Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I feel like I'm going crazy but I thought there was a Pokemon theme park. They had a contest when Pokemon Emerald would release, the grand prize for which was a trip to Tokyo and what I assumed to be a Pokemon theme park. I forget what it was called. Might have just been the Pokemon Center, for all I know.

Maybe I am just crazy. Or maybe it's because it's such an obvious thing that should exists that my brain rejects the possibility that it's not already a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

quote:

Pokémon The Park 2005 or PokéPark (ポケパーク PokePāku) was a traveling Japanese theme park based on the Pokémon franchise. ... The theme park featured twelve Pokémon-themed attractions, and was open between March 18, 2005, and September 25, 2005, in Japan, and from June 23, 2006, to September 24, 2006, in Taiwan.

Does this count?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I wish there was Porygon-related merch. drat you Pikachu and your seizures sullying my little duck's good name :mad:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Avalerion posted:

quote:

Pokémon The Park 2005 or PokéPark (ポケパーク PokePāku) was a traveling Japanese theme park based on the Pokémon franchise. ... The theme park featured twelve Pokémon-themed attractions, and was open between March 18, 2005, and September 25, 2005, in Japan, and from June 23, 2006, to September 24, 2006, in Taiwan.
Does this count?

HOLY poo poo, yes! That must have been the one! The timeframe is correct. I never knew it wasn't a permanent thing.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i was going to use sobble but then i realized the rabbit is a brit child who probably teaches the others how to run and jump so now i’m going to name it harey gomm

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Vandar posted:

That would be Bogleech.

http://www.bogleech.com/pokemon/parchive.html

His stuff is really good. He even reviewed the Pokemon from the Gold/Silver beta that leaked out recently!

Yeah, Bogleech is a cool dude who writes lots of cool stuff. However, some of his Pokemon reviews are objectively wrong :colbert: Lilligant deserved a higher rating.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Really wanna switch out my Araquanid for a Toxapex for my water type because half my gen 7 team is bug types and I don't really have an answer to fairies but man, I just love that weird fuckin Araquanid design. Whycome all gen 7's best pokeymans is bugs :mad:

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I like the huge wall that wraps around the Pokemon Center in Sunshine that has them all on it if you don't take a pic pointing at your fave then I just don't know

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

absolutely anything posted:

[busting thru the door of the game freak office] listen here you stupid pieces of poo poo, what the gently caress are you even doing. your big store doesn't have 807 different varieties of toy or a special prize for going inside the big store. i brought my game boy and told the cashier to put a mew on it and it was like i was speaking a different language. and then come to find out you dont have a goddamn pikachu roller coaster? you're all a bunch of clowns [swatting everything off the receptionist's desk] get out of here, let me do this.

The funniest part about about that weird rear end dude is you can find ordinary Pokemon plushies online everywhere or at like Target or Walmart, so I don't even get what he was going for. Like, why would you even want anything but special limited edition stuff from a Pokemon Center? Lmao. :allears:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
the piling on is getting a bit much, I think the poster got the message by now

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeah, Bogleech is a cool dude who writes lots of cool stuff. However, some of his Pokemon reviews are objectively wrong :colbert: Lilligant deserved a higher rating.

They're personal reviews, not objective analyses.

Bogleech does get at least one thing objectively right: Lucario is trash.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Solumin posted:

They're personal reviews, not objective analyses.

Bogleech does get at least one thing objectively right: Lucario is trash.

Also that Gen II is mostly boring garbage.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I’ll make sure to tell the confused Japanese attendant in Sunshine City Pokémon Center what trash their store is and how they’re mismanaging their brand, all in very fast English, while they look on befuddled when I visit this year. lmao

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

drat you nailed him lmao

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

He dumped on some of my favorites too but I do understand Bog has his own personal preferences when it comes to these things and he's pretty upfront about it. He did however make me uncomfortably aware of what a nightmare Lucario's mouth situation is.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Flopsy posted:

He dumped on some of my favorites too but I do understand Bog has his own personal preferences when it comes to these things and he's pretty upfront about it. He did however make me uncomfortably aware of what a nightmare Lucario's mouth situation is.

Yeah, I know, I was just being hyperbolically upset for comedic purposes.

I do love Lilligant very much though.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Currently reading through the BogLeech posts.

I love that as of Gen 3 he hadn't written Gen 7 yet since he predicted or asked for several gen 7 designs. I hope he felt affirmed :)

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Yeah, I know, I was just being hyperbolically upset for comedic purposes.

I do love Lilligant very much though.

Well she's a classy lil' lady. :3: Roserade is my buddy tho.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Zuzie posted:

And people were apprehensive about Sun and Moon's artstyle...

Griping's since moved on to the absolute butchering of characterization, pacing, and (laughably) story

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Zuzie posted:

And people were apprehensive about Sun and Moon's artstyle...

Not sure why anyone ever was. Pokemon has always been at its best when the animators are allowed to embrace the franchise's cartoony style over some kind of hybrid semi-realistic character/creature design from XY etc that doesn't work nearly as well imo. Sun/Moon anime especially works because the silly character designs allow the animation to be much looser and more expressive to hilarious effect. Like the Rowlet or Mimikyu stuff or Ash getting regularly attacked by monsters in hyper frenetic silly rear end situations. SM anime owns.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Waffles Inc. posted:

I like the huge wall that wraps around the Pokemon Center in Sunshine that has them all on it if you don't take a pic pointing at your fave then I just don't know
I got a picture of that wall I went to Japan two years ago because unsurprisingly there was no merch of my boy Shedinja.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

InspectorCarbonara posted:

I got a picture of that wall I went to Japan two years ago because unsurprisingly there was no merch of my boy Shedinja.

friend you have insanely good taste in favorite pokemon

the block boxes are hiding everything but my finger but if you could see it my expression is one of joy

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Flopsy posted:

Everyone has their own favorite pokemon Aesthetics and typings and Bog is pretty clear about his love for more horrifying or simplistic (but not animal+element) forms as well as the Poison type.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

it's cool that garbodor is made up of the opinions of people who like him. very meta

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
garbodor is my second favorite pokemon you BITCH

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Bleck posted:

garbodor is my second favorite pokemon you BITCH

I see oddium has besmirched your honor. Now you must battle.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

can't believe people still exist who hate the trubbish line

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Some people will always dump on "object" Pokémon. Doesn't matter that they've been in the series since the very beginning, if they have interesting gameplay uses, or if they're creatively designed.

They'll never be my favorite, but I appreciate them and think they fit in just fine. (It's great that Pokémon has its own "mimic" monster in the form of a Poké ball!)

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Mizuti posted:

It's great that Pokémon has its own "mimic" monster in the form of a Poké ball!

Yeah, they're lovely.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Mizuti posted:

Some people will always dump on "object" Pokémon. Doesn't matter that they've been in the series since the very beginning, if they have interesting gameplay uses, or if they're creatively designed.

They'll never be my favorite, but I appreciate them and think they fit in just fine. (It's great that Pokémon has its own "mimic" monster in the form of a Poké ball!)

im looking at the ones that are more or less "just a thing" and a lot of them are insanely good. chingling, litwick, cryogonal, xurkitree.....

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

oddium posted:

im looking at the ones that are more or less "just a thing" and a lot of them are insanely good. chingling, litwick, cryogonal, xurkitree.....

you're correct on two out of four.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
if I went to the giant M&M store in Times Square I’d expect them to have every flavor and color of M&M.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
I feel like S/M are full of cutscenes and I'm constantly being told what to do and goddamnit just let me do something on my own game.

Are all the last few Gens like this?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mr. Nemo posted:

I feel like S/M are full of cutscenes and I'm constantly being told what to do and goddamnit just let me do something on my own game.

Are all the last few Gens like this?

Gen 6 and 7 were awful for this. Let's Go was such a breath of fresh air for just letting me play my drat game.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Lately, I've been wanting to get into Battle Tree, and maybe eventually competitive battling, and I'm at an intermediate level of understanding, and am not sure where to go from here. I understand Natures/IV's/EV's, and how to breed them onto a Pokemon when applicable, but I'm not aware of what constitutes a good battling team. Like, I've read that Sassy Celesteela and Jolly Kartana are good for Battle Tree, but I'm not sure what I would do with them, and I'm confused when I see words like "Sweeper" or "STAB".

Where's the best place to go from here? I'd like to know how to make a good team, and the mechanics of why.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

a sweeper is something fast and strong with good type coverage to quickly sweep through the enemy's team. STAB is Same Type Attack Bonus, which just means attacks that are of the pokemon's type are more powerful

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

STAB means "Same Type Attack Bonus." You may remember noticing or being told in-game that when a pokemon uses an attack that is the same type as (either of) its own, it does 50% more damage than if the attack were of a different (but equally effective) type. Most pokemon should have an attack that they get STAB with, because much of the time the bonus will make it their strongest attacking move.

The most-used English-language resource for serious battling is the references and community at Smogon. Be critical, however, as a lot of the analysis on that site pertains to the particular set of house rules that they use when playing on the unofficial battle simulator Pokemon Showdown, and a lot of the advice given is very specific to the metagame that has arisen from that format.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Catalina posted:

Lately, I've been wanting to get into Battle Tree, and maybe eventually competitive battling, and I'm at an intermediate level of understanding, and am not sure where to go from here. I understand Natures/IV's/EV's, and how to breed them onto a Pokemon when applicable, but I'm not aware of what constitutes a good battling team. Like, I've read that Sassy Celesteela and Jolly Kartana are good for Battle Tree, but I'm not sure what I would do with them, and I'm confused when I see words like "Sweeper" or "STAB".

Where's the best place to go from here? I'd like to know how to make a good team, and the mechanics of why.

For Battle Tree teams, check this page. To get an idea about best moves, EV spreads, and natures for either singles or doubles, check the Smogon Analysis pages for whatever mons and battle formats you need to use (the example linked is for Naganadel, but you can search for any other mon easily). Anything else, ask here.

I also remember more or less what teams I specifically used in the different Battle Trees when I went through them last year. Let me know if you want details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I read something - here? - about someone borrowing a friend's 3DS to play a Pokemon game and running into an issue where it wanted to permanently bind his game cart info to the system hardware or some such roadblock. I don't remember it perfectly because I didn't really understand what the person was talking about, but now I'm in a similar situation, borrowing a 3DS to play OR and X. Is there anything I should know about this or will everything run smooth as can be? Perhaps I need to buy an independent SD card?