Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
I missed the old AO thread and am thinking of trying to play again. Come join me in celebrating this old dead game by posting in this thread and maybe playing? Also if anyone was wondering the original poster of the previous thread broke his 30 year record of not posting anywhere to come and personally close the thread.

Edit: Oh here's a link to the steam store page if you wanna play yourself? https://store.steampowered.com/app/396280/ Ya for real they put this old dead game up on steam, the future is wild.

ElBrak fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

do they have cat girls

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Hexel posted:

do they have cat girls

Sadly no!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

This keeps popping up in my recommendations on Steam but there wasn't a thread here so I didn't bother with it.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

super sweet best pal posted:

This keeps popping up in my recommendations on Steam but there wasn't a thread here so I didn't bother with it.

I am glad that you can now play this old rear end MMO. It's good, maybe.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Hexel posted:

do they have cat girls

They have deformed old people without mouths as a character option, though.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I seem to remember blue space elf girls?

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

7c Nickel posted:

I seem to remember blue space elf girls?

They're grey, but yeah. Opifex.

All the playable breeds are human off-shoots to varying degrees of distance, but one of them is definitely short, nimble, and grey.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Despite having boring combat and being one of the oldest feeling things around that isn't everquest, I really like a lot of things about this game. The overwhelming leveling system that will let you nerf yourself into the ground, the contrast of rubi-ka and the shadowlands, the stupid amount of equipment slots, the nuts amount of only slightly ridiculous crafting, the absurd twinking. There's a lot of good or at least neat stuff in AO, on top of all the old bad poo poo.

Can I get all the expansions for free yet?

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
I played again about 6 months ago, got a MA to like 190 or something. Game isn't as dead as I thought it would be, still a few people kicking around. Luckily I had access to most necessary buffs, myself, between 3 different accounts.

Economy is completely hosed beyond belief. Duping credits was a thing for awhile apparently.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I recall that being true as of at least a year and a half ago, so the credit duping happened sometime before then. But I was able to run nano crystal missions as a Fixer and made hundreds of millions in like four or five days.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

PriNGLeS posted:

Economy is completely hosed beyond belief. Duping credits was a thing for awhile apparently.

*receives 200 credits from a mission*

:toot:

*looks up price on a piece of good gear*

1.5 billion credits. Full set discount at only 9 billion!

:suicide:

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP

Fewd posted:

*receives 200 credits from a mission*

:toot:

*looks up price on a piece of good gear*

1.5 billion credits. Full set discount at only 9 billion!

:suicide:

I just bought credits from the Chinese. They also sell items themselves that often have a better exchange rate.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Yeah just rmt a bil or 2 for like five bucks

Hakkeshu
Aug 10, 2005

Blinging in the Wastes!
I loved playing an atrox and then going around athens during the early days wearing a bikini and bending over people, one dude sent me a tell saying how disgusting I am, made my day.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
One of my favourite memories of early AO is a picture of an Atrox in a wedding dress.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Heh yeah, lots of fun memories about AO. My favorite is way back when it had players.

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

If you can't be right, be confusing.
If anyone wants to relive the nostalgia, AO is free this week (Oct 12-19). From their FB page:

Halloween descends on Rubi-ka October 12 - November 5!

Hop in for a new outdoor encounter, new 1-month subscription offer, and a FREE WEEK* for anyone with an account in good standing!

(*Free Week - October 12 - October 19, 2018)

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Bieeanshee posted:

One of my favourite memories of early AO is a picture of an Atrox in a wedding dress.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Magnificent! :aaaaa:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

AO still costs money? Who the gently caress pays to play this game now?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Not only does it have sub, but unless something changed lol no, it's the most expensive one of the western mmo's. If memory serves from last time, it's around 17.xx € for a monthly?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I played this once during one of their free trials some years back. The UI was complicated, the controls were backwards even for an ancient mmo, and when I clicked on a guard I automatically shot him and he shot me, killing my brand new guy on the spot.

Has there been any attempt to modernize it since?

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

it's the exact same game except I think they changed the tutorial area and you can use directx 10 for out of place graphics options

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Freakazoid_ posted:

and when I clicked on a guard I automatically shot him and he shot me, killing my brand new guy on the spot.

lol

Jamcreek
Apr 18, 2018
Best "themeparkedish" game iīve ever played. Do people actually still play this? Havenīt been online for a few years.

But now and then i get the itch to log on and do some TOTW with my Martial Artist.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Ya, there is a decent population, most people hang out in ICC since its a good hub to get where ever you need to go.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Clicksaver

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
I remember playing this back in 2006 for a few months, was actually pretty fun and active back then.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

The only thing I remember about AO was my college roommate played it with goons, and there was some complicated gearing ladder where you had to get certain buffs and gear to bootstrap your way into equipping more powerful gear.

It sounded very complicated. If you're still out there goon roommate, I salute your min maxing.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

AO is probably my favorite game of all time

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Chomposaur posted:

The only thing I remember about AO was my college roommate played it with goons, and there was some complicated gearing ladder where you had to get certain buffs and gear to bootstrap your way into equipping more powerful gear.

It sounded very complicated. If you're still out there goon roommate, I salute your min maxing.

I love this poo poo and I will never forget the day I ran in to a guy wearing grid armor in TOTW

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

If you can't be right, be confusing.

Chomposaur posted:

The system wasn't that complicated, but there were too many gear slots: armor, weapons, HUD items, and implants. On top of that, classes had unique stat buffs. So you could ladder your way to the moon at low levels, with enough effort. I think for many veteran players, that was the appeal. You felt like you earned your busted gear.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
You couldn't just put it on like in EQ1. You had to camp buffing gear, buy stuff from other players, and run around for specific buffs while calculating stuff on the casio you kept by your PC. It was glorious. Imagine pumping up your level 25 character to the point where they can solo level 100 enemies.

brothertim
Mar 6, 2013
Just started playing again for the first time in 15 years. Man, the characters feel like 4 polygons. I really hope someday they'll modernize it. Also, not sure if it's common knowledge, but you can download the "New Engine" which is currently in open beta from their website. I'm at work, so I can't link it.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

brothertim posted:

Just started playing again for the first time in 15 years. Man, the characters feel like 4 polygons. I really hope someday they'll modernize it.

lol, never

get used to it imo. the armor/items later on look a lot better.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i like the way anarchy online looks and u cant stop me

bc im a fixer

meep meep

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
same I love the way it looks

brothertim
Mar 6, 2013
I guess I should've been more clear, I don't dislike the low-poly characters I had just forgotten how low they were. I think that's part of the charm, though.

What I mean by hoping they modernize the game is I hope they improve the UI/options and how the game runs on modern machines. Running on a 1080ti and still getting ~40fps. I watched some youtube vid on improving performance, but it didn't do anything. Maybe someone here has advice? Also, being able to move the castbar/attackbar with default ui would be nice, but I could just install a custom UI I suppose.

Overall, none of the above is a deal-breaker. It's still such an awesome game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Use the old client, it has less slowdowns. ICC will always be laggy because it's poorly optimized. You can customize the UI to a certain extent, but it'll always be very 90s