Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

nerox posted:

What's the best place to roll missions for Omni?

Does clicksaver still work? I need to make some money for some newbie implants today and maybe finish leveling to 20 and getting an ofab SMG.

I prefer Rome Blue, but I have no empirical evidence to support that Rome is better than Omni-1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
I use ICC myself cause it's easy to get everywhere.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
As long as there's some distance so you get 8k per mission instead of 3 you're good

Whitefire
Oct 9, 2007

DEE DEEEEE
Goon org/channel/discord would be nice. There's several different tiers of game knowledge where AO is concerned. Also a new OP might benefit everyone a bit.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Whitefire posted:

Goon org/channel/discord would be nice. There's several different tiers of game knowledge where AO is concerned. Also a new OP might benefit everyone a bit.

How dare you dis my OP, I spent literal minutes on it.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Lmao

Hit level 17 on my trader

So hard to decide what class to play. But traders probably get groups easy and it was between that or NT

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
NT is actually real good. If you want to find groups easily, enforcer, doc, or anything with dps works just fine. I'm a fixer, which means I don't get the most groups, but I've got nice buffs to make up for it.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I turned myself into a liar and managed to get both panthers on at 20 with some implants and buffs. I am now a Metaphysicist that does at least 1.5x the melee damage of my fully buffed meatball.

I don't know what the next level boost is going to be, but I hope it stays low enough for me to enjoy this for awhile.

Whitefire
Oct 9, 2007

DEE DEEEEE
Two panthers can really wreck, I watched a trox enforcer in my team solo defender of the three just to prove he could do it, and he even let me keep the skull.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Whitefire posted:

There’s an existing discord for the Games forum; we could probs just hop in there (maybe?)

nerox
May 20, 2001
Got my enforcer to 20.

Guess I should try to get into a decent implant set and maybe do some carb armor.

Whitefire
Oct 9, 2007

DEE DEEEEE
Brief question about implants, how do people get those omni med clothes to boost treatment high enough to get the 3rd/4th tier of profession implants on? Since I'm floating in cultist bux after spending hours solo farming the temple, I figured that might be something worth looking into.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Whitefire posted:

Brief question about implants, how do people get those omni med clothes to boost treatment high enough to get the 3rd/4th tier of profession implants on? Since I'm floating in cultist bux after spending hours solo farming the temple, I figured that might be something worth looking into.

You buy them in in Omni land from any basic clothing shop. I don’t think they’re guaranteed to have every piece though so you may have to visit several terminals

Conskill
May 7, 2007

If you're floating in the other kind of cultist bux, the Backyard Explorer pack from the microtrans store includes a med suit.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

fashionly snort posted:

You buy them in in Omni land from any basic clothing shop. I don’t think they’re guaranteed to have every piece though so you may have to visit several terminals

they're definitely not guaranteed to have every piece, that is correct

if youre clan or whatever i can help you get it :)

nerox posted:

Got my enforcer to 20.

Guess I should try to get into a decent implant set and maybe do some carb armor.

trader is 20 now and yeah, he def needs some work.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Hit 20 on my engineer, time to start doing some tradeskilling. Maybe mission roll for some nanos and hit some dynacamps. Really get the full experience.

nerox
May 20, 2001

ElBrak posted:

Hit 20 on my engineer, time to start doing some tradeskilling. Maybe mission roll for some nanos and hit some dynacamps. Really get the full experience.

Hello friend, can you build carbonium armor?

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

nerox posted:

Do you have all the parts for the QL you need? And do you have mass relocating robots? Because I think that’s all (lol) that’s stopping me from being able to make it

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

arent the MRRs like 25k/pop or something

nerox
May 20, 2001
My character is having a fun bug. When I spend IP and hit save changes.... it just doesn't save.

I can't raise my nanos at all :(

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Did you relog?

Are you level 14?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

give it to me straight, is this game good

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

frajaq posted:

do you like other games designed in the 90s ?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Statutory Ape posted:

do you like other games designed in the 90s ?

I'm a millennial and my first MMO was Ragnarok Online

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

frajaq posted:

I'm a millennial and my first MMO was Ragnarok Online

tbh its a trick question regardless. the game is not good, but you should still play it

Conskill
May 7, 2007

frajaq posted:

The game has more Star Wars Galaxies DNA in it than World of Warcraft. It's a clunky-rear end game that's charm is a bizarre techno-magical setting and the ability to do wild things with your character's build -- almost everything is based on your character's skill levels rather than your holistic character level, and there are many ways to both permanently and temporarily raise your skills to cast spells or equip items you "shouldn't" be able to.

The actual mechanics of murdering critters range from tolerable to meh depending on class, and the raid scene is hilariously, almost unplayably retro. Without the nostalgia bug, this game's only there for the complex character building and the peek into pre-themepark MMOs.

Whitefire
Oct 9, 2007

DEE DEEEEE
Also, the world is unbelievably huge and it takes a considerable amount of time to travel around it, especially on the new server. There's little to no teleporting and it's possible to play for years without seeing all or even most of the wide world. If you've mostly grappled with WoW, FF14, or any other modern hit, it's possible that you'll be wowed by the size and scope of the world. It's the gameplay that aged, it's not very pretty at times, but the possibilities for twinking a character and abusing the game mechanics at these low cap levels are unreal. It's a game that we enjoy because of the age and depth of an early title to the genre, not because it's good or anything, and definitely not because it's balanced.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

For the uninitiated, there are three tiers of teleporting in AO.

1) Whompahs. Think flight-paths from WoW, but each segment only takes as much time as it takes to load the next zone. These are open to everyone, take no money or skill, and form a broad but not very dense network across the game -- you can jump in less than a minute from one side of the game to the other, but there's not many places to stop in between.

2) The Grid. Think a special short-cut zone full of teleporters. These are skill-locked (to the Computer Literacy skill), but open to any class that wants to make the buy in. More and more Comp Lit opens more short cuts.

3) Profession-specific travel. Fixers get the Fixer Grid, like #2 but way more teleport locations. Doctors (and I think Fixers?) get the ability to enter the Grid from anywhere on Rubi-ka. Nano-Technicians get WoW-Mage-style city teleport programs.

Currently #1 is completely available, bits of #2 is (Computer Literacy can't be boosted high enough yet to make full use of the Grid), and #3 is not available (AFAIK none of the options I listed are castable at the current cap, even with twinking).

I'd argue that's a lot of teleporting, actually, though the spirit of Whitefire's comment is true. The idea again is AO is huge and the non-Fixer Grid sources of teleportation are all wide but not dense. Even though you can get from anywhere with Whompah/Grid access to anywhere else on the networks really quickly, that "small" distance left to walk through the woods can still be quite a few minutes long.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

eh worth a try, the current PoE league sucks anyway

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

nerox posted:

Ya probably, but the cost of the tools is really freaking high for a level 20 engineer. the pattern cutters are like 22k each and you need 6 of them for a full set of armor, but at least they're reusable.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Statutory Ape posted:

arent the MRRs like 25k/pop or something

the mass relocating robots are way more expensive than that even at ql20 but are reusable, but you can also use a screwdriver instead but it takes way more skill.

nerox
May 20, 2001
I couldn't find anyone to craft Carb last night in OOC at all, so it may be a worthwhile investment to buy the stuff needed to make it.

I haven't seen a lot of people running around in carb yet, but it is ridiculously cheap to make once you get the initial investment done in the patterns.

QL30 Carb plates are in the Fair Trade store for for like 3k a piece. So a full set of QL30 is about 21k in variable costs. If you can get to where you can make that with a screwdriver (180 Mechanical Engineering and 165 Electrical Engineering) I bet you could charge 20-30k to craft a set for people with their mats and they wouldn't bat an eye.

Doing it with MRR would be 130 Mech and a stupid low amount of EE. But a QL50ish Mass relocating robot is over a million credits and then you got to get the shape hard armor item from a team mission reward.

Its way easier to buy a 500 cred screwdriver and build specific implants for making carb.

I will most likely end up rolling an engi just to tradeskill with, cause I always loved tradeskills in this.

edit:
The etches are 22k each, they only seem to come in QL10, so I guess they don't matter
Screwdriver is 515 credits
So roughly 136k for the startup costs, then just math to see what QL you can go up to.

Carb was pretty much my armor all the way until Tier 1 in SL, the +NCU is so useful.

nerox fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 13, 2019

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Anarchy Online's Story in a Nutshell:

I did a post like this for the previous thread, and figured since there's newbie interest I'd do it again. Anarchy Online's story is terribly translated and spread through a lot of source material, including a novel (Prophet Without Honour). But don't worry, I nerded out so you don't have to. I'm including details up to and including Prophet Without Honour, but leaving out Shadowlands and Alien Invasion additions because progression server. All details are from memory.

In the beginning there was the Source. The Source is the source of all life and possibly all existence and in the original state of the universe it was physically present in the galaxy.

The Xan were the firstborn of the universe, the progenitor race from which all other sapient creatures in the galaxy diverge from. They created an advanced technological empire and using their metaphysical tech attempted to directly exploit the Source for its unlimited power. This broke the universe -- the metaphysical Source was thrown into another dimension, leaving behind a barren shell that humanity would later call Rubi-ka.

Fast forward a few zillion years. The Xan that got thrown out of the universe with the Source evolved and morphed into two species and ideologies. The Redeemed are ethereal, angelic beings that seek to prevent further damage to the universe. The Unredeemed are stark, demonic beings that want to try again figuring this time they'll get it right. The Xan that stayed in the universe eventually became humanity and other "alien" species.

The Redeemed and Unredeemed have some kind of limited access to reality, and the Unredeemed sought to exploit humanity in their quest to try and unlock the Source (again). Being demonic assholes, this begins with the near-annihilation of the human race. Using their technology, they elicit the help of corporate elites to usher in a new world order. A bio-engineered plague winnows much of humanity away, meanwhile previously unimaginable nanotech permits the capitalists to become immortal beings called the Omega. The Omega rule as tyrannical oligarchies for thousands of years, before a messiah-like figure (propped up by the Redeemed) overthrows them.

A few of the Omega survive the purges that follow and eventually go to found an incredibly powerful corporation called Omni-Tek. They pioneer research into nanotechnology and space exploration and, again across thousands of years, eventually discover Rubi-ka. Rubi-ka was a Mars-like barren planet prior to Omni-Tek terraforming it, and they did so because it is the sole source of the element Notum. Notum by some physically suspicious means hyper-charges nanotechnology and allows it to perform miraculous feats that, coincidentally, might bring a historian to remember the Omega.

You see, remember that Rubi-ka is the physical shell of the Source, and some of its cosmic power was calcified into it. Notum is magic, literally. It is magic in physical form and nanotechnology infused by it (which is now virtually all nanotechnology) is a hyper-involved, rational approach to casting magic spells.

So Omni-Tek claims Rubi-ka, terraforms it just enough to be profitable, and starts shipping out tons and tons of Notum for research and production across the galaxy. Because they are genocidal capitalist assholes they do this in the most amoral way possible, eventually instigating revolt among their workforce. Work disagreements turn to open revolution and the nascent Clans claim the desert, barely terraformed lands to the north.

That's roughly where the Progression server is story-wise (the story continues through the Anarchy Online expansions). Omni-tek and the Clans are in open conflict over who truly owns the planet, meanwhile the Unredeemed and Omega continue to probe at the borders of reality here where it's at its thinnest to see how they can access the Source. Something is going to break, and hopefully it won't be humanity. Again.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Livestream said the reason for the level cap is because a lot of people like the slower progression and a lot of people don't like it.

:iiam: :thunk:

Notrum Wars and 30 on Friday probably.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Anyone want to either run some team missions or try to farm some TotW tonight? I’m going to be on in an hour or so

brothertim
Mar 6, 2013
Still a stupid newbie by several accounts, but Fixer is definitely one of the most fun profs i've played (engineer is a blast, but aggro mechanics are kinda wonky). I made a big mistake of not going neutral, which I realized as I started the fixer grid questline.

For dude asking if the game is good, there's nothing to lose by downloading it and giving it a whirl. The 90s feel is very strong, the controls aren't perfect, the camera either. But there's just something about this game that is really good. Atmosphere maybe. Loads of charm. There's a bunch of very nice players in-game too, willing to give advice and help if you need it.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

The people in game tend to be as helpful as any ive played with in any game.

most of the game is veterans at this point- and most of us remember what starting out was like

nerox
May 20, 2001
AO was released in 2001, not the 90's. :argh:

I still remember getting in the beta and the beta client was on 2 or 3 cd-roms. :v:

brothertim
Mar 6, 2013

nerox posted:

AO was released in 2001, not the 90's. :argh:

Development would've started in the mid-late 90s though, and the game would've been influenced heavily by that decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

hello

(I'm sorry)