Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I like the design of Kylo’s helmet but I love the character moment of him being so embarrassed he smashes it and it honestly makes me pretty upset that JJ is rumored to be reversing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ah yes, who could forget the French New Wave classic "The Unbreakable Village of Signs."

That's just an Eco essay

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Coffee And Pie posted:

I’m gonna watch Breathless tonight I think...subs or dubs?

Subs. That's going to be true for all of the French New wave.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Have you thought about growing out of playing with toys?

Is posing the same thing as playing though?

I knew a couple shooters who made bank shooting for Mattel. If you love toys and photography, and it leads to a paying gig, then more power to you.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Pirate Jet posted:

I like the design of Kylo’s helmet but I love the character moment of him being so embarrassed he smashes it and it honestly makes me pretty upset that JJ is rumored to be reversing that.

Given that they're still letting Rian Johnson mastermind the next trilogy, I wouldn't put stock in any rumours that seem to be attempts to walk back any part of The Last Jedi.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/jeffreygoldbIum...reate-dinosaurs

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Death By The Blues posted:

Also, has anyone here seen Prime Cut? It is a bizarre mashup of Peckinpah, 70s Independent Cinema, and Hitchcock with Lee Marvin, Gene Hackman, and Sissy Spacek. Half an hour in and it rules.

Yes, Prime Cut is sleazy as hell and kinda made me want a shower but it’s pretty rad and Gene Hackman is excellent

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Extremely important information for my chicken eating Robocop loving friendos
https://twitter.com/zeroasalimit/status/1104966981931851777?s=21

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
This is a travesty!

But lmao so fitting given the movie.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I can't wait til Wendy's buys the right to Total Recall.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

ruddiger posted:

I can't wait til Wendy's buys the right to Total Recall.

"See you at the party, Richter!"

*throws two Baconators off the elevator platform*

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

The problem with dystopian sci-fi is too many people treat it like a blueprint instead of a warning.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Skwirl posted:

Given that they're still letting Rian Johnson mastermind the next trilogy, I wouldn't put stock in any rumours that seem to be attempts to walk back any part of The Last Jedi.

It’s true. There’s pictures

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Coffee And Pie posted:

What’s some good French New Wave stuff? I’ve got Breathless and Shoot the Piano Player on my list but there’s kind of a lot to look at

Cleo From 5 to 7 is my favourite.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

On topic:

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Hiroshima Mon Amour was what got me into Arthouse cinema. So watch thattt.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I'm not sure I'm ready for the future.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I thought Arby's mascot was that terrifying glove-creature? Though maybe now it's simply "The Meat".

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I’m gonna draw Arby’s Waifu pissing on Mayor McCheese and none of you COWARDS can stop me

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

this is one of the seven seals right

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I guess becoming the pro-pedophile fast food chain is going after an unfilled niche, but that doesn't make it a good idea

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Also, let’s be real; Ray Charles is and always will be the one true Arby’s Waifu.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Coffee And Pie posted:

I'm probably way off base here but I want to believe this is a reference to this Korean commercial from a long rear end time ago. At least that it's what the weirdy who pitched it was thinking about at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pOoSe2K5DU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Have you thought about growing out of playing with toys?

Every child knows that play is nobler than work.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Budgie Jumping posted:

I'm probably way off base here but I want to believe this is a reference to this Korean commercial from a long rear end time ago. At least that it's what the weirdy who pitched it was thinking about at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pOoSe2K5DU

Tag yourself I’m “yo I’m about to eat”

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

taco bell should buy demolition man

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
2018 catch-up status report: The Oath is legit

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

banned from Starbucks posted:

taco bell should buy demolition man

https://www.tacobell.com/demolition-man

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/RMcElhenney/status/1105220393835454464?s=19

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm listening to Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds for the first time and this feels like it would have been revelatory if I had heard it years earlier.

Follow it up with the remix album, which retells events from the Martian perspective via embarrassing 90s techno.

I loving love the Jeff Wayne album.

What I don’t love, though, is any of that true crime stuff. I know there are a lot of fans here, but it’s honestly just one step removed from, like, putting mentally ill people on TV for alien abduction ‘documentaries’.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Yo SMG, have you seen The Wandering Earth?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

K. Waste posted:

Yo SMG, have you seen The Wandering Earth?

It’s on the viewing list; I’m getting desperate for some new sci-fi without superheroes in it.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Tag yourself I’m “yo I’m about to eat”

I'm "what the hell fried chicken"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Captain Marvel's pretty good, don't understand why people are calling it cookie cutter Marvel considering how much of the formula it breaks. Like the last battle isn't between Captain Marvel and Evil Bigger Captain Marvel, an annoying trope even Black Panther suffered from. There isn't a generic origin story in the first act, the character progression isn't trying to do Iron Man again. Sure, there's still quips and the fights aren't the best choreographed, but it's got more personality than like, Ant-man.

Oh and there's really not nearly enough air force stuff to call the movie propaganda. The USAF is mostly portrayed as a bunch of dicks except for 2 of the main character's friends and there's barely any time spent on her as a pilot. They shoved all that stuff in the marketing.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Eh, quality-wise it's still some basic, mid-level MCU. Like, structurally it kinda breaks from it but that doesn't make it good. I wouldn't call it cookie cutter MCU, but it's definitely from the same crappy bakery.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
regardless of how much is in the movie, it is 100% true that the USAF supports such films as a propaganda effort

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Captain Marvel's pretty good, don't understand why people are calling it cookie cutter Marvel considering how much of the formula it breaks. Like the last battle isn't between Captain Marvel and Evil Bigger Captain Marvel, an annoying trope even Black Panther suffered from. There isn't a generic origin story in the first act, the character progression isn't trying to do Iron Man again. Sure, there's still quips and the fights aren't the best choreographed, but it's got more personality than like, Ant-man.

Oh and there's really not nearly enough air force stuff to call the movie propaganda. The USAF is mostly portrayed as a bunch of dicks except for 2 of the main character's friends and there's barely any time spent on her as a pilot. They shoved all that stuff in the marketing.

I have a feeling the military sexism portrayed in the movie is kinda like a Green Book thing where they go "yes it was bad in the past but we have solved racism/sexism already in modern times".

Still, I have to give it credit for defying comic book lore a bit to portray war refugees as sympathetic. Kevin Feige might ruin that by making that supposed Secret Invasion storyline a reality though.

I have to be honest, I wasn't planning to watch Captain Marvel but angry nerds complaining about it makes me want to. Especially if Carol will indeed be the hero in End Game. Which I'm probably not watching.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 12, 2019

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The MSJ posted:

I have a feeling the military sexism portrayed in the movie is kinda like a Green Book thing where they go "yes it was bad in the past but we have solved racism/sexism already in modern times".

Still, I have to give it credit for defying comic book lore a bit to portray war refugees as sympathetic. Kevin Feige might ruin that by making that supposed Secret Invasion storyline a reality though.

I have to be honest, I wasn't planning to watch Captain Marvel but angry nerds complaining about it makes me want to. Especially if Carol will indeed be the hero in End Game. Which I'm probably not watching.

I suspect the ace in hole that wins the day will be the Silver Surfer, but that's partly because I love the Surfer (and he's tied to Thanos)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The MSJ posted:

I thought Duncan Macleod was the hero in Endgame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Oh right - I forgot to mention this earlier, but everyone should check out the 2017 Lithuanian film Senigré (AKA The Ancient Woods) if you want to see the best film of the last five or so years.