Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I am in need of TV stand recs for the TCL 55”. My current TV is like 42” I think. I am talking about like a stand mount, not a piece of new furniture.

These are the dimensions the stand can work with. Either:

40” W x 11” D (preferable)

or

48” W x 18” D

Those first dimensions are tight but I can find like 2 decent looking universal stand style mounts on Amazon but it seems unclear if they’ll actually fit the TV well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

BonoMan posted:

It's just amazing how commoditized TVs have become. I just dropped by BB for something today and the floor is just filled with rows and rows and rows of TVs. Not the display wall. The actual floor. It's like a drat grocery story for $275 50" 4K TVs. I mean yeah I know those aren't the premiere TVs but still.

I remember being so proud to drop $800 in 2008 for my first HDTV, a 32" Samsung 720p. I'm 99% sure it's this one:

https://www.samsung.com/us/pdf/lnt3242_final.pdf

It's still alive and kicking in my little cousin's room

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

curried lamb of God posted:

I remember being so proud to drop $800 in 2008 for my first HDTV, a 32" Samsung 720p. I'm 99% sure it's this one:

https://www.samsung.com/us/pdf/lnt3242_final.pdf

It's still alive and kicking in my little cousin's room

That's a pretty fun game to play, I just looked up my first HDTV purchase from Amazon, way back in December 2007.

This guy right here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N4Z39G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

$1100, boy that was a lot of dollar bills. Bulb went out twice on that unit and eventually I think the color wheel died or a board went out/something. Long live the ULTRASLIM DLP TV's.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

crestfallen posted:

I am in need of TV stand recs for the TCL 55”. My current TV is like 42” I think. I am talking about like a stand mount, not a piece of new furniture.

These are the dimensions the stand can work with. Either:

40” W x 11” D (preferable)

or

48” W x 18” D

Those first dimensions are tight but I can find like 2 decent looking universal stand style mounts on Amazon but it seems unclear if they’ll actually fit the TV well.

If you turn the legs facing in towards each other, the footprint is approx. 30x11. I'd go with 48x18 to be safe.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Monday_ posted:

If you turn the legs facing in towards each other, the footprint is approx. 30x11. I'd go with 48x18 to be safe.
I never thought to do that. Both points are super useful, thank you.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My first HDTV was one of those JVC CRT things that could take a 1080i input over component. It was pretty cool, although the geometry was absolute gaaaaaarbage on it. And then it died after like 18 months, because JVC.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

EL BROMANCE posted:

My first HDTV was one of those JVC CRT things that could take a 1080i input over component. It was pretty cool, although the geometry was absolute gaaaaaarbage on it. And then it died after like 18 months, because JVC.

Philips 30" crt widescreen in the house

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
By brother's been eyeing an OLED for like 3 years now and I always text him whenever one goes on sale and I texted him the recent B8 deals and we got to talking about how it's gonna drop below 1k pretty soon and I was reminded of my first big TV purchase. I had been eyeballing an XBR34 at Best Buy for months and then one day noticed it had dropped to $999 so I jumped on it and it took 3 guys about 40 minutes just to get up the stairs into the apartment. Thing is still kicking too. Those Sony tube TVs are tanks.

e; My dad had the 40", nonwidescreen version from a bunch of years earlier. I think it was only 480p or something. That thing was even heavier than mine.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
On the TCL 6 Series with the IR Remote... is it possible to upgrade to a RF Remote?

My sound bar blocking the IR receiver is driving me crazy.

On cheaper older models I’ve seen reports of being able to buy an RF Remote and it works.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

American McGay posted:

e; My dad had the 40", nonwidescreen version from a bunch of years earlier. I think it was only 480p or something. That thing was even heavier than mine.

IIRC, that would be the biggest tube tv ever made for consumers... I have a Mitsubishi 37” monitor for retro games and it’s second biggest I think. Thing weighs 280lbs. We’re having movers move it to our new place next week and I specifically told them that they shouldn’t underestimate this thing. It’s gonna suck getting it up stairs.
Mine will do 1280x1024 through RGBHV on the back... it’s only input other than composite/s-video lol

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No idea when they'll be available in a TV and if the US market will see them, but LG let slip recently that they are working on a 48" OLED panel to give more options in the smaller TV size market.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Astro7x posted:

On the TCL 6 Series with the IR Remote... is it possible to upgrade to a RF Remote?

On cheaper older models I’ve seen reports of being able to buy an RF Remote and it works.

I don't know if it would work, but I don't see why it wouldn't either.

Alternatively you could probably use the app, I know I've had to use it when the remote is out of reach and I have a cat in my lap.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't know if it would work, but I don't see why it wouldn't either.

Alternatively you could probably use the app, I know I've had to use it when the remote is out of reach and I have a cat in my lap.

I guess I can try getting one from Amazon and then return it?

I know about the App, but my kid doesn't have a smart device. And it's annoying having to explain that the remote needs to be held at such an angle for it to work.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Astro7x posted:

I've heard that it does when the Best Buy models appear on SlickDeals and Amazon reviews seem to confirm it does.

namlosh posted:

IIRC, that would be the biggest tube tv ever made for consumers... I have a Mitsubishi 37” monitor for retro games and it’s second biggest I think. Thing weighs 280lbs. We’re having movers move it to our new place next week and I specifically told them that they shouldn’t underestimate this thing. It’s gonna suck getting it up stairs.
Mine will do 1280x1024 through RGBHV on the back... it’s only input other than composite/s-video lol

The company I work for had those Mitsubishi monitors in a ton of conference rooms when I started in the mid-2000s. They were an incredible pain to move. We once tried to push one across some carpet and the friction melted the carpet. I wish they could've been given away to retro gamers back then. I'm sure they all ended up in a landfill or worse.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 7, 2019

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
I'm looking at getting a 49" Samsung NU8000 ($550 on Amazon), am I doing well at the price point? I think 50" is as high as I can go in my bedroom without it taking up the bulk of the room (and maybe something closer to 40-45" even). Also any reason to wait until into the Spring for discounts? if I can cut it down by <$50 I can probably wait.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Quick update: I'm loving my LG E8 OLED. Love it, love it, love it. It's like a perfect television, and I felt insanely lucky to get what seems to be a flawless refurbished one for $1,200 on Ebay a month ago. Super strong recommend for that TV model.

I do want to start watching UHD 4k blu-rays, though, and I don't have a player for that. I was looking around at other threads to see if there's a better place to ask about this, and I didn't see one, so I'll ask about it here.

I'm considering two different 4k players: the Xbox One S and the Sony UBP-X700. I can currently get the Xbone S for $220, and it'll probably be at or below $200 very shortly. The Sony is at $160 and it seems like that's close to its historical low. The price difference isn't nothing, but the added benefit of being able to play the new Halo or whatever seems worth that cost. So, price-wise it's a wash for me.

So, what I'm curious about is this: is Sony's dedicated 4k player better? Most importantly, does it have a higher image quality than the Xbone S? Does anyone have insight on that?

Thank you!

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Xbox One doesn't have Dolby Vision for discs afaict.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Do you have any interest in using the Xbone for games? If not, get the dedicated. If yes, get the bone. You will definitively need a media remote too unless you use it more than once in a blue moon.

E: ah yeah I didn’t even take DV into consideration as I don’t have tv support for it. Many discs using it now?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I've heard that it does when the Best Buy models appear on SlickDeals and Amazon reviews seem to confirm it does.

Good to know, thanks for the insight.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I ended up with the LG UBK90 just because the Sony makes you manually toggle Dolby Vision. I've been happy with it. It was down around the $150 mark at Black Friday and has spent a lot of time at $180.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

How likely am I to notice a brightness deficit in the cheaper LG OLEDs coming from a 2010 Panasonica Viera plasma?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Huh? An OLED is going to be several times brighter than any plasma.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

bull3964 posted:

Huh? An OLED is going to be several times brighter than any plasma.

OLEDs being "super dim" is another marketing dig perpetrated by Samsung pushing their QLEDs as a "equal" alternative (similar to their scaremongering about burn in despite OLEDs being orders of magnitude less susceptible than they were even two years ago and especially compared to plasmas) so it's 100% understandable he'd have that question.

In any case, the OLED will be brighter than the plasma, and because of the contrast, viewing angles, and lack of backlight bleed they don't need to be calibrated as bright in order to maintain optimal viewing in brighter rooms or rooms with a lot of secondary light pollution from electronics LEDs or other screens.

I think in my pitch black room I have the OLED light set to a measly 37 or so, when I pull back the curtains I usually only boost it up to 60 or so during the day.

The only area where this might present issue is HDR, but OLED is alright bright enough that Dolby Vision Netflix only allows me a single movie or episode of a TV show before my eyes get exhausted. I have no idea why anyone would want it even brighter.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Sony 55" X900F $849

Also the 65" drops to $1,299 with the code.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I went from an f8500 plasma, ie the brightest plasma that was ever made, to a c7 oled and it loving burned my eyes out of my head.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I have a 2015 OLED which doesn’t have the nit counts that newer ones do, but I’ve definitely had some eye scorching moments.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Thanks for the 4k blu-ray player advice, all! It was really informative.

I saw a deal for Xbone S at $180, and at that price, I'm willing to spend an extra $20 to be able to play a few of the Xbox games I'm interested in. I looked up some of the differences between HDR10 and Dolby Vision, and it didn't seem like enough of a boost (at least for my untrained eyes) to be worth the tradeoff. None of the 4k movies I've bought have Dolby Vision, either, so that was the final nail in the coffin for me.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

55" LG B8 for $1,099 at NeweggFlash: https://flash.newegg.com/Product/9SIAJKJ8JF8704?icid=WP_12_03072019&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction

ufarn
May 30, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Do you have any interest in using the Xbone for games? If not, get the dedicated. If yes, get the bone. You will definitively need a media remote too unless you use it more than once in a blue moon.

E: ah yeah I didn’t even take DV into consideration as I don’t have tv support for it. Many discs using it now?
It’s pretty mainstream, but Disney stopped using it on discs or something iirc. But other than that, it’s pretty popular. Look up some other UHDs you might buy and check for UHD support, and make sure it’s recent movies.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Lionsgate, Paramount, and Warner are the big DV on disc supporters.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Any recommendations on universal remotes? I don't have a lot of devices, but my sound bar blocks the ir receiver on my TV and it's driving me up a loving wall. I'm hoping to get a RF remote.

I've had Harmonies in the past, I just don't know how they handle controlling the on tv apps without buying the $300 Elite one with the touchscreen.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Any recommendations on universal remotes? I don't have a lot of devices, but my sound bar blocks the ir receiver on my TV and it's driving me up a loving wall. I'm hoping to get a RF remote.

I've had Harmonies in the past, I just don't know how they handle controlling the on tv apps without buying the $300 Elite one with the touchscreen.

Harmony smart hub/home hub with the simpler/dumb remote (without a screen). If you need fancy, use the smartphone app, it the little dumb screenless remote is absolutely the best thing ever.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Ultimate Mango posted:

Harmony smart hub/home hub with the simpler/dumb remote (without a screen). If you need fancy, use the smartphone app, it the little dumb screenless remote is absolutely the best thing ever.

This. I can't believe how well the simple remote works and how responsive it is.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

And how long the batteries last.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
The simple RF remote is not backlit though. That was a deal breaker for me.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I don't know, muscle memory takes over after a few days and I've rarely had a misfire on it. I just wish Logitech would get going with a mic enabled remote, I really want Google Assistant built in to the higher end models.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

bull3964 posted:

And how long the batteries last.

I've had mine for nearly 3 years and still on the factory issued battery.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
The harmony hub / smart control are fantastic. Just wish you could connect multiple remotes to the hub at once.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

tk posted:

The harmony hub / smart control are fantastic. Just wish you could connect multiple remotes to the hub at once.

You can! At least if they are different type (not sure about same type.)

I have the Elite and I was able to pair a simple remote to the same hub and have both work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
About to pull the trigger on the TCL 55" r617.

I reallly want the 65" but with Rakuten credit I can get the 55" for $76 shipped and with a second kid on the way I don't think I can really bite the bullet on spending $500. (price minus Rakuten credit).

Any reason to holdoff? Anything new coming down the pike?