Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

People in my theatre were laughing as soon as the CD was being out into the drive. Just CD-ROMs themselves were funny to people.

Not sure what the best joke was. That scene was good but the flerken stuff got good reactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It was spoiled in the trailers but the punch and subsequent fight against the old lady got a good reaction from the crowd I was with.

That smile before the punch was fantastic.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
In retrospect the thread title change was pretty prescient.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

howe_sam posted:

Huh, I can't say as I recall any version of how Carol got her powers where she actively made it happen. Don't most versions simply say that Mar-Vell shielded her from the blast of the magic wish machine and his DNA got grafted onto hers? While that was a pretty typical explanation for how Marvel's female superheroes got their powers back in the day (see also She Hulk), I can see why Marvel would want to make the source of Carol's powers innate to her by making her half Kree. And personally I thought the issue that explained all that did a decent enough job of explaining the dynamics of Carol's parents' relationship. I can see though where if your read on her origin was that she wished to have powers when the Psyche Magnetron exploded how you'd find the revised origin unnecessary.

So spoilers I guess

[Spoilers] The film I think kind of leaves it open for Carol's mum to be a Kree. They mention her but she's not in any of the flashbacks. Really they can try and marry the two by saying that Carol was half Kree and never knew it. And that's what let her survive the engine blowing up and got powers out of the bargin.[/spoilers]

For me, one of the most interesting aspects of Carol is that she's Half-Kree. She gets citizenship to a people she never knew about because of their weird rules. And it gives her a cool hook.

One of my favourite uses of her is how in Hickman's Avengers when the fight back against the Builder's begins, she goes to Hala to rally the Kree Empire.
Its a really cool scene.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I think it's cool to make her part Kree because that's different and makes for some drama but it's not needed to explain her powers. Surviving accidents in a freak way and getting powers is just pure comic books.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think there's already enough connection to the Kree, there's no need to introduce another alien parent. They can just claim that having Kree blood transfused into her is sufficient.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 11, 2019

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Also, it would be really similar to movie Starlord.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lobok posted:

Arnold was the one holding a gun so yeah that's a dopey complaint.

no you see he is a MAN so it is a statement about blah blah

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

BrianWilly posted:

In retrospect the thread title change was pretty prescient.

Lol yeah I just noticed that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Skulls aren't the enemy, they protect your brain

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Chud skulls are extra thick though, they interfere with understanding and reason so in a way they really are the enemy.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Chud skulls are extra thick though, they interfere with understanding and reason so in a way they really are the enemy.

I've said it before, but coopting the term CHUD to be an online right burn thing just doesn't wash, Bosch. (That's a quote from C.H.U.D.)

I do think mixing shape shifting aliens and cannibalistic humanoid underground dwellers could make for a fun plot, that's what I'm about. I love CHUD, and I'm no "chud", unless it means something cool.

Oh yeah, Captain Marvel, I came to post about that. Very good fun movie, I liked how it was "low stakes" (at least for the most part), and didn't have a conventional origin first act. Just kind of felt like a good humble respectable and clever flick. Which is a thumbs up from me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/TeamHellboy/status/1105207390885105665

Hell yeah Gruagach.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Gaunab posted:

I liked the loading screen joke. "What's happening?"

Everyone in my screening was old enough to remember that. The joke got doubled because moments later the movie started buffering out of nowhere. We had like 5 minutes of people making "They haven't paid the internet service!/They should change to Infinitum! (A Mexican provider)/That's what you get from buying the pirated CD" jokes.

I also made everyone laugh because I snorted-laughed really loud during the part were Fury gets scanned, I already had a bit of an idea what the joke was gonna be, it was too obvious, so I couldn't help it but laugh before it landed, I just had fun.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hey they finally made a version of Carol Danvers that's likeable. Took 40 years but they did it!

The movie owns, none of the criticisms I've seen on social media hold any water. I don't understand how people are calling it cookie cutter Marvel when the tone and structure differ wildly from every other origin movie. Even goddamn Ant-man fought Evil Bigger Ant-man in the third act of his movie. And while Carol had allies in this film, she didn't defeat the bad guys with the power of friendship either. She took care of most the problems herself, like some kind of... super... hero?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I agree it owns, I can see why it didn't do it for everyone though. But the imdb number is lower than I expected. It's kind of low-key for a lot of it, offbeat, quirky in subtle ways, doesn't feel like a big or important story etc. I just like all that. I can see how it wouldn't click for some. I do like how they mix things up. I even liked how Spider-Man: Homecoming didn't do an origin. In general I think they realize that we've seen similar takes on origin stories way too many times, and it's okay to just drop us in and get to know characters in other ways. (Though Spiderverse owned)

Also I had just rewatched Commando the day prior, so the ending fight really delighted me. Pretty drat funny.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

There isn't a big enough version of :allears: to describe the joy I got out of seeing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p6qW7CBxxA

Day. One.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The imdb number, like all review site numbers about this movie, is being mass downvoted by idiots with a bad political agenda, probably using a bunch of fake accounts.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Lurdiak posted:

The imdb number, like all review site numbers about this movie, is being mass downvoted by idiots with a bad political agenda, probably using a bunch of fake accounts.

Yeah, we have reached the a time when you shouldn't trust sites that allow users to vote. To be honest, you are better asking to real people in the real world how was the movie, you have a bigger chance of getting a sincere review of the movie you want to watch. (Or you read the posts here, I use you guys as an indicator if a movie is gonna suck or not, or it's not gonna be my cup of tea).

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

For sure, I don't really myself. My all time favorite movie is a hair lower on imdb than that. (Repo Man)

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Cinemascore for Captain Marvel was A right? That tells you more than the IMDB or Rottentomatoes audience scores.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yep, Cinemascores are easily the best metric to refer to if you want to gauge audience reactions for a film. Rotten tomatoes and IMDB are too unreliable with how they can be/are manipulated.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:
I'm probably missing something simple with the new Carol Danvers origin but if Kree + Human = super overpowered hero, why isn't Mr. Sinister or the Kree empire abusing this?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Donde Esta posted:

I'm probably missing something simple with the new Carol Danvers origin but if Kree + Human = super overpowered hero, why isn't Mr. Sinister or the Kree empire abusing this?

The kree blood has nothing to do with her superpowers.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Donde Esta posted:

Carol got her powers in a freak accident, not because she's got Kree blood.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i mean, i dont think terrigen is kree blood or anything but they did gently caress around with humans and create the inhumans

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:
The synopsis I read said that the accident was an "activation" in the new lore, but I guess thats wrong. Either way, I liked the MCU version as is doesn't seem like something easily replicated.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Donde Esta posted:

The synopsis I read said that the accident was an "activation" in the new lore, but I guess thats wrong. Either way, I liked the MCU version as is doesn't seem like something easily replicated.

Yeah, the film states Carol's power has the same energy signature as the engine Mar-Vell designed so her power is derived from the Tesseract/space stone.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lurdiak posted:

Hey they finally made a version of Carol Danvers that's likeable. Took 40 years but they did it!

The movie owns, none of the criticisms I've seen on social media hold any water. I don't understand how people are calling it cookie cutter Marvel when the tone and structure differ wildly from every other origin movie. Even goddamn Ant-man fought Evil Bigger Ant-man in the third act of his movie. And while Carol had allies in this film, she didn't defeat the bad guys with the power of friendship either. She took care of most the problems herself, like some kind of... super... hero?

Bog standard in the Hero is a jerk, something happens to make them not a jerk, then they're a hero and save the day. That's about it. They forget that's pretty much the heroes journey at its most base form.

But that's like saying the story has a beginning, a middle and an end. Or that is contains a McGuffin or some other standard writing tool.

Mr_Moose
May 4, 2004
In my head cannon Nick Fury actually didn't lie to anyone about how he lost his eye and instead gave a vague description such as he 'suffered an attack from an alien during the mission' and just let people's imagination run wild.

I kept waiting for the part of the movie that would make me feel indifferent about it, as not crazy people keep describing it as merely middle tier, but I thought it was a pretty well done Marvel movie overall. I felt thoroughly entertained and was happy with the twists. I definitely also was prepared at all times for the Skrull to betray Carol until they introduced the family.

It's amazing how loud some of the toxic online culture has become. I think you have to have a very special brain texture to think this movie attacks white males by daring to be about a confident powerful woman. It's cool how they've set up Monica for future movies too.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Donde Esta posted:

I'm not saying Carol should have her powers because one of her parents was Kree (in the comics.)

But freak accident PLUS alien ancestry equal super powers is :discourse: by me.

In the comics she is 50% Kree and always has been. (Whether that as a result of her parents or a wish machine or some combination of the two.)

In the MCU... It's unclear. She gets hit by energy and has powers. Then she spends six years on Hala being raised by the Kree. It's clear that they were telling her she was a Kree soldier all this time but would she not know that biological she's different to the rest?
Yog does say he gave her a blood transfusion, but that could have been a lie as part of her fake origin
But if it's true how does that work? She actually does have Kree blood? Was she changed to accept it?
And then there is the fact that when she's remembering her past her mother is not shown and it generally looks like they are trying to adapt the current comic stuff of her mum being a Kree. (Possibly for a sequel.)

I get the feeling that that they want MCU Carol to be half Kree but didn't explicitly say it, or it got muddled by the films "Your past is a lie" plot.

Basically I like Carol as a Kree hybrid as it means you can have future versions of her who rules the Kree Empire. Which is cool.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Red Letter Media's Captain Marvel review is up and they spend like 70% of the thing trying to expose some supposed hypocrisy of Brie Larson instead of talking about the movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pQNYeOEFJc

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
This is all because of that one tweet about not wanting to get hit on in an airport isn't it

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

Red Letter Media's Captain Marvel review is up and they spend like 70% of the thing trying to expose some supposed hypocrisy of Brie Larson instead of talking about the movie.

The initial ~6 minutes talking about Milwaukee tourism is the best part imo. I legit thought that was going to be the whole video. Would have been perfect if it were.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Remind me again why anyone likes Red Letter Media.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They're funny

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Did they start being funny after he stopped doing a bit about keeping a prostitute locked up in his basement, or are we counting that too?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pQNYeOEFJc

20 minutes to get to the actual review. That's a real dumpster fire of a video. Anyway, now to read the comments... Oh god, no.

Kai Tave posted:

Remind me again why anyone likes Red Letter Media.

I like them because they're funny. They're quite knowledgeable about film and the film making process. And I don't think they take themselves too seriously.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Half in the Bag is probably their worst output, I don't often bother with it anymore. Re:View is where the good stuff is, Best of the Worst being reliably good too. They did a Re:View of True Stories and I'll always like them for that because that movie rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I just watch Best of the Worst.