Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

RandomPauI posted:

1) I generally quit before day 50 because.
2) I know that there are things I need to do, but not the order or the mechanics and I quickly get overwhelmed. So I'll try to pick up what I can and sometimes the instructions take and sometimes they don't. So I guess
3) I would like a simple tutorial, like games used to have before things shifted over to "figure it out for yourself!"

This guide is a little out of date, but it's good for the basics of getting a base up and running. The key is to understand why things are built they way they are instead of just copying designs.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1359110726

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007

Firos posted:

Apart from crude oil refining, what are the best applications for thermium?

I don't know about best but I liked to use them in places that were too hot for steel such as around volcanoes.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
I guess wheezeworts are natural gas compressors. I built an oxygen plant from a modified spom design (3 stacked, generator removed to power plant, and the part that matters is that 4 pairs of wheezeworts run up the side).

I pumped in hydrogen from an existing source thinking it would get to, what, 1.8kg/tile pressure? And ended up with 6kg at the bottom of the stack and 20kg at the top.

No liquid blocking the vent, regular vent. I assume higher pressure will give me greater cooling potential.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
If it’s a narrow stack, wheezeworts pull in gas from the bottom and expel out the top. Along with that hydrogen still tends to naturally collect in higher density on the top of a space when the gasses are moving, like in wheezewort rooms. So long as the area in front of the vent is pulled below 2k pressure it will continue to work, so the whole thing does make sense working that way.

There’s some formula to how much gas wheezes can cool, don’t remember offhand.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 11, 2019

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
I'm just not sure how the gas in front of the vent got to 6k, unless it somehow collapsed back. I knew they moved air up, but wasn't expecting it to compound like that.

I'm not sure if there's any practical consequence to it.

Edit: ahh I see now there was a square of oxygen mixed in there that must have periodically moved in front of the vent, same as the liquid trick. Weird consequences of the gasses not mixing.

Adenoid Dan fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 11, 2019

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

Demon_Corsair posted:

The key is to understand why things are built they way they are instead of just copying designs.

That's how I approach this game, which makes for slower progress but (in my view) more fun because I'm addressing problems as they happen. Currently I breeze past SPOM discussions because I want to solve that problem, when it comes up, organically -- even if my solution is sub-optimal. Maybe a day will come when I've mastered oxygen and I'll plop down a generic system so I can focus on later problems, but that isn't a level I've reached yet and I don't feel rushed to get there.

The fact that you get 100% materials back on deconstruct encourages me to play around and disassemble and put stuff in provisionally knowing I can tweak it later.

Generally my first mid-term goal is "establish working toilets". I feel that's a good checkpoint because to do that, I need to have most of the basics in place: plumbing, electricity, reservoirs for fresh and polluted water, the research to build all that, and enough dupes to make it worthwhile. Next checkpoints are, in no particular order: refrigerators (aka the point where food ceases to be a issue), air fresheners (aka the point where you can safely breach neighboring biomes), and insulation. And generally by that point, my base is taking shape and it's all hands on deck to address the problems arising in a base that size, such as algae supply, overextended circuits and what to do with all the poop water. Never a dull moment, really.

The checkpoint I'm striving for now is oil and plastics, which is new ground for me and I'm addressing the challenges as they appear. Maybe not in the most elegant way, but there'll be time to fix that later.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Don't mind me, just casually browsing ToolsNotIncluded dot net

Not pictured: Cool Slush Geyser #4

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Mierenneuker posted:

Don't mind me, just casually browsing ToolsNotIncluded dot net

Not pictured: Cool Slush Geyser #4

12 kg/s water in the form of cold p.water or cool steam, 200 g/s natgas, and 1.2 kg/s gold. Promised land discovered.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Three gold volcanoes? I don't know what the crap to do with the output of one gold volcano on my current map. It already sits in a pile of polluted water de-germifying it for me for free.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah I see the midgame as the point when you've achieved stability, but not sustainability. You can basically achieve everything I'd consider "early game" without leaving the starting biome.

Yeah, that's what I consider midgame. You've gotten past potential starvation, asphyxiation, have basic necessities like water reserves and plumbing, have researched quite a bit of the lower of the early game, and you're automating a bit such as smart battery setups, breaking into dangerous biomes, or starting to explore with exo suits.

In my typical games, I usually build SPOMS around cycle 80-150 depending on how quickly I find wheezeworts, or if I need to I build a cooling room if I don't get lucky. I also buck traditional mushroom farming by building a /\-shaped bristle blossom farm early, then typically hunt for ice/cold biomes so I can supplement my water reserves + cool it down if I tap into a water geyser.

By cycle 200 I typically have a large generator design built. This game I'm going to try building more 'green' energy by harnessing solar panels but we'll see. I also totally hosed up my power automation and need to fix it, and longer term I want to set up an efficient cooling loop for hot water. Once I have a stable food supply, infinite oxygen thanks to my SPOM's, chilled liquids and abundant energy, the sky's the limit.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

User0015 posted:

a /\-shaped bristle blossom farm

What does this look like in game?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
A mess, generally. I can understand why some people do it, but a ceiling light only draws 5W.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

A mess, generally. I can understand why some people do it, but a ceiling light only draws 5W.

It's more that you can fit everything inside it, so it's modular. You can pick up (almost?) every spot with transports, and the greenhouse building can sit in a corner. Since it's square, you can also easily insulate that precious berry farm and stamp them out as needed. Each light holds, I think, 14 berry tiles.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Mid game is processing oil, I think. Pretty good indicator.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I am a big fan of https://toolsnotincluded.net/seeds/1253971563/309851

You start right beside a cool slush, 2 natural gas, a hydrogen, and 2 cool steam vents.

However there is a vending machine room right by by the cool slush vent that fucks really hard with my base building OCD, since parts of it cannot be deconstructed.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Demon_Corsair posted:

I am a big fan of https://toolsnotincluded.net/seeds/1253971563/309851

You start right beside a cool slush, 2 natural gas, a hydrogen, and 2 cool steam vents.

However there is a vending machine room right by by the cool slush vent that fucks really hard with my base building OCD, since parts of it cannot be deconstructed.

can't you despawn stuff in debug mode?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
you can turn sandbox on in the esc menu now too, and it has a destroy tool like debug

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

User0015 posted:

It's more that you can fit everything inside it, so it's modular. You can pick up (almost?) every spot with transports, and the greenhouse building can sit in a corner. Since it's square, you can also easily insulate that precious berry farm and stamp them out as needed. Each light holds, I think, 14 berry tiles.
You’re talking about something like this, right?

https://medium.com/schematics-not-included/single-ceiling-light-bristle-berry-farm-93c00f4e7177

So other than saving a couple of lights (which I get is important to some) and some piping, what’s the benefits of that over just a long rectangle that uses a similar volume, which is also modular, insulateable, etc? I feel like I may be missing something.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Mar 12, 2019

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Nice.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
I always end up having issues managing electricity and start getting wires burning out around the same time I'm scrambling to keep my whole base from roasting to death. Cold biomes are always too goddamn far.

It's weird how you're always figuring heat. There are ways to warm stuff up but it doesn't seem nearly as critical as cooling things down.

At least in Rimworld you can choose to start in colder biomes where staying warm becomes important.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

You’re talking about something like this, right?

https://medium.com/schematics-not-included/single-ceiling-light-bristle-berry-farm-93c00f4e7177

So other than saving a couple of lights (which I get is important to some) and some piping, what’s the benefits of that over just a long rectangle that uses a similar volume, which is also modular, insulateable, etc? I feel like I may be missing something.

It's just like the write up says. It's not like it's a massive improvement, it's just a slightly more efficient design to me. I also wire up transports to feed the station and carry away harvests.

Even if you build it like the first way, sink your lamps a tile so they extend an extra tile.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
It’s worth mentioning that past a certain point building for astethics or efficiency becomes a thing a lot moreso, simply because you have kind of figured everything else out. Rocketry is the end game so to speak but a lot of people just kind of work out new and more efficient ways to do things instead. There’s not really a specific reasoning for that kind of stuff other than “I want to” but that’s all that’s really needed.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Solar panels in space and heat. I do not understand it. It is like they are immune to heat, such as space debris falling on them? But every now and then one will overheat dramatically and I don't know why. I also thought they would heat up as they operate, but they just stay the exact same temperature all the time.

And then, if a building overheats in space, I can seem to do nothing to cool it down and I just end up dismantling and rebuilding it. I tried cooling the tiles it is connected to. I tried putting radiant pipes behind it. It seems like a broken building doesn't allow transfer of heat at all. So if I do repair it, it just has the same heat that broke it and dies again.

I don't know. I am just really confused by all of this.

The fish feeders say they 'drop food into the water below', but it seems like they hold on to food and so the little arm has to be in the water?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I am no expert at space, but it seems you are pretty much need a system of bunker doors, space scanners and robo-miners. And mesh tiles because they let through light, catch debris and don’t heat up in a vacuum. I never needed cooling for the sun panel by keeping them safe from debris, I only needed cooling for the robo-miners. And for those I copied some sort of trick involving removing pieces of radiant pipe while coolant was running through them, so that a puddle would stay behind on airflow tiles (and then rebuilding that radiant pipe). That puddle essentially formed the glue that would make the cooling solution work (radiant pipe with cooled petroleum + tempshift plate) and without it there would just be the vacuum of space doing nothing.

And yes, the bottom part of the feeder needs to be in water. It might take a while before the fishes notice, at which point they’ll stick to the feeder like a magnet.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 15, 2019

insta
Jan 28, 2009
I used diamond window tiles above my solar panels, and run petroleum through them. I then siphon all that heat off as a paltry amount of power using the steam turbine.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Fun problem: I built my power plant around a second aetn and the result is my power generators are at -120 Celsius. Which means they output solid co2. Whoops, but harmless.

I shouldn't have trouble cooling things down, but my goal to use cold petroleum isn't working because the energy needs is greater than cooling rate. Not real sure how to solve this one. Heat management is a tricky beast.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

User0015 posted:

Fun problem: I built my power plant around a second aetn and the result is my power generators are at -120 Celsius. Which means they output solid co2. Whoops, but harmless.

I shouldn't have trouble cooling things down, but my goal to use cold petroleum isn't working because the energy needs is greater than cooling rate. Not real sure how to solve this one. Heat management is a tricky beast.

A couple ideas if you didn’t have them already are putting doors under the AETN, you can disable it by automating them open. That or a shutoff valve that directs the hydrogen away from the AETN. Both options work from temperature sensors on the pipe or in the room. That or just valve close the hydrogen line to stop it completely. Any of those should let you at least keep the temperature of falling so low to freeze the CO2

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I have not had my solar panels change one degree from the construction temperature. Someone earlier posted a setup of bunker doors and under them airflow tiles with regolith muncher doors on an automation loop. Asteroids hit the bunker doors, when it's over regolith gets munched, nothing touches anything else. Haven't had overheating problems in space since then though I think I'm about to with the first launch of a petroleum rocket.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
I think my biggest block in the game is actually dealing with regolith. I can do complex things like boil crude oil into petroleum, bake fertilizer into dirt, auto-ranch pacu with no duplicant intervention or resources, or use the steam turbine. Mulching the regolith though, I kinda just never want to deal with it.

I should probably just come up with a setup in sandbox and run with that.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Do buildings not transfer heat unless they are in atmosphere/liquid? I thought they would transfer to the tile they are on, or to temp shift plates. I want to cool my space robominers.

Why the hell do dupes path through the atmos checkpoints in a rocket suit and the reverse? It seems I cannot do a setup where they can choose to take out flying suits when they are required or even not required. They will drop the suit off at the regular checkpoint and I have to manually tell it to put the suit back. Is the only thing you can reasonably do is make 'flight-zone' and 'suit-zone' and such?

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Mar 16, 2019

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Here is the video I copied when I got to surface and really wanted to start launching rockets. At 11:00 he explains using a puddle as a medium to cool the robo-miners with a drywall/tempshift plate to stop the fluid being sucked up by space. Later on you can also see the battery farms powered by the solar panels. Boxes with drywall to keep in the hydrogen that is preventing the smart batteries and transformers from overheating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEzmFeLfXuY

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Mierenneuker posted:

Here is the video I copied when I got to surface and really wanted to start launching rockets. At 11:00 he explains using a puddle as a medium to cool the robo-miners with a drywall/tempshift plate to stop the fluid being sucked up by space. Later on you can also see the battery farms powered by the solar panels. Boxes with drywall to keep in the hydrogen that is preventing the smart batteries and transformers from overheating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEzmFeLfXuY

Yeah, I eventually stumbled into this stuff. I can't believe this is intended mechanics, so I hope to see it changed in future.

Just overall, the rocketry stuff is not rewarding mechanics.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Hey, where do you think a new player should start, with survival mode or no sweat mode?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Survival, to avoid engraining bad habits. Maybe go Into custom game settings and nudge some settings, but keep the bad stuff on.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
What I still continue to do is to turn off stress reactions in survival mode. Though early on it takes a little practice to get the hang of not starving to death. Most people will also point out that there's no shame in restarting often in the hopes of getting an easier map seed or learning from past mistakes.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Riatsala posted:

Hey, where do you think a new player should start, with survival mode or no sweat mode?

Survival mode for sure. Failure is a key mechanic of the game and the best way to learn.

Reading and watching as much as you can is also a great idea. This thread has taught me so many little tricks I wouldn't have learned otherwise.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Thanks, guys. I got my first colony up and running and I'm up to 5 dupes/9th cycle so far. Got actual plumbing, and I'm starting to grow meal worm plants, but I only have 4.

Thus far my biggest hurdles have been people making GBS threads everywhere because my singular outhouse kept getting clogged and keeping up with food production. Someone's poo poo got into the clean water supply - I hope that doesn't contaminate the whole thing.

I feel like I never have time to research. Keeping food/oxygen production going is a full time job for 2-3 dupes and that doesn't leave much for digging/constructing/making GBS threads. I'm hoping that my dupes go to the bathroom all the time because they're eating mush bars and that farming meal plants will help; it's seriously digging into my productivity.

I'm debating whether to ride this one out or start over, since I think I can place a lot of things more efficiently, like bathrooms close to water sources and separate, closed circuits for different utilities.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
That's a lot of dupes so early on. I tend to err on the side of caution to avoid running out of food. And building 2 outhouses will help out too. Be sure to set priority to 9 to clean outhouses, because the process is slow.

Having one dupe good at research helps save time, and you can always adjust priorities so they do the most essential tasks first.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Riatsala posted:

Thanks, guys. I got my first colony up and running and I'm up to 5 dupes/9th cycle so far. Got actual plumbing, and I'm starting to grow meal worm plants, but I only have 4.

The cracked tiles hold items like seeds or muckroots, or sometimes critters (hatches). If you need food or crop seeds, you can have your miner go digging for them. Eat the muckroots, kill the hatches and eat them (or at least keep them away from the platform with your printing pod), and plant the mealwood seeds. You need about 4 mealwood plants per dupe to keep them fed with liceloaf, but you may want to have them eat uncooked meal lice (5-6 plants/dupe) for a bit until you get the food poisoning germs out of your water supply.

Creating more shifts and spreading your dupes out across them will reduce the number of outhouses/wash basins you need to have available at once and more evenly distribute your food consumption rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Both types of musher food use a lot of water, IIRC 75kg per item. If you aren’t sure about your long term water, mushers are not a good food source period. They eat up dupe time cooking as well, for an extremely minor food quality increase. Between a musher and heavy research you can pretty easily blow through the early available clean water you have if you don’t have the next systems planned out.

I’ve always recommended planting 5-6 mealwood per dupe, more initially to get a small surplus of food in storage. Harvesting them will slowly get you more seeds, so it’ll fix it self in a few harvests if you didn’t find many. Transition off to better plants ASAP once you know you can. Just have them eat the raw mealwood, it really isn’t a problem till you run through your available dirt. Get morale from room assignments, plants, etc and then better food types later.

Adding new dupes to a colony should be very controlled, their additional needs can spiral you out of sustainability fast. Stay with =<5 early on IMO, that lets you keep it to ~25 mealwood and one algae oxidizer.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 17, 2019