Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My family is flying YVR to SFO on an AC 737MAX 8 in May so I’m really hoping they get whatever is going on figured out by then :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

priznat posted:

My family is flying YVR to SFO on an AC 737MAX 8 in May so I’m really hoping they get whatever is going on figured out by then :ohdear:

I wouldn’t worry. There are still hundreds of Max’s flying without experiencing issues. These two mishaps very well could be hugely coincidental in terms of timing and similarity.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

holocaust bloopers posted:

I wouldn’t worry. There are still hundreds of Max’s flying without experiencing issues. These two mishaps very well could be hugely coincidental in terms of timing and similarity.

Yeah not mentioning it to my wife, even so. Air Canada is not grounding the aircraft along with the rest of North American operators.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Standard HUGE grain on salt due to the normal reliability of eyewitness accounts, but several have cited smoke, debris, and unusual noise prior to the crash.

All could easily be explained away as people seeing and hearing what they wanted to in the lead up to the crash. If they turn out to be accurate though, then it's unlikely the crash had the same cause.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Something like 82% of witnesses report seeing a plane on fire during mishaps where no visible fire occurred. USAF Flight Safety school spent time discussing how unreliable witness testimony can be.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, that's why I said huge grain of salt.

They've apparently recovered both the FDR and CVR so hopefully some real data will come in soon.

One article mentioned the co-pilot had less than 200 hours of flight time while the pilot had 8,000 hours. It will be interesting to see if inexperience in emergency situations hindered the recovery of the plane.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

priznat posted:

I think the bigger risk is it being an Air Canada flight to SFO HAY-OHHHH

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Jealous Cow posted:

I think the bigger risk is it being an Air Canada flight to SFO HAY-OHHHH

No attempted landings on taxiway! They can have one!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

holocaust bloopers posted:

Something like 82% of witnesses report seeing a plane on fire during mishaps where no visible fire occurred. USAF Flight Safety school spent time discussing how unreliable witness testimony can be.

Now I know this is a thing, but I gotta ask about the details. Are air crashes especially given to that psychological distortion, or are we just that suggestible?

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
All these runways are yours, except Taxiway C. Attempt no landings there!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Nebakenezzer posted:

Now I know this is a thing, but I gotta ask about the details. Are air crashes especially given to that psychological distortion, or are we just that suggestible?

Humans are stupid, basically.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hermsgervørden posted:

Where was this when it was timely enough to be a thread title.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Didn't TWA Flight 800 had multiple people report seeing a SAM?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Hermsgervørden posted:

Holy poo poo :pusheen:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, that's why I said huge grain of salt.

They've apparently recovered both the FDR and CVR so hopefully some real data will come in soon.

One article mentioned the co-pilot had less than 200 hours of flight time while the pilot had 8,000 hours. It will be interesting to see if inexperience in emergency situations hindered the recovery of the plane.

Surely under 200 on type, right?

I mean I'm closing in on 600 hours and I think the appropriate next step is, well, probably not going right seat on a 737. I mean, I could probably handle it but I'd prefer something a wee bit smaller as a transition from Piper Senecas and C172s.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

:barf:

source:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNVUyiHITKk&t=448s

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Fire rich exhaust :eyepop:

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

hobbesmaster posted:

Where was this when it was timely enough to be a thread title.

Yes; including a navy test and terror launched SAM's

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

PT6A posted:

Surely under 200 on type, right?

I mean I'm closing in on 600 hours and I think the appropriate next step is, well, probably not going right seat on a 737. I mean, I could probably handle it but I'd prefer something a wee bit smaller as a transition from Piper Senecas and C172s.

Articles made it sound like 200 total. They mentioned to side by side with the 8k hours the pilot had. Wouldn't it be impossible to have 8,000 hours on a 737 MAX right now?

Source is actually Ethiopian Airlines.

https://www.twitter.com/flyethiopian/status/1104744539686866944

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 11, 2019

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

bull3964 posted:

Articles made it sound like 200 total. They mentioned to side by side with the 8k hours the pilot had. Wouldn't it be impossible to have 8,000 hours on a 737 MAX right now?

Yeah but it’s also the media reporting on aviation so who knows.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bull3964 posted:

The 737 MAX shares type rating with all other 737s - thats the entire point of it. So he could have 8000 hours on type.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

hobbesmaster posted:

The 737 MAX shares type rating with all other 737s - thats the entire point of it. So he could have 8000 hours on type.

Ethiopian Airlines themselves say cumulative. Though, I suppose that's still open to interpretation.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

hobbesmaster posted:

Since I've been binging Youtube air crash videos recently, there's a theory that people saw the flaming fuselage streaking upward (due to the massive CG shift) after the front got blown off and that's what appeared to be a SAM.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1105255969007812609
https://twitter.com/AirlineFlyer/status/1105261628986142720

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

e.pilot posted:

Because the artificial feel wouldn’t feel right if it didn’t, and could lead to possible over controlling.

Undercontrolling doesn't seem to be working out.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

quote:

On Mar 11th 2019 two listeners on frequency reported independently the crew declared emergency shortly after normal departure, while in the initial climb, reporting they had unreliable airspeed indications and had difficulties to control the aircraft. The listeners could not hear later transmissions due to frequency changes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I just bought some plane tickets and I admit I double-checked the airplane type code to make sure that a 738 is not a 7M8

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Oh god, [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNVUyiHITKk&t=558s"]9:18[/url]

gently caress. I'm just going to leave it. 9:18 looks crazy.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

i'm gonna blame the movies

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Eyewitness testimony is pretty poo poo in general. Memory is really malleable.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Wingnut Ninja posted:

after the front got blown off

That’s not very typical, I’d like to make that point.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

bull3964 posted:

Source is actually Ethiopian Airlines.

https://www.twitter.com/flyethiopian/status/1104744539686866944

I’m listening to an NPR interview of a 737 MAX pilot for American and he says that his training for the new planes amounted to “56 minutes on an iPad” which was “basically slides and audios” describing the differences. The interviewer also asks if he would have known what to do had he been the the pilot on the Lion Air flight and he says that he knows now because Boeing apparently didn’t mention the new system in their manuals.

https://overcast.fm/+nmn7rqq0 interview starts about 5 minutes in and lasts until 12 minutes in. The whole interview is full of wtf.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1105466679528689664

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Well then.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

My phone just BLEW UP with alerts on this.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Looks Norwegian Air and Australia have followed suit.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
President Smoothbrain chimed in:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1105468569800839169

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1105471621672960000

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Folks, do not let Albert fly the plane.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

ManifunkDestiny posted:

President Smoothbrain chimed in:

I shouldn't be surprised at this point, but :pseudo:

entity119
May 13, 2003
Memory can change the shape of a room; it can change the color of a car. And memories can be distorted. They're just an interpretation, they're not a record, and they're irrelevant if you have the facts.
And that pilot, was not, Albert Einstein

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/Pages/DCA19MA086.aspx

NTSB says the Atlas 767 went into the ground due to control stick input.