimes local news, often international.

‘Iemand’ from Radio 1 interviews 1 interesting person each podcast.

They’re all very serious. I know some comedy podcasts, but they’re often in flemish dialect and probably not what you’re looking for.

I went and searched reddit for "nederlandstalige podcasts", and found a thread were a guy asked the question two months ago. Lots of stuff there:
https://old.reddit.com/r/thenetherlands/comments/ad6h83/wat_vinden_jullie_de/

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Podcasts that feature spooky 'real' stories/supernatural stuff/cryptids that aren't Astonishing Legends or Last Podcast on the Left? I'm not looking for creepypasta/ghost story podcasts.

I really like Astonishing Legends, anything that might be in a similar format would be great. I want to like LPotL but I don't really think the hosts are funny for all the comedy they try to do. Like, I want to hear the story, but one dude keeps yelling in 'hilarious' voices or ranting about stuff that's barely connected, and the other one just keeps making incredulous comments every other word. I just want to hear about Skinwalker Ranch!! Stop talking in a stupid cowboy voice!! Go back! The topics they cover are great, but I really don't like the way they present things.

A comedy/spooky paranormal podcast would be fun, just uh, not that one for me.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

big dyke energy posted:

Podcasts that feature spooky 'real' stories/supernatural stuff/cryptids that aren't Astonishing Legends or Last Podcast on the Left? I'm not looking for creepypasta/ghost story podcasts.

I really like Astonishing Legends, anything that might be in a similar format would be great. I want to like LPotL but I don't really think the hosts are funny for all the comedy they try to do. Like, I want to hear the story, but one dude keeps yelling in 'hilarious' voices or ranting about stuff that's barely connected, and the other one just keeps making incredulous comments every other word. I just want to hear about Skinwalker Ranch!! Stop talking in a stupid cowboy voice!! Go back! The topics they cover are great, but I really don't like the way they present things.

I think the closest thing to what you’re looking for might be MonsterTalk, at least as far as what I’m familiar with. It falls harder on the skeptic side and I haven’t listened with any regularity for a few years but their library is free and goes back to 2009.

Mysterious Universe up until like....season 7 was pretty drat good for the stuff you’re interested in but they’re more or less complete sellouts at this point. You can probably :filez: the seasons I mentioned and I do recommend them if you can.

Finally, my wife swears by The Cryptid Keeper, which is a more lighthearted jokesy Podcast about pretty much any cryptid hoax or otherwise, but I haven’t listened to it yet.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Yeah, skeptic side stuff is what I'm interested in most, sorry for leaving that out! Astonishing Legends is starting to drift a little too 'its all REAL' for me, though I still like it.

MonsterTalk and Cryptid Keeper sound great, I'm always interested in the hoaxes. Thanks! I will check them out.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

big dyke energy posted:

I’ve been enjoying the Cryptonaut Podcast, very goofy but informative and covers some obscure cryptids I hadn’t heard of prior.

Historical Blindness is more of a general historical mysteries show but has covered some cool stuff like the Voynich manuscript and the guy has a great voice.

I have Lore, Not Alone, Our Strange Skies, and the What If podcast on my list but I haven’t tried them yet, though I hear good things about the lot.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Panic Restaurant posted:

I’ve been enjoying the Cryptonaut Podcast, very goofy but informative and covers some obscure cryptids I hadn’t heard of prior.

Historical Blindness is more of a general historical mysteries show but has covered some cool stuff like the Voynich manuscript and the guy has a great voice.

I have Lore, Not Alone, Our Strange Skies, and the What If podcast on my list but I haven’t tried them yet, though I hear good things about the lot.
I'll second all these and add in Pleasing Terrors as another recommendation.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Delete all mystery/crypid podcasts and download Art Bell Coast to Coast AM.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Lampsacus posted:

Delete all mystery/crypid podcasts and download Art Bell Coast to Coast AM.

rip Art :( I miss him

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Did 8-4 play ever do their 2nd part of the Resident Evil podcast they did back in 2011 (gently caress me was it that long ago)...

HanzoSchmanzo
Apr 11, 2011

big dyke energy posted:

I really like Astonishing Legends, anything that might be in a similar format would be great. I want to like LPotL but I don't really think the hosts are funny for all the comedy they try to do. Like, I want to hear the story, but one dude keeps yelling in 'hilarious' voices or ranting about stuff that's barely connected, and the other one just keeps making incredulous comments every other word. I just want to hear about Skinwalker Ranch!! Stop talking in a stupid cowboy voice!! Go back! The topics they cover are great, but I really don't like the way they present it

A comedy/spooky paranormal podcast would be fun, anyone , just uh, not that one for me.

Will second Cryptonauts. It's a great show.
May also want to check out 'stuff they don't want you to know'.

Also, anyone interested in the topic would enjoy the Chilluminati podcast. They even have a resident skeptic.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

I don't really know MovieCrush, but they sat down with Christopher Walken to talk about Footloose. Starts off funny, but a bit too long.

https://www.moviecrush.show/podcasts/mc-special-episode-christopher-walken-on-footloose.htm

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
'It could happen here' from 'behind the bastards' robert evans is really interesting so far. Of course, it's only the second episode, not sure if it's intended to be a long series

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

mrfart posted:

'It could happen here' from 'behind the bastards' robert evans is really interesting so far. Of course, it's only the second episode, not sure if it's intended to be a long series

It's a nine-part series. I agree though, really interesting.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Would anyone know of any good quality radioplay sources? I listen to a few on BBC iplayer, but their pool is a bit small.

I suppose I'm thinking of something like the old hour long, or half hour long, suspense radio plays, like Rear Window or similar. I have about an hourlong drive, and I can't be having swearing with wee tots in the back, but they don't mind someone being shot in the face.

Or poisoned.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The latest Reply All is pure magic and knowing anything else about it before you listen would diminish it

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

blue squares posted:

The latest Reply All is pure magic and knowing anything else about it before you listen would diminish it

140?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I wish Less Than, Approximately, Greater Than and 88 were actual podcasts with more than one episodes.