Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I learned about that after I had paid someone 40k plat to port me to sky. Also I'm not in a guild so can I even use guild hall?

Oh well I got the dumb sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
How detectable and enforced is working around the truebox rule and using VMs or some other means on the progression servers? Not for an army, just adding a 2nd box. Asking for a friend...

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

gepgepgep posted:

How detectable and enforced is working around the truebox rule and using VMs or some other means on the progression servers? Not for an army, just adding a 2nd box. Asking for a friend...

If you have another physical pc somewhere in the house you can use teamviwer on your local network to control it and aside from being maybe a tiny bit slow on the mouse movement it’s like dual client on one pc. I wouldn’t advertise the fact that I’m doing this in game though. It’s totally legit I think but no reason to give anyone ideas.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

cheesetriangles posted:

I learned about that after I had paid someone 40k plat to port me to sky. Also I'm not in a guild so can I even use guild hall?

Yep you can create your own guild with just you in it and then you get access to the guildhall.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Wanted to see if there were any Mangler folks who would be interested in forming a group on release day and levelling together. I was planning on playing a Monk, but haven't made a final decision yet. If you are interested, just let me know what class you are planning to play and timezone so we can try to coordinate something. I could create a discord channel to make chat easier if there is interest.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Rallos posted:

If you have another physical pc somewhere in the house you can use teamviwer on your local network to control it and aside from being maybe a tiny bit slow on the mouse movement it’s like dual client on one pc. I wouldn’t advertise the fact that I’m doing this in game though. It’s totally legit I think but no reason to give anyone ideas.

Doing this, the game actually doesn't lag, but the display does. So auto following can get wonky. Also mouse looking. I would use multiplicity prob

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006

MrSargent posted:

Wanted to see if there were any Mangler folks who would be interested in forming a group on release day and levelling together. I was planning on playing a Monk, but haven't made a final decision yet. If you are interested, just let me know what class you are planning to play and timezone so we can try to coordinate something. I could create a discord channel to make chat easier if there is interest.

I'm in for this, but was torn between Mangler and Selos. Mangler is now more laid back, right? Bard if so because everyone needs a bard.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Kodilynn posted:

I'm in for this, but was torn between Mangler and Selos. Mangler is now more laid back, right? Bard if so because everyone needs a bard.

Mangler starts with Classic with a new expansion every 3 months. Selos is supposedly twice as fast but starts with Luclin and a new expansion every month.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Kodilynn posted:

Yah I had posted in the thread earlier about playing casually on Selo's and was told that Mangler would probably be the better option. They updated a a few of the really lovely rules that were originally on Mangler to make it more casual-friendly. I wanted to start in Classic anyway so it ended up being a pretty good fit.

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006

house of the dad posted:

Mangler starts with Classic with a new expansion every 3 months. Selos is supposedly twice as fast but starts with Luclin and a new expansion every month.

Oh drat 3 months from classic, eh. Selos would probably be a better fit then, especially with the faster xp.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

What are the prospects for like a druid overnights on servers like Mangler? I can typically only play after 12am or 1am EST, and I'd love to try some nostalgia server, but if I'd basically just be alone why bother.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

That Old Tree posted:

What are the prospects for like a druid overnights on servers like Mangler? I can typically only play after 12am or 1am EST, and I'd love to try some nostalgia server, but if I'd basically just be alone why bother.

Mangler is going to be populated 24/7 and there will be multiple instances of leveling zones (available to cycle through with /pick) open at all times of the day. Lower guk ends up spinning somewhere around 20-30 copies of itself and in the first couple weeks of a TLP there will be plenty of them open at really weird times. You may run into some periods where it isn’t as busy, but you should not worry about any population problems.

Also, midnight EST is just 9pm PST. People like me will just be getting out of work and logging in around then, too.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Cool, thanks!

This may be a dumb question, but spell progression remains like it is on live, right? They don't go back to the weird staggered thing with dead levels on progression servers, do they?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
If you're dead set on grouping with other players and actually being in demand I'd say don't play a druid.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

suuma posted:

If you're dead set on grouping with other players and actually being in demand I'd say don't play a druid.

I mean if being not the absolute best at tank/healer/DPS will see me left out in the cold, I won't get any groups anyway, so whatever. I did bleeding edge raid progression 20 years ago, I don't care to do it again.

Edit: Like, I don't need to group 24/7, but if druids are outright rejected I guess I'll get bored quick enough and quit.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 11, 2019

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

gepgepgep posted:

In my experience the enforcement is non existent. I've seen people very blatantly botting armies of 36 in the open world for month on end. I reported them about 4 times with videos and gently caress all was done about it. I believe their enforcement on TLPs covers training and AFK testing players that appear to be botting. If you're running a bot with a VM and respond to an AFK check it seems like you're safe

You probably need to do some basic config tweaks to be safe, I don't know enough about using it to tell you what exactly matters. Don't keep a ton of krono on any account you're using to circumvent the rules

e: expect much higher enforcement at the start of the server. My run in with mass botters was on Agnarr and Coirnav around five months after launch

Solarin fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 11, 2019

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

That Old Tree posted:

I mean if being not the absolute best at tank/healer/DPS will see me left out in the cold, I won't get any groups anyway, so whatever. I did bleeding edge raid progression 20 years ago, I don't care to do it again.

Edit: Like, I don't need to group 24/7, but if druids are outright rejected I guess I'll get bored quick enough and quit.

They are for sure shunned by groups, except for in zones where animal charming is an option. You can deal with this by forming your own groups, then being extremely social and good at the class to make friends.

The other option is to box an enchanter with your Druid. That will get you invites to groups, or make starting your own extremely easy. Or you can just go solo whatever you want

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

That Old Tree posted:

Cool, thanks!

This may be a dumb question, but spell progression remains like it is on live, right? They don't go back to the weird staggered thing with dead levels on progression servers, do they?

Yeah it’s off the live model. What I do is google ‘eq alla druid spells’ and it is usually the top result. When searching for spells on that site, just be mindful of what Expansion you have selected. Even with the live model for spells, we still get them by expansion.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!

cheesetriangles posted:

Well I got everything I need to get the Fiery Avenger. I have the robe and head, I have soulfire, I have ghoulbane, I have the required faction. Except I can't find anyone to port me to sky even after offering to pay 30,000 plat.

:negative:

uhhhhhh a port to sky cost like 125 plat an npc will straight up port you there for the stone.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=15923

cheesetriangles posted:

LOL

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

MrSargent posted:

Yah I had posted in the thread earlier about playing casually on Selo's and was told that Mangler would probably be the better option. They updated a a few of the really lovely rules that were originally on Mangler to make it more casual-friendly. I wanted to start in Classic anyway so it ended up being a pretty good fit.

I still think Selo will work out okay for casual play. 3 months of classic is an awful long time and I think if you're like my group of friends and only ever play a game for 4-5 months max at a time before moving to something else, you could chew through a lot of non raid content on Selo before you move on to other games.

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
What you guys think about Bard, Shaman, Shadow Knight ? I am gonna play bard, wife SK and friend Shaman. Pretty decent ability to group up just the 3 of us vs join a 6 person group?

Any other 3 person combos that are great?

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
That is probably one of the best three man groups yes.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Doctor Party posted:

What you guys think about Bard, Shaman, Shadow Knight ? I am gonna play bard, wife SK and friend Shaman. Pretty decent ability to group up just the 3 of us vs join a 6 person group?

Any other 3 person combos that are great?

Literally amazing. Also my 3 box combo for selos lol

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Going to be underwhelming as a trio in classic before you get levels and gear. Will be incredibly good once you do though.

Basically you want to long duration charm to have an optimal classic era trio. If you really want to be strong immediately then consider switching bard to enchanter. If you plan to add random people and run with a full group then don't worry about it, your trio is pretty ideal

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Nodelphi posted:

I still think Selo will work out okay for casual play. 3 months of classic is an awful long time and I think if you're like my group of friends and only ever play a game for 4-5 months max at a time before moving to something else, you could chew through a lot of non raid content on Selo before you move on to other games.

One month unlocks just seems way too fast for how much I think I’m going to play. And a big draw for me is getting to experience Classic through PoP again since that was what I played back in the day. I haven’t done a TLP server or P99 before so this would be my first time going back to it.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

That Old Tree posted:

Multi-progression server veteran druid: Be friendly, make friends, always have groups with friends. Druids by themselves aren't hotly preferred for grouping after the first few weeks. Early on, anything with a heal spell is a group healer.

Making friends of people like paladins, monks, warriors always helps because they generally lack snares for running mobs and if things go bad, you can always duo lt blue mobs as long as they're not running away.

Dreaddor
Apr 7, 2006

Nodelphi posted:

I'm in this exact boat... minus the group of friends. :smith: I rarely can stay interested in a game longer than a couple of months before I tire of it. Selo's leveling speed seems like it'll be just enough for me to dick around in some pre-POP era zones while leveling up, which is what I always found most fun. I never was a raider, just don't have the desire for it. I'm in it for the random shenanigans along the way.

Dreaddor fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Mar 12, 2019

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

That Old Tree posted:

I am going to play a Monk on Mangler and would not shun you from groups. Are you planning to play Saturday?

If I had a group of friends to play with, I could see myself going to Selo's. But that isn't the case and so I feel like my progress will be fairly slow. That's why I am desperately trying to recruit people to group with on Mangler this weekend, haha. I am also looking forward to experiencing Classic -> Kunark -> Velious and like that I can take my time exploring them.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 12, 2019

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm looking to do a 48 hour marathon start on Saturday on Mangler anyone want to group up for that?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

cheesetriangles posted:

I'm looking to do a 48 hour marathon start on Saturday on Mangler anyone want to group up for that?

I was planning on playing pretty much all-day Saturday and most of Sunday. I probably can't marathon 48-hours but have the weekend pretty much clear for EQing.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I'm playing a paladin so I'll catch up with you guys sometime in 2020, god willing.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I mean I’ll play for a few hours Saturday and maybe some more Sunday, but drat.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

I’ll be out of town for the whole weekend. I just hope the anniversary exp bonus that we know is coming doesn’t start until next weekend and not this.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Planning on playing a Wizard on Mangler so I can make that sweet port money

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

onesixtwo posted:

I’ll be out of town for the whole weekend. I just hope the anniversary exp bonus that we know is coming doesn’t start until next weekend and not this.

The anniversary bonus xp last year went from 3/16/18 to 3/31/18.

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
I can't play at all Saturday because I am out of town. But I plan to play most of Sunday on mangler.

I'll be a bard with wife as sk and friend a shaman. Not sure how long wife and friend will play. But I'll be around if people want to team up.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
The servers will probably be down all day Saturday anyway :haw:

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

MrSargent posted:

I am going to play a Monk on Mangler and would not shun you from groups. Are you planning to play Saturday?

If I had a group of friends to play with, I could see myself going to Selo's. But that isn't the case and so I feel like my progress will be fairly slow. That's why I am desperately trying to recruit people to group with on Mangler this weekend, haha. I am also looking forward to experiencing Classic -> Kunark -> Velious and like that I can take my time exploring them.

Thanks! Unfortunately I picked up some overtime this weekend (and every subsequent weekend for the rest of this month), and a lot of my free time on the weekends is taken up with family stuff, though typically I still have some playtime after midnights.

Is there going to be a goon channel or anything?

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
Anyone happen to know of a loot council guild on Mangler? I'd love the slower pace, but don't really feel like playing a point farming sim for gear upgrades. Still can't decide if I'm over the classic TLP or would like to do it all again...which is where Selo has some allure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

That Old Tree posted:

Thanks! Unfortunately I picked up some overtime this weekend (and every subsequent weekend for the rest of this month), and a lot of my free time on the weekends is taken up with family stuff, though typically I still have some playtime after midnights.

Is there going to be a goon channel or anything?

I just created a Discord Server if people want to join. Made it general “EQ TLP Goons” and added a separate channel for mangler and selo’s. Link to the server is below:

https://discord.gg/6XGeKcj

It’s been a while since I set one up so let me know if I need to make changes.