Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

glowing-fish posted:

It is Tuesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goons Are Gifts

Is byob going to be deleted??

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Goons Are Great posted:

Is byob going to be deleted??

Yes

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

It is Friday, everyone must drink heartily of the weed eater and smoke backwoods like it's going out of style even though it already went out of style

Jaded Burnout

glowing-fish posted:

There is a BYOB short movie club.

We should also do a byob feature length film club

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Jaded Burnout posted:

We should also do a byob feature length film club

The biggest problem is:

:filez:

and attention spans.

There are a lot of freely available 10 minute long films to share online. Trying to herd cats to get everyone to find and watch a feature length movie seems rather...daunting.

Jaded Burnout

glowing-fish posted:

The biggest problem is:

:filez:

In the age of netflix and hulu and yahoo and The Prime?

glowing-fish posted:

and attention spans.

There are a lot of freely available 10 minute long films to share online. Trying to herd cats to get everyone to find and watch a feature length movie seems rather...daunting.

well then they can just read about it :colbert:

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Jaded Burnout posted:

I kinda feel like we passed the cool point where one could think of a movie, check online, and it'd usually be on either Netflix or Amazon. Now I'll think of a movie and lots of times it's only available to rent for $4 rental or maybe it's on some service I don't subscribe to like FXNOW. We all knew that the times where Netflix had thousands of movies and you could pay under $10 a month to watch any of em wasn't going to last, but it was sweet while it did.

Now there's a new Twilight Zone that looks cool but CBS has their own streaming thing now? Gah!

While I'm at it, what's with all of these clouds? We know the sun is back there, what else are you hiding? Are those kids riding their bikes right through my grass? GAH!

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,

Jaded Burnout posted:

Not everyone has Netflix? I don't.

But, that is why I started my thread. I would hazard to say that if there is positive feedback of people who can say "Yes, I will sit down and watch this 10 minute long short video on YouTube", then it makes sense to say "Everyone, lets all find and watch 'Judgement at Nuremburg' together". But we will see about the first...

BoldFrankensteinMir

The book I'm thinking of is public domain so it shouldn't be a problem getting everyone access to a copy. And it's a collection of short poetry so there are obvious breaks. Do y'all think we could make it 60-70 poems in a thread without losing interest though? And should I do it as a day-of-the-week thing?

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

BYOB has more of the attention span of like, Chicken Soup with Rice but we can definitely try a book of poetry.

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

The book I'm thinking of is public domain so it shouldn't be a problem getting everyone access to a copy. And it's a collection of short poetry so there are obvious breaks. Do y'all think we could make it 60-70 poems in a thread without losing interest though? And should I do it as a day-of-the-week thing?

I will take place in this. Yes, one a day? That sounds about right.

xcheopis

hamjobs posted:

BYOB has more of the attention span of like, Chicken Soup with Rice but we can definitely try a book of poetry.

They should name a good strain that and then people can say,
Toking once, toking twice
Toking chicken soup with rice

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

xcheopis posted:

They should name a good strain that and then people can say,
Toking once, toking twice
Toking chicken soup with rice

I mean I've got a strain that is a cross of Tangie x Mango Gelato x Sunrise Sherbet x White Widow, but it's not chicken-y at all

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I gotta make a strain that tastes like soup in a bread bowl brb going to play with the plants

Farecoal

There he go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmZMMSDx3Yg

BoldFrankensteinMir

glowing-fish posted:

I will take place in this. Yes, one a day? That sounds about right.

One a day might be a lot. I have a lot on my plate and this is a long-game project. Maybe I post the next poem each Tuesday and Saturday? I think a couple days to think it over is a nice leisurely pace. There are also lots of pictures.

Goons Are Gifts

As a friend of literature, I'd support any kind of writing!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Goons Are Great posted:

As a friend of literature, I'd support any kind of writing!

What about the writing I found on the wall of the public toilet today:

Baby love good time free feet
Call me call me
Good feet free

Poetic as gently caress

alnilam

Good foots!
(hobbit objecting) Good feet!

ty manifisto

Jaded Burnout

hobbit, objecting is a great Winona Ryder film

Goons Are Gifts

hamjobs posted:

What about the writing I found on the wall of the public toilet today:

Baby love good time free feet
Call me call me
Good feet free

Poetic as gently caress

That's the kind of highest literature art we should enjoy together

Goons Are Gifts

How many books does byob own? Let's all read one today, deal?

Jaded Burnout

baby we don’t need to take our
shoes off
to have a good time, good feet

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,
Apparently, it is Tuesday again, or as we call second Tuesday, Twosday.

I had a man come and inspect the gas devices in my apartment. Apparently that just meant he had to confirm that there, indeed, was nothing that ran on gas in my apartment.

I had been worried about this for a week, because while I could read the Spanish notice of the inspection, the context of it was opaque to me. I asked the concierge about it but could not understand the answer. That is kind of the problem about my language skills here, that while I can get the first level of literal information, the context of it is often confusing, especially when it is something that doesn't make sense to me or I am unfamiliar with it.

Anyway, so the take away is, sometimes its okay not to worry, although in the process of worrying, I cleaned my apartment yesterday, and am enjoying a clean apartment, so sometimes is okay to worry, too.

Jaded Burnout

Or as the song goes, don't worry, be gassy

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,
It is Tuesday, time to post in every thread!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Advice wanted:

I want to go on an adventure. I have physical/mobility issues but I like being outdoors. I would prefer it to not be on the North American continent and a place I've never been, which excludes most of South America, Australia, New Zealand, Southeast Asia and India. It also excludes most of Europe.

I need suggestions from people on good places to research and travel to, where I can just sort of hide inside another place for a couple of weeks but also still get outside.

ETA: I've heard Johannesburg is lit, can anyone confirm?

alnilam

There's a lot of variety in all of those regions though

Is car rental / short term buying a possibility or would you rather stick with transit

ty manifisto

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,

hamjobs posted:

Advice wanted:

I want to go on an adventure. I have physical/mobility issues but I like being outdoors. I would prefer it to not be on the North American continent and a place I've never been, which excludes most of South America, Australia, New Zealand, Southeast Asia and India. It also excludes most of Europe.

I need suggestions from people on good places to research and travel to, where I can just sort of hide inside another place for a couple of weeks but also still get outside.

ETA: I've heard Johannesburg is lit, can anyone confirm?

Just throwing that out there:

Cabo Verde Islands/Canary Islands/Azores (or Macaronesia)

Reason I suggest this: it is off the beaten path, but not too far off the beaten path, will have modern necessities, and is pretty safe. It also is not one of the places you have been, I am assuming (when people say "most of Europe", it doesn't usually refer to the Canary Islands)

alnilam

what about some islanda like the açores

alnilam

lol damnit fish

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,

alnilam posted:

lol damnit fish

Great minds think alike.

Jaded Burnout

have you been to the england yet

iceland is real nice also if you like that sort of thing (and i do)

Jaded Burnout

If you go to a canary island don't go to fuerteventura, it sucks

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Go to Finland and doze in a glass igloo under the northern lights

Jaded Burnout

Bo-Pepper posted:

Go to Finland and doze in a glass igloo under the northern lights

I spent my 18th birthday with friends in hot tubs under the aurora borealis in iceland. Heck of a school trip, that one.

alnilam

I know you've been to S america but patagonia de chile is a fantastic place to get lost for a few weeks. I could post a lot about it if you want. Although the backpacking was a highlight for me, road tripping along the carreterra austral was probably equally amazing. Gotta be one of the most scenic roadways in the world. I posted pics somewhere upthread but i can re post if u want

Renting a car is kinda pricey though :( and you'll want 4WD in many gravelly parts of it, although it's getting more and more paved over time. Coyhaique is the town and airport i started from.

I think it could work well too for an ad hoc adventure because in every tiny town you pass through, there are at least a few modest cabins that random landowners have built in their backyard and will rent for like $10 a night, and those towns are cute and nice and surrounded by incredible scenery. Also plenty of great roadside camping spots if tent is an option for you. Pretty empty too, and most visitors are from central Chile or Argentina so if you like getting away from your compatriots it's good for that too

Even myself having already been there and generally inclined to explore new places, if i wanted to get lost in beautiful scenery for a few weeks by car, I'd still probably choose it again.

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
depends on what you mean with "adventure", but going on a trip through the balkans is a delight. bonus points for albania, as it's a pretty weird place

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
some border crossings can be a hassle, but in my experience it only gets extremely dumb if you're trying to cross into hungary from serbia (which you wont, as hungary is not part of the balkans!)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)